Charles Fischer

Next Year: Ready for 9:00 AM Games?

I am planning to record and check into the Ohio State vs. Penn State game, and noted that it has a noon kickoff EST, thus 9:00 AM for us.

It got me to thinking about the blockbuster away games coming up over the years versus the Buckeyes, PSU, Wisconsin and Michigan.  They will probably start at the same time, thus we will be watching on TV as we are still in our morning coffee?

What about when they play here at Autzen, and it is a big game....will they make OUR kickoff at 9:00 AM to fit the window for the biggest audience?  (Makes sense?)

Brandon Dorlus_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Probably won't be a 9:00 AM kickoff, but thankfully there won't be a kickoff after 5:00 PM either. The tv decisions will need to take in consideration the audience in the midwest and east coast, not just Larry's network which will die off!

I am done with my coffee early, but don't stay up as late as I use to. The late games kill me so this may be the one thing I like about the BIG move.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

They need to make those 12:30pm PST kick off times.  That makes the most sense in getting proper exposure across all time zones.  9:00am is a good way to tick off the entire west coast.

That's what Baileys is for...

But I seem to recall that there wouldn't be 9:00 AM kickoffs when playing on the west coast - OBD would only potentially deal with them when traveling. I think it was in a Wilner article...?

• Haha 1

The second school I root for is Iowa. I was born on that campus and my parents both graduated from there. As such, I've rooted for them behind OBD for years. So, I've had consistent experience watching BIG 10 games. They indeed do often kick off at 9am Pacific - not all of them, but weekly there are kickoffs at that time.

I can envision UO games in the Midwest or East vs "lesser" BIG 10 teams (right now, Indiana, Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland and yes...maybe Iowa...although they are 5-1 just saying) kicking off just after 9am Pacific. For me, a couple of those a year might be kinda fun. I would not want all non-west coast based games to kick that early, however. We shall see!

Meanwhile, GO DUCKS, BEAT WSU!

Edited by SeattleDuck92
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

How do the coaches feel about it?  John Canzano asked Chip Kelly...

JC: What would you change about college football itself?

CK: “No night games. College football should be played on Saturday afternoon on every campus in this country like the old days. The tradition and history. As (former Oregon defensive coordinator) Nick Aliotti used to say, ‘I want to get up, touch our toes and smash.’ I don’t want to wait around because that’s the time slot we have. Let’s get up and play ball.”

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

The B1G has already announced that no B1G game in the Pacific time zone will kickoff at 9 AM.

But the Ducks could be kicking off early in the Eastern time zone. I believe that when Oregon won its only game to date versus Ohio State, it was a noon Eastern kickoff. But that was over a couple of days ago so I could certainly be in error.

As an old guy suffering late-game fatigue on the Right Coast, I prefer earlier kickoff times in the Eastern and Central time zones, and I love Oregon's 3:30 Eastern kickoffs. 

Kickoffs at Noon back East? Get the recorder working. Sleep in and enjoy the extra cups of coffee. Start the recorder rolling at Noon Pacific and you will never have to watch The Boz in Fansville.

Great take, thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If it's away games, 9:00 am here works fine for me. I'm up watching Game Day at 6:00 am anyway. Now if it is Oregon versus UW, USC, or UCLA playing at 9:00 am our time in Eugene, I can do that (I live in Eugene, so no long drive for me), but it would make for a hectic morning to leave the house at 7:30 am. 😮

• Applause 1

I imagine kickoff times for the best matchups will be slotted for the best audiences.  If that's 12:00 to 4:00 o'clock Eastern, then I imagine that's the slot most games will start. (9-1 Pacific).  

I can't imagine Ohio St or Michigan wanting to come out to the West Coast and be slotted for a 4:00 pm PST start.  Their fans would scream bloody murder. Might make home games at Autzen much better later in the season.  Fans might be able to get home before dark.

• Thumbs Up 2

IMO the networks will like those 3:30 est games a lot. That is 12:30 pst. Keeps the NW and Cali fans and the midwest is at 2:30. Mountain zone in ratings is much fewer eyeballs. 

• Thumbs Up 3

And here I thought 9:00 am only existed on weekdays.

• Haha 5

I guess it depends on how the athletes perform. Circadian rythem peaks around 3 hrs after awakening. So thats pretty managable for a 9 a.m. kickoff.

As for me... Mon-Fri I get up between 1am and 2am. So Saturdays my eyes pop open about 4ish. It's all good. 7pm starts and I fall asleep about halftime.

Edit: hope they install more stalls. Looks like the team will be on the crapper just before kickoff

Biological_clock_human_svg.thumb.png.ce471342d40eabb6e294651d0b06753d.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope we get to do B1G after dark and play at their bedtime!  7:30pm PT start time, baby!

On 10/20/2023 at 10:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

there won't be a kickoff after 5:00 PM either

I'm banking on there will be a couple 7pm kickoffs. Oregon at home vs like Rutgers or someone lowly... Yeah they may pop that at a 7pm kick off because the Rutgers audience probably doesn't matter to Fox. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a bit off topic, I apologize but not sure where else to ask.

I have no tv.

What program do I need to stream Duck/Wa St game tomorrow?

Supposedly it is on ABC.  I am looking at sling, but it says abc is not available in our zip.

The sports package says PAC 12/Oregon but I do not know if that is pac 12 network or Oregon games.

I have been watching for quite awhile on free streaming programs but the buffering issue has been getting worse over time.

Any advice is appreciated.  I will pay what is needed to watch our Ducks the rest of this season.  

Thank you.

No matter the KO times, even if it's OREGON vs. Rutgers, on BTN millions of folks will have the opportunity to watch. Both the pre and post-game coverage will be B1G.

Compared with the Pac-12 Network this is a bonus.

And for cache. I'd rather play early Pacific time than kick off late at 10:30 Eastern time.

No more light hidden under Larry's bushel.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 10/20/2023 at 11:15 PM, Jemangi said:

I have no tv.

Supposedly it is on ABC.  I am looking at sling, but it says abc is not available in our zip.

The sports package says PAC 12/Oregon but I do not know if that is pac 12 network or Oregon games.

I have been watching for quite awhile on free streaming programs but the buffering issue has been getting worse over time.

Any advice is appreciated.  I will pay what is needed to watch our Ducks the rest of this season.  

Thank you.

Sports bar? If you have a computer all games can be found streaming on your computer. Many without cost.

On 10/20/2023 at 7:46 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I hope we get to do B1G after dark and play at their bedtime!  7:30pm PT start time, baby!

You're cruel man, cruel!

I have no tv.

Thank you.

Yes John.  I am just wondering what site to pay for, or watch.  I have a computer of course.

I have been watching a free site, but it is buffering to much for my pleasure this yr.

I had heard that Sling is the spot, but It appears to not get ABC which the game tomorrow is on.

No worries, I can always watch the free site and hope it is smooth.  

Thanks.

I can't help but laugh about this maybe because I'm in my upper 70s. But the prospect of a 9 AM Pacific raises the prospect of many players taking the field before their morning bowel movement happens. 

That could get really messy.

As for the 9 AM Eastern time slot, I had to get used to that in a hurry when I moved West because if the Dawgs were playing a cupcake or lower echelon SEC team, they'd be placed in that slot on the SEC channel. But just because I adapted didn't mean that I liked it.

Speaking as a resident of indy.....for those 10 plus kickoffs.....it's called recording......and ignoring the internet until you watch it the next day. 

The two most-watched Ducks games this season have been 3:30 pm ET.

That time slot was not just a random selection by the network.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2023 at 10:35 AM, HDuck said:

The two most-watched Ducks games this season have been 3:30 pm ET.

That time slot was not just a random selection by the network.

Yep....when it's all about the bucks....don't worry....the networks are not stupid......Ohio St vs OREGON.....3:30 est.....12:30 pst. 

Edited by fred flintstone
  • Thumbs Up 1

Noon Eastern time for Penn State at Ohio State is drawing close.

As discussed on the B1G Noon pregame show, how messy would this be?

Ohio State defeats Penn State

Penn State defeats Michigan

Michigan defeats Ohio State

All finish 11-1. Today, the B1G would have to go to the 5th tiebreaker to determine the East Division Champion.

At 11-1, all 3 teams would go 3-0 in cross-division games. The winner of the East would be determined by which 3 West opponents finish with the best cumulative record.

As of now, Penn State would be on top, the win over Iowa helps, with its opponent being a combined 5-6.

Have mercy. In 2024, the B1G, thankfully, will be divisionless. 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:28 PM, Jemangi said:

I am just wondering what site to pay for, or watch.

It’s too late for WSU, but Fubo.tv has all the networks and pac-12 channels.

We got rid of cable and only use fubo—totally worth it.

I remember when 9am West Coast kickoffs were floated a few years back and Troy Dye reacted something to the effect, “What is that, like a 4am wake-up?”

It’s not going to happen on the West Coast.

I would LOVE a 9am game in MI, OH, or PA.

The B1G wants the West coast markets to tune in. Most likely they'll schedule 3:30 ET kickoffs when a West coast team goes East. They'll likely do the same whenever an East coast team goes West. It would be a big ask to get West coast kids playing on what would be 9 AM P.T. Or vice versa. I'd look for noontime kicks Pacific Time.

Wake-up call and breakfast at the Moshofsky Center curtesy of the athletic dept?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Wake-up call and breakfast at the Moshofsky Center curtesy of the athletic dept?

We'll turn Bill Lunden into a Duck fan.  Or not.  I don't think he follows football at all. Be nice if he did.