FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 5 Keys to Beating Colorado

Our Oregon Ducks put their web-footed stamp on week three in a huge way by absolutely dominating Hawaii in Autzen. Now, they turn the corner to “America’s Team,” and we’re not talking about the Dallas Cowboys. Colorado football has emerged as the fan favorite for a 30 for 30 with the all-time great NFL superstar Deion Sanders leading the way. While the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks put their web-footed stamp on week three in a huge way by absolutely dominating Hawaii in Autzen. Now, they turn the...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Penalties played a big roll in why Tech was even in the game 2 weeks ago. 124 yrds surrendered would usually result in a loss. Late game heroics saved Ducks bacon.

Last week was a little better but still a major concern.gotta get that under control and soon. I can't say Buffs are a better team than Tech, I don't think they are at this point, but if you spot CU 124 yards they can beat you.

One thing I see in Oregon that we haven't really seen... ever! It is their ability to come at you in waves. the depth of Oregon is a huge advantage, especially as the season progresses.

I don't think any team in the Pac-12 can match Oregon when it comes to highly talented depth. Those fresh bodies will be a dagger for so many in this conference. It runs through several position groups and thats a big problem for Pac-12 opposition. 

Colorado has a couple excellent skill position players that can work some magic. But as argued here on OBDF a million times, football games are won in the trenches. Colorado just doesn't compete with Oregon in talent at the line of scrimmage. 

There is a reason Vegas has this at -20. I don't know much about sports betting but those that set these numbers get it right most of the time.

That said, TCU happened so Ducks better come to play.  Buffs can/will hurt you if you don't. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The Ducks will be fine. Just play their game and use their physical advantages. Should be over by the third quarter. Watch the turnovers. 

Neither TCU or Nebraska was able to put much fear into Sanders. Oregon should be able to get to him regularly......and the running game should be there for Oregon. 

• Let’s hope! 1

I expect the Ducks to make this a statement game and begin the end of the Prime Lovefest.

The Ducks will suffocate CU and the game will be over by half.  Only this game will see Bo until the 4th quarter to make sure there isn't a back-door cover against the 2's and 3's.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The wheels on the Prime Love Train begin to come flying off the rails this Saturday in Eugene, as reality comes calling... fast & furious. 

Followed by USC @ CU the next week. At the end of week 7, the Buffs will, however, be 5-2, just before the rest of reality, aka, the rest of the PAC 12 power, sends them down into a 7-5 or 6-6 regular season, and then onto a bowl game.

Which, considering they were 1-11 last year, will still be an impressive turnaround season. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great observation about the mobile Sanders kid being a test for the Oregon Defense. If Oregon can contain and pressure Shedur this will be very good practice going forward against other mobile accurate qb's.

While the Colorado team isn't as competitive as some of the teams we will play going forward, this will be a very good test. Can Tosh and Dan put together a game plan to stifle the Colorado offense? 

We may be seeing the start of what we want to see on the defensive side of the ball. Pressure and containment along with a little chaos would be nice to see on Saturday!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There has been little "talk" coming out of Boulder this week. More like a lovefest. 

For all his tough talk, coach Sanders ain't nobody's fool. He recognizes that though CU is improved over last year, Oregon just has "better guys", to quote one winning SEC coach.

If Oregon continues to play up to their standard and not get drawn in to chippy play or retaliation, this should be a strong win.

Alex, all your points were right on.

Ducks need to dominate the line of scrimmage, both ways.

It's time for the big boys to show they are the real "prime" beef.

As a celebratory meal, we should all be devouring prime rib in one form or another! 😉

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

You know...I believe the vibe of this team is different.  Last year--being efficient on offense and running ball control was key, and it worked.

But this year?  I think the rapid style of scoring might be the new image of the team?  Where we score 45 points a game, and put the pressure on the other team and thus create turnovers from them.  Because we will probably be doing our scoring through the air--our TOP will be low.

So...like the CK days--get a quick lead and force the other team into a passing game for catch-up.  Then we blitz, get picks and let it snowball...

We have not played that way in a decade, but the talent on this team for scoring and on defense may fit?

Brandon Dorlus Poster_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Great points all. There is little doubt that Oregon has better dudes on the lines but really shines when it comes to depth. Popo, Casey, Burch and Dorlus will simply wear the Buffs down and it will become apparent by the 'middle eight'. It may not be over at the end of the 1st half but should be by the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

The big question will be discipline both from an assignment perspective (gap integrity and edge containment on D) and minimizing penalties (O-line false starts and PIs). With no run game to speak of Colorado will be dependent on Sanders' arm and making plays in space. Have him running for his life in the 2nd half with a gassed O-line protecting him and there is no way the Buffs can match scores with OBDs. Particularly if the Duck DBs harass the WRs enough to not give him easy looks.

• Thumbs Up 3

CSU did a good job of pressuring Sanders and I think Oregon can do it better.  Just forget about the prevent or anything like unto to it.  That was costly for CSU.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for this article Alex. I agree with the comments plus I want to see us clean up the penalties.

Penalties will be a big story. 

While the HI game had too many penalties, there were fewer and for different infractions than the TT game. That is a big improvement IMHO.

So if we continue the trend, we should be clean in a game or two.

• Thumbs Up 1

One comment to add, CU is getting their running back back from injury that Lanning just compared to Derrick Henry. It does add a bit of dimension to their game plan, and much better chance on short yardage plays.

That being said, HI had that dimension with their converted OL RB and we didn't do too badly with it.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, Solar said:

One comment to add, CU is getting their running back back from injury that Lanning just compared to Derrick Henry. It does add a bit of dimension to their game plan, and much better chance on short yardage plays.

That being said, HI had that dimension with their converted OL RB and we didn't do too badly with it.

It's to bad Buffs interior line play is so horrendous. I am looking for Popo to have a career day. 

Derrick Henry called, said his ACL still hurts coach!

I wish I had a better feel for this game but I do not.  I thought I did when the Ducks played TT and that went out the window when Tyler Shough went off of the defense like he did.  Oregon showed the resiliency needed to comeback strong and win a game I thought they would win going away.  

For that reason and because Colorado can be explosive (if inconsistent) I'm sitting this one on the sidelines.  I think the biggest key of the game will be Dorlus & company getting pressure on Shaduer and containing him on the corners.  Then some turnovers may happen.  On offense, the Ducks need to run the ball a heck of a lot better than they did against Hawaii.  I think they will and if they do, Nix might have a Heisman day.

GO DUCKS

I'll whittle it down to one key, just show up! 

CU - #122 ranked D in the nation. Control possession? OK. But I say go BB early and often and bury the Buffs. Take no prisoners! Leave no crumbs!

And, I need 19.5 plus .5 reasons to beat Prime Time.

Thank you, Alex.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, Steven A said:

I'll whittle it down to one key, just show up! 

Ready to play and with a bad attitude!

On 9/20/2023 at 7:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

It's to bad Buffs interior line play is so horrendous. I am looking for Popo to have a career day. 

Derrick Henry called, said his ACL still hurts coach!

Compared to an (undeserved/ should have been McCaffery) Heisman winner. DL is going out of his way to pour a little sugar on CU.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:13 AM, Desert Duck said:

The wheels on the Prime Love Train begin to come flying off the rails this Saturday in Eugene, as reality comes calling... fast & furious. 

Followed by USC @ CU the next week. At the end of week 7, the Buffs will, however, be 5-2, just before the rest of reality, aka, the rest of the PAC 12 power, sends them down into a 7-5 or 6-6 regular season, and then onto a bowl game.

Which, considering they were 1-11 last year, will still be an impressive turnaround season. 

1-11 to a bowl game, at least, will be one heck of an accomplishment.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:24 PM, Jon Joseph said:

1-11 to a bowl game, at least, will be one heck of an accomplishment.

For sure. And I'll be rooting for them after Saturday. 

On 9/20/2023 at 4:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

Amen Duck-Buddy.

Oregon's Popo Aumavae announces he will return to Ducks for 2022 season -  On3

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great article and great comments!

Since i have no life to speak of I have viewed all 3 games no less than 3 times. They have been fun and exciting for sure.

Just like in the CK years and thru MM's last season, I expected the offense to score every time they touched the ball. They usually did but stopped themselves with penalties and unforced errors. Otherwise it was video game numbers.

I expect the 2023 squad, with Bo at the controls to score everytime they have the ball. With an almost 59 points per game average, well they have scored on many possessions.

The O has used a mix of ball control, balanced attack and NO TURNOVERS to score at will.

No defense has stopped them in the small sample size of 3 games. The Ducks have only stopped themselves with penalties. Losing focus amd getting behind the chains.

TT stayed in the game because of Duck penalties. Not because TT took control but becsuse the Ducks left 10 to 24 off the board because they stopped themselves.

As others pointed out clean that up and the Ducks will be fine against the Buffs

The Buffs D will not shut down Bo and the Duck offense.

The Duck defense also allowed TT to score points because of 7 penalties including 2-15 yard PI calls that moved TT down the field for a quick easy score.

Really the Duck D starters have keot most offensive plays in front of them and minimized big chunk plays.

If my math is right the Duck D is surrendering about 19 points a game

Stay under control, apply pressure and give no free penalty yards and the Duck D can keep the Buffs under 25 points.

A 59 to 24 Ducks victory is possible. No turnovers, no careless penalties and a nasty attitude is in order.Do this in front of a 7 million plus  viewing audience on national tv....

Go Ducks......

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:53 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So...like the CK days--get a quick lead and force the other team into a passing game for catch-up.  Then we blitz, get picks and let it snowball...

I really hope that we get back to that strategy. The most exciting, entertaining, and down right fun games ever where during the CK days. This game plan is also recommended by all of our cardiologists. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, Dave23 said:

The most exciting, entertaining, and down right fun games ever where during the CK days

I totally agree. And I will add the Vernon Adams year was pretty dang fun to watch. I hope the Ducks beat USC this year in the same fashion that VA did!

• Like 1