Log Haulin

Big Man to Ducks?

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

The Oregon Ducks are neck-and-neck with the USC Trojans for the top recruiting class in the Pac-12...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

We need this one badly. Fingers crossed. 

On 10/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, GeotechDuck said:

We need this one badly. Fingers crossed. 

+ Along with Brandon Baker!  It will be great to get both of these big O linemen.

"Prediction: Iapani "Poncho" Laloulu to Oregon Ducks

Farrington (Hawaii) four-star interior offensive lineman Iapani Laloulu, the nation's No. 7 guard, had a stellar trip to Oregon."  

(from the posted article above).

Question: how does the "nation's #7 guard" rate only 4-stars?  Are any of the first six 5-stars?

On 10/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, Mic said:

"Prediction: Iapani "Poncho" Laloulu to Oregon Ducks

Farrington (Hawaii) four-star interior offensive lineman Iapani Laloulu, the nation's No. 7 guard, had a stellar trip to Oregon."  

(from the posted article above).

Question: how does the "nation's #7 guard" rate only 4-stars?  Are any of the first six 5-stars?

It's the difference between ratings and rankings. The stars come from an evaluation of skills, the rankings are only a comparison with other players. There aren't many 5-star players.

Better question:  why does the "nations #7 guard" have less than ten offers?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, McDuck said:

It could be because he has limited his interest to just certain teams, I suppose.  Why would, say, TCU offer him if he's already indicated he wants to play for a Top 10 team, period?  I'm just guessing here.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, Mic said:

Its a crazy metrics game. Some of the top six would be five-stars but there is not a set number. Height, weight, performance and any other measurement you can think of goes into creating these rankings. Even then all these rankings vary from recruiting service. 

In any given year there is usually a coupe five stars at any position but that isn't guaranteed by any stretch. Some years can have more five-stars than others... same goes for four-stars.

Three-stars are more nebulous as there are usually a ton of three-star recruits so I assume there is a minimum for being ranked. There are two-star recruits but usually when you start to get into two-star recruit status it is by chance a player is even ranked as a two-star at all and not just considered unranked. 

This year is also pretty thin in terms of quality offensive line talent so there are a few five-stars but no where near as many as there are in a "normal" year. This year there are fewer ready-made linemen and a lot more lower ranked linemen who would be considered projects for coaches. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:57 AM, Mic said:

It could be because he has limited his interest to just certain teams, I suppose.  

True, but, as a rule, that only stops a certain number of programs from pursuing a potential recruit. Many, if not most, have experienced at one time or another a player having changed their mind and ending up at an unexpected destination. Hence, the experienced coaches know to always keep in touch and not to quit until the letter is signed.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, McDuck said:

As I see it, who the offers are makes more difference than how many.

If you have offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, USC, Georgia and Michigan for example (I haven't seen his offer list so this is not his offer list) it may scare away some others. 

That kind of offer list also says some really good programs want this guy and recognize him as a player good enough for their program.

• Thumbs Up 1

I trust these coaches to be good judges of talent and character. Not many 5* linemen. Most 5* are "skill position" players and are limited to 32 players. 

• Go Ducks! 1

This guy is a truck hauling a road train. Get him- and three more like him.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Flyin Vee said:

This guy is a truck hauling a road train. Get him- and three more like him.

Big is one thing.  Can he move, is he smart, has he shown flexibility and durability?  Is he coachable and a good person?  Big is easy, the rest not so easy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

How is Arizona doing so well recruiting suddenly? They got our WR last year!

Sure hope he chooses our Ducks.

Perhaps being from Hawaii limits his exposure to more schools?

• Thumbs Up 1

He has some strong offers. Miami obviously, Penn state, Vols and Gators. Az is on the up swing also.

Clearly he is an interior lineman. Dudes a mountain. I am sure Klem and Love will get his down around the 320# range.

How active are his feet? Thats what I would like to know. With all the stunt on the line this year, he will have to be able to move. 

Dudes.jpg

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

On 10/5/2022 at 3:22 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Dudes.jpg

Careful, man, I have a beverage here....

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, DanLduck said:

How is Arizona doing so well recruiting suddenly? They got our WR last year!

Sure hope he chooses our Ducks.

Perhaps being from Hawaii limits his exposure to more schools?

If Hawaii isn't on the radar of just about every school (save Stanford and Yale) then that's on them.  There are an awful lot of talented, big and ferocious players coming out of Hawaii and American Samoa.  Oregon has it dialed in and I hope they keep it that way.

• Thumbs Up 1