Steven A

Blah, Blah Blah, Pac 12 Media Deal to be Announced "In the Near Future", But Not Friday/Media Day

WWW.ESPN.COM

The Pac-12 will not announce a new media rights deal Friday, a source told ESPN, but the conference's patience "is about to pay off" in the "near future."

On 7/18/2023 at 6:48 PM, Steven A said:

The Pac-12 will not announce a new media rights deal Friday, a source told ESPN

I know it's all about context and wording, but I do find it a bit humorous that this sentence implies that ESPN doesn't know anything about the Pac-10 media deal! 

Yeah this wasn't surprising to anyone who seems to be in the loop. 

The media deal is fascinating aspect of sports fandom these days. I mean honestly... Did anyone care about what happened a decade ago with these media deals? No. 

But now fans are clamoring to know what's in the pac-12 media deal. How much will it be? Does it come with expansion? And everything we have discussed to no end. 

But from a business standpoint... They are on their own time table, one not dictated by what the fans want. 

There will be a deal. We'll find out at some point before the current one expires. 

I know I say all of this knowing full well I have participated in countless conversations about this topic. More than anything else I just want to point out this strange obession we have right now with the back room dealings of something as mundane as determining what channel or service games will play on. 

This is something just so strange. 

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, David Marsh said:

Yeah this wasn't surprising to anyone who seems to be in the loop. 

The media deal is fascinating aspect of sports fandom these days. I mean honestly... Did anyone care about what happened a decade ago with these media deals? No. 

But now fans are clamoring to know what's in the pac-12 media deal. How much will it be? Does it come with expansion? And everything we have discussed to no end. 

But from a business standpoint... They are on their own time table, one not dictated by what the fans want. 

There will be a deal. We'll find out at some point before the current one expires. 

I know I say all of this knowing full well I have participated in countless conversations about this topic. More than anything else I just want to point out this strange obession we have right now with the back room dealings of something as mundane as determining what channel or service games will play on. 

This is something just so strange. 

It's a big deal because a conference/program's exposure is on the line.  Exposure is the lifeblood of a program.  It's the reason Oregon has thrived the past 2+ decades and was a boost to our program.

Edited by BYUTexan

On 7/19/2023 at 7:21 AM, BYUTexan said:

It's a big deal because a conference/program's exposure is on the line.  Exposure is the lifeblood of a program.  It's the reason Oregon has thrived the past 2+ decades and was a boost to our program.

Do you really think Oregon‘s national exposure is going to decline with the new contract?

Do you think any of us here are actually worried about that?  🙄

Go Troll somewhere else.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Not at all, Oregon will be fine regardless, because they'll have a good landing spot one way or another.  And I'm not trolling, just pointing out why a media deal is crucial to a conference and its programs.

On 7/19/2023 at 7:33 AM, BYUTexan said:

Not at all, Oregon will be fine regardless, because they'll have a good landing spot one way or another.  And I'm not trolling, just pointing out why a media deal is crucial to a conference and its programs.

Right.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The last rumor I heard (and I've already forgotten where!) is that the PAC deal will include both linear and streaming. Maybe kind of like the way NBC already has many shows on both NBC and Peacock?

• Thumbs Up 1

Please! Just wake me up when it’s over!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/19/2023 at 7:33 AM, BYUTexan said:

My thing is not that media deals aren't important, they are, but until this last cycle of media deals fans just didn't care about them. They were there but no one noticed. 

Now we are all obsessed with them. 

I think much of that has to do with the bursting media rights bubble.  Networks are cutting costs and now people realize that programs are at risk of decreased exposure which effects other things.

Edited by BYUTexan

Remember live sports is not losing money, it is other programming that is losing money.  The bucket for sport contracts isn't smaller.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, BYUTexan said:

I think much of that has to do with the bursting media rights bubble.  Networks are cutting costs and now people realize that programs are at risk of decreased exposure which effects other things.

You are enjoying this way-too-much for a team that has not even played in the Big-12 yet.

We have had this from fans like you for a year.  My patience is short...

giphy.gif

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/19/2023 at 10:53 AM, Annie said:

The last rumor I heard (and I've already forgotten where!) is that the PAC deal will include both linear and streaming. Maybe kind of like the way NBC already has many shows on both NBC and Peacock?

Great take, Annie. Streaming will be in the mix but I hope it is with Amazon, Apple, or UTube (now in the football game with Sunday NFL telecasts) and not Peacock with its crummy 20M subscriber base. Peacock would not be a significant improvement over Larry's Loser Network. And with NBC's Notre Dame and B1G media deals, you can bet that Pac-10 games on Peacock would be late, late Eastern time kick-offs. 

The LA schools were not clued into Peacock being the exclusive broadcaster for 8 B1G games this season. One home game in LA for both LA schools is expected to be streamed on Peacock. The UW at Michigan State game will be shown exclusively on Peacock, (thanks for burying the P10 exposure) and Peacock had the contractual power to move a Sparty home game from E. Lansing to Detroit. A power that MI St did not know existed. 

Pigs keep coming out of the media poke that Kevin Warren put together. The 1st season distribution for each member school was supposed to be $70M. This dropped to $65M and is now down to $64M. Had SC and UCLA stayed in the Pac, SC could have received at least $50M. $14M and making your non-revenue sports athletes Frequent Flyer mileage champs justify the jump to B1G country? I think USC President Folt analyzed the deal as well as she analyzed the move into the Central time zone and the hire of her disgraced AD.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if the P12 network continues production for all P12 games but is distributed under the ESPN+ streaming service? What if ESPN+ strikes a deal with Amazon or Apple for streaming distribution for win/ win arrangement with mutual cross promotion? What if all these complex arrangements are what is taking so long to iron out?

In the end the PAC may just have gotten its own network 10x the distribution that it previously had while also attaching themselves to much larger brands.I could also see an arrangement like this having a low dollar front end payout like the B12 but with a potential higher payout on the backend with viewership bonuses.

The perfect dream scenario may be just around the corner for OBD. Stay tuned….

• Let’s hope! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/19/2023 at 8:05 AM, David Marsh said:

My thing is not that media deals aren't important, they are, but until this last cycle of media deals fans just didn't care about them. They were there but no one noticed. 

Now we are all obsessed with them. 

Totally right. When game day comes along, I just want to know what channel to find the Ducks.

The reason folks are obsessed with them is three-fold.

• For a few years now we have been noticing (and stressing) about how much more the SEC schools were getting in media money each year in comparison to everyone else.
  •  
  • The B1G just got a new media deal and poached two PAC 12 teams with it.
  •  
  • We see the ACC stuck in a bad media deal and then strike another deal with someone else that will help out some. (The new deal, of course, came after everyone's obsession, but it still fuels the fire somewhat.)

The Ducks and top PAC schools will be on TV. Some streaming and some linear.

If you take it on face value, does anyone on this Forum think that the PAC has not stressed, in negotiations, that they need more exposure for their teams?????

Does anyone on this Forum think that the media entities bidding and the PAC are working to make it worse? GEEZ.......

Do you think that the media negotiators go back to their bosses and say lets do this so we can screw our new partners in the PAC?

They all are working together to make this the best business transaction for all involved.

Does anyone think our exposure will go fown because of streaming? It will increase substantially if the package is right.....

The streamers/linear media want you to subscribe and watch. Why so much angst?

Yes in the beginning we all will need to still pay to get ESPN and add the Tier 1 rights streamer subscription. Thats how they make money abd can broadcast the games.

I, as many on this Forum wish this would come to an end. And it will. There is no rush at this point because its better for the final deal be right.

No suprises like the BIG is getting or settling like the glorified G5 Big 12 did. They added 3 more years for no more money or even less as Jon Joseph pointed out.

Yesterday i was meeting with a longtime business friend and customer. His business does $40 million plus annually. He is a crazy Duck everything like Charles. He lives  remote and deep in the Southetn Oregon Cadcades. He drives 30 miles to the nearest restaurant/bar to get his Duck games. It took us 5 minutes to handle business and then 2 hours of Duck talk.

He said that the PAC has more value than the average fan understands. Besides the After Dark Game value cannot be replaced by anyone. Not even the MWC. The real value is that Fox alienated the 50 to 60 million fans west of the Rockies that dont give a squat about usc and ucla. Not to mention that Fox didnt care if they ripped the PAC apart. Those fans in that number want to see their teams play, not the traitors or support Fox. The real value is meeting the needs of those fans.

Something good could be coming soon.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/19/2023 at 3:14 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

He said that the PAC has more value than the average fan understands. Besides the After Dark Game value cannot be replaced by anyone. Not even the MWC. The real value is that Fox alienated the 50 to 60 million fans west of the Rockies that dont give a squat about usc and ucla. Not to mention that Fox didnt care if they ripped the PAC apart. Those fans in that number want to see their teams play, not the traitors or support Fox. The real value is meeting the needs of those fans.

Great point how even though we get annoyed about those pac-12 after dark games constantly and how the east coast doesn't watch them which hurts our national perception. 

But... Those games are still watched by a lot of people on the west coast. A 7pm start time is kinda nice for home viewing... I've had a whole day to do things and then end my day with the ducks. 

Also... My one year old goes to bed around 7 so that is free time and time I can pay full attention. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, David Marsh said:

Great point how even though we get annoyed about those pac-12 after dark games constantly and how the east coast doesn't watch them which hurts our national perception. 

But... Those games are still watched by a lot of people on the west coast. A 7pm start time is kinda nice for home viewing... I've had a whole day to do things and then end my day with the ducks. 

Also... My one year old goes to bed around 7 so that is free time and time I can pay full attention. 

This early bird hates night games. I will manage to stay up for a Duck night game, but I don't watch any other team's night games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well....if it gets announced decisions can be made by the programs that will understand their reality. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, cartm25 said:

What if it's not on an existing "channel" on your existing TV/Cable service you pay for?

I'll speak for myself in that I'm more obsessed this time around, because for the first time in 20+ years I've been religiously watching college football, the one team I love may not be where I've always been able to watch them. But, instead, may be on a separate application that requires a new monthly subscription fee. 

So if necessary, pay for 3 months. You know you will. As will I. 😉