Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishDuck Article

Five Candidates and Two Firecrackers to Replace Cristobal and Get Oregon Back to a ‘Natty

Congratulate Mario Cristobal on his way out the door. He’s getting a shot at his dream job, to coach where he used to play. Miami is home and we get it. Thank you for Mario for spurning LSU and others when they came calling. This is your perfect fit. You’re going to have The Rock come in to fire up ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I personally think Kiffin would be your guy.

High flying offense? Check

Tempo? Check

Cool slogans and connects with today's kids? Check

Learned under Saban? Check

Can do more with less? Check

We all deserve "second chances" and after he learned on the sidelines at Bama, maybe in his aging years he can settle down and bring Oregon to the promise land (or even just the playoffs).

Cheers. 

• Haha 3

Guest KingT

Good piece. Out of the group you reference, Chip makes the most sense, but I don't think he's interested. I believe SC tried to get Peterson and he likely said no to them, so my hunch is he's not interested either.  I think Campbell is a good fit or someone like him, perhaps Joe Brady or Andy Ludwig. This operation can recruit itself well enough that it really needs a robust on field coach with better than average recruiting. We don't need top 5 recruiting to win but we do need top 5 coaching, ask Utah.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, Quackanadian said:

I personally think Kiffin would be your guy.

High flying offense? Check

Tempo? Check

Cool slogans and connects with today's kids? Check

Learned under Saban? Check

Can do more with less? Check

We all deserve "second chances" and after he learned on the sidelines at Bama, maybe in his aging years he can settle down and bring Oregon to the promise land (or even just the playoffs).

Cheers. 

I agree on Kiffin but he is close to signing a big extension at Ole Miss. Honestly, if you have a job in the SEC today and you are not Lincoln Riley headed to a blue blood, do you want to come and coach in the Pac-12? Apparently Kiffin is losing his OC who is following Brent Venables to Oklahoma. Oklahoma is the Ducks Alamo Bowl opponent with the game broadcast at the friendly viewer time of 9:15 ET. 

A big extension for Aranda is on the table and he feels a great deal of loyalty to Baylor. He is taking Baylor to the Sugar Bowl. Why would he want to leave Baylor for Oregon?

Fickell is now coaching in the Power 5, in the B12. The 'new' B12 has 3 teams, 4. Cincinnati, 7 Baylor and 9 OK ST in NY6 Bowl games. Why leave the B12 for an inferior football conference? Why leave Cincinnati that he and his wife and family love for Eugene?

Chip Kelly has a losing record at UCLA and he hates recruiting. 

Coach Pete, IMO, has no interest in getting back into the grind of coaching? He is being paid by both FOX, and by UW as an advisor to the AD. If he wanted back in he would have returned to UW.

With the state of the conference, the fate of a new media deal unknown and the fate of a functionally insolvent network unknown, what's the draw to the Pac-12? Riley was drawn by LA, the money and the chance to reinvigorate blue blood USC. SC is the plum job in the conference. I doubt that Riley would have tripped to Eugene and whether Oregon could come up with $9M+?

Chip bolted. Willie bolted. Looks like Mario is bolting and the way this all went down with Miami, who wants the guy to stay? Goodbye to you and your antiquated offense.

I know Charles does not like the idea, but I would hire Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon and OC Musgrave. All who played for the Ducks. Wilcox never got a fair shake at CAL. Wilcox defeated Mario in 2020 and battled into the 4th Q against Oregon in 2021. It will not take $9M to hire Wilcox and he will be loyal to Oregon.

Alabama OC Bill O'Brien is another guy I'd look at. The problem? He's tied up through the Playoff and assuming Bama beats Cincy, that means he's tied up through 1/10/22.

Flyer candidate? If you want to watch up-tempo. high-flying O, bring in Jeremy Chadwell from Coastal Carolina.

Thanks for the take. The next HC hire CANNOT be a stepping stone job. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

On 12/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, KingT said:

Good piece. Out of the group you reference, Chip makes the most sense, but I don't think he's interested. I believe SC tried to get Peterson and he likely said no to them, so my hunch is he's not interested either.  I think Campbell is a good fit or someone like him, perhaps Joe Brady or Andy Ludwig. This operation can recruit itself well enough that it really needs a robust on field coach with better than average recruiting. We don't need top 5 recruiting to win but we do need top 5 coaching, ask Utah.

Joe Brady was just fired by the Panthers and has never been a HC.

Wasn't Utah senior top heavy this year. I believe that it was. Experience is the equalizer of talent. Put both together and you have a great chance at winning.

Look at the LSU championship from 2019. 15/0 senior ladden. Huge amount of draft picks. Next year Not so good.

Look at our win at tOSU this year. We were still healthy missing only JT and JF and experienced. Fast forward to end of the season and we are missing 10 starters and having to play true Fr and walk ons. 

FB is complicated with many moving parts.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thank you for any of the coaches in the article!

I personally would like to have an Oregon group of coaches - Wilcox, Musgrave, and Sirmon!  With all the resources available at Oregon  these over achievers would soar!

Kelly, Taggart, and Cristobal were all relatively unknown before coming to Oregon.  Oregon made them known nationally.

These 3 Duck alums are experienced coaches who know football.  They know how to coach up their players and be competitive.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

All I can say is you knock on doors and ask. It is the same for Bohn at sc and Cristobal at Oregon, you just never know who is going to say yes. The secret sauce may be saying PK is interested in you coaching at Oregon, but it will take knocking on multiple doors like the Altman search.

The difference with the football coaching hire is if we don't hire soon, Cristobal's departure will impact the Ducks more like sanctions than just a coach leaving.

Without a coach the portal will be more active. Opposing players will reaching out to our elite talent telling them to come to their school, it happens. Our 4* and 5* talent will be gutted, and we will be left with a core of hardcore Ducks, but the talent will be more like the 80's.

Then there is recruiting, what elite recruit isn't on the fence with multiple schools on the edge pulling them in? Without Cristobal this recruiting class will fall apart. We will be a school without a recruiting class, and this will hurt us for years to come.

This is why we hired from within the last time somebody from Florida left us in a similar situation. Time is of the essence, the Alamo Bowl isn't what I am worried about it. It is the toilet bowl we would be headed for after the impact of this slick 2 act.

I think PK understands this and is on it so I won't ponder too much, but Aranda is A1 for me. The main item to remember about Aranda was this was his first year as a head coach, ever. He was a DC and had all the attributes we see now. That is where we may have to look too, who is going to be the next Aranda type coach, and it will happen at Oregon.

All of this listing coaches may not come to fruition, it may just be another Dave Aranda, Chip Kelly type character nobody is sure about, but has the it factor. I hope we find that type of guy, soon, because the guys on our lists having been hit up multiple times and the Pac-12 isn't too attractive right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

2021 was Aranda's 2nd season as the Baylor HC. Won 2 games in 2020. Sugar Bowl and B12 champ in 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kalani Sitake

I know he's probably a long timer at BYU and a long shot but he did knock off UT and 4 other P12 schools. 

Next choice would be Dave Aranda. I think he'd bring back the excitement to Oregon football that MC couldn't.

Last would be the three amigos Wilcox, Sirmon and Musgrave. I'm not a big fan of alumni ex-players being head coaches because if they

falter  then it's emotionally hard to ask them to leave.

• Like 1

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda

Joe Brady

in that order, 

Wilcox would be a disaster, Oregon would be settling for the safe boring pick.  Our talent would jump ship in a hurry. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

Time is of the essence...

THIS!

Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:00 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda

Joe Brady

in that order, 

Wilcox would be a disaster, Oregon would be settling for the safe boring pick.  Our talent would jump ship in a hurry. 

Joe Brady was just fired as OC of the Panthers and has never been a HC?

Thank you Mike Ostrom and Mike Whitmire for this great article.

What a way to finish it with the "Firecrackers",  a much welcomed touch of hilarity!

• Haha 1

I have to say I trust those in charge of negotiating with Cristobal, great move pulling the contract, and now picking the next guy if needed. I think much like on Christmas morning, we are going to be left to ask.......

And then we say how much we love the present, and some will just shrug.

5wtvyl.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 7:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Joe Brady was just fired as OC of the Panthers and has never been a HC?

Joe Brady would be taking a risk and swinging for a home run no doubt.

Wilcox is a swinging bunt, just trying to get on base. 

I spent too much time this morning thinking on this... There is one name I don't want but we may actually need if MC leaves today. 

Lane Kiffin 

I'm not thrilled with the idea because he has proven to be just a gun for hire but he could save the recruiting class and keep it as a top 15 and keep recruiting at a high level. He would also bring a solid offense with him and the roster will stay more intact. 

I'm not a Kiffin fan but that's the only name that comes up that is big enough and can get the job done... And for the right price can actually be brought to Oregon. 

Campbell and Aranda both are good but I don't know if they can be brought to Oregon, let alone fast enough. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, David Marsh said:

I spent too much time this morning thinking on this... There is one name I don't want but we may actually need if MC leaves today. 

Lane Kiffin 

I'm not thrilled with the idea because he has proven to be just a gun for hire but he could save the recruiting class and keep it as a top 15 and keep recruiting at a high level. He would also bring a solid offense with him and the roster will stay more intact. 

I'm not a Kiffin fan but that's the only name that comes up that is big enough and can get the job done... And for the right price can actually be brought to Oregon. 

Campbell and Aranda both are good but I don't know if they can be brought to Oregon, let alone fast enough. 

I will agree with that one, pretty sure Kiffin keeps most of his stuff in a moving van!

• Haha 1

Does DeRuyter leave if not considered for HC?  

Or would he stay for a Wilcox reunion?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will agree with that one, pretty sure Kiffin keeps most of his stuff in a moving van!

But boy do I not like the prospect of turning to Kiffin.... Lol 

Because if it is Kiffin then there is always a great risk of him running. Which only perpetuates the problem. 

Great article. Thanks......

Glad I don't have to make any of these difficult decisions .

All the noise sense the butt kicking we got from the Utes (Congrats Utes) came from Miami and the sports industry talking heads.

It was all quiet from Mullens and Oregon. They did their talking with the largest, longest term offer in Duck history. Telling MC, thank you, job well done, we believe in you.

Then media silence.....

The moment MC didn't sign and said he and his agent were meeting Saturday:

Pretty certain the search was underway. All of the names mentioned have more Pros than Cons......

For the most part, many coaches will want the Oregon HC position. Only a handful are really set at their destination.

Oregon is a top 10 destination.....

Hopefully that and the money will garner a top 10 coach.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, David Marsh said:

Lane Kiffin 

Would he leave Ole Miss for Oregon? maybe I dunno.

Honestly I have a feeling we will go after some OC or DC from the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Would he leave Ole Miss for Oregon? maybe I dunno.

It would set up a pretty interesting sc game, Kiffin would love to stick it to the spoiled children. This would undoubtedly play into his decision, and add some fun to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1