FishDuck Article

Lanning Love: “Football is Fun Again!”

When you have been managing a couple Oregon football sites for a decade with hundreds of contacts among all the readers, writers, photographers, editors and volunteers that have helped the sites–you pick up some pretty tasty tidbits of information on occasion. A Duck-Buddy of many years called me the other day to tell of his own interview with a current ...

Dan-Lanning_Eric-Evans-of-GoDucks.com_-3
FISHDUCK.COM

When you have been managing a couple Oregon football sites for a decade with hundreds of contacts among all the readers, writers, photographers...

Are YOU sold on Coach Lanning yet?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks, this is such great and hopeful news. It pretty much confirms what I was sensing about Lanning, what I heard from some Georgia fans too.

Lanning is the real deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow great information Charles!  Thanks for another good insight into the Lanning era at Oregon.

May I add a possible "third face"?  The one inside the recruits living room talking with parents.

Wow!  The hope that is contained in the phrase Football is fun again!  The reason we play any game.  It's fun!

The hope that the Coach is going to make in-game adjustments is exciting.  Imagine being " football smart" to realize that your plan you made during the week isn't working.  So you adjust and take advantage of what the opponent is giving you.

Can we hope that players will be developed and taught before, during, and after the game?  I can't wait for more Oregon Football!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I am about ready to give DanLan the coach of the year award already. I do love hearing the players respect his football intelligence. Hearing he is thought of as genuine also fills me up. 

I would add Mario did a lot of in game adjustments. Seeing adjustments which work and beguile the opponents, now that would be an adjustment.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/25/2022 at 9:31 AM, Smith72 said:

Wow great information Charles!  Thanks for another good insight into the Lanning era at Oregon.

May I add a possible "third face"?  The one inside the recruits living room talking with parents.

Wow!  The hope that is contained in the phrase Football is fun again!  The reason we play any game.  It's fun!

The hope that the Coach is going to make in-game adjustments is exciting.  Imagine being " football smart" to realize that your plan you made during the week isn't working.  So you adjust and take advantage of what the opponent is giving you.

Can we hope that players will be developed and taught before, during, and after the game?  I can't wait for more Oregon Football!

Go Ducks!

Yes, it's great when players enjoy playing. That usually also makes it more fun for us fans. Football is fun again may soon be applying to us as well! I'm ready for the season to start!

• Thumbs Up 3

That was some great insight!  Thanks Charles for providing that.  That just gets me fired up for not only the football season but spring ball cannot wait to see how the NEW AND IMPROVED  Oregon Ducks look!  GOOOOO  DUUCKS!!!!

• Like 1

Charles, another terrific 'Lanning take.' Thank you.

I always had a disconnect with Mario. The players insisted that Mullens hire Mario but then, where was the love? The on-field play was bafflingly inconsistent for a group of guys who supposedly loved their coach and loved the 'family atmosphere.'  Under Mario, we often witnessed an on-field dysfunctional family atmosphere.

I dearly hope that under Dan, the 'love' expressed by this player will translate to the field of play. That this is not more smoke and mirrors.

We hear the words 'players coach' thrown around. Is Nick Saban a 'players coach?'

So excited to see the product that Lanning and friends will put on the field. I do hope we'll see that football being fun = far more Ws than Ls.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

"Internal BS alert". Love it, and so true!

It is awesome to hear players are buying in to the coach. Winning over upperclassmen is key also. They are the team leaders.

Thanks Charles, this made my weekend. 

Looking forward to the 23rd. Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 2

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again. We may be greatly underestimating the scale of the Lanning tsunami arriving on our shore. 

The dude seems to be the full spectrum real deal. Recruiting, staff building, team chemistry, game planning, motivational speaker and one freaking football coach all rolled into one!

He wants the spring game packed and with super stoked players making plays all over the field, he’ll be impressing a bunch of 4 1/2-5 star recruits in the process. 

The guy seems to not just win but dominate every aspect of coaching there is. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

In Lanning, we have a winner all the way around. 

• Like 1

Thanks Sir Charles. Good info. Most of us were excited to see MC and his bunch go, thank you Miami, and anyone else come to town. Who knew that we would be getting a guy that was a key piece of the Georgia recking crew that won the Natty. The excitement on this forum has been real for most of us for sure.

This piece only confirms what most of us have talking about since he came to town. BS doesn’t seem to be in his nature and if the players feel it then we would be unreasonable not to feel it too. 

My gosh I’m even going to the spring game that I haven’t attended since Helfrich.

I just want to see and hear the positive energy that I didn’t feel sitting in the stands at the last game I went to, the boooo game. Even though we won that game everyone around me was feeling the same way about that Coaching staff and the miserable play calling on both sides of the ball.

I’m sure there will be mistakes but we should be able to adjust just like our players will.

It’s so good to be excited again and for the next chapter to begin.

thanks again Mr Fish Duck.

go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Is that a new slogan?

"You did the Work, NOW Let's Have Some Fun!"

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, woundedknees said:

Is that a new slogan?

"You did the Work, NOW Let's Have Some Fun!"

Having played the game, albeit at the little league D3 level, one thing makes football fun, winning the games you play.

I'm as enthused as are the above commenters to another terrific Lanning take by Charles; however, I need to see the proof in the pudding. Could any team in 2021 have had more fun than the Ducks team we saw winning the game in Columbus? Then?

The schedule in 2022 would have been difficult for an experienced Mike Bellotti with a returning QB the quality of 'Joey Heisman.' I hope I am, as I often am, wrong, but I believe 2022 will require at least a modicum of patience.

2 top 20 opponents OOC and 5 conference road games will be a difficult gauntlet to run with a HC new to his responsibilities, a new group of assistant coaches, a new starting QB, and what is still a young football team. Yes it's a home game, but Utah is still a tough cross division draw.

• Like 1

Ducks were winning under Mario. Apparently that wasn’t much fun.

You always shoot for the perfect season, but there are many obstacles in any given year. Schedule, injuries, and  bad coaching are a few reasons a season can go sideways. We’ve seen it happen first hand. 

However, even if the there are loses it is easy to tell if you have a good team, and good coach.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Having played the game, albeit at the little league D3 level, one thing makes football fun, winning the games you play.

I'm as enthused as are the above commenters to another terrific Lanning take by Charles; however, I need to see the proof in the pudding. Could any team in 2021 have had more fun than the Ducks team we saw winning the game in Columbus? Then?

The schedule in 2022 would have been difficult for an experienced Mike Bellotti with a returning QB the quality of 'Joey Heisman.' I hope I am, as I often am, wrong, but I believe 2022 will require at least a modicum of patience.

2 top 20 opponents OOC and 5 conference road games will be a difficult gauntlet to run with a HC new to his responsibilities, a new group of assistant coaches, a new starting QB, and what is still a young football team. Yes it's a home game, but Utah is still a tough cross division draw.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, thanks for that one, Charles. YEE HAW!!

Gotta say that, as much as I love reading about DanLan's impact on players (already), I'm not terribly surprised. As others have said, there's just something about DanLan's demeanor and delivery in the interviews I've seen so far that says, "This is a guy I'd like to be around. He's a man with a plan, and I'd like to follow him to the promised land."

Having said that, DanLan will no doubt have some critical moments where his reputation as a leader will be shaped--think Chip and LaGarrette Blount. There's something about this guy, though, that gives me confidence he'll pass every test that comes his way. 

Now, I'm already starting to worry that we'll lose this guy in a couple of years to another, richer program. (That worry may come from those years I spent in the near-empty stands during 2-9 and 3-8 seasons under Dick Enright, Don Read, and early Rich Brooks.)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, WiseKwacker said:

That worry may come from those years I spent in the near-empty stands during 2-9 and 3-8 seasons under Dick Enright, Don Read, and early Rich Brooks

Oh yes, when somebody says, "I saw you at the game." He really did see you. Back then Autzen was a great place to go for a nap on a Saturday afternoon. 

• Haha 2

The hard part right now is that with both Belloti and Chip, we had seen them be an integral part of the success machine at Oregon,  so there wasn't as much 'anxiety' over what to expect, especially given the limited turnover in the staff at those critical junctions. Heck, Belloti was a stroll down the hallway if Chip had wanted to pick his brains.

With Lanning, it really is a whole, new, ball game.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, WiseKwacker said:

(That worry may come from those years I spent in the near-empty stands during 2-9 and 3-8 seasons under Dick Enright, Don Read, and early Rich Brooks.)

It wasn't all bad.  I would leave my downtown Eugene office shortly before kickoff,  buy a discounted ticket outside the stadium and relax, reclined against the seats behind me with my legs stretched out the bench in front.  No stress about winning/losing.

• Like 1

Sounds very encouraging coming from a player unscripted.  I'm not as down on MC as many here, but I can't ignore those letdown games (especially Utah twice) where the team just didn't look prepared or motivated.  That falls on the coach and I just have to wonder if burn-out didn't play a role.  To make hard work fun is what makes motivators on the field or on the job great.

That said, it's spring and we're still in the honeymoon period.  We'll see how morale holds up come November.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, McDuck said:

It wasn't all bad. 

True. I was there when we beat the Fuskies 58-0 in '73, but I was also there when we lost to them 54-0 in '77. 

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 1:05 PM, 30Duck said:

Oh yes, when somebody says, "I saw you at the game." He really did see you. Back then Autzen was a great place to go for a nap on a Saturday afternoon.

Those benches in the student section were kinda hard...unless you "numbed" yourself up a bit beforehand.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 1:49 PM, noDucknewby said:

That said, it's spring and we're still in the honeymoon period.

I was thinking about that as I wrote the article...in fact, BOY what a honeymoon we are in!

I assume he will make some rookie mistakes, but I would like to think that the end result will be better than what the status quo was.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, another terrific 'Lanning take.' Thank you.

I always had a disconnect with Mario. The players insisted that Mullens hire Mario but then, where was the love? The on-field play was bafflingly inconsistent for a group of guys who supposedly loved their coach and loved the 'family atmosphere.' 

Ditto on the terrific Lanning take!

If my memory serves Jon, weren’t the leaders on the team that insisted on MC the same players who got to watch Helfrich run the Ferrari into the wall, then got to experience WT drive it off the road and into the mud?

To them, MC, with his promises to turn them into a Mack truck must have seemed like Nirvana!  No wonder they fell for it.

I am so looking forward to the Lanning Era!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/25/2022 at 5:40 PM, WiseKwacker said:

True. I was there when we beat the Fuskies 58-0 in '73, but I was also there when we lost to them 54-0 in '77. 

Is football schizophrenia catching?

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, as it helps with the time put-in.  The Duck-Buddy who provided the information was warmed by the nice thoughts written here as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

That is a great article, Charles. If players buy in to their new coach and his plans, the battle is half won. It's also good that they're having fun too and great for recruits to hear. April 23rd sounds fun. Wish I could be there.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, Drake said:

Ducks were winning under Mario. Apparently that wasn’t much fun.

You always shoot for the perfect season, but there are many obstacles in any given year. Schedule, injuries, and  bad coaching are a few reasons a season can go sideways. We’ve seen it happen first hand. 

However, even if the there are loses it is easy to tell if you have a good team, and good coach.

Many of the Mario games were like going to the dentist. At the end you'll feel better but it hurts along the way.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Many of the Mario games were like going to the dentist. At the end you'll feel better but it hurts along the way.

Ouch! 😄

• Haha 1

Ditto ouch