FishDuck Article

Of the Best Pac-12 Teams, Oregon is Built Differently

This weekend exposed two of the top three consensus teams in the Pac-12 this season as USC and Washington were both in fights for their undefeated survival, while Oregon cruised past Stanford. What has become apparent between these three teams is that USC and Washington are built in very similar ways. They both have great quarterbacks and rely heavily...

FISHDUCK.COM

This weekend exposed two of the top three consensus teams in the Pac-12 this season as USC and Washington were both in fights for...

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 7

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

David, as always, thank you for taking the time to write this article. Your assessment and anaysis are spot on.......

Oregon's balance on both sides of the ball truly separates them from the rest of the PAC.

Contributing to that balance is how Coach Lanning has built depth, on both sides of the ball, with top level players. There has been very little, if any, drop off in performance between the 2 deep players.

The execution on both sides of the ball has been well above average. Especially on defense! Interceptions and sacks by the D have throttled the Duck opponents the last few games.

Can the D throttle the top offenses in the land? uw, usc and WSU can light up the scoreboard....however they have not faced a top 10 defense. One that defends the run or pass, applies pressure and gets to the QB......

Just 1 turnover on offense in 5 games has certainly contributed to averaging just north of 50 ppg!

Clean up the penalties, control the clock with long scoring drives and the husky crowd will be sitting on their hands. No one better than Bo to execute long click eating scoring drives....

Pressure and sack Penix effectively and the Duck D could be the difference maker in a hard fought victory.

GO DUCKS! Come home from Seattle 6-0.........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Great points, and well supported argument, love reading your stuff Mr. Marsh. Agree the running game along with a O-line only getting better as the season progresses can be a difference maker. The defense also is a huge advantage when it can effectively slow down a passing attack.

With this in mind Oregon really has to focus on Oregon to win the games it has coming up, I heard this somewhere. I mean the road game difficulties, penalties, and lack of focus are the only barriers to winning out.

First off Oregon can't sleep through the first quarter against the coming opponents. While the defense needs to continue to hold teams to field goals and limited scoring, the offense needs to be ready from the first time they touch the ball. A lead needs to be built early and then no let up. The Colorado formula needs to be repeated.

Special teams also needs to be sharp. It was said maybe Cam Lewis wasn't ready to kick on natural turf, inexcusable. Special teams needs to be an asset not a liability going forward. If Cam really is developing the yips, the dawg kennel will be a pressure cooker for him. This will be a critical element come next Saturday. 

I love seeing Ducks never panic and just keep plugging along. What we need to see is for the opponent to panic because of the reasons you mention, along with special teams, firing on all cylinders for four quarters, Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Ducks can pressure Penix rushing four, it going to be a great afternoon for our Ducks.  Hopefully Popo can get healthy, and we go in fully loaded on the front. 

That leaves 7 on 5. Those are pretty good advantages. Ducks have guys that can play man against the best. And they will be tested for sure.

If Ducks can find some success getting Penix on the run rushing 3, all the better. Don't have to get to him, just get him nervous. Get him to hurry. 2.5 to 3.5 seconds and force him to make a throw.

Ducks are going to be juiced for this one. They haven't forgotten what happened last year. Especially Nix, the way he looked at that defender as he sat on the turf injured says it all. 

This will be a heck of a game. The Ducks are going to show the nation who is who come Oct.14

• Thumbs Up 2

I truly do not know if Colorado is for real or not. U$C has an anemic defense. But, Oregon held Colorados vaunted passing attack to 0 points. The backups allowed Colorado to score only 1 TD at the end of the game. 7 sacks?......nuff said. Against Washington I predict Penix plays much better but Oregon still stifles their output. 37-28 Oregon

• Let’s hope! 1

Pretty good analysis and encouraging to read for Oregon fans.  Some of us wondered if the hire of a Defensive mind like Dan Lanning might see the Defense improve but the Offense maybe suffer some and Oregon lose that identity they had built-up beginning with the Bellotti-Kelly years of wide-open, exciting offenses that made the team not only hard to beat but darned exciting to watch.

With Dillingham's hire, the ball kept rolling.  But when Kenny left, we were sorta disappointed because he looked to be the right person to keep the train moving ahead at lightening speed while Dan and his DC got things under control on the other side of the ball.  But in comes Will Stein and things are still a-rollin'.  Imagine: A top 5 Offense (which Oregon may be on track for) coupled with a top 5 Defense at the same time!

Then take it a step further and imagine a top 2 or 3 O & D at the same time!  It not only could happen, it sorta is as the season progresses and right even get there before this season is all over. How nice would that be?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You nailed it David, as Oregon is built different. If Arizona can hold them to 31 points…so can the Ducks.

And I believe we can score more than 31 points on that defense.  Great article!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks David! I love the way this roster/team are coming together. Coach Lanning is building something special.

I am not worried about USC. That defense simply will not be able to run the table in the Pac.

UW is the most concerning for me as a Duck fan. Playing in Seattle is never easy and I feel their D-line may slow our run game better than others we have faced. There are some big boys on that line that move fairly well.

That being said... Oregon has played well in Seattle in recent years and our Ducks have weapons all over the field not just the backfield. Many haven't even manifested themselves yet.

The Ducks ARE BUILT DIFFERENTLY! Who knew a Pac team could have both an offense and a defense?... Dan knew.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even Wilner, usually a major Duck skeptic, agrees with you, David. He has Oregon at the top of the PAC, saying the Ducks are the conference's "most complete team".

• Thumbs Up 1

Our Defense will be the difference against Washington and the rest of the conference. The offenses can score similarly, but the pressure will be on Washington and others to keep up against that defense. They will work harder for their points, hopefully causing fatigue later in the game. Another factor is our depth. I think Oregon is deeper on defense, especially the DL, compared to the offenses the Ducks will be playing against.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, Fannah Montana said:

Our Defense will be the difference against Washington and the rest of the conference. The offenses can score similarly, but the pressure will be on Washington and others to keep up against that defense. They will work harder for their points, hopefully causing fatigue later in the game. Another factor is our depth. I think Oregon is deeper on defense, especially the DL, compared to the offenses the Ducks will be playing against.

Agreed, and welcome to the forum!  Do share your thoughts often...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree that Oregon is the most complete and best team in the conference right now.  The defense is better than I expected and should be able to get pressure on the two other heisman contenders and expose their flaws.

I think that it is a two team race with the flea bags right now and the beavers and spoiled children in the next tier trying to be spoilers. If the Utes get healthy and Rising actually plays, they could steal a win from one of the top teams, but the offense would actually have to score and I don’t see that happening against the Ducks.  I am all in for Oregon (except 10/28).  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, Goutes18 said:

. If the Utes get healthy and Rising actually plays, they could steal a win from one of the top teams

Rising has a physical today I think. If he gets cleared I think he plays. If not, does he bag it and start getting ready for draft?

I completely agree with your analysis at this point in the season.

But-

We have yet to face either an elite offense or an elite defense.

A month from now we'll know a lot more as we will have faced the offenses of the Washington schools and the defenses of Utah and Cal.

Then comes November and we face USC and arguably the best defense in the conference this year in the Civil War.

I'm cautiously optimistic as usual, but this season could still go either way IMHO.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2023 at 11:07 AM, noDucknewby said:

We have yet to face either an elite offense or an elite defense.

Some might argue that had Colorado not been boat-raced by the Ducks, the Buffs would be considered an elite offense. They are putting up gaudy numbers other than that game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you, David. Another winner.

CU came into the game vs. USC having rushed for 224 yards for the season. The Buffs put up 193 rush yards vs. SC. And true frosh, Omarion Miller, set the CU frosh receiving record with 198 yards and a TD. Sheduer Sanders threw for more yards than did Caleb Williams. Williams had 6 pass TDs but Shedure had 4 and also scored running the ball for 5 total TDs.

The Ducks penalty yards have dropped. At Arizona, UW had 125 penalty yards. More concerning for UW is that outstanding WR Rome Odunze was dinged up. He is probable for the Oregon game but may not be at full speed. 

As noted by many above, with the Ducks SP+ SOS 109 and UW's SOS 90, the rubber is about to hit the road for both teams as this will be a game versus 2 Top 10 teams (first time ever in OU/UW history) and the road ahead is full of ranked opponents. Hopefully, The Oregon D will play as well as it has played to date against lesser-ranked opponents. 

UW and AZ rush yards were a push - UW 111/UA 110. Penix put up 363 pass yards but did not throw for a TD. 

Arizona true frosh QB Noah Fifita threw for 224 yards.

One good thing about UW, Oregon has been susceptible to running QBs. Penix is a great thrower but he is not a dual threat. 

Thanks again, David. Should be one heck of a game.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Some might argue that had Colorado not been boat-raced by the Ducks, the Buffs would be considered an elite offense. They are putting up gaudy numbers other than that game.

Bit of a stretch if you ask me, no running game and a QB that's on his back more than any other in the country.  My definition of an "elite" offense would have to include a solid, if not dominant O-line.  Plus the only number that really matters is points and Colorado is currently ranked #40 in scoring offense, just not "elite" to me. YMMV.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the way you put it, David:  "built differently."  Nice analysis!  How do you all think that the Ducks will do in really bad weather compared to UW, USC, etc.?  Do we have an advantage in rainy and/or windy conditions because we are more balanced?  Or is there not much difference now in the days of artificial surfaces and sticky receiver gloves?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, noDucknewby said:

My definition of an "elite" offense would have to include a solid, if not dominant O-line

Good point!

Correction, the Buffs have an elite QB. Shedeur Sanders is #2 per PFF.

Also, I just learned that Hawaii’s QB is #4 per PFF.

The Ducks dominated on passing defense against both these QBs.

IMG_1585.jpeg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, noDucknewby said:

My definition of an "elite" offense would have to include a solid, if not dominant O-line.

I am curious, have you seen an “elite” offense (other than OBD) this year?

All top-5 scoring offenses besides the Ducks (USC, OK, UW, WSU) are paas-heavy and have questionable O-line play.

Without the OR game, the Buffs are averaging 46+ points per game, which would rank 11th. (I never played football, so I just boil everything down to scoring.)

Holding the 11th best scoring offense to 6 points is kind of mind-blowing. And I could see CU breaking into the top 10 before the season is over. 

• Applause 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I am curious, have you seen an “elite” offense (other than OBD) this year?

All top-5 scoring offenses besides the Ducks (USC, OK, UW, WSU) are paas-heavy and have questionable O-line play.

Without the OR game, the Buffs are averaging 46+ points per game, which would rank 11th. (I never played football, so I just boil everything down to scoring.)

Holding the 11th best scoring offense to 6 points is kind of mind-blowing. And I could see CU breaking into the top 10 before the season is over. 

Clearly "elite" is a subjective term, IMHO a balanced offense that scores a lot of points would be the paradigm.  That said, all points count the same regardless of how they're scored.  So yes, to answer your question pass-heavy offenses such as those you mentioned can absolutely be elite.  I just think that having an offense that can also pound the ball can be very advantageous, especially in November.  That's why I agree with David and I also like our odds for a strong finish.

I'm not taking anything away from our defense in the Colorado game, it was the best defensive performance I can remember seeing in years.  We leave the starters in and we most likely get a shutout.

That said, you can't do a statistical analysis by ignoring inconvenient data points.  As it now stands, Colorado is #40 in scoring offense which is not elite.  Yes Shedeur Sanders has put up some great passing numbers, but he also has lots of negative rushing yards from sacks (which are not entirely his fault).  SS may indeed by an "elite" QB, I'm not saying he isn't, but as a whole the Colorado offense is not and their O-line is clearly not up to the task.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:26 PM, noDucknewby said:

I just think that having an offense that can also pound the ball can be very advantageous, especially in November.

💯

On 10/3/2023 at 6:26 PM, noDucknewby said:

you can't do a statistical analysis by ignoring inconvenient data points. 

Hahahaha! True dat!! (I might steal that expression.)

If the USC game were played before the OBD game, CU would have been ranked 11th when we played them (possibly even higher bc USC wouldn’t have had the benefit of seeing the Ducks’ game plan.)

That brings me to my original question, have you seen any teams besides OBD operating in “elite” fashion?

I surely haven’t.

The SEC is having an offensive “rebuilding” year. Ohio State looks mundane. The B12 is ho-hum in scoring.

I have the ncaa stats site bookmarked bc i am a total nerd, and OBD are about to face the BEST offenses in the country with the best UO defense in living memory, possibly ever. (Yes, I am using my own memory to measure “living memory.”)

I will just say that I was a frosh in the Gang Green year, and I camped out to get tix to the Rose Bowl, so I remember when OBD played D.

I can’t wait!!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

And I could see CU breaking into the top 10 before the season is over. 

One time I respectfully disagree.  CU will end up 6-6, IMHO.

Sanders is a dead duck from Evan Williams_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't know if Colorado is an elite overall offense. 

But they are an elite passing offense as they are ranked in the top 10 for passing offense. If Sanders isn't getting sacked every other play he can destroy a defense. But Oregon never gave him the opportunity. 

The reality is that most teams have decided to lean towards the big 12 model of minimal defense and just outscore the opponent. I think that's really the easiest way to win these days. 

Building a defense that can stop stread offenses is HARD and getting the pieces to do that is even harder. The teams that pick up the best linemen tend to be in the top 10 recruiting. 

We can thank Cristobal for starting to prioritize the lines. But I think Lanning's hires on both lines have developed our linemen far better than Cristobal's staff. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two years ago, this question would be a no brainer.

Given the choice. Would you rather have Lincoln Riley or Dan Lanning long term?  I think Christobel changed Oregon long term. Even with Chip Kelly, the Ducks would get beat if you could stop the RPO. Just look at the 2014 National Title game.

No USC fan will buy this. But Oregon is better suited heading into the B1G next year.  You'll need that physicality in Ann Arbor, Madison, Columbus, or Happy Valley. 

You'll do what Nebraska thought they were gonna do 11 years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2023 at 9:50 PM, GatOrlando said:

If the B1G money wasn't so good Nebraska probably would have pulled a Colorado and left for the Big 12. 

Oregon has the brand to recruit nationally and it is paying off. 

• Go Ducks! 1

How should Texas, Georgia and Oklahoma fans feel going into week 6? | Joel Klatt Show

Joe Klatt also talks about Oregon being like the middle child in the Pac-12 not getting the attention it deserves.  But he believes Oregon is built differently, the complete team in the Pac-12.

You have to wade thru Texas, Oklahoma and Georgia first before he gets to Oregon.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt checked in with fanbases across college football. He analyzed how No. 3 Texas Longhorns, No. 12 Oklahoma Sooners, No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs and No. 8 Oregon Ducks should feel at...

On 10/4/2023 at 12:50 AM, GatOrlando said:

Two years ago, this question would be a no brainer.

Given the choice. Would you rather have Lincoln Riley or Dan Lanning long term?  I think Christobel changed Oregon long term. Even with Chip Kelly, the Ducks would get beat if you could stop the RPO. Just look at the 2014 National Title game.

No USC fan will buy this. But Oregon is better suited heading into the B1G next year.  You'll need that physicality in Ann Arbor, Madison, Columbus, or Happy Valley. 

I buy it......Christo did one thing that all Duck fans need to credit him for...... the OL its big, strong tough. 

Chip Kelly is the standard to reach for until Lanning gets a little further along on the trail. CK was 4-0 against both rivals so Lanning already has some work to do.

I agree there is lots to get excited about with Lanning, but until he does little more on the sideline lets not push CK accomplishments to the curb. CK got beat because of a lack of depth, his RPO was hard to stop with all the starting talent.

As I noted CK's defenses were also rated in the low teens, 12th, 13th nationally, so his defenses were pretty good too. 

Lanning measures up pretty well against the programs we face coming up. Lets keep it to that until he gets through this season and maybe next.

I look forward to Lanning becoming the greatest coach ever, but he is not there yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/4/2023 at 3:30 AM, NJDuck said:

How should Texas, Georgia and Oklahoma fans feel going into week 6? | Joel Klatt Show

Joe Klatt also talks about Oregon being like the middle child in the Pac-12 not getting the attention it deserves.  But he believes Oregon is built differently, the complete team in the Pac-12.

You have to wade thru Texas, Oklahoma and Georgia first before he gets to Oregon.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt checked in with fanbases across college football. He analyzed how No. 3 Texas Longhorns, No. 12 Oklahoma Sooners, No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs and No. 8 Oregon Ducks should feel at...

"Maybe their elite strength is their balance. And their physicality." Love it. Oregon IS built differently, and because of that every game on the schedule is winnable. Gonna be tough, and gonna take some complete games in every facet and every quarter, but winnable. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/4/2023 at 12:55 AM, David Marsh said:

If the B1G money wasn't so good Nebraska probably would have pulled a Colorado and left for the Big 12. 

Nebraska is the only school in the B1G that is not an AAU member institution. It was so when it joined the B1G but would not have received a B1G invitation if it was not an AAU member when invited.

Come 2024, the Cornhuskers will be the only AAU member outlier.

'You are what your record says you are.' Bill Parcells.

The rest of the season against a tough schedule will prove whether or not Oregon is elite.

I'm optimistic but there is a lot of ball to be played in a loaded back end of the schedule.

On 10/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, David Marsh said:

The Big 12 they left is gone and dead. They'd be the top brand there, probably have more success. Their academic standing also better fits in there. They're the only non AAU member, but they were AAU when they joined. 

Leaving the B1G is nothing like leaving the PAC. Utah would trade them spots in a heartbeat. As would North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Stanford, Cal. Missouri would probably be better off on the field if they left the SEC, go back to the Big 12. But they'd be in the same boat,  we all know what's going on. So do these schools. Nebraska fans are upset because they've been relegated to mid status.

I don't like their chances of climbing out of that.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, fred flintstone said:

I buy it......Christo did one thing that all Duck fans need to credit him for...... the OL its big, strong tough. 

When you guys had Mr. Coffee... I mean Pete Carroll, you had high octane offenses. But athletic, hard hitting defenses. I remember guys like Mays, Mauluga,  just hammering guys if they caught anything up the middle. The last two weeks those middle lanes were big and inviting. Like a Serta mattress. 

Oregon punished the Buffalos all game. Sanders look shook, he was hesitant to run up the seams. His receivers weren't catching those balls. They were tired of getting smacked.

• Thumbs Up 1