Steven A

Rename the War

The Valley Classic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still stuck on why Civil War got cancelled.  I thought it was a just war that freed the slaves.   What did I miss other than that it's not good to memorize any war?   Pretty dumb, but apparently I am getting too old.

Edited by DuckFan93

On 11/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I am still stuck on why Civil War got cancelled.  I thought it was a just war that freed the slaves.   What did I miss other than that it's not good to memorize any war?   Pretty dumb, but apparently I am getting too old.

Agree,

It'll always be the Civil War to me. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I thought it was a just war that freed the slaves.   What did I miss other than that it's not good to memorize any war?

Maybe the idea that half the country fought FOR slavery doesn’t sit well with a lot of the current players, former players, alumni, and fans?

If the old name of the game isn’t appealing to the current players and administration from either team, why wouldn’t we support a new name?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, Duck1984 said:

Maybe the idea that half the country fought FOR slavery doesn’t sit well with a lot of the current players, former players, alumni, and fans?

If the old name of the game isn’t appealing to the current players and administration from either team, why wouldn’t we support a new name?

Nothing can totally please everyone.   I am curious how many current players and administration from either team find the former name unappealing?   Did anyone do any serious fact-gathering before deciding to cancel it?   I could be missing something, but it seemed knee-jerked to me.

BTW, according to 10 Facts: What Everyone Should Know About the Civil War | American Battlefield Trust (battlefields.org),  The North had 22 Million people while the South had 9 Million including 4M slaves.   So it's more like at least 2/3 of the country fought AGAINST slavery to me.

My friends....we went through quite a bit on this last year--let's not start those battles again about the rivalry game name please.

I like "Willamette War."

Mr. FishDuck

I like the Platypus bowl. It's funny and light hearted.

Otherwise, a Rose is a Rose. It's a civil war. 

The other thread in the article is about paying players. I'm tempted to start a GoFundMe to pay each player of the winning team only. 🤔 

Go Ducks

How bout Beavers vs Ducks ? simple, straight forward.

The War of Northern Aggression. After all, Corvallis is north of Eugene.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

OK...now that is funny.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Too political-it has the word aggression

The Game, simple and maybe some kids would take offense for taking what they call play and turning it into something so serious, but I think we call it THE GAME!

When people talk about what game is being played this weekend they can say 'The Game,' and then it's 'Oh The Game.' 'You mean that game, no THE GAME,' it could be kind of fun!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Too political-it has the word aggression

True. How about we switch “aggression” with “antagonism”. That might be a better name for the uw game.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

I think “The Courteous Skirmish” is also kind of catchy.

It's tough 

Most of these "Rivalry Game" names and trophys are based on some kind of tradition or legend (made up or not).

To erase the old and start up a new one based on.... what? 

If you're gonna go new make it worth it with actual stakes:

1) winning school gets some kind of bonus $$$$ or scholarship, charity, whatever. Like a lot. 1$ million? 

2) get the admin, players, and boosters ALL involved in directing the proceeds 

3) then crow about it ALL year

Just changing the name to some stupid PC thing that no one will use is just too millennial for me 

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Southwest Duck said:

Agree,

It'll always be the Civil War to me. 

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

"An Uncivil Discourse"

On 11/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, Haywarduck said:

When people talk about what game is being played this weekend they can say 'The Game,' and then it's 'Oh The Game.' 'You mean that game, no THE GAME,' it could be kind of fun!

You mean "The Who's on First Game"

The history is there regarding the trophy exchange.....Playtypus Bowl makes a lot of sense to me. 

It's quirky......much like the state of Oregon.

For the record I do not support Canzano's idea though. While I do like the idea of players getting paid, I don't like the corporate sponsorship on the rivalry name. That should come from tradition between the universities.

Plus 1 for "Platypus Bowl" with a nice bronze Platypus trophy for the winner

The civilless war

On 11/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

The Valley Classic.

I like this, especially since I think going way, way back the game was referred to as The Classic.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, Haywarduck said:

The Game, simple and maybe some kids would take offense for taking what they call play and turning it into something so serious, but I think we call it THE GAME!

I think Yale and Harvard might take umbrage at the use of their long-time name for their rivalry game. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 3

The War Between the State?

While we’re on the topic of rodent riddance week, might as well be time to trot out an old joke or two that all you oldies probably know, but some new comers may have yet to hear (read?). Should resist the urge, but I can’t help myself.

Question:  What’s the only sign of intelligence in Corvallis?

Answer:   Eugene  42 mi

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

What is the difference between "Culture" and "Agriculture?"

About 40 miles....

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seems like, in this day and age, we should just call it whatever the highest bidder wants it named. It could be called the Nike Game one year, the Reser Bowl the next year. 

The new game name can, once again, become another way Oregon leads in innovation. Not a bad idea seeing how we aren't doing that on the field anymore!

The Quack in the Damn Classic.  Where U can Duck N Cover or maintain a State of Flood Control in the Valley.

• Haha 1