FishDuck Article

Lanning/Lupoi Blitzes: How Oregon Plays It Safe

Oregon fans were thrilled to learn of the defensive pedigree of new Duck head coach Dan Lanning after leading the Georgia defense to a national championship last year. While most fans would assume there would be a learning curve for Oregon’s defensive players beyond this year, we anticipated seeing more success on defense than what we have thus far this ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon fans were thrilled to learn of the defensive pedigree of new Duck head coach Dan Lanning after leading the Georgia defense to a...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Constraint which creates havoc. Without the qb being able to roll out the play is limited. Much like limiting a basketball player to his weak hand, or away from the play he wants to make. Great analysis!

• Thumbs Up 2

Go Ducks

Thank you Charles. 

Edited by debbieduck

Wonderful analysis Charles!  Thanks for investing the time to teach us DL's  concepts of creative pressure with 4.

I like the safe play. It's  a complicated defense Lanning is installing. Going to take a couple years for these players to get a full grasp and be able to execute at a high level.

What a blessing there is so much youth on in this prog'm. Should accelerate the process.  Less Mariø habits to break as well.

The cover 2 helps reduce chunk plays over the top, live to play another down. Thanks OBDF, I understand the scheme a little better. Helps to enjoy the game a little more.

This technique (staying safe) would suggest much fewer sacks with (hopefully) more throw-aways instead.  Both result in a 'lost' down but without the lost yardage (and punishment on the QB) a sack yields.  

It will be interesting to see how Stanford counters this, keeping in mind their two injured OT's and #1 RB.

Edited by Mic

On 9/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, Mic said:

Both result in a 'lost' down but without the lost yardage (and punishment on the QB) a sack yields.  

In my view, that assessment is incomplete, as it does not take into account the number of times you blitz five or six, and get burned in the secondary because the opposing offensive line held up against us well.

That was what was happening at times in games, IMHO.  We have done some bigger blitzes with little effect, thus it makes sense to send fewer and rely on a secondary that is getting better every game.

It is not ideal, but I believe it is the baby-step Lanning is using for now.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That was what was happening at times in games, IMHO.  We have done some bigger blitzes with little effect, thus it makes sense to send fewer and rely on a secondary that is getting better every game.

It is not ideal, but I believe it is the baby-step Lanning is using for now.

For now, as in recruiting better pass rushers?   Well, if this technique continues to work I'm all for it.  It was pretty amazing to see how well it helped the secondary standup when the QB had so much time to find a receiver.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:12 AM, debbieduck said:

I enjoyed the read.   I am going to have to read it again I am sure.  

From an untrained eye such as mine, it is looking like he doesn’t trust his secondary.  Especially the safety position.  

I guess playing it safe is necessary while young talent is developing.

I must admit, giving ten yard cushions to receivers makes me nervous against UCLA, Utah, and Washington.  They have very talented QB’s. 

Thank you Charles 

Lanning does trust his secondary, let me explain. This is what I've come up with in large part trading takes back and forth with Charles - if I'm partway there he fills in the blank spots for me well. 

But first this is a great article, the stills and videos tie in with what Charles is teaching so well. They also show the two deep safeties in the Oregon Cover-2 well. Well Done, Charles!! People should really learn from this.

I was expecting with the Lanning hire we'd get a havoc downhill defense like WAZZU runs.

But it appears Lanning's brilliant mind has sorted his personnel and he is controlling the game with his defense.

Lanning wants to stress the opposing teams offensive line coach and players - he is doing that by them never knowing what four players are going to rush the passer.

The Duck's defense is stuffing the run and sits at No. 16 in rush defense at 86.5 yards per game. So, teams have to pass to move the ball consistently. He has made teams one dimensional on offense

Lanning is running the Cover-2 with the two deep safeties. That look pre-snap tells the QB the open read will be bubble screens, slants, short crosses and RB screens. The QB knows any deep pass with have max protection from the two deep safeties and is the wrong read.

Lanning has now made the other teams passing game one dimensional

Lanning is controlling how the other team attacks his defense.

They can't run and they can't pass deep, and Lanning gets enough pressure rushing four to cause problems. When QBs hold the ball and look for the deep a ball we are getting pressure to them.

To tie this up I think Lanning knew he was going to have a high scoring offense with explosion plays and lighting fast scoring drives. He expects to play from the lead most of the time and make teams pass to catch up.

His defense is built to not let other teams run the ball effectively so they can establish early control of the game with the run. Then when the Ducks get out to a lead - teams will have to pass more to catch up. The open spots Lanning is giving them to pass is underneath making them drive the field, they run clock and they get no over the top huge explosion plays.

Until some team can come out and run the ball early with enough sucess that they can get out to a lead, and their defense is slowing us down... well only then do i suspect we will adjust to stop them.

Based on what I think and Charles input. I think we will see this scheme on defense with the Cover-2 and simulated pressures in the four-man rush continue to be the heart of our defensive scheme. 

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I tried to de my post out twice. Not sure how you still got it?   Lol

On 9/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

The Duck's defense is stuffing the run and sits at No. 16 in rush defense at 86.5 yards per game.

This stat blows my mind DZC, because it begins to make my mind rumble at other thoughts, and we will have to do a "conference" later today about it.  Chip Kelly always told us that when the other team is operating with a two-high safety look...you run the ball on them.  With one less defender in the box, and that always shouted "run-the-ball" to Chip.  (and most coaches)

But are we potentially getting the best of both worlds?  We are stopping the explosion plays, but also stopping the running attack with a two-high safety look that is known to give up more in the running game?

Perhaps I am being too harsh on the front seven, and it begins to make me view the defensive strategy of Lanning in a new light.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I also think we saw Oregon's defense go into containment on WSU's qb Ward because he was a very dangerous runner, or at least dangerous moving in the pocket. Containing him where he might not want to be was almost as effective as creating a sack. 

This weekend we again see a very good qb in Tanner McKee. The difference is he is a pocket passer, who is big and tall, but not the running threat. It will be interesting to see if the Ducks can provide more pressure knowing he probably won't be as agile as Ward was.

Another difference from the past is Stanford doesn't have the height advantage they use to have against our defense when throwing the ball. It will be interesting to watch how the passing game plays out, if I can stay up that late!

• Thumbs Up 2

Great articles that really help me more deeply understand the game. I came to FishDuck because of these analytical articles, but I’ve come to realize how much time and effort each article takes. So double (quadruple) thank you for two great articles. I look forward to using my new found knowledge as I watch Oregon play. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This stat blows my mind DZC, because it begins to make my mind rumble at other thoughts, and we will have to do a "conference" later today about it.  Chip Kelly always told us that when the other team is operating with a two-high safety look...you run the ball on them.  With one less defender in the box, and that always shouted "run-the-ball" to Chip.  (and most coaches)

But are we potentially getting the best of both worlds?  We are stopping the explosion plays, but also stopping the running attack with a two-high safety look that is known to give up more in the running game?

Perhaps I am being too harsh on the front seven, and it begins to make me view the defensive strategy of Lanning in a new light.

giphy.gif

That 86.5 yards includes the game with Georgia whose RBs and OL are levels above the Pac-12.

Against BYU and WAZZU we have held them combined to 114 yards on 49 rushes for a 2.3 yards per carry average and 57 yards per game.

You are correct run into the 2 deep safeties, and when they go one deep safety to stop the run then pass on them. I've heard Dan Mullen say that. 

The Ducks are stuffing the run even with two deep safeties. I guess that would have to do with the defensive line and the MINT that is in a 4-0-4 technique you've schooled me in, along with strong LB play against the run?

Equally impressive the Ducks offense ran into the WAZZU Cover-1 with the extra defender in the box for 178 yards at a 5.6 yard per carry clip.

Lanning is getting it done with Mario's players in the trenches on both sides while Dilly has the offense explosive - what a quick turnaround. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if David Shaw will attempt to prove Chip right this Saturday?  Reports are that E.J.Smith may be out (best RB) so he may have to adjust and throw more (my guess).  

On 9/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

I also think we saw Oregon's defense go into containment on WSU's qb Ward because he was a very dangerous runner, or at least dangerous moving in the pocket. Containing him where he might not want to be was almost as effective as creating a sack. 

Great post. We have flushed the BYU and WAZZU QBs to one side of the field at times and that really takes away the far third of the field as an option to pass to. Also, both were mobile as you say and projected 1st round picks - who threw quite a few balls away.

Against lessor QBs we might start to see more forced throws and interceptions. 

I don't mind a slow and steady defensive scheme install. It's a confusing defense with many aspects of it being counter intuitive. At UGA our defense was more confused by our defense than UGA was! I'm fine with giving them time to really understand the basics before adding the cool bells and whistles. I'm really enjoying this season.

If we stumble here or there along the way, I can live with it. The direction we're heading is promising. It will be worth the wait.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, Mic said:

I wonder if David Shaw will attempt to prove Chip right this Saturday?  Reports are that E.J.Smith may be out (best RB) so he may have to adjust and throw more (my guess).  

The Ducks have the best DL in the Pac-12. Even with 1st team All-Pac Popo out we have Dorlus All-Pac. Taki was PFF top 5 DL in Pac last year. Hudson-Ware is a four star out of Mater Dei. Riley and Rogers are B1G maulers. The Ducks also have the best LB room in the Pac. 

All this is part of the reason we expected the Havoc on defense - but it is showing through in how we are stopping the run with two deep safeties. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet the points given up by the air and the average pass play against us...is not good.  I went overboard writing "best of both worlds" because we have not achieved the ideal yet.

But it points to where Lanning wants to go, to improve at.  And the defensive strategy is based upon a confidence in the offensive scoring tons of points. Sometimes coaches devise plans to make the best of their talent--even though it is not ideal in many ways.  The objective is to win any way you can.

The 2001 team that ended up No. 2 in the nation...scored on average 34 points a game on offense, and gave up 21 points a game on defense.  That offensive number is quite pedestrian by current standards, and the defensive number is good, (one that I'd love) but not great.

That team just found ways to win. Maybe we are trying to find our "sweet-spot" in strategy for winning?

Troy Franklin winning TD_Harry Caston.jpg

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

One of the things I loved was in the second video that forced another throw away was what Dorlus did in his pressure. He pushed but instead of continuing to push he pulled back while the other rushers pushed forward. He reset and then ran forward to apply pressure again but he filled a gap that would have been a possible run lane for the QB to escape from. 

If he stayed on his original attack line there would have been a decent sized hole for Ward to scramble through, or at least try. 

Even a little later in the play Sewell also does a little reset and realign movement when his initial line of attack is already occupied by an Oregon defender. 

What happens so frequently is when defenders get bunched up and a hole opens up then it leads to a quarterback finding a way to make a play. 

Granted... that still happened a lot this game and some of those plays Ward made had some mind boggling luck attached to them. But we are starting to get a taste of what this defense is supposed to do and how good it can be when everyone does their job. 

• Thumbs Up 3

We are stopping the explosion plays, but also stopping the running attack with a two-high safety look that is known to give up more in the running game?

Feels like Lanning is just teasing us. I'm so excited for this defense. Year two under this staff should prove to be incredible. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, David Marsh said:

One of the things I loved was in the second video that forced another throw away was what Dorlus did in his pressure. He pushed but instead of continuing to push he pulled back while the other rushers pushed forward. He reset and then ran forward to apply pressure again but he filled a gap that would have been a possible run lane for the QB to escape from. 

If he stayed on his original attack line there would have been a decent sized hole for Ward to scramble through, or at least try. 

Even a little later in the play Sewell also does a little reset and realign movement when his initial line of attack is already occupied by an Oregon defender. 

What happens so frequently is when defenders get bunched up and a hole opens up then it leads to a quarterback finding a way to make a play. 

Granted... that still happened a lot this game and some of those plays Ward made had some mind boggling luck attached to them. But we are starting to get a taste of what this defense is supposed to do and how good it can be when everyone does their job. 

Great point Marsh, you wonder if dan and Tosh are teaching the DL guys when to read they need to be containing on the rush?

Charles rocked this article and video. On the first video at the 26 second mark, we see Bridges guy has beat him inside but that's impossible for Ward to make when he's been flushed to the other sideline. and he doesn't get the time to let the WR come across the field to him.

Also, Benett was at the Star and Stephans who was the deep safety on that side are switching off their men they are covering. 

Then at the 28 second mark we see the other deep safety dropped almost to the endzone on his sides hash mark. 

Charles and my articles without knowing really tied into each other and he did a great job all around on his article. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like we need superb athletes on the D line to make it sing. Smart and fast athletes in the secondary

This is the best feed I have had the joy of reading. I am a much smarter fan for it. Thanks.

I remember, it was last week I think, Lanning was defending Noah Sewell's play. Many of us were concerned about the lack of production from NS.

We fans were so used to him running around the field blowing guys up last year. There were a ton of comments here about the concern of the LB play.

These articles seem to have cleared it up a bit. Perhaps LB's are actually playing better,  smarter team football this year. Even though it doesn't show on the stat sheet.

Lanning's Ducks are just getting started. In a world of Me-Me and "I am going to get mine", Lanning has gotten this team to buy into "I am my brothers keeper" in a big way.

This will only make these Young Ducks (82% underclassmen) better football players. Makin these young men, who aspire to be next level, that much more valuable to The League.

It is much more clear as to why and how Georgia turned so many into high NFL draft picks. Thank you Dan Lanning and Kirby Smart.

Go Ducks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning does trust his secondary, let me explain. This is what I've come up with in large part trading takes back and forth with Charles - if I'm partway there he fills in the blank spots for me well. 

But first this is a great article, the stills and videos tie in with what Charles is teaching so well. They also show the two deep safeties in the Oregon Cover-2 well. Well Done, Charles!! People should really learn from this.

I was expecting with the Lanning hire we'd get a havoc downhill defense like WAZZU runs.

But it appears Lanning's brilliant mind has sorted his personnel and he is controlling the game with his defense.

Lanning wants to stress the opposing teams offensive line coach and players - he is doing that by them never knowing what four players are going to rush the passer.

The Duck's defense is stuffing the run and sits at No. 16 in rush defense at 86.5 yards per game. So, teams have to pass to move the ball consistently. He has made teams one dimensional on offense

Lanning is running the Cover-2 with the two deep safeties. That look pre-snap tells the QB the open read will be bubble screens, slants, short crosses and RB screens. The QB knows any deep pass with have max protection from the two deep safeties and is the wrong read.

Lanning has now made the other teams passing game one dimensional

Lanning is controlling how the other team attacks his defense.

They can't run and they can't pass deep, and Lanning gets enough pressure rushing four to cause problems. When QBs hold the ball and look for the deep a ball we are getting pressure to them.

To tie this up I think Lanning knew he was going to have a high scoring offense with explosion plays and lighting fast scoring drives. He expects to play from the lead most of the time and make teams pass to catch up.

His defense is built to not let other teams run the ball effectively so they can establish early control of the game with the run. Then when the Ducks get out to a lead - teams will have to pass more to catch up. The open spots Lanning is giving them to pass is underneath making them drive the field, they run clock and they get no over the top huge explosion plays.

Until some team can come out and run the ball early with enough sucess that they can get out to a lead, and their defense is slowing us down... well only then do i suspect we will adjust to stop them.

Based on what I think and Charles input. I think we will see this scheme on defense with the Cover-2 and simulated pressures in the four-man rush continue to be the heart of our defensive scheme. 

it reminds of the bend don't break to prevent deep plays. Backers are working in concert with d line to determine the type of O run against them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:13 PM, Duckhart said:

it reminds of the bend don't break to prevent deep plays.

Tomorrow's article by DZC is a dandy, so don't forget this comment of yours.  😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Also, Benett was at the Star and Stephans who was the deep safety on that side are switching off their men they are covering. 

I saw one of these switches and said to myself “oh sh**, oh sh**,” thinking the receiver was going to be wide open, and then when they switched so skillfully I was saying “what great defense!”

• Thumbs Up 3

Defensive lineman are often tasked with pinning their ears back and just going after the qb. The O-lineman are trained to create wholes and pass protect, creating at nice pocket for the qb.

With a Lanning defense we see our defenders doing more than just going as fast and as direct to the qb as possible. They are controlling the plays with their movements, more than the opposing offensive lines.

I still remember Noah running right past guys when he was a freshman. He often did not even realizing they had the ball or he missed the qb. I remember saying when he slows down and sees the game being played he would be a force, we are there!

There is much more discipline on the defense now, not the crazy sack stats, or the flashy interceptions numbers, but just solid, smart defense. I like it, actually I love it!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2