FishDuck Article

Utah GameDay Thread: Is Pursuing the Playoffs a Crock?

On 11/20/2021 at 7:03 PM, latracey said:

Can the Ducks put this loss behind them and rally to beat the Beavers?

I really don't think so. I'm all for supporting these young men but the truth hurts... our team isn't that good. Really have a lot of promise and potential but not that good at this point. I believe they have overachieved this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

MC has hit his ceiling.  Don't tell me it's injuries, this is fully out coached by a great coach.  3x best Pac recruiting class means nothing if you don't coach them up.  Could finish 12-2 but bark rats gotta be smelling blood.  Get to the Rose and a B1G team will destroy us.  Pittman leaving not a good sign.  If AB is our best chance to win this year, future not so bright.  ABs 2 yard throws, and under thrown and over thrown 1st downs is pathetic, sorry.  Delay if game again?  Just not prepared.  MC will not bring us a natty

Edited by JDuck
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, JDuck said:

MC has hit his ceiling.  Don't tell me it's injuries, this is fully out coached by a great coach.  3x best Pac recruiting class means nothing if you don't coach them up.  Could finish 12-2 but bark rats gotta be smelling blood.  Get to the Rise and a B1G team will destroy us.  Pittman leaving not a good sign.  If AB is our best chance to win this year, future not so bright.  ABs 2 yard throws, and under thrown and over thrown 1st downs is pathetic, sorry.  Delay if game again?  Just not prepared.  MC will not bring us a natty

You absolutely have to account for injuries.  Go back to the roster and count the number of starters that are out now or for the year.  Now even Verone McKinley was knocked out of the game.  It doesn't matter how well you recruit, Oregon's had an absurd number of injuries this year to critical guys on both 1st and 2nd string.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, JDuck said:

MC has hit his ceiling.  Don't tell me it's injuries, this is fully out coached by a great coach.  3x best Pac recruiting class means nothing if you don't coach them up.  Could finish 12-2 but bark rats gotta be smelling blood.  Get to the Rose and a B1G team will destroy us.  Pittman leaving not a good sign.  If AB is our best chance to win this year, future not so bright.  ABs 2 yard throws, and under thrown and over thrown 1st downs is pathetic, sorry.  Delay if game again?  Just not prepared.  MC will not bring us a natty

I think we have a shot at a natty... if MC gets advisors that tell him what to do in certain situations. Can Uncle Phil bring some more of those in?

And yes, we need to coach them up. How is TT not a better chance to win than AB? An elite coach would have subbed out AB after halftime

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope Thompson comes in for some experience. It appears that Brown has given up and the receivers have given up on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are getting out classes at EVERY LEVEL.  OSU gotta be smelling blood.  Hello New Mexico Spicy Canned Sardines Bowl 

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:13 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Why is MC running out the clock between plays? We need to get all of the plays off that we can... they just let the 3rd quarter run out.

Who runs out the clock down 28?

And yeah, the receivers are clearly frustrated. That's likely why we lost 2 WR commits and MP.

MC doesn’t know what to do when down. It’s 1-0 each play, even when you are down 28. Drives me crazy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

CFP is out.  Will we be in the top 15 tomorrow?  Can we beat these guys in 2 weeks?  Are we looking at the Fiesta Bowl?

Oh the anguish!

I just turned off the TV -I can not bare the agony

• Like 2

Shoo-in Pac-12 2021 Coach of the year Kyle Whittingham and his staff seem to do an excellent job of putting their players in positions to be successful. Even managing to neutralize a top-5 2022 NFL pick.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, DurangoJim said:

MC doesn’t know what to do when down. It’s 1-0 each play, even when you are down 28. Drives me crazy. 

Right? Ground and pound does not work down 28...

Also... that could have been a scoop for 6 the opposite direction.... ugh!

For the most part the season has been more successful than I thought it would be.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Still not sure why we threw so much in this game. AB isn’t awful but you can’t put the game in his throwing ability… especially when he’s having an off day. 

He’s good, just not all the time and unfortunately we don’t know when he’s going to be bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's luck was bound to run out. All the people claiming that Oregon has the best win of the 2021 season will hopefully shut up now. It doesn't matter what you do in week 2 if you cannot win in week 10, 11, 12, etc... 

MC needs to do something different if he's ever going to get Oregon to the promise land. He has to make tough choices for the better of the program. Whatever that is. 

What's the definition of insanity? ... MC clearly doesn't know. 

Good win, Utah.  Tough loss, Ducks. 

Move on. 

There is one more team to face next week... And if we win, then it will still be a good season for a true Duck fan. 

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

Tough night but three of our starting wide receivers were out or quit the team.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, Krsmqn said:

Oregon's luck was bound to run out. All the people claiming that Oregon has the best win of the 2021 season will hopefully shut up now. It doesn't matter what you do in week 2 if you cannot win in week 10, 11, 12, etc... 

MC needs to do something different if he's ever going to get Oregon to the promise land. He has to make tough choices for the better of the program. Whatever that is. 

What's the definition of insanity? ... MC clearly doesn't know. 

Good win, Utah.  Tough loss, Ducks. 

Move on. 

There is one more team to face next week... And if we win, then it will still be a good season for a true Duck fan. 

Go Ducks!

Agreed... and then AB throws a near interception that was way off target... as if to drive the point home. 

AB isnt all that great but our offensive blocking has been pretty bad. This O line could make just about any QB look awful.

Im thinking late season nagging injuries, sore muscles and tendons etc. Which can come from too much physicality during practices? I dunno but football is punishing.

For a coach who prides himself on his big, bad OL, the fact that we barely ran the ball in the first half clearly shows MC's limitations as a coach. In no way could Moorhead be behind this complete 180 in play calling. He is not that stupid, nor would MC let him. MC is a heck of a recruiter though. All those 4-5 stars look great running around without the ball in their hands.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, Buzby said:

For a coach who prides himself on his big, bad OL, the fact that we barely ran the ball in the first half clearly shows MC's limitations as a coach. In no way could Moorhead be behind this complete 180 in play calling. He is not that stupid, nor would MC let him. MC is a heck of a recruiter though. All those 4-5 stars look great running around without the ball in their hands.

Do the rest of you guys think that MC took his trust back out of Moorhead's hands this game and that's what we're seeing in the playcalling? I know JM has expressed hesitancy in praising AB and it wouldn't surprise me if MC was limiting him.

Guess we don’t have a hurry up offense.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did anyone catch the commentator mentioning that "I think the coach told Williams to stay away from Brown"?

If the coaches have to tell the WR's to stay away from the QB because he doesn't make the throws he needs to make... then why is he the starting QB?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State might be favored next week. They did beat these guys and they have a better coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Yep!

5uylwk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Did anyone catch the commentator mentioning that "I think the coach told Williams to stay away from Brown"?

If the coaches have to tell the WR's to stay away from the QB because he doesn't make the throws he needs to make... then why is he the starting QB?

Replay showed Brown hit him in the hands.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

Replay showed Brown hit him in the hands.

I saw that and DW definitely should have made that catch. I just thought it was strange that the commentator says the coaches were trying to sequester DW from AB. DW wouldn't be justified being upset on that particular throw but there were definitely some other connections that AB should've made with DW.

Oh well. Still love our Ducks. This was a tough game but hopefully it'll be a humbling moment for MC that will help him to make some important changes and benefit the program in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow! The wood shed sucks and the state of Utah took us out to it twice in the same week.

What can you say.....we were beaten in every aspect of the game, out-coached and just made to look the fool.

MC will need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to beat the Beavers next weekend.

What a fall it would be to go from being playoff bound in the second to last week to maybe what........a Holiday Bowl if the Beavers own us next week.

Edited by C J

On 11/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Oh well. Still love our Ducks. This was a tough game but hopefully it'll be a humbling moment for MC that will help him to make some important changes and benefit the program in the long run.

hopefully is the key word 

• Like 1

Okay reporters. It's time to ask MC some real questions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, kirklandduck said:

You absolutely have to account for injuries.  Go back to the roster and count the number of starters that are out now or for the year.  Now even Verone McKinley was knocked out of the game.  It doesn't matter how well you recruit, Oregon's had an absurd number of injuries this year to critical guys on both 1st and 2nd string.

Yes, but that doesn’t account for poor play calling, nor MC’s inability to look beyond his favored QB. No doubt injuries have hurt, but Brown throwing bad check down passes on third down and running down the clock when you need to go fast is inexcusable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta luv the Ducks, right?

I can’t wait to watch the rematch in Vegas for the PAC 12 championship!

On 11/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, DurangoJim said:

Yes, but that doesn’t account for poor play calling, nor MC’s inability to look beyond his favored QB. No doubt injuries have hurt, but Brown throwing bad check down passes on third down and running down the clock when you need to go fast is inexcusable. 

Yeah, I can't say I understand MC's decision to stick with AB... doesn't MC know that we need to face Georgia early next season and that TT could really use some experience.

How come TT didn't even get garbage time play?

IF MC isnt careful he could lose a bunch of players and recruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Tough night but three of our starting wide receivers were out or quit the team.

Shouldn’t have needed them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, kirklandduck said:

But we were out classed at all 3 levels, 38-7?  Did not look prepared.  I guess Michigan State knows the feeling.  Cristobal's "physical" wasn't there on either side of the ball tonight 

On 11/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Duck1984 said:

We gotta beat the bark rats or WSU probably wins the north!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, nw777b said:

Okay reporters. It's time to ask MC some real questions. 

I will post the quotes from the MC press conference late tonight, but only the ones of relevance.  So much coach-speak that is useless and the Oregon media will not ask the tough questions because they are complete suck-ups.

Why don't I attend and ask the tough questions?

Because I would lose my credentials within a week.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Duck1984 said:

Has ore clinched the nrth?

I would ask--Where's that up tempo fast paced exciting football you promised? 

Why aren't our other QBs prepared to enter the games?

Why is our lines getting shoved around?

How come key players are getting injured in practice?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, DurangoJim said:

Of course not.  But this isn't just on the QB, Oregon played terribly in just about every single aspect.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, JDuck said:

But we were out classed at all 3 levels, 38-7?  Did not look prepared.  I guess Michigan State knows the feeling.  Cristobal's "physical" wasn't there on either side of the ball tonight 

Preparation does take a hit when injuries pile up. That being said, my original point to the first poster was that you can't discount the effect of injuries when it comes to the number the Oregon has suffered this season.  Case in point, we're starting Jordan Happle with a club on his arm because there's no one else.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:33 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Has ore clinched the nrth?

I am counting on winning next week at home in the Battle for Oregon.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:01 PM, Duck1984 said:

I am counting on winning next week at home in the Battle for Oregon.

Wish I could.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will post the quotes from the MC press conference late tonight, but only the ones of relevance.  So much coach-speak that is useless and the Oregon media will not ask the tough questions because they are complete suck-ups.

Why don't I attend and ask the tough questions?

Because I would lose my credentials within a week.

Love it!!!!

We will be ok though….

Going to squeak one out against the beavers

and get some revenge in vegas

go ducks!!!

we are better than this!! 

I agree tough questions needed for coaches tonight.

Pittman quitting had an affect on team mentally no doubt!

Wow.

People are going to say the same thing they said after the Iowa State fiasco.  

Scheme won this game.  It wasn't muscle. What I mean by that is you don't put four men up against six or seven.  

You will not win that battle.

As for the offense, I've figured Brown out.  He will not go through his full progressions of he is feeling pressure to make a play.  

And when Utah started to blitz, Morehead wouldn't Max protect ( keep a TE and RB as blockers).  Oregon's WRs we're open downfield, all day.  You could see it on the replays.

Cristobal needs to look at tons of film.  That is the best way to learn the complete game of  football.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Gentlemen, should we take this show on the road?

HOW ABOUT NO!