30Duck

Will the Transfer Portal Make or Break the Huskies?

Who are these Huskies I keep hearing about?

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, jrw said:

Who are these Huskies I keep hearing about?

image.jpeg.88dd6c98ef2e277c7f900dbd5e088bc2.jpeg

From my perspective, when Duck fans continually focus on the Fuskies with their hatred, it only reinforces the notion that Duck fans view themselves as the "little brothers." To me, it's much like the seething hatred I get from so many Beaver fans.  I prefer to take the tack of, "Huskies? Which ones?"

• Haha 2

As with any completely new coaching regime at a football program, it's going to take 3-4 years before anyone can make a judgement as to how well they do. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, 30Duck said:

Man I just don't care about the Mutt's and for some reason everybody wants to know what's going on with them. I hate the Husky's seriously wish it would just go away. Click bait!

I vote “break.”

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't break what is already broken! You have to love the positive spin, maybe they can hope for a fix, but they are already broken.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:52 AM, WiseKwacker said:

From my perspective, when Duck fans continually focus on the Fuskies with their hatred, it only reinforces the notion that Duck fans view themselves as the "little brothers." To me, it's much like the seething hatred I get from so many Beaver fans.  I prefer to take the tack of, "Huskies? Which ones?"

On 1/6/2022 at 11:12 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Man I just don't care about the Mutt's and for some reason everybody wants to know what's going on with them. I hate the Husky's seriously wish it would just go away. Click bait!

WiseKwacker and MaiTaiDuck....I love you both as people who post things that I enjoy, but I am going to have to politely disagree with both of you on this one.

First...we do not want to write things that discourage people from posting in the future on any topic.  (Please keep that in mind)

Next...I think (very strongly) that what happens with Washington as a hated rival is very relevant to us, and I personally like the occasional posts about them.  It is not like we have five posts a day obsessing over them, but something a time or two a week helps us stay up with the North Division, and if anyone can recover--they can much faster than Stanford, for example.

Finally...when Washington is strong, we respect them, but the mood in discussing them is grim.  It is a negative reality of life we have to accept and deal with as we did back in the late-80s and early 90s.

But now?  Get the popcorn and soak it all in, as this is fun to watch them squirm in pain, and gnash their teeth at our success.  For me--the Huskies are a great source of entertainment and I want to enjoy it while I can!  It is looking down at them, pointing and hooting that is rare fun for us Duck fans in the history of this long rivalry.  

So thanks to all for posting occasional stuff about Washington, (since I do too) and if you don't like the post, then don't read it!  (How can you not love what is going on up there?)

This is all they have left at Receiver....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This Husky Honk gets it

Dude, days of Don James is about as relevant as Blockbuster is to movie streaming.

Who the heck cares about how things used to be and how they worked out back in the 80's?

And then it ends,

Short of some miracles, forget 1991, we'll be lucky to get back to 2019 in the next 5 years.

I'm rooting for a return to 2008

My glory days 

I also like the track of been there done that.

But what's wrong with a lot of payback for the 70's and 80's a

And a little of the 90's.

I guess 5 more years and then we're pretty equal.

And then we can dish it out for another 20 to 30 years so they really know what it feels like 👍.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for thumbs up Charles I thought you would like that post.

It’s gotten so bad so fast in fuskie land that I’m now actually rooting for them to improve simply for the sake of PAC 12 respectability.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’m a proud Oregon native, and along with 5 others in my family, I’m an equally proud Oregon alum.  But I’ve been living in the Seattle area —in the Belly of the Beast—for thirty plus years.  Although it’s a beautiful part of the country, I can attest that many of the Husky fans are the most arrogant, self entitled people I’ve ever met.

During the first one third of our 12 game winning streak starting in 2004, the atttitude of many of these fans was that the only way we beat them was through cheating, either on the field or in recruiting.  The next one-third of that streak, their attitude was that things would soon change and go back to the “natural order.”  (What arrogance!). And the last one third was highlighted by abject demoralization.  Personally, that was the best phase.

I agree that fixation on the Huskies should not be all encompassing. But a healthy hatred of your primary rival is part of what makes the game so fun.  It hurts when we lose—I was in Autzen when they finally beat us—but it inspires the desire to work harder for the next game.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I tend to find this sort of thing entertaining out of a case study of a program. At least for me it is so much fun to observe football as a sort of rise and fall of "empires". This probably comes out of my day job which is a social studies teacher ... but still looking at these sort of situations is fun in the short term and the long term. 

Also the Huskies totally hate us just as much as we hate them. The dynamic is a bit different than the Oregon State hate of Oregon where we don't feel anywhere near the same hatred towards them as they do for us. The feeling is mutual between Oregon and Washington and until the day comes that Oregon leads the series, I don't see that changing. 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Ah....we already have a big thread about that news?

Mr. FishDuck

Well I loathe the huskies to the point that new 4 letters words will need to be added to the English language dictionary to explain it.

My Mom's family settled in Spokane in the early 1900's. So I grew up in Spokane Washington. Big Cougar fan. Started attending games in Pullman in 60's. First season tickets in 1975. Miserable cold place to watch a game. When the wind blows on the Palouse  it gives a new meaning to cold.

But when those Arrogant, butt sniffing Husky fans came to Pullman for the Apple Cup they made your blood boil. Never felt the cold....... Jack Daniel's, hot Totties etc. Helped too. The sheer disgust and name calling they showed toward Cougar fans was disappointing. My ex wife was called disrespectful names for wearing the Cougar colors. Classless......

When the Apple Cup was played west of the cascades in the out door potty stadium, my ex wife and I always attended. The Cougars were granted about 5,000 seats in the lowest southeast section of the toilet. In late November the sun never touched that section. So the night before the game the miserable excuse for fans or the grounds keeper watered downed those concrete seats.  The whole section was a sheet of ice. The stairs, the seats and the floor, pure ice.

Elderly people were slipping and falling. We couldn't sit down even with blankets. Our boots and feet were frozen. It was a typical classless act by the unpotty trained. 

Fortunately, in 1984 I moved to Oregon and escaped the Couged it tag and found the slow rising Ducks. My Father's family settled here in the late 1800's. It's a special place with special people. It was nice to come back home. To friendly people who cared about their community. 

But the smile and joy of life is wiped from my very being at the mention of butt Husky football fans. Not the players. So anytime any news of Husky football demise comes across this forum, I feel a little joy in my creation. Unlike the Husky fans when a Duck player transfers or moves on they are usually wished well. At least on this forum. 

I will never apologize or shy away from calling out Husky fans who demean or purposely hurt someone. Especially those who don't know how to use a toilet, only drink from it.......

Okay, I will call myself out for that one.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

They are certainly losing some good players, can they now turn around and bring some good ones in. I think the portal is going to be a fickle resource for many programs and players. 

I enjoy the fact that following the the departure of OREGON's epic recruiting  😎 staff, Coach Lanning has not only created  what, at least on paper, appears to be a significant upgrade, but has already managed to find a way to use U Duh as a farm team, thus adding to OREGON's recruiting footprint... EPIC!

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta give credit where credit is due

On 1/6/2022 at 11:52 AM, Charles Fischer said:

WiseKwacker and MaiTaiDuck....I love you both as people who post things that I enjoy, but I am going to have to politely disagree with both of you on this one.

First...we do not want to write things that discourage people from posting in the future on any topic.  (Please keep that in mind)

Next...I think (very strongly) that what happens with Washington as a hated rival is very relevant to us, and I personally like the occasional posts about them.  It is not like we have five posts a day obsessing over them, but something a time or two a week helps us stay up with the North Division, and if anyone can recover--they can much faster than Stanford, for example.

Finally...when Washington is strong, we respect them, but the mood in discussing them is grim.  It is a negative reality of life we have to accept and deal with as we did back in the late-80s and early 90s.

But now?  Get the popcorn and soak it all in, as this is fun to watch them squirm in pain, and gnash their teeth at our success.  For me--the Huskies are a great source of entertainment and I want to enjoy it while I can!  It is looking down at them, pointing and hooting that is rare fun for us Duck fans in the history of this long rivalry.  

So thanks to all for posting occasional stuff about Washington, (since I do too) and if you don't like the post, then don't read it!  (How can you not love what is going on up there?)

This is all they have left at Receiver....

giphy.gif

Dagnabbitt That gif made me spit coffee out my nose.

• Haha 1

I am guessing that the bottomless pit of Husky hatred that triggers the bile ducts of this Duck fan may be a generational thing.  Happy's post about the Apple Cup mirrors Duck fan experience with the Buttsniffer fans in the same era.  Those 20th Century leghumper fans were the epitome of graceless cads.  There will never be enough Schadenfreude at the doog downfall for me.

But if I were a guy who was an undergrad in this Century I might be wondering what the fuss is about.  After all we have owned their hidebound haunches since Wheaton scored.

I suggest a 100-level first-year course in Duck football history that is mandatory for all incoming students.  It could include some video clips from some oldtimers recounting the dark days of Husky humiliation: the urine bags, the filling of Autzen stadium, the RV's lining I5 adorned with purple and gold bunting.  The night on the town in Eugene after another beatdown with chanting and fight songs echoing off the buttes.....

I couldn't teach it though without some serious PTSD therapy. The father of my Lady Friend in those days was a Husky alum with one of those RV's......and I had to wait on their table at OES after the game.  

giphy.gif

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2022 at 10:52 AM, WiseKwacker said:

WK, that’s the beauty of perspective, everybody’s got one.  From my perspective, those who wear hooker gold and prostitute purple tend to be the most arrogant and clueless fans to ever enter a stadium!  Even my UW alum co-workers agree that Husky fans are an entitled bunch of arrogant @$$#*\€$.

I think there is way more hatred oozing south than north.  As far as little brother, no.  I think of them more as dastardly dawgs.  Dawgs that should be kept out of the house.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:08 AM, McDuck said:

Gotta give credit where credit is due

And I agree, that Mario did a ton of good things for us.  He and Taggart shattered the recruiting glass ceiling at Oregon and raised the standards and expectations that come with recruiting.  I salute them both...

Mr. FishDuck

Okay, having read all the comments, replies and comebacks on my post above, I've gotta comment. 

Nobody wants to beat the Huskies more than I do. Hey, my greatest moment as a Duck football fan--dating back to about 1960--was the Kenny Wheaton pick. I just try to channel my energy into rooting FOR my team rather than AGAINST other teams...unless we're playing them head-to-head.  

Further, I guess I root in concentric circles, starting in Eugene. I want to kick the Beavers' a$$e$ in the Civil War--errrrr, Platypus Punch-Out--every year, but my animosity towards the buck-toothed brethren ends there. I root for PAC-12 North Division teams over South Division teams. I root for all PAC-12 teams over teams from other conferences--PARTICULARLY over SEC teams. So, when (or more likely, "if") the Huskies get into the Rose Bowl or CFB playoffs, I'll root for them over a team from another part of the country.

I understand we all have our own way of sorting these things out, and, I'm sure many of you have a different way. That's fine. Obviously, our life experiences are all different. Just know that I won't "hate" on you; hope you won't "hate" on me.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2