Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! BIG QB Transfer Rumor...

There are heavy rumors that Oregon is closing in on a new quarterback for 2024. As of this morning, one of the top portal transfer QBs available is Dillon Gabriel, who is the Oklahoma QB of this last season. He had 37 starts as the QB at UCF before coming to OU, and has 50 career starts now.

He is in the same high school class as Bo Nix!  He has had a medical redshirt year, and the COVID year, and thus would be a one-year band aid to allow for development of the young guns on the roster.

Gabriel is not considered much of a NFL prospect at 5'11", but he is an elite college QB.  At Oklahoma he threw for 3,660 yards , ran for 373, for 30 TDs and 6 picks with a 69% completion rate.

He went to Mililani high school in Hawaii, was a big Oregon fan and Marcus Mariota fan, and now wears the No. 8 of his childhood hero.  His OC at OU left to be the HC at Mississippi State, and Oklahoma had a young stud QB that they want to play or lose him.

Dillon beat Texas, threw for 285 yards and ran for 113 yards in that game.  In another game, Gabriel threw for an incredible EIGHT touchdown passes!

Gabriel Named a Manning Award Finalist - University of Oklahoma

• Wow 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Below are the top-rated college quarterbacks as of the end of week 13: Look carefully at who is No. 18, No. 7, No. 3 and No. 2!

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Welcome to Bleacher Report's Top 25 college football quarterback rankings after Week 13. The only thing that matters here is on-field production in 2023. That…

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Love a scrappy, resourceful winner, absolutely love seeing that in our QB!

• Thumbs Up 2

Highlights...

Mr. FishDuck

I have no idea of his credibility...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ditto.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

I was impressed with Cam Ward when WSU came to Eugene.  I thought his numbers were better than above, and perhaps they would get better at Oregon if he becomes the candidate?

If Oregon gets Gabriel...we are immediately gunning for the B1G Championship in 2024!

UCF fans should wish QB Dillon Gabriel good luck in transfer portal

Mr. FishDuck

He was my top choice over Cam Ward. This is the type of individual we should be looking for in the portal. Experienced, high floor individuals.

Let our HS recruits come in being judged by their ceiling.

Let player evaluation and development take care of the rest.

• Applause 1

Getting him might also keep Stein focused on where he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would assume the same people who gave the massive NIL money to Nix would also pony up for a guy like him. Especially with the Marcus Mariota connection.  It's a great story and one that donating businesses would want to be associated with.

• Thumbs Up 1

QBs that have proven themselves in big games and shown consistency are valuable. While Cam Ward is a good QB, I think a QB that has both mobility and accuracy are what moves the chains in college football. 

If projections of the transfer to Oregon are correct, then we have a veteran QB that can win games against tough competition.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope the MM connection pays dividends.  🤞

From Mississippi State, one of the three projected finalists for Gabriel....

chrome_screenshot_dec-4-2023-8_43_01-am-

Mr. FishDuck

He'd obviously be a HUGE pick up and I hope it happens.  DL also should do what he can to pick up Walter Nolen.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Nolen, a defensive end, is the highest rated player to sign with the Aggies

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2023 at 12:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Highlights...

Watch his film. Quick decision maker moving through his progressions. Not really a cannon arm but zippy delivery and he fits it into tight windows. Not very big at 5'11" (generous, I think) but a gutsy slippery runner when he takes off. Reminds me of a southpaw Vernon Adams.

If the reported $2M NIL price tag is not bs, then I'll bet someone in the OBD donor stable has the coin. Assume that Marcus would have his ear if he said to go play for DL and Will Stein, behind a great O-line and with talented RBs, TEs and WRs. 

If the Ducks want to bring in a quality one and done QB and understand that TT would probably enter the portal, it seems to me that Gabriel is the better option over Ward or Moore. It would make quite a splash entering the B10.

• Applause 1

The kid is a baller. A great competitor. His last drive against Texas to get the win was tremendous.

If he had not been hurt against Kansas, OK would not have lost in Lawrence. Win this game and what team is in the final 4? OK would have been 11-1 and in the B12 champ game with the chance to take down Texas twice.

Upset by OK St in Stillwater but that was more on the D, missing its best LB and top tackler who was injured the week prior. 

A true dual-threat QB who is accurate on the move.

This would be a great get. I think he is the best QB in the portal including Duke QB Riley Leonard. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Cool 1

Why not try for Gabriel and Moore.  Gabriel is a high quality QB, but is a one and done.  Moore is transferring to be better developed.  What better way than to learn from someone like Gabriel and the staff for a year, then be THE man for the next two.  He was thrown into the fire this year brfore he was ready.  Win win for everyone.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:28 PM, 47sgs said:

Why not try for Gabriel and Moore.  Gabriel is a high quality QB, but is a one and done.  Moore is transferring to be better developed.  What better way than to learn from someone like Gabriel and the staff for a year, then be THE man for the next two.  He was thrown into the fire this year before he was ready.  Win win for everyone.

Well, I believe that recruiting strategy is on the table...according to another rumor.

But wouldn't that clear out the Oregon QB room to the portal?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I believe that recruiting strategy is on the table...according to another rumor.

But wouldn't that clear out the Oregon QB room to the portal?

Maybe, but these two are known talents.  We know both can play.  We don't know that about any of our other QBs or recruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMO any of the QBs in our barn either knows they are good enough to be part of this team or probably transfer out or possible they just like being here.

Im sure it will all buff out in the end. 

I would think TT already knows his path and if he has doubt’s weather he can be #1 one then he should leave. For some reason I have never liked his body language, just doesn’t seem as engaged in the process as he needs to be to crack #1.

Not a bad idea to bring in new blood for competition and let the better man win the job.

I'm skeptical of Dillon Gabriel . . . but I was skeptical of Bo Nix.

In Dan Lanning I trust.

• Thumbs Up 3

Kyle McCord entered the transfer portal as well. Transfer portal+nil has truly brought a free agency sense to college football.

The QB musical chairs transfers will become very interesting.  Already, there are a half dozen quality QB players out there, and likely more to come.  Nix will be extremely difficult to replace, and I think there is not one transfer out there at this point to do it.  But how do you replace a Heisman finalist?

The rumors swirl about which of these QBs are going where and who's paying what NIL. Examples are Fuskies have CB' for  Miss St. Will Rogers coming in to replace Penix, and Gabriel expecting a $2M NIL.  It will be facinating to see who ends up where, and when.

I guess we'll just have to trust Lanning to pick the best one for his needs.

Well, Gabriel was a Heisman candidate until he got hurt temporarily, while playing Kansas and that upset.

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon's NIL offerings appear to be top $ based upon results.

This should be enticing to experienced top level players...

DL and staff have done very well bringing in talent, blending with HS recruits to build depth.

I trust their decisions. Gonna be a wild December getting all the pieces in place....

It is possible that things are already in place, and they are waiting a day or two so as to avoid the appearance of "tampering?"

Best Dillon Gabriel transfer portal destinations after leaving Oklahoma  football

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Tampering? Tampering! Oh No! Say it ain't so. Tamper with a STUDENT-athlete. Never!  I jest.

Just as likely, the young man's agent is waiting for all of the bids to come in before closing down the auction. But if was just about money I don't see the Sooners boosters letting the young man get away.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It is possible that things are already in place, and they are waiting a day or two so as to avoid the appearance of "tampering?"

Best Dillon Gabriel transfer portal destinations after leaving Oklahoma  football

Oh No here comes the violations.

If there are violations, I don't see them coming from the Oregon side of things. 

But U$C......? Just ask Pitt fans about Lincoln Riley and Jordan Addison.

• Applause 1

I have a question for everyone here, is rent a QB going to be our future?

I don’t have an issue if we have no one in the wings, or our QB stable is full of mediocre players, but I don’t think that’s the case. Could this come back to bite us with QB commits?

Oregon has developed some really outstanding QBs over the years. Maybe I’m just old and this is the wave of the future for college football.

Just something I had bouncing around my brain bucket.

• Applause 1

On 12/5/2023 at 6:53 AM, TXDuck said:

For better or worse the answer is probably yes. Of our last several QBs the best were either lightly recruited 3☆s that were overlooked (Marcus and Justin), or transfers that lit up their game at Oregon (Vernon and Bo).

The 4-5☆ kids just haven't consistently panned out here. Both Marcus and Justin were dark horse recruits that wowed everyone once they got here and then developed into top 2 or 3 QBs by the time they went on to the NFL. Oregon can and has developed great QBs internally.

While we all hope TT develops and shines as OBD 2024 leader, there is a lack of optimism that he will. Maybe Moga will be the next MM. Both he and Novosad are at least a year away. Landing a Gabriel in the portal moves Oregon from a ??? entering the B1G to being a full fledged contender along with Michigan and tOSU.

• Thumbs Up 2

My bucket sloshes ND drips, but I'm hoping ŵhatever this is brings better development to the Ducks.

It's relatively apparent that the current rules have  made it almost too easy to tamper with the roster of other teams, or for greed to rule the roost.

I'd rather see a system that allows a lttie more hope and encouragement for young men like TT to stay, mature and develop.

is rent a QB going to be our future?

Often...yes.  Oregon MUST have a great QB, and you don't know until you get the high school player here and see his development.  Most will not pan out, thus, a portal transfer QB will be needed to fill the gaps.

The rumor on another site is that the coaches are pleased with the upside of Novosad, and with Luke Moga--there is talent to develop and see how they turn out.  If one of them does, (and I include TT in this) then a portal transfer will not be needed in the future.

But we need one now, and a Dillon Gabriel or Cam Ward can make us a contender immediately for 2024.

Or...I am completely clueless, don't have any idea what the coaches are thinking, and am just spouting my opinion, is all.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Often...yes.  Oregon MUST have a great QB, and you don't know until you get the high school player here and see his development.  Most will not pan out, thus, a portal transfer QB will be needed to fill the gaps.

The rumor on another site is that the coaches are pleased with the upside of Novosad, and with Luke Moga--there is talent to develop and see how they turn out.  If one of them does, (and I include TT in this) then a portal transfer will not be needed in the future.

But we need one now, and a Dillon Gabriel or Cam Ward can make us a contender immediately for 2024.

Or...I am completely clueless, don't have any idea what the coaches are thinking, and am just spouting my opinion, is all.

It’s most of our opinions Charles. We probably don’t want the portal guy but from where we sit it looks like we need it.

The pressure to win is "Now". Year in and year out. HC's get paid millions to win. The leash is short. Ducks pay theirs $7m. 

The portal give coaches an out from having to develop a QB. Why risk a losing season and millions of dollars when you can just poach another QB from the portal.

If one of the QB's Oregon has on their roster isn't ready, thats on the coaches. Some of them have all the skills to be elite and the coaches haven't performed in developing them to take over the starting roll?

So it the belief that Oregon has to go to the portal... again. What is this? The third time in a row? Why can't Oregon coaches, 2 different staffs and several OC's, develope a QB at a high level?

If Oregon has to go the road of the mercenary, QB's will eventually stop coming. These kids were recruited by these coaches and IMO, failed by these coaches.

They choose Oregon over XYZ on a belief they will be prepared to reach their highest level. That has not happened since MM, Herbert was underserved by Oregons coaching staff.

At some point I hope we can find a coach that can develope a QB. It's only Lannings second year and Steins first, so jury is still out. 🤞🤞🤞

These are just my thoughts and opinions. Most importantly, they are subject to change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Times have changed from when transfers would have to sit out a year. Back then you played who you recruited. Now with the NIL, portal and  $$$$$$$ paid to coaches and staff, it's about winning it all today not a couple years down the road. 

No more fingers crossed that a 4*-5* player pans out. Spend the big $ and get in the mix now. As a fan I like it much better being able to have a team that's going to be highly competitive year in and year out.

As a player I think it could be frustrating. It's like 3 steps forward and 2 back when you're almost the guy then they grab a player from the portal that takes your spot. 

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks have reportedly jumped out as a favorite to land a transfer from former Oklahoma QB Dillon Gabriel, per ESPN.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 2:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Look carefully at who is No. 18, No. 7, No. 3 and No. 2!

This had me all jacked up.  I just woke up and read this as the Transfer Portal QBs.  I almost fell out of my chair!

Personally - I don't like what the game is turning into and it all started with greedy coaches jumping from job to job and raiding university coffers along the way.  I guess it's fun when you're on top, but this is as far from the amateur sport we enjoyed growing up and there is little to no loyalty anymore - not from coaches, not from athletes, not from conferences, not from television partners.  If I wasn't such a Duck fan, I would be done with this.

Practically - The trend is clear: where you start is not where you'll end.  It makes absolutely no sense for 99% of high school athletes to sign with a top school because you will never see the field.  Go to a school where you will get playing time and earn yourself a $1M-$2M deal to transfer somewhere else.