Annie

Ducks Former Oregon Ducks who Sent Letter

...calling for coaches with program ties to be interviewed express support for Dan Lanning

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for posting this Annie, it certainly helps us understand the motives of the players to write the letter, and that it was solely intended to be read only by AD Rob Mullens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, 30Duck said:

....and that it was solely intended to be read only by AD Rob Mullens. 

I'm hoping Mullens will discover and have a word (or a few strong words) with the person who leaked the letter to Canzano.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The piece is clearly a swipe at Canzano by Crepea. The click-bait columnist getting his comeuppance from an actual reporter who is more concerned with context and accuracy than eyeballs.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What I don't understand is why u would interview for a job and then not take it when it's offered. That makes no sense to me.

Something else is going on here and I have no idea what it is.

@Duck 1972 perhaps he didn't like the terms they offered?  Or never wanted the job and was just interviewing hoping to get Cal to boost his contract?

On 12/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Something else is going on here and I have no idea what it is.

Why would something else be going on? You would interview for the job to get a feel for the situation and the offer; it's your alma mater and big money is in the room. Who wouldn't interview if remotely interested?

Then, you decide it's not for you, for whatever reasons, personal and/or professional.

People turn down job offers all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think publishing this letter is pretty sleasy on Canzano's part, as well as who leaked it.  It obviously does nothing to help promote our new coach, in fact, it tries to put a damper on it.  I'm very glad it has worked out with Lanning instead of a mediocre Wilcox, who apparently didn't have the chops to face a fanbase with the expectations of Oregon.  He's pretty safe where he is.

Now if we can just get a coordinator or two in place, and get to work on recruits, things will work out fine.  I'm excited to see what the future of Oregon football looks like.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know people want loyalty.

There are so many reasons why that horse had left the stable forever.  

One thing I can say about the Snake and Cristobal is the ENTIRE COUNTRY now know coaches in SEC country will bite at the opportunity to lead the Oregon program.  

Those two coaches set up a recruiting legacy that opened minds up.  Now all the talent- players and coaches- know Oregon will compete for titles. 

The richest talent in the industry recognize Oregon is not going away.  Alums will come along at some point and recognize we have access to the best and the brightest from now on.  

Opportunists will be replaced with equal to or Superior talent. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

If Can’tzano had any interest in authentic journalism rather than the hack sensationalism he excels at, he’d have checked first with the letter’s authors just to make sure that the timing of his making the letter public didn’t conflict with the original intent of the writers. In journalism, that’s known as giving equal voice, something this sewer spewer doesn’t care to pursue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mike West said:

There are so many reasons why that horse had left the stable forever.  

We OBD’ers need to keep in mind — as best we can — that the price of success can, and often will,  go well beyond some of our comfort zones — including ex-players.  There is wisdom to the saying, ‘be careful of what you wish for; it may come true’.  

We’ve let the horse loose in pursuit of that dream. But, just like pushing your kid down the driveway that first time, you’ve also started to relinquish control. Enjoy the ride!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:34 AM, Annie said:

...calling for coaches with program ties to be interviewed express support for Dan Lanning

Annie...THANK YOU for posting this, and I do encourage everyone to search for and post articles here for the benefit of the community.  THANKS AGAIN!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

One thing I can say about the Snake and Cristobal is the ENTIRE COUNTRY now know coaches in SEC country will bite at the opportunity to lead the Oregon program.  

Those two coaches set up a recruiting legacy that opened minds up. 

Fantastic observation that had earthquake impact upon Oregon. Those two guys from the SE proved you can recruit to Oregon, and may have been a big factor in attracting Lanning.

Our forum is better when Mike West is posting often!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

“Justin is the guy coaching at Cal. We’re going to kick his a-- the next time we play him and he didn’t want the job. So who cares?”

nuff said about Wilcox turning us down...

• Thumbs Up 1

The letter was written close to the very beginning of the search for the new coach. It expressed concerns with the last two head coaching hires of people who had no connection with Oregon's football history from people who were intimately involved with that history and who are still passionate supporters of their team. I am also a passionate supporter of my Ducks and I completely understand and sympathize with the sentiments expressed in the letter. I'm sure most of you do too.

John Canzano has a job to do and, love him or hate him, he does his job very well. He is a columnist for the Oregonian and a big part of what he does is to shine a prickly light into the dark corners and controversies of sports in Oregon. He is well connected and he digs deep to get his stories. The more he is able to raise controversy, the better he is doing the job he was hired to do.

The only bad part about the letter being released, aside from the fact that its authors had no intention of it going public, was the timing of the article which made it seem like an attack on Dan Lanning's hire. The updated comments and posts of the author/authors make it clear that they are all in support of "Lanning Strip's" hire. Anyone who was surprised by the content of the original letter hasn't been paying attention to what people like Joey Harrington and other former player media talking heads have been saying since Helfrich was fired. Most of us can relate to the thoughts and ideas they were expressing.

That all said, I don't understand the need some feel to demean or disparage Justin Wilcox. He's a wonderful person and an excellent coach, and I'm honored to count him among my friends. He was interviewed for the Oregon job, looked at it in comparison to what he is doing and building at Cal and, allegedly, decided to pass. If you feel the petty need to criticize him for that, you didn't want him anyway, so what's your problem?  Although he is from here and he loves Oregon, he realized that the Oregon HC job wasn't a good fit for him. He should be commended for making a wise decision. 

Just in case you haven't noticed, it's never been an easy task for Oregon to "kick Cal's ass" since Wilcox has been head coach there, and I don't expect that's going to change any time soon.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Guest DUCKBILL

Why would Wilcox turn down the Oregon job? My I guess? The HC job seat is already warm. It seems a significant portion of the Oregon fan base is obsessed with winning a Natty. Nothing else will satisfy them.

What are the odds Oregon can win a Natty? Very low in my opinion. Can we out recruit and/or out coach Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU for example? Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely?

No. Why would Wilcox want to leave a job where the fans do not have this expectation. He has done reasonably well considering his resources. Why go where the stress factor will be out of this world? I for one think he made the right decision. (I was in favor of him coming to Oregon. My thinking was best expressed by the players, alums letter to Mullens).

He is coaching at one of the finest Universities in the world. He is living in one of the intellectual centers of the US. The Bay Area is a cultural treasure. 

the ENTIRE COUNTRY now know coaches in SEC country will bite at the opportunity to lead the Oregon program

👀

On 12/13/2021 at 11:20 AM, latracey said:

The only bad part about the letter being released, aside from the fact that its authors had no intention of it going public, was the timing of the article which made it seem like an attack on Dan Lanning's hire.

I won't say that's the only bad part. But I agree completely that it was the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are millions of people who apply for a job, interview for a job and then don't accept the job.  I know I have done it.  There are plenty of reasons for applying and then turning down a job.  That isn't atypical.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/13/2021 at 11:20 AM, latracey said:

The letter was written close to the very beginning of the search for the new coach. It expressed concerns with the last two head coaching hires of people who had no connection with Oregon's football history from people who were intimately involved with that history and who are still passionate supporters of their team. I am also a passionate supporter of my Ducks and I completely understand and sympathize with the sentiments expressed in the letter. I'm sure most of you do too.

John Canzano has a job to do and, love him or hate him, he does his job very well. He is a columnist for the Oregonian and a big part of what he does is to shine a prickly light into the dark corners and controversies of sports in Oregon. He is well connected and he digs deep to get his stories. The more he is able to raise controversy, the better he is doing the job he was hired to do.

The only bad part about the letter being released, aside from the fact that its authors had no intention of it going public, was the timing of the article which made it seem like an attack on Dan Lanning's hire. The updated comments and posts of the author/authors make it clear that they are all in support of "Lanning Strip's" hire. Anyone who was surprised by the content of the original letter hasn't been paying attention to what people like Joey Harrington and other former player media talking heads have been saying since Helfrich was fired. Most of us can relate to the thoughts and ideas they were expressing.

That all said, I don't understand the need some feel to demean or disparage Justin Wilcox. He's a wonderful person and an excellent coach, and I'm honored to count him among my friends. He was interviewed for the Oregon job, looked at it in comparison to what he is doing and building at Cal and, allegedly, decided to pass. If you feel the petty need to criticize him for that, you didn't want him anyway, so what's your problem?  Although he is from here and he loves Oregon, he realized that the Oregon HC job wasn't a good fit for him. He should be commended for making a wise decision. 

Just in case you haven't noticed, it's never been an easy task for Oregon to "kick Cal's ass" since Wilcox has been head coach there, and I don't expect that's going to change any time soon.

Perfectly stated. 

• Like 1

The former Duck players heart is in the right place. I respect that they reached out to Mullens. They were not undermining anyone. They care more than a lot of our fans about Duck football.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would qualify Canzano does his job, and does it well at times. I think the whole Mario leaving, Lanning hiring he did very poorly, from start to finish.

As far as Wilcox, he is a bigger part of Oregon's football history than most any of the fans on this site. We don't know what happened in the interviewing process, and that doesn't change his status as a Duck Football Alumni. He deserves our respect and admiration for what he has done for the University. He isn't obligated to do anything more.

The alumni who wrote the letter obviously care greatly for the program. It was probably the worst part of the journalistic job Canzano did publishing the letter like he did. These guys bleed green and yellow. In the end the letter showed how much the Duck Nation cares about the program. Lanning is only seeing the tip of the iceberg of the care and support he will receive. 

Time to put this story to bed and move forward!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1