Steven A

DJ Uiagalelei Enters Portal

Hopefully he won't be re-united with his brother.

Man it is hard to figure out when a student-athlete's decade of eligibility is over.

WWW.MSN.COM

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

And so the Beaver exodus begins.

• Yikes! 1

Interesting possibility of DJU coming to Oregon.  He'd be the experienced QB transfer that might help up the competition in Will Stein's QB room.  The question would be whether he is a good fit in Oregon's offense or not.

Making 2020 a free year gave everyone extra time if they wanted it.

But man, I've never seen so many 5+ year seniors!

However, if anyone can use another year to develop, it's DJU. He has the physical attributes, big body, strong arm, but he has yet to put it all together on the field. 

Good luck to him.

Maybe MSU?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I read Utah's QB is returning, Cam Rising. Would be his 7th year I think.

What kind of degree is he working on?

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, DanLduck said:

Making 2020 a free year gave everyone extra time if they wanted it.

But man, I've never seen so many 5+ year seniors!

However, if anyone can use another year to develop, it's DJU. He has the physical attributes, big body, strong arm, but he has yet to put it all together on the field. 

Good luck to him.

Maybe MSU?

Would be interesting if he does land at MSU.   He seemed a bit perturbed about Smith based on a tweet he posted after Smith announced his departure.

On a separate note, anyone catch the comment from Trent Bray in his presser yesterday?  When asked about Smith's departure he said 'it didn't sit quite right with me...'    Guessing he was pretty sure he was getting the job but again the high road is always the best route no matter how we feel privately.

• Thumbs Up 1

DJ Uiagalelei landing spots: destinations that make sense for the Oregon State QB

Once expected to be one of the best quarterbacks in the nation, former Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei is moving on from his one-year stay at Oregon State and entering the transfer portal a second time.

Uiagalelei firmly reestablished himself at OSU and should be strong candidate for a number of programs. He has one year of eligibility left and could use it to increase his draft stock, which was considered at one point to have a first-round ceiling.

At the same time, it is not out of the question for Uiagalelei to forgo that final year of eligibility and try his luck in the 2024 NFL Draft if he feels he's shown scouts enough improvement.

Uiagalelei finished out the 2022 season completing 57.1% of his passes for 2,638 yards with 21 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 2023.

Oregon State's head coach Jonathan Smith left for Michigan State and Oregon State's football future is uncertain with the collapse of the Pac-12, so it is not a big surprise the former Clemson quarterback is looking for a third school to close his career.

Here's a look into three spots that could make sense for Uiagalelei...

• Thumbs Up 1

DJU to Eugene?  No thank you.  Physical talent yes, but hasn't lived up to the 5* billing yet, like TT.  I'd rather have TT, I think it is coming together for him.  Need someone with the decision making ability, DJU isn't it

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven, stick with DJU. Far easier to do.

If DJU was interested in joining his little bro would you want him?

Unlike Bo, DJU would not threaten the all time completion percentage mark.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:57 PM, JDuck said:

DJU to Eugene?  No thank you.  Physical talent yes, but hasn't lived up to the 5* billing yet, like TT.  I'd rather have TT, I think it is coming together for him.  Need someone with the decision making ability, DJU isn't it

I'd like to bring in Duke's Riley Leonard but I think he is headed to South Bend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan L - Rising is on the Cam McCormack plan.

By now, Cam should have his Doctorate. 

• Mic drop 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Capped by a Washington appellate judge telling the money-grubbing Beavs and Cougs - Not So Fast.

Simple equity will not allow teams that bargained for one-twelfth of the pie to eat half. 

Why is Rob going out of his way to set up a game against a school suing Oregon? A school without a media deal comes July, 2024.

Edited by Jon Joseph

No thank you.  We need more accuracy, although he would be an adequate backup in case of QB injuries.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

No Thanks. I'd really like to see the incoming freshman get a shot but I'm sure a transfer will be coming in.

Would this guy really want to don a Duck outfit?  And could you imagine the reaction that would generate from die-hard Beavs fans?  !!!

Maybe Johnathan Smith would offer him a bed and a place to stay.

Edited by Mic

We could do worse I suppose, but we could definitely do better.  I'd take Cam Ward over him any day.

That said, I'd really like to see someone in-house EARN the start next year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Nope. He might cause a rift the Ducks don’t need. 

Don’t see him as the guy. Like what we have much better.

That being said I think a portal QB will be coming and DL and WS probably knows who that might be.

I think by next year Ty Thompson will be similar to better than DJU in every way. 

We have QBs beating our door down right now to get our NIL and Stein's coaching.

DL and Stein will be picky.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2023 at 11:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Unlike Bo, DJU would not threaten the all time completion percentage mark

Not many records that DJ would threaten.  

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

With one year he would want a guarantee of starting. At Oregon he wouldn't get that. I doubt he would come to Oregon. 

My bet he goes to a Boise State type school to get some more playing time, or a school that really needs him and will give him assurances of playing time. Oregon isn't that school, program.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:56 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Uiagalelei finished out the 2022 season completing 57.1% of his passes for 2,638 yards with 21 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 2023.

This is a big reason why I say the Ducks should pass. OSU had a solid offensive line and a good run game. Their receivers weren't bad but not nearly as loaded at that position as the Ducks are... but throwing for under 60% is a big red flag for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

DJ would make it much easier for the Next Duck QB. He would be a sacrificial lamb as "the guy after Nix". Whoever replaces Nix is in for a rough ride.

Ty Thompson should go in the Portal. Find a place he can ball out next year. I think Ty is going to be a Dude but Duck fans are already pretty brutal on Thompson.

If Ty replaces Bo every little mistake he makes he will be shredded over. More so than a incoming TP guy or one of the freshman. 

These are just my opinions but I don't think Oregon is a good place for Ty even is he is a very good QB. Fair or not, TT would get killed by Oregons fan base.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:21 PM, David Marsh said:

This is a big reason why I say the Ducks should pass. OSU had a solid offensive line and a good run game. Their receivers weren't bad but not nearly as loaded at that position as the Ducks are... but throwing for under 60% is a big red flag for me. 

Not that I want to see Ulagelelei transfer in to Oregon, but his lack of throwing stats (percentage and yards, etc.) probably had a lot to do with OSU's run-centric offense.  The throws he did make were longer & different than a lot of the throws Bo makes to the check downs, screens, etc.  

Bo's average is so high because a lot of the throws he makes are high-percentage.  This is not a knock on Bo - he's making them because he's directing the offense down the field in the best possible manner.  Ie: he's "quarterbacking" the offense.  The proverbial "taking what the defense is giving you."  No one does it better than Bo - not at this level.

I'm not at all certain Ulagelelei could do the same or read the defenses like Bo. Not many QB's at this level can.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think DJU would be a perfect fit here. Remember Bo when he first came here? He wasn't a 60% completion passer, and he had never thrown for more than 16 touchdowns. He was a former 5 star who had the talent but not the development needed to maximize his production.

Sound familiar, I think if Will Stein could do for DJU what Kenny Dillingham did for Bo, it would solidify his status as a great coach, and not just as a door holder that didn't wreck what Dillingham built. I don't think that, (I think Stein is a genius) but I think it would be fair to say it could be said that he had an easy job this year with Bo and the offense. 

Plus Matayo is here, the story just writes itself. I want to see Ty Thompson next year, but if DJU can beat him out then that's on him.

Meh ... doesn't move the needle much for me. Not without talent but way too much to fix with only one year of eligibility remaining.

And don't we already have our very own Bluto Blutarsky award winner on the roster? Isn't Dorlus a 7 year man? Not that I'm complaining ... his seven years  at Oregon were far from " down the drain." Young man is absolutely balling out this year.

Might qualify as a "hot take" but:

I'd probably look elsewhere than DJ; but, he has about 1,175 career passes attempts, of which maybe 700 have been "meaningful" snaps. 

TT has 66 career snaps of which maybe about 10 have been meaningful (depending on how you feel about 9 attempts in the second half in the Sony Brook game).

I'd be hard pressed to put DJ at the top of my portal list; but, if nothing else comes together, I'd definitely let DJ compete against TT (nothing against TT, I'm still pulling for him about as much as most Duck fans -- but realistic).

On 11/30/2023 at 11:38 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I believe that began on Saturday with some guy named Stewart 😉

On 11/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, Mic said:

Would this guy really want to don a Duck outfit?  And could you imagine the reaction that would generate from die-hard Beavs fans?  !!!

Maybe Johnathan Smith would offer him a bed and a place to stay.

For the right amount of NIL money, I'm guessing he'd don just about anything. 

• Wow 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:51 PM, Log Haulin said:

Whoever replaces Nix is in for a rough ride.

Yep.

Even if Ty, or whoever comes via the portal, plays great, there is simply no way they can live up to what Bo has done this year.

Bo has been flat out amazing.

We need to really temper our expectations.

Easier said than done.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, DanLduck said:

He has the physical attributes, big body, strong arm, but he has yet to put it all together on the field. 

I think that DJU should have moved to another position (e.g., TE, DE).  He throws some really inaccurate balls. Grounding it a few yards short or throwing behind open receivers. I just don’t think he will succeed as a high level QB.

He should look to transfer to a mid major program. Hawaii or San Diego State might be good options.  

Edited by OregonDucks