NJDuck

Report: 4-star Oregon RB Dante Dowdell to Take Unofficial Visit to Ole Miss

Trip to Ole Miss is bothersome.  Hope he stays solidly with Oregon.  This is one fantastic running back.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to multiple reports, Oregon’s 4-star RB Dante Dowdell is taking a visit to Ole Miss this weekend. What does it mean for the Ducks?

On 9/28/2022 at 8:25 AM, NJDuck said:

Trip to Ole Miss is bothersome.  Hope he stays solidly with Oregon.  This is one fantastic running back.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to multiple reports, Oregon’s 4-star RB Dante Dowdell is taking a visit to Ole Miss this weekend. What does it mean for the Ducks?

Maybe's he's taken note of:

Bucky Irving, Noah Whittington, Byron Cardwell, Sean Dollars, Jordan James, Kilohana Haesenritter, Brison Cobbins, Preston Alford, Aaron Smith, Ellis Bynum, and La'Vaughn Luellen et.al.

• Wow 1

I have been worried about this 

From the FishDuck Feed...For what it's worth, just hope it's true

4-star RB Dante Dowdell remains '100% committed' to Oregon despite Ole Miss visit

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dante Dowdell will visit Ole Miss this weekend, but a source tells @zacharycneel that the 4-star RB remains “100% committed” to Oregon.

• Whew! 1

On 9/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

From the FishDuck Feed...For what it's worth, just hope it's true

4-star RB Dante Dowdell remains '100% committed' to Oregon despite Ole Miss visit

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dante Dowdell will visit Ole Miss this weekend, but a source tells @zacharycneel that the 4-star RB remains “100% committed” to 

Can someone explain how that equates to being committed 100 percent?

Is the word "leaving" missing before " Oregon".

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, nw777b said:

Its new math... you wouldn't understand. Ha!

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, nw777b said:

I think it is based upon giving 110%, so there is a 10% leeway.

• Haha 7

On 9/28/2022 at 1:37 PM, DUCati855 said:

Its new math... you wouldn't understand. Ha!

It's like being hungry for lunch but instead of spending your own money, you go to the Cost Co Buffett.  Warning, they frown on the third trip.  Just saying.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 5:34 AM, Mic said:

Maybe's he's taken note of:

Bucky Irving, Noah Whittington, Byron Cardwell, Sean Dollars, Jordan James, Kilohana Haesenritter, Brison Cobbins, Preston Alford, Aaron Smith, Ellis Bynum, and La'Vaughn Luellen et.al.

True, the Ducks are loaded at that position, but Dowdell will give this RB stable some size which will come in handy near the goal line.  They haven't had a big, powerful back since Rolls Royce Freeman.  Dante is already listed as 6'1.5" and 210 lbs.  And he is only going to get bigger.

• Let’s hope! 1

I just want to make one thing perfectly clear here.  I believe Dan Lanning is a great hire.  His coaching selections has, appeared to me, to be about choosing great teachers.  He performs like a good CEO/Administrator with a good plan and the staff to get it done.

The culture has changed, it's not about You/the recruit.  It is about you and how you can be an integral part of the team success.  I believe he would rather a recruit want to be at Oregon.

He has talked about "what are You/the recruit doing, when you do not have the ball".  Them getting more involved, understanding how the little things contribute to success.  His demeanor in public amazes me, as young as he is with this being his first Head Coaching job.  Recruits and future staff should love this kind of Head Coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the NIL/transfer portal/coach carousel/new media era why wouldn't you take every trip possible? Collect as many swag bags, booster bucks, free trips, and Tweets as possible.

Build your brand, TCBin', YOLO and all that is the name of the game nowadays, or so I have been told many times in defense of these changes.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

In the NIL/transfer portal/coach carousel/new media era why wouldn't you take every trip possible? Collect as many swag bags, booster bucks, free trips, and Tweets as possible.

Build your brand, TCBin', YOLO and all that is the name of the game nowadays, or so I have been told many times in defense of these changes.

Also, he is a Mississippi kid. Maybe he grew up a fan of Ole Miss. Why would he want to miss out on a front row seat and a look behind the scenes???

This trip doesn't bother me at all. If somewhere else happens to be a better fit for him, better that he discover that now than during the second week of classes.

The room might look full now, but if the coaches think they need a 4 star commit, I think they can convince the commit of that too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ole Miss vs. Kentucky is going to be one of the best games of the week. I might worm my way into seeing that game if I had the chance.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:30 PM, DuckIt said:

True, the Ducks are loaded at that position, but Dowdell will give this RB stable some size which will come in handy near the goal line.  They haven't had a big, powerful back since Rolls Royce Freeman.  Dante is already listed as 6'1.5" and 210 lbs.  And he is only going to get bigger.

Byron Cardwell is listed at 6'0", 206.

Plus:

All of the above listed Running Backs (11) are either Freshmen or Sophomores.  We have no upperclassmen on roster at this position.  The only way I see Dowdell coming here is if he thinks he'll be carrying the rock in a year or two, at most.  I think Oregon needs another RB on roster about as bad as they need a new head coach.  Nada.  

Better DL, KD & TL spend their time & efforts on other much needed positions like O & D-linemen.  We have a bevy of good linemen leaving soon. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2022 at 6:31 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Also, he is a Mississippi kid. Maybe he grew up a fan of Ole Miss. Why would he want to miss out on a front row seat and a look behind the scenes???

This trip doesn't bother me at all. If somewhere else happens to be a better fit for him, better that he discover that now than during the second week of classes.

The room might look full now, but if the coaches think they need a 4 star commit, I think they can convince the commit of that too.

Not necessarily.    I believe he actually grew up in Louisiana as well so just as likely an LSU fan maybe?

By way of introduction, Dante is my next door neighbor but just for like the last couple of years.   Not his whole life.     I certainly don't know him well but we've made it a point to go to a couple of his games.    My husband says he runs like Eric Dickerson used to run.    You know, more up and down.     I told him we wanted to be sure we'd seen him play before he heads off to Oregon because I hope to watch him play a lot in college.    He said he chose Oregon over Ole Miss because it's a better school and that everyone around here wants him to go to Ole Miss.    My .02 cents?    If he was going to sign with Ole Miss, he already would have.

And, by the way, standing next to this kid, he sure doesn't look like a high schooler!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, Madmarsha said:

Not necessarily.    I believe he actually grew up in Louisiana as well so just as likely an LSU fan maybe?

By way of introduction, Dante is my next door neighbor but just for like the last couple of years.   Not his whole life.     I certainly don't know him well but we've made it a point to go to a couple of his games.    My husband says he runs like Eric Dickerson used to run.    You know, more up and down.     I told him we wanted to be sure we'd seen him play before he heads off to Oregon because I hope to watch him play a lot in college.    He said he chose Oregon over Ole Miss because it's a better school and that everyone around here wants him to go to Ole Miss.    My .02 cents?    If he was going to sign with Ole Miss, he already would have.

And, by the way, standing next to this kid, he sure doesn't look like a high schooler!

Do us Duck fans a favor and fly a Ducks flag in your yard. Be a big help, thanks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

You have to trust a kids word and honor choices they make.  Life is about making decisions, we wont like a lot but the ones that come freely are the most committed ones.  Character matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

If our offensive line keeps growing like it seems to be now I don’t think running back commits will be a problem. Even our backup OLineman are doing a great job. Only problem I see as of now is if he wants to be the feature back it will be tough to crack this lineup.

I’m still a little confused about who is our best back. They all have their strengths and possibly our best back is still not ready to go because of injury and so far he isn’t needed.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:25 AM, NJDuck said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

I say, let him go and spend the time and effort to bring in more linemen.  

I commented on this earlier last week.  We have no upperclassmen in this position but are loaded with good RB's who are doing a great job.  No reason to replace Irving, Whittington, Cardell, James or Dollars, nor the others behind them.  Dowdell would just be one more RB in an already crowded room of good backs.

Dante currently lives in Mississippi.  Not surprising he is visiting a Mississippi school.  The city he lives in is along the Mississippi/Louisiana border, so I wouldn't be surprised if he visited LSU and Tulane.  Most of these kids will only have this one time in their life to be wined and dined.  It sucks for us to wonder, but if either of my kids are able to be wined and dined by multiple universities, I say go for it.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:30 PM, DuckIt said:

He is built more like an SEC back.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Collect as many swag bags, booster bucks, free trips, and Tweets as possible.

Yes. Rumor has it that he mainly wants to be able to give an Ole Miss coffee mug to his great uncle, who's an Ole Miss fan.  😉

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 5:30 PM, DuckIt said:

They haven't had a big, powerful back since Rolls Royce Freeman.

Cardwell was listed at 6' and 210lb...which I wouldn't consider a small back by any means.

Heard he signed his letter of intent today.     Go Ducks!     By the way, Kiffin was here at Dante's house and Mike Leach was here ... about a week before he died!

Edited by Madmarsha
  • Go Ducks! 1