HawaiiDuck

What Grade Should Lanning Receive So Far As Head Coach?

He has not got it all figured out yet, but is miles ahead of most new coaches and our prior coach.  I give him an A- since I am delighted, and yet see extensive upside left.

Dan Lanning by Pac12 Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Beat legit top 20 team. Check

Come from behind road win. Check

Separates from underdogs early in games. Double Check

Visible team improvement week to week. Check

Seems like an A grade to me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On an 'A-F' basis I'd say B+ to A-.  His team has been exhibiting disciplinary issues which have actually accelerated of late.  This is about the only complaint I can think of - but it's an important one.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As a coaching staff the offensive side of the ball gets a high mark. 

My expectations for our Defense, with our talent,  and Lanning’s experience under Kirby, haven’t been realized yet 

But it’s still early in the season.  

Edited by debbieduck
  • Applause 2

I give him a B+. Has done an admirable job molding the program in his vision so far but it's still a work in progress. The pass defense is a big sore point. Once he fixes that (and penalties) I'll move that up to an A.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, debbieduck said:

My expectations for our Defense, with our talent,  and Lanning’s experience under Kirby, haven’t been realized yet 

Defensive issues are Lupoi's single, primary responsibility and Lanning's secondary one.  I'd absolutely agree with you if it weren't that the head coach is tasked with leaning on his O.C. for offense and his D.C. for defense while he runs the overall program.

If I had one knock (besides discipline issues) on Dan Lanning I'd have to point to Tosh Lupoi as his choice for D.C.  However, I believe Lanning firmly believes in him so I'll try too as well.   And you're also absolutely right, we are only 5 games into Lanning's 1st season.  4-1 isn't bad given the schedule they've played so far.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a coaching staff the offensive side of the ball gets a high mark. 

But it’s still early in the season.  

New schemes and such, I think as long as we continue to see improvement, and we have, it's going to be good.  Position coaches already seem to develop players better, not just recruit 4/5 star kids.  That is HUGE

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

New defensive scheme.

Also, the defensive back positions are some of the most difficult positions to develop young players. We have some very young DBs. 

Rule changes that protect QBs put a lot of pressure on a defensive backfield. 

Receivers also have the 5 yard rule that allows them to run freely in the middle of the field without contact. Defending the passing game against an experienced QB is difficult at best. 

• Go Ducks! 1

4 wins 5 games = 80%

But, it's not fair to knock him 20% for losing to the Defending National Champs... which we all suspected would be a loss.

So I knock him 8% because of the blowout.

That puts him at 92%.

So a low "A" from me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He isn't a student, he is an employee. The guy has earned a raise, especially if you look at what other programs have done under new coaches, or really any metric other than a grading system. 

I always hated the grading system we use in most situations. A student starts out with an A and then works their way down, based on mistakes, then they get even more conservative so they don't make mistakes.

Lanning has made some mistakes, but he has learned and improved. So far he is probably the greatest employee we have had as the leader of this program. 

The guy deserves a raise and to be treated as the boss, leader of the program, and I am extremely grateful he is our coach.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, cartm25 said:

- Riley (an offensive genius) turned around the USC O overnight. Lanning (a defensive genius) has not done that with the Ducks D. 

Riley and his team of over-rated self-absorbed cheats have beaten nobody. Ok, Beavs are decent, Riley only managed to hang 17 on them. Took late into the game to seal the victory.

I have no respect for SC and their turncoat ways. U$C will be exposed as frauds soon. When they bounce to B1G they will never be relevant again. 

Oh yea... B+ for Lanning.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Incomplete. Too early to tell, even though all signs so far are good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I say a B to B+ ---He needs to get the showboating and penalties down a whole bunch.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ask me again after the  UW  game lol. I'd say B- for now. Defense is a big problem. 

I'll give him an A as a very early interim grade because:

1. This is his FIRST ever head coaching job....imagine what an incredible leap that is at any level let alone  coming to a program with the expectations that are at Oregon. Think of your first day nervousness walking into a new job. Then imagine how he had to have felt walking into this. Excited yes, but it still has to be pretty overwhelming. i can picture him laying in bed at three in the morning staring at the ceiling and saying to his wife "can you freakin' even believe I'm the head football coach at the University of Oregon? How did I get from waiter at Outback Steakhouse to this. Can I really do this?" and her saying "go back to sleep. You've got a team meeting early tomorrow."

2. He's won the games he was expected to win. Not pretty but he has the "W's" and has created some momentum.

All that said, it is way too early to even have any clue whatsoever about what kind of HC he'll be in the long run. I think it'll take at least two seasons to truly get an accurate read on him.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

For a first time head coach from William Jewell College who knows what he wants and gets what he wants...................................A+.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I give Lanning an A so far.  I’m discounting the GA game bc there were many variables working against the Ducks that day.  1st time this and that ext… Plus playing against a very good team that played very well that day.  It was the perfect storm for a disastrous start, and possibly unavoidable that particular day.  That being said, the rebound has been spectacular.  The Ducks look strong.  

I’m 100% sure that what happened on Sept 3 will not even come close to happening again, no matter who the Ducks play.  Yes, they certainly need to clean up the penalties but this team has great potential.  I know it’s cliche but I honestly believe the only team left on the schedule that can beat the Ducks is the Ducks.  GO DUCKS!!!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 11:13 AM, Mic said:

His team has been exhibiting disciplinary issues which have actually accelerated of late.

I’m wondering if this is a sign that (the dreaded) complacency starting to “infect” the players. 

That caveat aside, solid A. Handled the leap from associate to head coach beautifully. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 6:15 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I give Lanning an A so far.  I’m discounting the GA game bc there were many variables working against the Ducks that day.  1st time this and that ext… Plus playing against a very good team that played very well that day.  It was the perfect storm for a disastrous start, and possibly unavoidable that particular day.  That being said, the rebound has been spectacular.  

The Ducks look strong.  I’m 100% sure that what happened on Sept 3 will not even come close to happening again, no matter who the Ducks play.  Yes, they certainly need to clean up the penalties but this team has great potential.  I know it’s cliche but I honestly believe the only team left on the schedule that can beat the Ducks is the Ducks.  GO DUCKS!!!

Glad you are having a great season watching the Ducks. You might bleed Dawg red but you clearly have a strip of green and yellow running through you. Love seeing new fans added to the flock 

• Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely, I’m loving watching these Ducks!!!

On 10/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Glad you are having a great season watching the Ducks. You might bleed Dawg red but you clearly have a strip of green and yellow running through you. Love seeing new fans added to the flock 

That Washington St game had me on the edge of my seat.  Apologies, I had a slight error with the quoting😁.  I’ll blame it on fat thumbs

On 10/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Edited by SoGaDawg

On 10/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, cartm25 said:

Overall:  INCOMPLETE (still 2/3 the season remaining)

1st Q / Trimester Grade:  B

Reasons for “B” and not “A”:

- Slaughtered by Georgia. Could have earned an “A” with a loss as long as the Ducks didn’t get embarrassed, but they did.

- The WSU game. It was an exciting win, but I still maintain that WSU lost that game more than the Ducks won it.

- Riley (an offensive genius) turned around the USC O overnight. Lanning (a defensive genius) has not done that with the Ducks D. I believe defense is harder to do a 180 with, so until I see some tangible improvement, no “A”. I anticipate this will swing by the end of the year.

Riley put up 17 at OSU...  Riley generally folds when his offense gets punched in the mouth.  

On 10/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Lrod said:

Riley put up 17 at OSU...  Riley generally folds when his offense gets punched in the mouth.  

That's right, they struggled against a pretty game OSU defense.  The Trojans might just be a bit of a paper tiger against a big, strong physical smash-mouth team.  the Beavers aren't that, but they were more physical than the Trojans were prepared for.

To me, the University of Southern California Trojans have always been a 'prima donna' team.  When things are going their way, watch out!  When the 1st sign of trouble seeps in and they get a couple of bad breaks they can fall apart faster than wet graham crackers.  They've been a mentally fragile team for decades. Oregon, sadly, has exhibited some of the same characteristics in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 1