Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning Weekly Press Conference: Addresses Auburn Rumor

Monday evening's weekly press conference provided Dan Lanning with the

opportunity to address the Auburn coaching rumors that circulated over the weekend.

Lanning went into great length to explain why he'd be different than a pair of recent

coaches who left Oregon abruptly for southeastern coaching jobs.

In an answer that lasted more than 70 seconds, Lanning laid out why his time in Oregon won't be a brief one.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning shoots down Auburn rumor: 'Grass isn't always greener'

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's a hell of a response. 

I do think even if Auburn were tempting to Lanning I don't think his family would buy into it. He's here long enough to give his kids a normal routine and allow them to be kids and not kids that are constantly moving. 

WATCH: Dan Lanning Weekly Press Conference | November 7th, 2022

Everything Dan Lanning said on Monday of Washington week - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning met with the media over Zoom on Monday of Washington week.  Here is a complete transcript of...

• Thumbs Up 1

As resounding a job interest denial as Ive ever heard and a great message of support for the job as a destination.

The grass isn’t always greener. It’s damn green in Eugene Lanning said. 

He’s got me convinced he might be here a while. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

""I think history maybe shows that this is a great place to be and not a great place to leave."

Expert piece of trolling.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

For those who saw the Crystal ball flip of Dante Moore (to MSU), it apparently rests on a perceived risk of DL leaving for Auburn as Moore has cited his relationship with both DL and Dilly for his commitment to Oregon 

If that is indeed correct then after today MSU is going to need some other angle to work as that answer from DL was about as unambiguous as it comes

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, jrw said:

""I think history maybe shows that this is a great place to be and not a great place to leave."

Expert piece of trolling.

Also shows he does read all the same stuff we're reading. 

• Like 1

"I have an 11 year old who has lived in 8 states, the last thing that I would ever want to do is leave."

Great recruiting on his part using, family, team, support, and fans.

I believe that he will stick around, and I believe that he knows it will only get better, look at the sellouts already.

Personally, I get to finally bring my 8 year old grandson to Autzen for a game and it justs happens to be the Utah game.

I hope he gets to see the whole Autzen experience.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When Jackson was three and we took him to Stanford.   IMG_3197.JPG.8367821224184ba5c34946b035e166f9.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

Auburn just hired a search firm and they didn’t even have Dan Lanning as a potential candidate. Fanboy Auburn site was looking to gin up some good feelings for the Auburn fans and generate some subscription sign ups after a horrible couple seasons. 

Lanning's statement was pretty definitive. Nothing mealy-mouthed about it. Works on a lot of levels:

What he is building with this Oregon team.

What he is saying to current and future recruits.

What he is saying to the OBD fan base and UO administration. 

What he is telling other programs that will come head hunting for him.

What he is saying to other PAC programs (I'm here to stay, boys).

Most importantly, what he wants for his family. And the sweet bit of trolling on the fortunes of those who bail for their dream job elsewhere.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I like this article on Dan Lanning and his actions since taking the head coaching job at Oregon.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning was asked about a report that surfaced over the weekend about mutal interest between him and the Auburn Tigers. opening at head coach after the Tigers fired

• Applause 3

Didn't Cristobal or Taggart also say something like "I will be here as long as Eugene will have me?"

On 11/8/2022 at 9:02 AM, Utki said:

Didn't Cristobal or Taggart also say something like "I will be here as long as Eugene will have me?"

The question is did we believe either of these slime balls?

I believe this one. Been around salespeople over half my life and generally have a good feel for BS. If I met Dan in the business world my take would be honest and sincere person ... but I have been wrong a few times...lol.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:02 AM, Utki said:

To be fair to both (tho we're all happy they're not here anymore) both were known to have expressed a :"dream job" elsewhere (FSU & Miami).  It was just a matter of time before that dream job opened up.  Lanning hasn't (as far as I know) ever voiced a similar sentiment.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I'm superstitious, I don't want to see all the talk about DL leaving turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sure we've heard this all before, but as far as I'm concerned we take him at his word and make him feel welcome.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 3

The reporters teed up the question pretty well. But, Lanning without hesitation addressed it and promptly drove it 390 straight down the fairway. 

He is 100% a Duck. I feel confident in saying he will be here for quite some time. Long enough to have some buildings named after him.

• Thumbs Up 2

They are all going to say the same thing, until they get a right-fitting offer that they can't refuse.   I think the problem with Auburn is the fit - they will likely not want someone who is yet inexperienced as HC, even with the success so far.   If OBD makes playoff or beyond, then that narrative may change.  But not at this point.  MC had no offer even after the Rose Bowl season, right?   On the other hand, DL may not like to be in the pressure cooker and the mess that's Auburn, at this point of his career.  It makes a lot more sense to build on his success here so far.

So this is simply a story of fit.   Because of that, he won't leave now for Auburn.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, DUCati855 said:

He is 100% a Duck. I feel confident in saying he will be here for quite some time. Long enough to have some buildings named after him.

We'll see (probably) how this all changes or stays the same after season 2, 3 & 4.  If the Ducks are still putting up 40+ pts/game and winning 10/12 games per season, Lanning has a pretty secure job here.  If he falls down slowly, (going 9-3, 8-4, 7-5) that might be another matter entirely.  

If I were to lay odds on this I'd be inclined to bet Lanning continues to keep Oregon very competitive and in the run for the Roses more often than not.

Let's just put it this way. I've been to Oregon (visited Eugene), I've been to NE Alabama. I know the SEC plays some good football, but even with that, why would anyone in their right mind choose to live in Alabama over Oregon. 

Seems like Lanning not only loves coaching at the University of Oregon, he loves living in Eugene and thinks it's a great place to put down roots with his family. I don't think he will leave unless he's not doing well and Oregon wants him to or until all of his kids have graduated from high school.

• Applause 1