Grandpa Duck

Want to know about Dan Lanning?

Read this article by Chip Towers, DawgNation Staff

:

In case the link doesn't work, Lanning started at Pitt, not as a coach, but in the athlitic office as quality control person.  Then to ASU, not as a coach, but as recruiting coordinator.  This guy has the basics of how to be a head coach before he ever coached college football.  He took those office jobs to get his foot in the door.

Lanning has a wife from before he started at Pitt in 2011 and three kids I figure to be about age 6 to 9.  Those are the ages where kids make school and friend attachments that cause their parents to hesitate to move.

The best reference Lanning can give is that his head coaches moved and took him with them to ASU and to Georgia.

And, if the link didn't work, and you know more than me about how to link, please find it and link it to this thread.  Wikipedia, Dan Lanning, ft. note 2.  Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ga sure has some great defensive players thats for sure.

Lanning's probably the closest thing to Brandon Staley out there.....so there's that.

He sort of reminds me of a defensive Sean Mcvay. I think he could be a great hire for Oregon.

If the UO wants to stay cutting edge, they need to get ahead of the pack. That's what they did with Chip. That's what they should do with Lanning.

The more I look at Lanning, the better he looks for a hire.  My only concern would be, who would he hire as his offensive staff?

How much of the possible Lanning hire is being downplayed because GA's in the final 4? I think he'd be a great hire especially with a big time

OC. He may not hit a home run right out of the gate but he seems eager to learn and improve vs our last HC.

Thanks for the link Grandpa Duck!  If we were to try a DC with no HC experience as a HC,  Lanning sounds like the right guy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren’t Bellotti and Kelly both OCs with no HC experience when they were selected as HC?

As the T’s are being crossed and I’s dotted for onboarding coach Lanning, perhaps one issue had been overlooked to this point.  That being the State of of OR and UO’s vaxx mandate.   Georgia, including University of, has no such mandate and per Kirby Smart, 90% of players and staff are vaccinated.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd get vaxed for $5M a year. 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, PittDuck said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren’t Bellotti and Kelly both OCs with no HC experience when they were selected as HC?

You are correct about Chip, and that was true of Rich Brooks as well.  Coach Bellotti was a HC at Chico State before coming to Oregon to be OC.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Grandpa, great and illuminating post.

In honor of my Dad who served as a gunnery officer on a Tin Can in the South Pacific in WWII - Go Navy! Beat Army!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Whether this hire happens or does not happen, this is good news.

RM, PK and others are looking for the right fit, the right hire 

Lanning has a positive upside. This interview is a step up from the proven commodities of Chip and Justin. Not because of what Lanning has done, yet. But what Chip and Justin have done. ( I am not judging Chip on the 46-7 record. IHe had every opportunity to get it done at UCLA. He didn't, proof is in the pudding.

Let's keep climbing the ladder, reaching higher and higher. Do not settle for proven, above average.

Hire for vision, work ethic and  someone who can build a team. A team of coaches and players who want the promise land at Oregon. 

Not someone who lays their head on their pillow at night dreaming of the promise land somewhere else.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In honor of my Dad who served as a gunnery officer on a Tin Can in the South Pacific in WWII - Go Navy! Beat Army!

My dad was Tin Can Navy during Vietnam. USS Marshall. I moved him in with me last April due to late stage vascular dementia.  He's pretty gonzo but still finds joy in football and basketball.  Going to put the game on for him to enjoy. Go Navy!

• Thumbs Up 1

As a former US Army Artillary guidance unit maintenance technician on Nike Hercules anti-aircraft missiles, 1958-60, Go Army!

Go Navy! Beat Army!

USS Nimitz forever...Go NAVY!

Thank you for your service guys!  Enjoy the game.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

In honor of my father who was riding that tin can with his gunnery crew and dozer.....

Go Army

My uncle was swabbing the brig when the Arizona went down... he landed in the harbor with  minor bruising, and spent the rest of the day helping  pull others out of the water...  GO NAVY!

As a retired Viet Nam vet and retired Air Force I say.....Go whomever.  

I actually enjoy watching our academies, so I root for all unless they are playing the Air Force of course.