Charles Fischer

Canzano: Lanning Needs to Solve Oregon's "Identity Crisis"

I think John makes some very good points, and for me--adds to the anticipation and fun of Spring Football in just two and a half months!

Canzano: Dan Lanning Era Officially Starts in Wake of Oregon Ducks’ Alamo Bowl Loss by John Canzano of OregonLive

Eric Gray, Noah Sewell

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes, some interesting points. My concern is the "unrealistic expectations" comment.

How long does Lanning get before it gets too critical around here?

If DL continues to get good recruiting classes, won't we expect to see results immediately on the field?

On another note, I watched the end of the Clemson game. Reportedly, all his players healthy played in the game. No opt outs for NFL. That is amazing. Is that a result of good coaching, great identity, or why? Whatever the reason, wish we had it here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It’s a good piece of writing. He nailed it on the QB development. One thing that he didn’t really get into was the amount of patience that will be needed from this fan base. Oregon will not be very good next year. There will not be a 10 win season. 

I don’t think it will be because Lanning is a bad coach. I just think it will take more time to get the current players to buy into his system, recruit new players who fit his system and get right mix of assistant coaches to carry out his vision. These things take time and I don’t think there is enough talent to overcome the learning curve. 

The portal will only help so much. I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but Bo Nix was a mildly average QB and Dillingham’s offense at FSU was mildly average this last season. Mix those two together and you get mildly average. I think the current WR corps will probably bump them up a few notches, but I don’t think they’ll set the Pac 12 on fire.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cristobal's weekly mantra's sounded like quotes from a Navy Seal's handbook

Exactly, He read them, but didn't understand them. Empty rhetoric, that apparently worked in recruit's living rooms, but not to a locker room of players. We all saw Lanning's Presser, and who knows for sure. But he seemed authentic, the words sounded genuine coming from his heart.

Lanning has been working overtime for Oregon, while he's finishing up at Georgia, contacting recruits to finish up this class, attacking the portal, assembling a coaching staff. I think he has a definite identity in mind for his Oregon Ducks team.

I don't think there is a better opponent possible for the Ducks than what they have in Georgia to start the Lanning era. He's knowledgeable about the Bulldogs, and his Ducks will be fired up. I can't wait.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Thank you John Canzano for this obscure insight into the obvious. John, we're you not the noted expert who assured us that Mario would lead the Ducks to the Playoff?

This is far too little and too late from Canzano. After year one of Mario, many of us knew that the man's zenith as a coach was a Rose Bowl appearance when the RB was a semi-final playoff site. 

Mario had a losing record when he was hired and leaves Eugene at 62-60. He is not 'going to grow' as a HC. His record is what he is. Hopefully with Lanning, Mullens is upping his game. He was ready to pay Mario close to $8M a year to continue to recruit like a champ and coach like a chump.

Navy Seal reference is ironic because for us fans watching Mario's coaching, there was no easy day.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, DanLduck said:

Yes, some interesting points. My concern is the "unrealistic expectations" comment.

How long does Lanning get before it gets too critical around here?

If DL continues to get good recruiting classes, won't we expect to see results immediately on the field?

On another note, I watched the end of the Clemson game. Reportedly, all his players healthy played in the game. No opt outs for NFL. That is amazing. Is that a result of good coaching, great identity, or why? Whatever the reason, wish we had it here.

Clemson did have a playoff worthy D this season. I expect a rebound in 2022. There is a real culture of family at Clemson and not the BS that passes for same at other schools including the so-called culture of Oregon under Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mario tried to change the identity of Duck football. I think he wanted the offensive line to be the catalyst for the team’s success. He focused on running the ball with the idea that our offensive line would wear out the opponents defense by the end of the game.

Mario’s offense scored less points. Therefore, more games came down to the last possession.

The Ducks once had a sports car offense in the garage. The offensive quickly became more of a heavy duty pickup truck. Both have their place, but the sports car is much more fun to watch. 

Lanning will need to create an identity for both the offense and defense. I think he has a good idea about the defense. Now we need to see his vision for the offense. 

Edited by Drake

Canzano is still flogging the former-player letter that he leaked, without context or elaboration. Get over it, John.

• Thumbs Up 5

Got a chance to talk team culture with a player last summer on a golf course.

He described it as a split between a small insiders club, a core gang, and a lot of unattached outsiders.  

He felt the coaches attended to the insiders, supported the gang, and mostly ignored the detached.  There was not a feeling of family for all in his mind.

I hope Lanning builds the team into a family that wants to play for each other rather than for themselves.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

Heard the same type of thing from parents of a starter on this team. Nothing earth shattering just that there were some issues with the HC showing favoritism to certain players but guess that is a common complaint on any team. Looking forward to seeing some change next season under new coaches. I liked MC for his recruiting prowess but did get tired of the RoboCoach speak at every press conference and the boring offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Canzano is a faint echo from the days of journalists know as “Sports Writer.” I don’t agree with him on many subjects, but he brings a literacy to sports opinion writing which Fox and ESPN talking heads lack.

John’s column on “Identity” regarding Oregon football struck a chord. Since Kelly’s departure I’ve been trying to  discern who OBD are or trying to be.

Maybe the former players were pondering this very conundrum; how to hold on to the legacy of the past while embracing the future?

Mark H. was the beginning of the end to an in house hiring succession which was tremendously successful up to that point.

The House of Florida usurpers have come and gone without ever establishing any identity beyond recruiting prowess (I love using that word for some reason).

It is to be hoped, as Canzano mentions, Lanning will embrace Oregon’s past and build on that foundation as he and is staff move forward.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, LADuck said:

the HC showing favoritism

dang—that is literally the WORST thing a coach can do. i was soooooooo wrong about MC. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2021 at 9:43 PM, Drake said:

Mario tried to change the identity of Duck football. I think he wanted the offensive line to be the catalyst for the team’s success. He focused on running the ball with the idea that our offensive line would wear out the opponents defense by the end of the game.

Mario’s offense scored less points. Therefore, more games came down to the last possession.

The Ducks once had a sports car offense in the garage. The offensive quickly became more of a heavy duty pickup truck. Both have their place, but the sports car is much more fun to watch. 

Lanning will need to create an identity for both the offense and defense. I think he has a good idea about the defense. Now we need to see his vision for the offense. 

More like a Tonka truck that mimics big tough trucks.

I don't understand the part about culture. If a coach is perceived as not creating a family atmosphere with honesty, caring and integrity you will not have cohesion.

If you don't walk the talk, lead by example have a vision but live in reality you will not have cohesion.  

If you don't understand how to motivate you will not have cohesion.

If you can't do all these things that creates cohesion you will not have a team.

Without being a team it's tough to win when the going gets tough no matter how much talent you are supposed to have.

Look at USC. Nuf said.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:54 AM, Duck1984 said:

Got a chance to talk team culture with a player last summer on a golf course.

He described it as a split between a small insiders club, a core gang, and a lot of unattached outsiders.  

He felt the coaches attended to the insiders, supported the gang, and mostly ignored the detached.  There was not a feeling of family for all in his mind.

I hope Lanning builds the team into a family that wants to play for each other rather than for themselves.

Thank you for posting this Duck1984.  This explains a lot of the I can feel but can't put my finger on what the issue is sense I had throughout this past season.  This leadership style/culture coupled with the distraction of a potential new job helps explain, at least for me, the erratic product we saw on the field this year.  For instance, one has to wonder if Morehead was an unattached outsider?  All it would take would be for anyone associated with the team to think or feel they were unattached and dysfunction of some sort would likely ensue.  

On 12/30/2021 at 2:11 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It’s a good piece of writing. He nailed it on the QB development. One thing that he didn’t really get into was the amount of patience that will be needed from this fan base. Oregon will not be very good next year. There will not be a 10 win season. 

I don’t think it will be because Lanning is a bad coach. I just think it will take more time to get the current players to buy into his system, recruit new players who fit his system and get right mix of assistant coaches to carry out his vision. These things take time and I don’t think there is enough talent to overcome the learning curve. 

The portal will only help so much. I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but Bo Nix was a mildly average QB and Dillingham’s offense at FSU was mildly average this last season. Mix those two together and you get mildly average. I think the current WR corps will probably bump them up a few notches, but I don’t think they’ll set the Pac 12 on fire.

One thing I think we need to put into consideration is that the Ducks play in the PAC 12. I think a 10 + win season would be easily attainable next year. If it were a different conference, it would be less attainable. I’m already banking on Oregon’s offense being better next year!

• Thumbs Up 1

Canzano didn't say anything that wasn't already obvious.

If you don't have a QB that can win games for you, and if your defense isn't good enough to stop a good QB enough times to do some damage yourself, you won't win championships.

It does take an identity, but if you can't do those two things, you'll just have an identity.  No titles.  

I believe it's more important to get the most out of your players.  To motivate them to give their all.  The rest will take care of itself if they're good enough.  

When we see a team that doesn't hurt itself, plays the best they can giving all they have, we'll be happy with the results.  Players and coaches.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be their best.  

Sounds cliche.  It's pretty simple, and it is the most difficult thing any organization can achieve.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, Mike West said:

Canzano didn't say anything that wasn't already obvious.

If you don't have a QB that can win games for you, and if your defense isn't good enough to stop a good QB enough times to do some damage yourself, you won't win championships.

It does take an identity, but if you can't do those two things, you'll just have an identity.  No titles.  

I believe it's more important to get the most out of your players.  To motivate them to give their all.  The rest will take care of itself if they're good enough.  

When we see a team that doesn't hurt itself, plays the best they can giving all they have, we'll be happy with the results.  Players and coaches.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be their best.  

Sounds cliche.  It's pretty simple, and it is the most difficult thing any organization can achieve.  

Mostly agree Mike.

A missing element in the QB + Defense  = Win equation is the Coach.

The Coach shapes the identity, schemes the team to be greater than the sum of the individuals, and leads the players to care more for each other than themselves.

The 2010 Ducks team may have been the best in history.  Darron Thomas was not an elite QB.  The D was not Gang Green level.  But it was clear that players played for each other.

The 2021 Ducks didn’t have lineman that sprinted downfield to make extra blocks, recover fumbles, or be the first to get to the running back or receiver to pick them up.

I watched Travis Dye bust runs past lineman and get laid out.  Lineman near him turned their backs and walked to the line.  Either Travis is the worst teammate ever, or the other players don’t care about anything they won’t be graded on.

Caring about being a member of the Duck family is what the Alumni players were talking about in their letter prior to Lanning’s hire.  I hope he understands how much harder the team will be to beat if they care more about the team than themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's hard to do with today's kids. There's so many things, you need to be a psychologist.