FishDuck Article

Ducks Disrupt in Lubbock: Penalties and Interceptions

That game was… strange. Oregon looked fantastic in the first quarter, going up 15-7 after stalling out on their first drive. Then they didn’t really do anything of note in the second quarter until they put up a field goal with less than one minute remaining following a fumble by Tyler Shough. That’s when the game changed. Texas Tech tried to ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon beat Texas Tech on Saturday night, but did the victory raise more concerns than it solved?
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent article and analysis.  I have yet to see ANY evidence that our DC knows how to call a defense. The ONLY reason I can come up with that Oregon hired Lupoi is so he wouldn't be recruiting against us as recruiting is his main prowess.  Unfortunately, I believe that only losses will change our current equation.

This is a difficult game to wrap your head around. It's going to be interesting to see how folks try to make sense of it all in the coming days. That's going to be a huge challenge. 

My initial response is beyond X's and O's, game plan,  game management and play calling. Lubbock is a tough environment and Tech played hard. But Oregon came out unfocused and lost the mental game.

Right out of the gate, penalty for equipment violation. Conerly with 3 false starts. 3 PI's, not hustling off the field and getting caught. Formation penalties, late hit. 14 penalties for 124 yards... wow!

Thats on Coach. Thats lands squarely on Lanning. We will call out Stein and Lupoi. They hold some responsibility as part of the staff but Its hard to execute when mental preparation and focus is nonexistent.

Hats off to TT and their fan base. They played determined and angry. But Lanning has to get this team better prepaired in the mental focus department.

I found it interesting that Burch had zero tackles and Dorlus had one. Those are supposed to be the DUDES up front defensively. Ducks got man handled often in the trenches. Burch and Dorlus have got to be better than that.

As bad as the D played at times. As much as they extended TT drives with bad penalties. The D came up with some huge plays. 4 sacks, 3 int and 2 forced fumbles. One being a strip sack and one a pick 6 to seal the victory.

The O line has some work to do. Ducks bread and butter is the run game. O line struggled to open running lanes. I saw a couple cut back lanes but the backs failed to see them. TT had something to do with that and game planned taking Ducks rush attack away. 

On the bright side this was one of those games that sharpen teams. Develops grit. Shows teams what they are made of. Adversities can be a huge asset. Also will show us what kind of coach we have beyond X's and O's.

Many said Tech could be a dark horse to win the Big12. They have some really good players. To go into a hostile environment and win ugly on the road is a huge accomplishment. From what I understand, it's especially difficult to do in Lubbock Texas.

First things first. Get your head right Ducks. The performance mentally was atrocious. Thats on you Lanning, so fix it. Two 0's on the field for opening the game... sheesh. Went down hill from there. C'mon coach!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Coach Charles and Coach Boles. Please help out a guy who isn't in your league when it comes to Xs and Os.

Is this D too difficult to be played by mere mortals? Want to watch Georgia players play D, tune into the NFL today. I think the entire Philadelphia D prepped in Athens. 

And even with a plethora of future pros on the field, The UGA D gave up a lot of points to Lincoln Riley and OK in the Rose Bowl. Allowed a Bama receiver to get deep for Tua's champ game walk-off winning throw. Had the game in hand but surrendered a lot of points to LSU in the 2022 SEC champ game.  Was lit up by Ohio State last season and was fortunate that a key Ohio State WR went down.

In my less than expert opinion it seems to me that there is a serious lack of communication in the Oregon back 7. I am confused about the role the DL is supposed to play. Aggressive? Passive? Passive-Agressive? 

The inability to slow down a Beavers O that could not pass the ball last season still rankles. 

Oregon's roster thanks to the recruiting and astute portal picking by DL and staff is getting there roster-wise but isn't close to the talent that UGA fields. 

Would Oregon be better off with a KISS philosophy on D? One that allows the players to be more instinctual and less concerned about being in the proper spot?

Great gutty win last night but it is not that often that you are going to be +4 in TOs (tortillas?) on the road against a quality opponent. 

I am very happy with the win and DL's 14-3 record to date but it seems to me, again I am no expert, that something is missing; that the physical talents of the players on D are not being allowed to show up on the field.

Thankfully, Oregon has an Aloha week to improve before the Deion and Son air aerial circus comes to town. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the article Ryan. You are correct that this was a strange game as it played out........

Having had the opportunity to do a little coaching, during the Jurassic period, I learned the importance of focusing on the good and positive performamces of the players. Praise and encouragement of a player is critical to earning their trust. You can teach (coach) someone who trusts you.

Players practice and put so much time, energy and emotion into getting "it right and executing on the field" at the highest level. Individual notice and praise are still important in a team game.

The praise and atta boys were most likely doled out in the visitors locker room and on the plane ride home. However, today, tomorrow and the rest of this week, as these young men physically and mentally recover from a hard fought road WIN, the things that need cleaning up will be worked on.

There was a lot that went well in this game. After TT scored, the crowd grew even more hostile and the Ducks responded (on both sides of the ball) and went up 15-7. They responded as we all hoped they would. They captured "Mo".

2nd quarter was a hard fought draw as the home team refused to let the Ducks build on that "Mo". Some of the Duck players lost focus and aided TT with penalties and missed assignments.

During halftime, i got a chance to read some of the negative comments on this game thread and other boards. The fan passion and frustration was flowing as quickly as the liquid spirits were swallowed. It's such a great part of these games.

But OBDF members, at halftime, were you really worried about the outcome of this game? TT was not dominant or remotely in control. There only positive was TS rushing yardage. Remind yourself (aside from a couple of designed calls) that he had to run because his receivers were covered. That's a Duck player positive! With 7 or 8 Duck defenders 10-15 yards down field, TS had running room. It's all the Duck D gave TT.

Coming out of halftime, TT made adjustments and seized control of "Mo".  By the end of the 3rd quarter the message boards were calling for DL and the DC to be fired. What a strange way to view a game......

TT defends their turf very well and most visiting teams would have folded. Not our Ducks!

As I rewatched the game, going into the 4th Quarter, the Ducks just needed to focus and execute the game plan. They needed a few leaders to emerge on both sides of the ball.

Bo emerged as the O leader. Not sure what plays Stein was calling but TT was still focused on shutting down the powerful Duck running game. I cannot criticize those 4th quarter swing passes because thats what TT was giving Bo. So he took it!

That play was there all game. It worked in the 4th quarter because Bo did 2 things....he stopped throwing off his back foot and stopped throwing high speed bullets. He put some touch on the ball. It worked....

On the D side Dorlus and Bassa were the obvious leaders in the 4th quarter. However, the D unit stepped up when the game was on the line.

It is so easy, as a fan, to be disappointed by our teams performance. Both players and coaches have stuff to work on and clean up. I am confident they will..

Last week, on this forum, other boards, writers, bloggers and pundits were complaining that the Ducks had no sacks, no turnovers, not enough TFL's and no dominance.

When the Duck D left the field at games end they had 4 sacks, 4 turnovers, a game defining pick six and a game ending interception. And they did not and i mean did not let TT execute their game plan.

What more should we demand from this victory?

When TT puts up 45 points plus on big 12 opponents this season we will see how solid the scheme was and how disruptive our D was.

Well done Ducks. That was truly a hard fought, gutsy road win. KUDOS!

Keep working hard, heal up and get started cleaning up the loose ends.

As for DL and this staff's coaching decisions. Well they are 12-3 and just getting started. I cant rally around firing someone because the other team scores a TD. GEEZ....  

We have some high powered offenses coming our way and 2 teams with exceptional defenses. We cant judge the out comes of future games based on the TT game plan. Those game plans will be based upon game films.

Giving other teams free 1st downs, 140 yards of free yardage and scores must be cleaned up. The roller coaster ride is going to be something......

GO DUCKS......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

How about this, sports fans? SEC vs. P5 OOC 3-6 (and the AZ/Cal games could have easily gone the other way.)

Pac-12 vs. P5 OOC is 6-3. 

The SEC better not be getting its usual playoff rankings bump in 2023. And the QB play in the Pac-12? Off the charts.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Don't remember the exact numbers but going for it near the 25 on 4th down when you could take the lead with a field goal and have 10 minutes left on the road in a dog fight......

Lanning needs to stop making these stupid choices if he wants to be top notch. Hopefully he'll learn to think with his head and not his heart. 

Some of the mental errors are understandable considering they were on their first road game against a tough team with a lot of new starters some of which. were transfers. 

However, This team looked poorly coached. Penalty after penalty disrupting drives. Sideline warnings. Dumb actions on defense. 

Nix played well. 

They did execute some great individual plays. Thankfully, Tyler S is a turnover machine.....some forced. Some not.  

One big positive......this is the type of game previous Duck coaches would have lost. 

I liked the energy in the first quarter in the heat and that may have contributed to some of the mental errors later on. It's hard to simulate heat radiating off that surface with that wild crowd in practice. 

Texas Tech.....even losing to Wyoming is a quality team. 

Overall.....a win is a win. Move on.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/10/2023 at 4:20 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lubbock is a tough environment and Tech played hard. But Oregon came out unfocused.

Conerly with 3 false starts.

Hats off to TT and their fan base. They played determined and angry.

As bad as the D played at times. As much as they extended TT drives with bad penalties. The D came up with some huge plays. 4 sacks, 3 int and 2 forced fumbles. One being a strip sack and one a pick 6 to seal the victory.

The O line has some work to do. Ducks bread and butter is the run game. O line struggled to open running lanes. 

I condensed down what LogH noted and feel they are great points to make. There are plenty of things that need to be corrected. TT played a pretty good game on both sides of the ball and Oregon's mishaps were equally on offense and defense.

I'm hesitant to single out Lupoi for criticism. I saw more good D alignments than bad ones and aside from a resurgence of some tackling issues and LBs being out of position on at least two of Shough's scampers, the defense held it's own and arguably won the game.

No one is calling out ATerry for the sloppy stuff on the O-line, but it's not surprising that this game exposed some growing pains for that group. Hostile environment, heat, mental errors, receivers with a bit of a case of the dropsies. All reasons why the offense underperformed. 

I'll bet a lot gets corrected in practice this week.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I just re watched the game and since I knew the outcome it wasn't as nail biting as the first time. All in all the Ducks made the plays on both sides of the ball they needed to make. Made for a great TV game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here is a great example of how inconsistent the play was last night. This is back to back coments I made in live game feed. Looks like it was early in the 2nd Q maybe. Too funny not to share this bi polar moment. Both coming 1 min apart

Screenshot_20230910_084014_DuckDuckGo.jpg.99cb14716324fea5bd760bb10027d232.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

First off I have to say that I was unable to actually watch the game because my streaming service doesn't to include Fox.  But I did follow the game as best I could thru the game-cast of ESPN and the game thread Charles set up here on the board. (Thanks guys!).  But hearing (and seeing thru YouTube all the replays) the struggles on Defense are, sadly, not a surprise for me.  Not completely.  

Everyone on this board knows I'm not a fan of our D.C. and in fact, was just a couple days ago voicing my opinion that should the Duck defense improve and become a strength, Tosh Lupoi would deserve the lion's share of the credit because Dan Lanning simply doesn't have the time to design, coach and manage the Defense while performing all the other duties of Head Coach.  Dan's plate is full.  Well, this street runs both ways.  

If the defense does not improve and add strength to the Ducks as a unit, Tosh Lupoi, likewise, also deserves the lion's share of the blame.  This is his job and it's what the University is paying him a rather large sum of money to do. Coach Lanning may have to face up to this situation and make one of his hardest decisions since taking the reins at Oregon.  Does he give Lupoi more time to get things moving in the right direction?  Or does he look elsewhere for a better defensive mind to implement a stronger, more flexible and resilient defensive unit?  

On 9/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I just re watched the game and since I knew the outcome it wasn't as nail biting as the first time. All in all the Ducks made the plays on both sides of the ball they needed to make. Made for a great TV game.

And also made for many Pepto Bismal and Stoli cocktails!

• Haha 1

Looking at the tentative body language, faces, the eyes, of our players (including Nix) during that opening quarter seemed to say one thing: we’re not ready for this. Teams follow the lead of their head coach, and Lanning’s first real challenge of his 2nd year would suggest he’s still got a lot to learn in how to prepare himself emotionally and mentally so he can do the same for his team. It’s a learning curve. Doesn’t happen over night.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Applause 1

Did Burch play last night? I noticed he didn’t record a stat. I also had multiple games going with no sound so I didn’t have my full attention on the Ducks game.

Very tough game to fully process. First, I'd have to give Tech props. They may end up a 9-3 top 25 team  when it's all said and done that simply botched their first game of the year. The Ducks may have just won a brawl on the road against a very motivated quality team with players that can make plays. When looking at UO's negatives, I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Next, I'd have to say that was one of the worst coached games of the Lanning era except for the OSU meltdown. Two 0s on the field for the opening kick off? 14 penalties for well over 100 yards? The return of the Mario offense? That is all on the coaching and that needs to improve immediately.

On the plus side, taking back momentum in the 4th quarter, winning it 20-3. In a tough road environment, with the home team having all the second half momentum, the Ducks absolutely owned the fourth quarter and won going away. If there is a half full glass in this case, I'd say it's the resilience the team displayed. in the end that is the ultimate positive.

Hopefully the Ducks learned enough to get better quickly. Today, there are 8 Pac teams in ESPN's top 25 and the Ducks play 6 out of the other 7.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:35 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

On the plus side, taking back momentum in the 4th quarter, winning it 20-3. In a tough road environment, with the home team having all the second half momentum, the Ducks absolutely owned the fourth quarter and won going away. If there is a half full glass in this case, I'd say it;s the resilience the team displayed. in the end that is the ultimate positive.

Hopefully the Ducks learned enough to get better quickly. Today, there are 8 Pac teams in ESPN's top 25 and the Ducks play 6 out of the other 7.

That's the most positive outlook on last night's squeaker that I've read so far and it's nice to have a bit of that to counter the bulk of what I've read.  Too bad, too, that the Pac12, just as it is coming into shape as perhaps the most balanced and talented conference is about to throw all that away.  The rest of the country has to be sighing a breath of relief that the Pac is being broken up like it is.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:52 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Having had the opportunity to do a little coaching, during the Jurassic period, I learned the importance of focusing on the good and positive performamces of the players. Praise and encouragement of a player is critical to earning their trust. You can teach (coach) someone who trusts you.

I was struck by this part of your analysis. I do think Lanning and the rest of the coaches focus on trust and the players like them and each other. This is important and a worthy goal.

What seems to be lacking is the respect, discipline for the coaches. There is a difference and this is an important component to a successful team.

Penalties are the biggest indicator that respect is lacking. Without the admiration of a coach and not wanting to let them down you make stupid mistakes. Respect is earned, but it is also demanded, and that may not be happening enough with the coaches.

There was some great analysis of the Georgia program and the derecruiting of the players. Once a player hit campus players had to earn the respect of the coaches. 

The way the players were playing it seems this may not have happened to the extent needed to reach the heights many have projected. If the team of players is going to become what they can become the trust has to grow into strong respect for the coaches and the other players. 

The true edge is when each players has earned the respect of each other and the coaches. I look forward to that metric happening soon, because I didn't notice it enough Saturday.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

I was struck by this part of your analysis. I do think Lanning and the rest of the coaches focus on trust and the players like them and each other. This is important and a worthy goal.

What seems to be lacking is the respect, discipline for the coaches. There is a difference and this is an important component to a successful team.

Penalties are the biggest indicator that respect is lacking. Without the admiration of a coach and not wanting to let them down you make stupid mistakes. Respect is earned, but it is also demanded, and that may not be happening enough with the coaches.

There was some great analysis of the Georgia program and the derecruiting of the players. Once a player hit campus players had to earn the respect of the coaches. 

The way the players were playing it seems this may not have happened to the extent needed to reach the heights many have projected. If the team of players is going to become what they can become the trust has to grow into strong respect for the coaches and the other players. 

The true edge is when each players has earned the respect of each other and the coaches. I look forward to that metric happening soon, because I didn't notice it enough Saturday.

On the flip side. When things get tough. When your backs against the wall and you are facing adversity. It's easy to lash out at the guy next to you.

That didn't happen. The players remained calm and just focused on what is imediatly in front of them.

Bad play happens for whatever reason. I don't think lack of respect was one of the reasons. These players and coaches hung together under duress. Thats respect. Trust grew under these conditions.

Ducks weren't tested last week. Pretty easy win could have resulted in their lack of focus. They got humbled this week and still got the W.

What a great opportunity to coach each other up. I think the Ducks learn from this and fix it. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

20-3 in the last quarter on the road is a pretty good indication of in game improvement. Im going to focus on that.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

20-3 in the last quarter on the road is a pretty good indication of in game improvement. Im going to focus on that.

What's the old adage: A Win is a Win, or something like that?  

It certainly beats a loss but sometimes a loss can teach you more than a win like this.  However, I think you have an excellent point about the last quarter scoreing.  Too bad it's Hawaii we face next week because it will be hard for the team to tell how much, if any, real improvement there is.  Another lop-sided win is almost the last thing Oregon needs right now though our hearts will appreciate the reduced stress.

Interesting note: Hawaii has beaten Oregon the last 3 times they've met, or so a friend of mine is telling me.  But it's been 30 years almost since, and things have definitely changed since then.  GO OREGON!

On 9/10/2023 at 7:11 AM, Log Haulin said:

On the flip side. When things get tough. When your backs against the wall and you are facing adversity. It's easy to lash out at the guy next to you.

Not talking about lashing out when things are tough.

It would be good to see a player in the face of a teammate telling him that isn't acceptable when a bonehead play happens. Maybe even a slap on the butt, and your better than that. Set the expectation each player executes and shows discipline.

Football isn't just a bunch of kumbaya moments.

I get it Lanning goes over game film, scores the play of each player and works with each student athlete. I just want to see an elevated intensity of execution needed to be dominant on the road.

I think it is the next level of trust one has throughout a game. You trust everyone is going to give it there all, and the respect one has is built, not fixed.

It is definitely tough to define and pick out one thing which needs to grow or be fixed. This is just one little observation, and, admittedly, some simple conclusions I have drawn.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure I'm not to first here to say this but from 2 penalties to 14 in one game?  If anything, Oregon has got to clean that up, but against Hawaii don't expect that to be an indicator of what to expect when Colorado comes to Autzen.  Please clean this up Oregon.

IMHO, a great deal of growth took place by the Ducks in the 4th quarter, on both sides of the ball.

As others pointed out....20-3 score, against a P-5 team, on the road in a hostile environment, speaks volumes to me.

Either Crepea or Oram posted in an article that since 2000, TT has only lost 2 OOC games at home out of 50 games. Of course I dont know the level of competition but thats impressive. Ask Texas and Oklahoma how easy it is to win in Lubbock....

The coaches and players trusted Bo to get the job done in the 4th quarter. He used his check downs to the running backs on those swing passes. TT could not stop those passes.

Much has been posted about TT shutting down the Ducks rushing attack. Keep in mind that the 3 Duck running backs caught 15 passes for 124 yards. Those are just long handoffs.....Whether those were by design or Bo taking what TT offered, i dont know.

I trusted Bo would get it done and he did.....

That 4th quarter domination by the Duck D was something we havent seen since 2019. That unit trusted the coaching scheme and executed.

Obviously there is much to work on and improve each week. Without that work, effort and improvement an 8-4 season is possible.

As a fan my only expectation is a win. This team had some miserable stretches in the TT game  However, the Ducks played all 60 minutes to get this hard fought victory.

That speaks volumes for this Duck fan...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

3 in a row?

1988:  Hawaii 41-17 in Honolulu - fifth straight loss to end the season

1992:  Hawaii 24-31 in Autzen - that season ended in Shreveport

1994:  Hawaii 36-16 in Honolulu - that season ended in Pasadena

On 9/10/2023 at 11:38 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IEither Crepea or Oram posted in an article that since 2000, TT has only lost 2 OOC games at home out of 50 games. Of course I dont know the level of competition but thats impressive. Ask Texas and Oklahoma how easy it is to win in Lubbock....

I checked back to 2000 (and had a cursory glance back to 1993).  The following information came from Sports-Reference.com. 

TT beat no "prime" teams in that period.  They won two OOC games of any consequence.  One was AZ St (big deal, eh?) and SMU when the Ponies were ranked #24.  That's it.  The rest of the wins came from the SWC type conferences.  They did appear in a gaggle of bowl games where they beat Miss. St. a couple of times.  Assuming I missed nothing, I was NOT impressed by their OOC scheduling or winnings.

I didn't read Crepea or Oram, but they didn't look all that closely if they were impressed.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thanks 1

Wow! What a win.

This was really our "first" game. PSU was such a runaway, and they substituted as much as we did, this game against a more stout O-line, and much improved defensive front, was a better test of our teams fortitude. 

I thought we would win going away, (my prediction was 41-17) but JonJ had it right, Texas Tech plays well at home.

So, what are we left with?

The Ducks are good team.

We want them to go from good to great!

We have several things to clean up, but we have many things to be happy about.

The reason TS had so many rushing yards is because receivers were covered and he had to pull the ball and run it.

124 yds of penalty should have been enough to lose, but 4 (FOUR) TO's made it even.

Clean up penalties, and we do do much better, score more points. 

Coaches learn from their decisions, the team moves on.

Next team up to be concerned with, Colorado. 

I do NOT want to lose to neon Dion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Friend, Mike West. Thank goodness Jeff Bassa did not take a knee or it would have been a Week 2 shutout for me!

Your opinions are golden but to 4 TOs I am beholden.

Puddles escaped Texas bruised but intact. Is there any reason to go to Oklahoma and Lone Star back?

I'd rather have a G5 home game snack

• Haha 1

Man,

What a set of excellence comments!!!  I had to calm myself down last night, hence the humor of watching Jim Mora and Dennis Green meltdown.  I felt like that because I expected an elite performance.

I did come to the conclusion DL is on a learning curve.  Not with just the players, but also the coaches.  There are so many details and nuances involved in managing a game, and I believe DL is struggling a bit there.

It takes knowing exactly what you want, then effectively expressing that not only in the moment, but the heat of the moment to both staff and players.  I think DL will get there, but I think he hasn't figured out how to change momentum quickly.  He did get the win though, which is telling.

If Stein isn't giving Nix some autonomy, that is a huge mistake.  Nix knows the system, his boys, and he does an excellent job of reading defense and defensive strategies. 

I thought it took way too long to involve Nix in the run game.  By mid third quarter, I was wondering why we stuck with pistol formations exclusively- TTU was all over the plays from that formation.

I was impressed that Stein did adjust late in the third, put his thinking cap on, and designed a drive that segued out of his game plan.  Nix looked serious all game.  He played well for what looked like a guy that didn't feel relaxed.

I'm not sure why the players came out so disoriented.  I wish I had time to review the film. Might explain some of the roller coaster ride we experienced.  

Overall, I think the defense is trying to do too much, and the offense is too simple ( if you've got 247 plays in your playbook, use more than 30 please- analysts pour all over film- and I'm talking former head coach and coordinator talent- make them work their rear-ends off trying to figure out what type of play caller you are).  

Last night proved how many moving parts there are to putting together an elite team.  Elite players are only part of it.  After all, Coach Willingham has an B+ level of talent taking it to A+ talent all the time.  I think Lanning gets there, but he is still learning how to be the chief executive (not just upper management).  

Lastly, if there ever was a fan base to listen to, this forum is it.  Far more analysis than just an outpour of emotion.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is my first post ever in FishDuck but I have appreciated all the insight and input that I have read over the last few years.  I grew up in Eugene, Duck alum and am a long time Duck fan (first game attended in 1969).

I get way to emotionally involved with my Duck football.  But here is some perspective that has helped me this weekend.  I felt exactly like I do now after the WSU game last year.  I was relieved but also thought that this really isn't a great Duck team.  The great teams are going to kill us.   But then each game they got better and beat teams pretty good till the UW and OSU games.  Last years team was very close to being in the CFP as most of us feel outside of an injury to Bo and some questionable coaching decisions in those games. I didn't believe that after the WSU game.  

Away games are tough as football is so much emotion and momentum that can really feed the home team.  I am believing they will keep improving and learning as they did last year and have another shot at being a great team.  For me, that is all I ask each year.  After suffering through so many years where that wasn't even a dream, I can live with that.  I think Bo is a leader and winner and we will see that come to fruition this year.   We have a crap load of tough games this year but we are going to be a tough out.  There were glimpses of greatness on both sides of the ball.  Clean it up a bit and lets see what happens.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 9/10/2023 at 9:41 PM, Ben H said:

This is my first post ever in FishDuck but I have appreciated all the insight and input that I have read over the last few years.  I grew up in Eugene, Duck alum and am a long time Duck fan (first game attended in 1969).

I get way to emotionally involved with my Duck football.  But here is some perspective that has helped me this weekend.  I felt exactly like I do now after the WSU game last year.  I was relieved but also thought that this really isn't a great Duck team.  The great teams are going to kill us.   But then each game they got better and beat teams pretty good till the UW and OSU games.  Last years team was very close to being in the CFP as most of us feel outside of an injury to Bo and some questionable coaching decisions in those games. I didn't believe that after the WSU game.  

Away games are tough as football is so much emotion and momentum that can really feed the home team.  I am believing they will keep improving and learning as they did last year and have another shot at being a great team.  For me, that is all I ask each year.  After suffering through so many years where that wasn't even a dream, I can live with that.  I think Bo is a leader and winner and we will see that come to fruition this year.   We have a crap load of tough games this year but we are going to be a tough out.  There were glimpses of greatness on both sides of the ball.  Clean it up a bit and lets see what happens.

6 out of the next 10 games will be played against Week 2 Top 25 ranked teams. I love your post and thanks for coming on board but I do not see Oregon 'being killed' in any future games. 

I see a bunch of hotly contested games against quality teams. 

Texas Tech was the Ducks first 2023 game vs. the Varsity. PSU was fun but it was a mega-cupcake game. I think that Oregon with superb experience and leadership at the critical QB position will continue to improve and the Aloha break gives the team a great shot to get its Sierra together. TT was the true 1st game of the season for Oregon. Oregon ended TT's 23-first opening-game win streak.

I think that Utah and UW on the road will not be more difficult than playing in Lubbock in brutal heat.

Concerns? Of course. But it's CFB and no school or program, right Bama, is bulletproof. 

FWIW, I'm upping my prediction from 10-2 to 11-1 with a lot of 'hairy' games on the way.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 3
  • Like 1

Interesting point about the Penalties was when Lanning mentioned that the TT Defensive calls were similar to the Ducks Offensive calls.  That might account for a lot of the O-Line problems. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:06 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

Interesting point about the Penalties was when Lanning mentioned that the TT Defensive calls were similar to the Ducks Offensive calls.  That might account for a lot of the O-Line problems. 

That was my read after hearing DL talk post game. Conerly jumped 3 times and JPJ whiffed on one snap. Intentional on TT's part to disrupt the timing of the snap count. About as hostile an environment as the O-line will face so it will prepare them for what's to come at UW and Utah.

It felt the same after the Wazzu game last year to me. We all saw what that team turned into before the UW and OSU debacles with a wounded Bo. I think this team has more talent and just needs to draw lessons from this game to correct what didn't go well. I'm optimistic that will happen.

The Biggest Surprises in College Football After Week 2 

Oregon Defense Plays Huge Part in Ducks Success

Yes, Oregon put up 81 points in its Week 1 win over Portland State, but it also held the Vikings to just seven points and 200 total yards, including just 52 in the air. The opposition averaged just 2.6 yards per pass.

In Week 2, Oregon went on the road to face a Texas Tech team that lost Week 1 to Wyoming. The Ducks entered as slight 4.5-point favorites and led 18-13 at halftime, but their defense stepped up in a big way in the second half.

Oregon's secondary picked off Texas Tech quarterback Tyler Shough three times in the final two quarters.

The most electric play of the night came in the final minute, when Ducks linebacker Jeffrey Bassa picked off Shough and returned it 45 yards to the house to give Oregon a 38-30 lead:

Shough threw yet another interception on the Red Raiders' final possession of the game to put it on ice.

Oregon looks to be a contender inside the Pac-12 this season, and its defense will be a major reason why it wins some close contests.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The first two weeks of the 2023 college football season are behind us. Although it's still early in the season, we've seen plenty of surprises through the…

On 9/11/2023 at 1:06 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

I hope DL called this out to the Pac-12 refs doing the game; the D mimicking snap calls is supposed to be a penalty. I thought DL's comment here was a bit lame. 

On 9/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I hope DL called this out to the Pac-12 refs doing the game; the D mimicking snap calls is supposed to be a penalty. I thought DL's comment here was a bit lame. 

Well, he does have to be careful what he says publicly because it can result in a fine.  He can formally file a complaint with the P12 office which I am guessing he will do.  Thinking Merton Hanks gets a Fed Ex letter from Dan!😉

On 9/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, NJDuck said:

The Biggest Surprises in College Football After Week 2 

Oregon Defense Plays Huge Part in Ducks Success

Yes, Oregon put up 81 points in its Week 1 win over Portland State, but it also held the Vikings to just seven points and 200 total yards, including just 52 in the air. The opposition averaged just 2.6 yards per pass.

In Week 2, Oregon went on the road to face a Texas Tech team that lost Week 1 to Wyoming. The Ducks entered as slight 4.5-point favorites and led 18-13 at halftime, but their defense stepped up in a big way in the second half.

Oregon's secondary picked off Texas Tech quarterback Tyler Shough three times in the final two quarters.

The most electric play of the night came in the final minute, when Ducks linebacker Jeffrey Bassa picked off Shough and returned it 45 yards to the house to give Oregon a 38-30 lead:

Shough threw yet another interception on the Red Raiders' final possession of the game to put it on ice.

Oregon looks to be a contender inside the Pac-12 this season, and its defense will be a major reason why it wins some close contests.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The first two weeks of the 2023 college football season are behind us. Although it's still early in the season, we've seen plenty of surprises through the…

The Game is Afoot! Who knew that Professor Moriarty was a CFB fan and journalist? 

I guess the good Professor does not stay up late. He missed the Arizona and Cal scores.

On 9/11/2023 at 2:46 PM, Augduck said:

Well, he does have to be careful what he says publicly because it can result in a fine.  He can formally file a complaint with the P12 office which I am guessing he will do.  Thinking Merton Hanks gets a Fed Ex letter from Dan!😉

I think that the Beavers and Cougars have filed a restraining order ORWA state court against any Pac-12 teams other than the Pac-2, being able to file a complaint with HQ. 

Merton Hanks? SC will enjoy its first bye of the season in Week 3 so it will be prepared to have the week off before the conference champ game.