Warrenton

Lousy Hire

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

Plenty of coaches make the transition just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

It's strange at this level to hand the reigns over to an unknown. I know it works at times but it's extremely risky.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

This is 75/25 Recruiting to Coaching experience. I like the hire given the possibilities. I'm excited about the next chapter in Oregon football.

Risky yes 

surely high risk high reward hire for sure

Lousy… no way !!!

this hire is a solid A- to me 

What would have you liked to see?  The second go around with an older fatter chipper?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The fact that he is so young and went up through the coaching rankings so quickly tells me this guy is good. Kirby Smart wanted him as his right hand man so that is good enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, Southwest Duck said:

Risky yes 

surely high risk high reward hire for sure

Lousy… no way !!!

this hire is a solid A- to me 

What would have you liked to see?  The second go around with an older fatter chipper?

Luke Fickell

On 12/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, duck023 said:

The fact that he is so young and went up through the coaching rankings so quickly tells me this guy is good. Kirby Smart wanted him as his right hand man so that is good enough for me.

He's never been in charge of anything. Plenty of assistants kill it at that level but are a joke when they're in charge of a large operation.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Warrenton said:

Luke Fickell

Yep that would have been a good hire too.

problem with that is you couldn’t hire him until almost mid January and that would devastate our 2022 recruiting class.

also there is no guarantee he’d even want to come here, Midwest guys like to stay home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Well Cristobal had HC experience and he was a poor in game coach.

• Thumbs Up 3

Risky, strange, unknown — sounds like the basic ingredients that have always gone into Oregon HC hires/promotions.  We’ve never looked back or played it safe. Just doesn’t work in the PNW. Innovation is not just our way, it’s the only way.

• Thumbs Up 4

Regardless.  Time to put our full weight into this hire.  He needs our full support.  We need a legacy here and also a passing game.   Lets find out who the OC will now be.  Let’s go Dan! 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Warrenton said:

Luke Fickell

I don't think the Ducks had a chance at getting Fickell, and I'm less nervous about where Lanning will have the Ducks in the next couple of years than I would be had Oregon hired an experienced coach such as Brian Harsin or Justin Wilcox. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, Warrenton said:

He's never been in charge of anything. Plenty of assistants kill it at that level but are a joke when they're in charge of a large operation.

Defensive coordinators are pretty important and Georgia had one of the best defenses in the country. Being the defensive coordinator at Georgia is huge. It's not like he is the defensive coordinator to a mountain west team or something.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not seeing the risk. Ok, I see risk. In every single hire. I'm feeling like it's going to be a home run. And with that I'm off to read what Charles has posted about the recruits Lanning has been responsible for. I'm likely to be feeling even better afterward.

• Like 1

Since we are just throwing out names we would have liked to see hired instead, I've got a few:

Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Kryzewski, Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney, Phil Jackson, Luke Fickel, Lincoln Riley....this hire sucks though because we didn't even try to land any of them.  

The fact I had to come up with some obviously fake candidates tell you something.  There aren't many options out there that are a clear step up that aren't already at top tier programs.  So do you hire an Oregon alum that clearly can't coach at an elite level, hire a coordinator that has huge upside, or hire a retread.  I like the route Oregon is taking here.

• Thumbs Up 9

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

And plenty don't.  Jimmy Lake, Randy Shannon, Mark Helfrich...

The great head coaches of this era -- Saban, Meyer, etc. -- went to small schools to learn to become good HCs before winning natties for big programs.

Meyer coached at Ball St. and Saban at Toldeo for example. Going from assistant straight to a big-time program -- not only running it but rebuilding it from the ground up -- is a very tall order. The odds are against this guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, NotThatFan said:

What's more, Riley was an assistant at Oklahoma when the previous HC retired. Riley took over a program that was in very good shape and already had almost everything in place. Riley didn't have to rebuild or reshape at all.

Edited by Warrenton
  • Thanks 1

If there’s nothing else (and there’s a hell of a lot more) about this hire, what I love is that it has the rest of the PAC-12 reaching once again for the antacids wondering if Oregon is again a few steps ahead of them. Keepum guessing!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, Warrenton said:

This ain't ideal....

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

The odds have been against every coach we have hired, well maybe not Mr. Casanova, but welcome to the club Mr. Lanning. 

As far as ideal, we don't do ideal, we make ideal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

Chip Kelly would disagree.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, NotThatFan said:

You are absolutely correct. But that's not the point. The point it you CAN be successful without having head coaching experience, it doesn't make for an automatic failure. 

And flip it around, plenty of coaches with Head Coaching experience get a new job and stink. Just look at Chip. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, Warrenton said:

Chip Kelly would disagree.

Really? That’s weird. His first HC job was at Oregon.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1