QuackAttack

Can Ty Thompson Raise His Game and Lead Ducks in '24?

I’m seeing people get excited about Tyler Van Dyke as a transfer. I have mixed feelings but plenty of hope in TT. Does anybody see TT being able to run the offense at maybe 80% the efficiency of Bo? I’d take 80% of Bo any day because he’s insanely good. THOUGHTS! If not Ty, who?

In Stein I trust. He seems to be bringing Ty along nicely, but he also will know who, and who not to bring in.

I hope Ty can keep bringing it along, but with the coaches, we are in good hands. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Doubts about Ty Thompson are caused by a few factors. 1) He is compared to the best quarterback in College Football, therefore he doesn't appear to be ready. 2) He typically comes in to run out the clock and throw very conservative routes. 3) He is not surrounded by starters in most cases. Reason one will fade away slowly, but two and three's disappearance will give Ty and us fans more confidence in his ability. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Ty Thompson has all of the physical gifts you'd want in a QB - size, athleticism, a huge arm, etc. This year he appears to be making better decisions (with the exception of the interception in the ASU game) and throwing accurate passes.  I hope that TT continues to improve and leads Oregon to a B1G championship next year!  

I think Ty has played great this season.  As for the pick he threw vs. ASU, his arm was hit on that play.  

I think he can be a high level starter at Oregon.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

QuackAttack, I like Haywarduck, will put my trust in the coaches. DL and staff have made some great player decisions........

Their choices for players who fit and fill needs thru recruiting and the portal has been excellent. DL and staff will bring in the best QB transfer to compete for QB1.

OBD's went from a good team in 2022 to a dominant team in 2023. That turnaround was by quality decisions in players and player developement.......

The difference in Ty is visible for us to see. Stein and the QB coach have helped TT develope toward QB1 for 2023.

I was disappointed in TT's play against ASU. The game was well in hand with no pressure on TT. He did not run thru his progressions, look off defenders or find the open receiver.

The line protected him well! This was his opportunity to lead his team.

On his pick you can watch TT follow just one receiver. The defense can see that, too. UM, tOSU, PSU and Iowa have future NFL Dbacks who will play against the Ducks QB1.

You can have all the natural abilty and talent but the QB must keep those D's off balance and guessing.

Does this Forum feel TT can do that?

Yet, on the TD pass he locked onto the receiver immediately, let the route develope and thru a perfect strike for the TD. My guess is that was a called play! TT executed that play to perfection.

TT has such a great upside! So much to like about this young man.

But I asked myself if TT was QB1 today would he lead the team to a win over the Beavers?

What about against the huskies, wolverines, buckeyes, seminoles, the tide or the Real Dawgs?

DL has the Ducks playing for all the marbles now! Next year the talent will be higher and deeper.

I wonder, will 15 spring practices, the spring game and fall camp being enough reps for TT?

GO DUCKS! Nothing on the field matters except beat the Beavers.

On 11/24/2023 at 7:39 AM, OregonDucks said:

Ty Thompson has all of the physical gifts you'd want in a QB - size, athleticism, a huge arm, etc. This year he appears to be making better decisions (with the exception of the interception in the ASU game) and throwing accurate passes.  I hope that TT continues to improve and leads Oregon to a B1G championship next year!  

I think the pic Ty threw also was on Ty. His arm was hit sure. But Ty has to have pocket awareness. Something he has struggled with a bit but has shown vast improvements. This comes with experience and snaps.

Ty looks a ton more comfortable than last year. The deer in the headlights look is gone. Thats a great revelation.

80% of Bo with this D would take Ducks to 10 wins imo. This Defense with a 2nd year senior starter and who knows what can happen. Skys the limit 

When I posted about Caleb the other day, it was more about the person fitting (or not fitting) into the DL culture, not so much about whether I wanted him to replace one of our current or future QBs.

I think the best thing all our current QBs have outside of Stein, Lanning, etc. is Bo in the QB room.  I think Bo is a young, may I be so bold to say TB12 with more desire to teach as much as chew on someone if they deserve it.  I get the impression he's a big brother to all the current QBs and they feel they can go to him for anything at anytime.

I don't think Ty had that with Slick and Mario. Maybe it made him afraid to make a mistake.  I think all the QBs know they have a lot of people who have their backs in the DL culture.  Obviously Mario doesn't have Van Pelts back either. 

As others have said coaches will get the right QB but whoever gets the keys to the Maserati next year will be prepared and have the coaches full support.  Will it be a B1G championship, I don't know, but 10-11 wins will certainly be doable.

Edited by candyduck
Added thought

No.

At crunch time, he will Shough it.  (Shuck)

Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early.  Weakness never turns into Greatness, you simply put a ton of time into a QB/employee/volunteer who is below average, just to make them average.

You cannot send chickens to Eagle school; if you want Eagles, you have to go find them.  (Recruit them) And they will save you a ton of time. (This is an old manager expression)

And you do not want an average QB running the Oregon offense; you want a GREAT one.

Bo Nix delivers quickly_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Justin Herbert had to beat out a transfer QB as a true freshmen to win QB1. If TT can't do that as a fourth year junior, then he's just not the guy.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Justin Herbert had to beat out a transfer QB as a true freshmen to win QB1. If TT can't do that as a fourth year junior, then he's just not the guy.

In truth it sounded like Herbert probably won the starting job or near to it before the season began. He had all the physical upside and was grasping the offense pretty well but he just didn't have the expirence.

We tend to think of Prukop being a bad QB but he really wasn't. He wasn't Mariota, or Adams or even Herbert but he wasn't bad. The defense let the 2016 offense down big time, the offense's numbers were down from previous years but I'd say that is a bigger factor of never having the ball and the defense never getting off the field. 

As for Thompson... I'm not feeling it anymore. He feels like a serviceable backup. But he has had prove it moments on the field. 

Garbage time reps aren't about experience for backups anymore but moments where the backups can prove they have what it takes to be a future starter. 

And he hasn't proven it to me anyways ... But I don't have a say in the matter. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If he was so good then why didn't he transfer? What good QB wants to sit for 3 years waiting for 2 years of playing when they could start somewhere else? 

He either must really like it at Oregon or he lacks the confidence to transfer knowing he would struggle elsewhere

He also seems to lack the killer instinct. He seems to just be going through the motions and not going 100%. That could be because the games already won and why bust your butt for nothing. Or it could mean that he knows it's not his turn yet and when it is he'll take it more serious. Not sure I like the latter attitude.

As far the eye test goes he looks much more comfortable running the O, but he still makes me nervous. Can't really put my finger on it but something's lacking. We don't see practice and we don't hear coach/player conversations so there's no way to get a full picture of his ability.

My guess is DL brings in another QB from the portal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some guys just need the first team reps to be effective. I think we’ll see the real Ty when he’s the starter. It could be good or bad. However, he has to win the job first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ty's stats look great. Both camps have a good argument as far as TT goes. If anything it's an interesting story.

I would love to see him start a game with the ones. Rooting for the guy for sure. 4 tds in 31 attempt. Cmp% is pretty high. Int at ASU was his first. 

Screenshot_20231124_152132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8659c2370fc0da74c99b82336162bb6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

From what little I have seen he is not a very good runner so that is concerning.

On 11/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, Utki said:

From what little I have seen he is not a very good runner so that is concerning.

He is averaging 6 yrds a carry. Not afraid to take a hit. O line has protected Ty well, no sacks but only 31 pass attempts.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 11/24/2023 at 7:39 AM, OregonDucks said:

Ty's elbow was hit on the interception. I'm not holding that against him.

There are still a few throws he needs to work on his accuracy and he is late getting the ball out to the open receiver too.

If you extrapolate his improvement from last year through to next year, it is conceivable he can play well enough to be the guy.

My thought is that For Ty to win the 2024 starting QB job at Oregon he will need to beat out one of the best in the country.  Lanning and Stein will have their choice of several prospective portal transfers, considering what the Ducks are going to do in the next four games, the house that Bo will be vacating, the NIL Division Street will offer, the offensive line protection, facilities and attractive community of Eugene.

Agreeing with Charles that chickens can’t be made into eagles . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

I think its imperative we start Ty or Austin.  Cant keep running to the portal for QBs... we gotta show we can develop that position.  If Ohio St can start sorry butt McCord, we can start Ty.  

• Haha 1

It is surprising how long this thread is, considering how much else there is to discuss now. Two quick points. 

1. I respect Ty's loyality. It ought a point in his favor, not an argument against him. I was in the Butterfield camp before, but admire his perseverence, and respect his talent. The throw to Casey Kelly against ASU was impressive. 

2. I rarely disagree with Mr. Fishduck, but I respectually do in this case. At the QB position, greatness does not always appear early. It took Dennis Dixon two or three years of struggle before he put together (prior to his injury) a Heisman-level performance. Justin Herbert was, according to one supposed expert, "going to get some GM fired" if drafted. Finally, Bo Nix himself had a distinctly mixed record before arriving in the Emerald Empire last year. Let's give some recognition to "late bloomers," and hope that Ty is one. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I also disagree with those that say that a QB can't improve.  

As I mentioned above, Ty Thompson has all of the physical abilities you'd look for in a QB (e.g., athleticism, arm strength, size), it's just putting them all together.  Players are capable of growing with good coaching, in the right situation, as long as they have the physical abilities.  Off the top of my head, below are some examples of QBs who drastically improved by their senior seasons (there are countless other examples):

Joe Borrow 

Carson Palmer

Akili Smith

Dennis Dixon

I believe that the coaches should bring in an experienced QB to complete for the starting job next season but I wouldn't write off Ty Thompson, yet. Even if he doesn't win the starting job next year, he could do really well his senior year or somewhere else.

I think you guys make some GREAT points, and while we disagree, I love how we can have this discussion without disparaging each other as they do on the boards.

To me, he doesn’t have the “it” factor, but I will humbly admit my error if he becomes a winner. You know the truth about my opinions…

“Frequently wrong, but never in doubt!”

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I agree, Charles, and thank you for this forum to discuss OBD.

One thing that Duck fans should mentally prepare for...whomever is Oregon's QB next season, will be a step back from what we are witnessing this year from Bo Nix. It would be unfair to compare anyone to Bo and not expect a slight step back in offensive production next year.  Bo is special, and the most experienced QB in college football history.  We should enjoy watching #10 play his final few collegiate games.

Go Ducks!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe that the Ducks will take a transfer QB this year, but not because they don´t believe that Ty is the Guy. 

We need a good back up. They should bring in a one year transfer to compete with Ty for the starting job. Whoever wins is QB1; whoever loses is QB2.

If the Ducks don´t bring in a transfer, our only back ups are redshirt freshman Novosad and two true freshmen. Do we trust that one of the 3 will be able to step up and lead the team if Ty were to go down?

I want a one year transfer only because I think that one or more of the 3 freshmen will be ready by their sophomore year. They need to know they've got a shot and that Oregon will not be bringing in portal QBs their whole time in Eugene. Let's finally see some long term QB development.