Thomallister1291

The Death of the Pac-12?

Colorado and another mystery team are supposedly gonna leave for the Big 12.

I can't remember the last time a school changed conferences after a leak to the media.  I don't expect anything different now.

It is silly for any school to leave before they know what they are losing.  Big 12 is getting 31.7 million with 12 teams in 2024.  Do we expect their TV deals to increase 63.4 million by adding Colorado and other unnamed school?

How hilarious would it be if the schools left and the PAC had a bigger payout.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon or Washington could be joinng the Big 12 if not both

• Yikes! 1

I could easily see replacing CU with SDSU and remaining at 10.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 4:23 PM, curtisd316 said:

Oregon or Washington could be joinng the Big 12 if not both

So... All the travel of the B1G but half the paycheck. 

That sounds like a a big lose right there. Lol

• Thumbs Up 3

Makes no sense unless the PAC deal that GK is presenting is just a wish and a prayer. Maybe to far down the road for CU to risk.

Or just more BS...   

Even CU wants out then they should go. There contribution to the PAC has been what?

CU will go where Prime wants them to go. The Big 12 offers a foot print in Texas. The PAC may not see the value.

CU leaving wont end the PAC. 

On 7/26/2023 at 4:23 PM, curtisd316 said:

Oregon or Washington could be joining the Big 12 if not both

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm also sure Canzano is busy looking into this... So will wait and see. 

Ive seen some other tweets from the usual suspects that have been calling for the death of the PAC for the last year. I haven't seen any PAC people talking about this yet, so I'll wait and see. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wilner's got an article on O Live. Sounds legit. 

CU will not accept less than BYU if it was to move to the B12. The B12 deal begins in 2024 and runs for 6 years. What media entity in today's business climate is going to come with 31.7M x 6 = $190.2M for more B12 inventory when ESPN didn't come with the money to incent the SEC to play 9 regular season conference games? 

Unlike Keyser Soze, the usual suspects do not have the money.

image.gif.67df1338b444a99f3cc12a5ff4161464.gif

On 7/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

His article discussed the yin and yang of CU's relationship with the Pac and the B12. Wilner does not predict in any way, shape, or form that CU is ready to jump to the B12. Again, what media entity is going to fund such a move? It has already been disclosed by the B12 that in order to add UConn and Gonzaga existing B12 members would have to take a media haircut. 

I for one will be so happy when the new media deal is completed and all Pac-10 schools pledge their respective media rights to the new deal. The Pac-10 deal will likely not fall short of the B12 deal and if it does fall somewhat short it will not be enough of a difference for any Pac-10 team to join the B12 and again, who in the heck is going to pay for any such relocation. 

image.gif.febe5db7a9dc5d114c029dbdfbb5ca25.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I read it... It says they are having continued conversations. 

They could also have the potential PAC media deal numbers or trying to get them to discuss their options. 

Colorado is the farthest east PAC team with the most travel time. I can see them wanting to look at some options. 

Also apparently Sanders wants in the big-12. But to be blunt it would be sad if the whole school did what the football coach wanted, especially when that coach hasn't coached a season for them yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't I see this before.........

fizzer1k-5597.gif

• Haha 1

You know....I could trade Colorado and Arizona for SMU and SDST in a heartbeat.

SMU>Colorado in football.

SDST>Arizona in Basketball.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Frankly, like what some have said, now I'm beginning to wonder if GK is any better than Larry Scott. The fact that there's still no media deal and a lot of uncertainty regarding that, I understand why some schools are exploring other options.

If Colorado does leave, regardless of what they did or didn't contribute to the PAC, IMHO that would embolden other schools who were maybe just window shopping for another home to really move forward to close the deal. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Who knows what to believe. It's all smoke until its done. Although many sources are now reporting it. 

Just for discussion.

I suspect that if Colorado leaves it's not because they don't know the media deal.......they probably know or suspect and are not happy.

If they leave it makes the remaining deal worse. 

I continue to believe Oregon needs to cut a deal with the Big 10 or ACC and bring Cal, Stanford, Wash with them. Or St and Wa St should join the mountain west. Oregon is in a strong position to demand a deal from the Big 10. If the big 10 refuse a deal, the deal with the ACC might keep ND in the ACC and the combined conference would be a power house. Travel not that bad, 3 OOC at or near home, 3 against the sisters on the west coast and 3 road games in the east with a bye before or after most of those games. 

IMO San Diego brings little to a national media deal except more dilution. That could change in many years, but right now their attraction is limited.  

I realize George K and staff have great jobs and are fighting to retain them.....but.....they don't really have a TV attractive product to sell.  Wa St, Or St, Az St, Utah, Cal, Stanford either don't have a strong commitment to sports or are small markets. That leaves Oregon, Wash and Arizona to attract the eyeballs. Whether Arizona leaves or not......it's not enough to attract the kind of money to be competitive. IMO It's going to be Tuesday or Wednesday night football just to get a deal.

In the long run it will all work out. Oregon is going to be in a strong conference and be a power.    

From what I've seen I have no reason to trust GK any more than LS. Nothing personal, but with such weak PAC12 school leadership it wouldn't matter much who fills the commissioner role. The presidents will always choose a commissioner who they find non-threatening, this is what weak leaders do.

While I have little faith I'll reserve further judgement until the media package is released... or the whole thing collapses.

The fact that they are not reveling the media deal by now has me concerned.

I know you guys don't want to come to the XII and I get it. I just want to say that we'd love to have you and I think that IF (big if) Oregon and Washington came to the XII, then Florida State and Clemson would take a hard look at the XII when the ACC GOR expires. THAT conference would garner a media deal that would be competitive with the BIG and SEC. And at that point the conference would be rebranded (no longer the XII) and truthfully Oregon, Washington, Clemson, and Florida State wild be the flagship schools of the conference. I wouldn't mind Oklahoma State being in the second tier behind those four. Maybe a pipe dream...but a man can hope!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, i dont see that Oregon or any PAC school is in  a position to demand anything of the BIG or any other conference.

If the BIG/Fox had wanted Oregon or any other PAC school they would have made the invite last summer.

I could be wrong because i love our Ducks but we are in no position to dictate terms.

The PAC, including our Ducks were in the position to take control of their own destiny last summer. They could have taken 6 Big 12 schools of their choice and chose to publicly snub those schools 

Water under the bridge. ....

If CU leaves there is more to this than we see on the surface......

■ Maybe CU wants the PAC to

expand into Texas and has

found that no expansion is going

to happen.

■ Perhaps CU got upset when the

PAC talked to CSU about future

expansion. Egos can be bruised.

■ We dont know that in the last 6

days one or more pieces in the

media deal fell apart.

■ Maybe CU and its leadership is

under pressure from big time 

boosters/donors.

■ Just maybe everyone at the

table is in over their head.

■ Maybe this is just more click

bait baloney.

On the surface this appears very messy. However, it could all be going forward as planned.

Nothing, and i mean nothing will move forward until the new partner deal for ESPN is finalized. The new decision maker will want the final say...

Supposedly the deal between Disney and Comcast is nearing completion. Disney wants Comcasts interest in HULU. HULU is valued at $30 billion.

There is chatter that Comcast will take some of that in large interest of ESPN. Controlling interest is unclear.

The PAC and its media deal could be number 31 out of 50 items on the table of discussions.

The deal will happen. If CU or AU are still in the PAC, then good. If not, thats their choice.....

I can see a situation where Colorado would leave if dollars are dictated by success and investment. They haven’t been relevant since coming here, and $31.7 guaranteed is a heck of a lot better than a lesser amount based on their historical performance…🤣

On 7/26/2023 at 5:49 PM, anyotherduck said:

From what I've seen I have no reason to trust GK any more than LS.

That's fine.  However, I have nothing but distain for LS.  He left GK a mess, hopefully he'll make lemonade from the lemons left behind.

@HappyToBeADuck, good analysis. Very likely today is a sad day for those of us who love the PAC. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, WoadBlue said:

It seems to me that the pac is not long for this world. So Oregon and the rest have a basic choice: sit still and hope the BT invites, or act now to forge a deal with the ACC to create what would be juggernaut in both revenue sports and baseball, as well as other non-revenues, and easily would command the 3rd highest per team payouts. 

Oh, the agendas that our visitors from other conferences have....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

According to a few sites, Colorado is receiving approximately 15 million more by joining the big 12. 

Personally, I’m just tired and bored of watching media companies wag the dog.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Personally, I’m just tired and bored of watching media companies wag the dog.

AMEN, WW! But you monetize anything and the folks coming with the $ will end up in control.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oh, the agendas that our visitors from other conferences have....

But in some respects, I agree that in this crazy world of conference realignment expansion chairs, a 'merger' of some kind with the ACC might well be the way to go and to stiff-arm the B12 in the process.

At least from an Oregon POV, IMO, this could well be a better long-term alternative than adding G% teams.

George really blew it with his Media day speech. He should have been upfront with can't divulge anything today rather than cryptic on purpose crap.

Losing Colorado is no big deal and the Pac will survive, probably at 1o teams. Then after the new deal expires, who knows?

SDS is a much better fit for the Pac anyway.

What is the better play?

Big 12? hope the Big Ten has a spot? 

Dominate the Pac-9/12?

On 7/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, pastatot said:

What is the better play?

Big 12? hope the Big Ten has a spot? 

Dominate the Pac-9/12?

Depends on what each team wants, needs, and what kind of expenses they are willing to take on.