DrJacksPlaidPants

Canes Fans Are Not Happy

Some of us tried to warn them, but they wouldn’t listen. Apparently, they need to go back and check their social media posts about how great Mario was going to be for The U. I distinctly remember reading about how he couldn’t win big at Oregon because our program was trash and had no tradition. Miami was going to give him the tools to win national championships like the old days. 

I see a lot of transfers coming out of Miami in the future. Tyler Van Dyke is going to leave and look like an All-American on his next team. I also don’t see his coordinators hanging on too much longer. 

WWW.CANESINSIGHT.COM

This is what the next 5 years will look like in the Mario Cristobal era. Coaching scared. Antiquated offense. Absolutely HORRENDOUS feel for the game. He will never be able to...

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

I hope they beat the Noles. Thats a double win for Ducks fans. Knock out FSU and secure another couple years of laughing at the U. 

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

No, they did not all know this in advance.  When you consider what was posted here, and the emails I received from 'Cane fans--it was evident that, "recruiting is what matters, and we just took your lunch."  At least that is what I they tried to tell me/us.

Fact is, I would not even hire Mario as an offensive line coach, because we ran the ball better before he came here, and since he left.  This trade of coaches was a 180 degree difference in football future for Oregon, and I am very, very grateful that 1) these 'Cane fans were so convinced and wanted Mario so badly, and 2) Rob Mullens hired Dan Lanning, and 3) that 'Cane fans are tasting the bitter bile of their own nastiness urping up their throat.

With Oregon's track record of propelling transfer QBs to new heights, and Bo Nix as the example....Tyler Van Dyke could rescue his career at Oregon next year quite nicely.

Come to Oregon!

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 6:21 AM, Log Haulin said:

I hope they beat the Noles. Thats a double win for Ducks fans. Knock out FSU and secure another couple years of laughing at the U. 

Not probable, but possible, anything is possible with a MariØ run team.

It does make me even more grateful for the stability, and continued growth Lanning is providing. While some may want Lanning to throttle his gunslinger tendencies, I am just enjoying what he is building.

I will take his questionable calls and all, especially when considering the multiple bullets we missed which would have continued our programs degradation, if not destruction.

When MariØ didn't stay, Wilcox didn't become our coach, and Lanning became our leader the Oregon brand was again put into high gear. During this month, I view as a month of gratitude, I can put this as something to be truly grateful for.

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

I read the entire thread. Some of the quotes are gold. 

One dude wishes to send MC back to Oregon.

Sorry. No refunds!

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It should be noted that the Hurricanes wanted MC so much that they were willing to pay his $9 million (or something in that neighborhood) for his buy out......

They paid for what they wanted and got what they paid for.......

If or when MC decides to hire quality assistants and get out of their way then the Canes will win and win big.

Imagine top 10 recruiting classes with top level coaching? Wait I don't have to imagine that.....it'real and happening at Oregon now because the Canes had to have MC....

The ACC is a below average conference and will not improve with the 2 bay area powerhouses joining in 2024. So top 10 recruiting, coupled with great coaching amd Miami could rule the flag football ACC.

It truly is the season to give thanks. Miami thank you for accepting our gift to you. Does it look as good now that it has been unwrapped?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Remember when Miami stole our coach, SUC hired a coach that was going to rule the PAC while UO was stuck with a coordinator with no head coaching experience? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 4
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/5/2023 at 8:32 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Remember when Miami stole our coach, SUC hired a coach that was going to rule the PAC while UO was stuck with a coordinator with no head coaching experience? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

... and Ducks were going to be left behind in irrelevance...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Perfect example of confirmation bias and nostalgia being the handmaidens of poor decision making 

The powers that be at Miami saw what they wanted to see in Mario and seemingly disregarded the obvious red flags.  Had Mario not played at Miami I don’t think they hire him. 

Now those flaws that were always and quite plainly visible are showing up as we all told them they would 

Lest we get too high on schandenfreude, there was a very vocal effort to hire Wilcox for not too dissimilar reasons.  Thank goodness that didn’t happen 🙂

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 8:57 AM, CalBear95 said:

Lest we get too high on schandenfreude, there was a very vocal effort to hire Wilcox for not too dissimilar reasons.

Big difference, IMHO.  The Miami fans wanted Mario, but Oregon fans did not want Wilcox.

FISHDUCK.COM

I have been pretty disappointed recently with the decisions and intentions of former Oregon football players, and their disproportionate impact on the Oregon…

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 6:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

With Oregon's track record of propelling transfer QBs to new heights, and Bo Nix as the example....Tyler Van Dyke could rescue his career at Oregon next year quite nicely.

What's crazy about this poor kid is that he was projected as a possibly 3rd or 4th rounder in the draft.  Under "that joke of a coach, but he's a great recruiter" individual in Miami, I think he has seen his draft stock drop.

Now, I have ANOTHER crazy proposition for you.  Those fickle fans down in Texas are screaming for Arch Manning to play.  The issue is that they have a pretty good guy there now (albeit his is currently injured) by the name of Quinn Ewers.  As crazy as it sounds, what if Dan "The Man" Lanning could lure Quinn Ewers out of Texas to Oregon AND Ewers could face the team that he initially started with in Ohio State.  Now granted, I know he is from Texas and has family there and wanted to play in that horrid Orange color...but hearing all the fans calling for Arch Manning probably has taken a little of that nostalgia away.

I know, I know it sounds crazy...some southern kid who has always wanted to play for a certain team leaving that behind to come to the Pacific Northwest and play for Oregon...but hey, it COULD happen....Right??

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Big difference, IMHO.  The Miami fans wanted Mario, but Oregon fans did not want Wilcox.

FISHDUCK.COM

I have been pretty disappointed recently with the decisions and intentions of...

Very true.  Wilcox was certainly a divisive choice versus a consensus messiah.  But there was a very powerful minority that fell victim to it (and IIRC, almost won out.  Not sure if the ‘offer extended/not extended’ story was ever verified’)

Anyhow, all’s well that ends well!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 9:05 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Now, I have ANOTHER crazy proposition for you.  Those fickle fans down in Texas are screaming for Arch Manning to play. 

I'll pass.  He has no experience.  I'll take TVD from Miami, or Cam Ward of WSU as a one-year band-aid until our other QBs are ready IMHO.  Manning should go to Ole Miss...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 8:18 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

If or when MC decides to hire quality assistants and get out of their way then the Canes will win and win big.

The biggest frustration of it all is that MC does hire top level coaches with often amazing track records (not all but many). 

Once the off-season comes around MC is going to absolutely kill it. He is going to make some nice new hires and wrangle in some amazing recruits and transfers.

Everyone will be filled with hope that maybe now and this time the pieces are in place. 

And then you get basically the same season all over again. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Mario Cristobal will be Oregon's head coach in 2022. The only way this doesn't happen is if he opts to leave...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 9:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I'll pass.  He has no experience.  I'll take TVD from Miami, or Cam Ward of WSU as a one-year band-aid until our other QBs are ready IMHO.  Manning should go to Ole Miss...

I have a feeling we'll find out soon just how good the coaches feel about their QB room. If they go after a transfer portal player it means they don't think they have "it". 

But if they don't grab a QB from the portal.... Then I'd say we are all in for a treat next year because they feel real good about what they have. 

In the one series where Thompson had the full playbook at his disposal he looked confident and made some nice passes. Not saying he has suddenly found it... But there is a lot of development going on behind the scenes that's for sure. It was the biggest jump in Thompson's play I've seen yet. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, Solar said:

I read the entire thread. Some of the quotes are gold. 

One dude wishes to send MC back to Oregon.

Sorry. No refunds!

All Sales Are Final!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, CalBear95 said:

Very true.  Wilcox was certainly a divisive choice versus a consensus messiah.  But there was a very powerful minority that fell victim to it (and IIRC, almost won out.  Not sure if the ‘offer extended/not extended’ story was ever verified’)

You're right as a lot of Oregon fans wanted Wilcox. I'm so thankful that he didn't want the job. 

On 11/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

What's crazy about this poor kid is that he was projected as a possibly 3rd or 4th rounder in the draft.  Under "that joke of a coach, but he's a great recruiter" individual in Miami, I think he has seen his draft stock drop.

Now, I have ANOTHER crazy proposition for you.  Those fickle fans down in Texas are screaming for Arch Manning to play.  The issue is that they have a pretty good guy there now (albeit his is currently injured) by the name of Quinn Ewers.  As crazy as it sounds, what if Dan "The Man" Lanning could lure Quinn Ewers out of Texas to Oregon AND Ewers could face the team that he initially started with in Ohio State.  Now granted, I know he is from Texas and has family there and wanted to play in that horrid Orange color...but hearing all the fans calling for Arch Manning probably has taken a little of that nostalgia away.

I know, I know it sounds crazy...some southern kid who has always wanted to play for a certain team leaving that behind to come to the Pacific Northwest and play for Oregon...but hey, it COULD happen....Right??

In the new FBS, anything is possible... so why not.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Some of my favorites:

[Mario] took a QB that was playing at a very high level the season before he got here and turned him into a QB that looks like he’s never played the position.”

He just needs six seasons of recruiting to rebuild the roster and establish culture. How can he be expected to beat less talented teams so soon?”

”Tim Hasselbeck is losing his mind every week on the broadcast at the level incompetence that is taking home 8 mill a yr. I have never heard a broadcaster be more dumbfounded at the coaching since Cristobal got here. Every week it's dumber than the last. He's the Michael Scott of coaching.”

”He had a top NFL prospect at QB and still lost two games. What possible chance do we have of doing any better?”

”And the worst part is he's still got 8 yrs left and he coaches like it. U think if he was coaching for his job, we run it straight at NC State on 4th & 1 after all the **** we ran in the Red zone against A&M? He knows he's got another 4 years to drag this program through the mud. 

Coaching is supposed to cover where players lack and/or cater to their strengths. Be the difference maker strategically. Not constantly play to the strengths of the other teams. We have no tempo, coaches still seem like they need 2 timeouts in a row to make the same decision from the 1st time out. We don’t know when to go for it and when not to go for it. Everyone knows we’re running the ball with fiftyleven linemen on the field but we run it up the middle into a free defender anyway.”

”Mario micromanaging the offense is killing the team; y'all blaming Dawson but his hands are cuffed by a hc who has never been a coordinator…I don't think we will ever keep a OC more than 2 yrs under this HC. We're stuck with this HC and his "tough guy" mentality at least 6 more seasons before a buyout.“

”This has to fall on mario .. Dawson has the rep of the air raid offense .. we look like we’re playing leather helmet era football . He has to be putting the handcuffs on dawson. If I’m Dawson im out after BC”

He has no feel for the game. The worst clock management I’ve ever seen (that was apparent from his first game against Texas AM). Once again we hired the wrong guy.”

Miami will lose at least 3 or more games every year Mario is head coaRch....2 of them will be winnable games he mismanaged and the others will be blowout losses in big games”

”Is it a rebuild if you are worse then Manny Diaz?”

”If Mario is ever going to succeed, he has to get out of the way. I think a lot of us assumed he would be the CEO leader type, but I’ve seen a much different picture so far. I think he heavily involves himself in game plans, scheme etc and he sucks at that to put it mildly. He’s not a good X/O coach at all but I don’t think he sees it that way. I’m almost sure he doesn’t.

Not sure if anyway can get him to change his ways honestly. I tend to think not. It’s staggering to watch how much better and more efficient Oregon looks in the time since he left. This version of Mario is beyond doomed.”

”I've never seen a more lethargic and predictable offense.”

image.jpeg.177655d4af48b6a0981b60317a2c1ef0.jpeg

• Great post! 2

On 11/5/2023 at 4:30 PM, OregonDucks said:

”Is it a rebuild if you are worse then Manny Diaz?”

Wowsa.  Meanwhile Diaz has built the Penn State defense into something formidable...better than the offense at PSU.

Miami fans were SO MUCH smarter than Oregon fans....right?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

coaches still seem like they need 2 timeouts in a row to make the same decision from the 1st time out.”

He's the Michael Scott of coaching.”

image.jpeg.4f4df2a77da7890ef44f5ac614cf79bc.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:21 AM, Log Haulin said:

OK, Log Haulin, you got me here!  I was hoping for a real embarrassment for Miami next week but now that you put it this way, I'm re-thinking my position.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:08 AM, CalBear95 said:

I guess I'm one of the minority because I thought (and still do) that Wilcox would have been good here - certainly better than Willie Taggert or Mario Cristobal.  It had a lot to do with loyalty, I guess.  He was a great Duck player and so was his dad.  They were locally born.  And who knows how well (or not?) he would have done here with the talent O has.

That said, all those struggles with Helfrich, Taggert and Cristobal ended up worth it if what O finally secured was Dan Lanning. We have one of the best Head Coaches in America, imho and yeah, I too think he's probably a lot better than Wilcox.  But most of my thoughts were towards Wilcox as the Defensive Coordinator, not Head Coach.  

I'm grudgingly giving Tosh Lupoi my kudos.  It's hard to fault success.  GO  OREGON!

• Like 1