Boomer

I'm Not Convinced Gabriel Will Help Oregon.

I'm not really sure he will help them to the level we all expect? he seems like a smaller fellow. I prefer Cam Ward. and find a GOOD kicker! 

Down side: He is a one and done.

Up side: He can give us one good year while the room is developed.

Slippery slope side: "Are we EVER going to trust the QBs we recruit out of HS?

Hindsight is 20/20 side: Almost everyone thought the same thing about Bo Nix. Look how that turned out.

Qué será, será side: We have no choice. It´s in DL's hands.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Watch the game highlights of Texas vs Oklahoma this year and you might change your mind.  Guy stays in the pocket, can avoid pressure and run and looks like a gamer to me.  I think our coaches know the type of player they want and I think Gabriel will be a great fit.  You also want to factor in 4-5 years of college ball.  The Quarterback position more than any other benefits from game experience.  Being able to read a defense is almost as important as their physical ability.

A lot of guys can throw the ball but very few are gamers who can read and anticipate what the defense is doing and get the ball out to the right spot.  I would bet a lot of money you won't see Oregon run out an inexperienced QB ever again unless it is forced on them because of an injury.  The level of competition is too high and the stakes too high for the team and coaches. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

Career-wise, Dillon has it all over Cam Ward. I'm not certain that with Gabriel in the mix, that Ward was even on Lanning's and Stein's radar. Dillon is a true dual-threat QB, a far better runner than Ward. A better run threat than Bo.

2018 - HS POY

2022 - 2nd team All B12. 

2023 - 1st team All B12.

2023 - 40 TDs, 12 rushing, 30 passing, 69.3 completion percentage, 6 INTs. 3660 yards passing. 252 points accounted for. Beat out Texas QB, Quinn Ewers for the 1st team QB honor. Won the 2023 Red River Rivalry game over Ewers and No. 3 Texas. 

Ward is a very good player but not at the level of Dillon. And, if Oregon can also pick up Moore, and have a season to groom him, the next 3 seasons of Oregon QB room are bright.  

It's rare to pick up a QB who was an all-conference player in a P4 conference. 

IMO, Dillon is the best 2024 QB transfer and will fit perfectly into Stein's scheme. 

DL is far from the 2024 portal finished. Oregon has a very good chance to add 4-year starter DB Mukuba from Clemson and 5* DL recruit Nolen from Texas A+M.

I have every confidence in DL successfully picking the portal with Dillon and others to come.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Gabriel sets the tone for next year. Moore would be the icing on the cake. If Gabriel got injured Moore could step in and be decent enough to win some games depending on the opponent. Getting Moore would set the Ducks up for the next 4 years. 🤞

I watched a highlight video of Gabriel. Like mentioned he's a gamer like Bo. Definitely not a drop back pocket passer. Very mobile and has a strong arm. QB will not be the weak link for the Ducks next season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Gabriel can play, make no mistake about that. Can he be at the level Nix played at Oregon? I think so but he doesn't have that second year in the system Bo was afforded. 

Gabriel is a top 5 in college football. He has played a ton of football. 50ish games. DG will have some big dudes protecting him and some elite talent to throw the ball to. He will also have a D capable of protecting a lead.

I think QB's in the future will naturally gravitate to the Fresno's and Boise st of CF. Get a couple years of development then TP out to a power 2. 

I realized this morning an interesting difference in my respose to Oregon landing an absolute dude at QB. 

With Nix I was jacked when he announced. Most QB's before him also. I don't have much of an emotional response to the "hire' of Gabriel.

Could be my disappointment with the Thompson development. Could be the "hired hand" development, IDK. Interesting though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

Gabriel can play, make no mistake about that. Can he be at the level Nix played at Oregon? I think so but he doesn't have that second year in the system Bo was afforded. 

Gabriel is a top 5 in college football. He has played a ton of football. 50ish games. DG will have some big dudes protecting him and some elite talent to throw the ball to. He will also have a D capable of protecting a lead.

I think QB's in the future will naturally gravitate to the Fresno's and Boise st of CF. Get a couple years of development then TP out to a power 2. 

I realized this morning an interesting difference in my respose to Oregon landing an absolute dude at QB. 

With Nix I was jacked when he announced. Most QB's before him also. I don't have much of an emotional response to the "hire' of Gabriel.

Could be my disappointment with the Thompson development. Could be the "hired hand" development, IDK. Interesting though.

If Dillon stays healthy he will break Bo's record for QB starts.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Have a look at Dillon Gabriel Highlights - 2023. He definitely reminds me of a Big Play VA or Masoli type. Elusive, pretty quick, and a pretty darn good arm on him. 

There are a few concerns for me, though. For instance, the throws he makes into very tight coverage. Now, you could argue that he places the ball so perfectly, that only his receivers can get it. Or... you could say that he makes dangerous throws, to which he gets bailed out frequently by his outstanding receivers. 

I haven't watched enough OU games this year, beyond the video above, to make the call. 

But if DL and Co., plus the G.O.A.T approve, well I guess we'll just need to have faith. 

It should be a pretty good month or two to watch things unfold with the TP and recruiting. One can only hope that the staff can put together something similar to this year's team. 

What more can we ask?

Go Ducks! 🦆

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

I had high hopes for TT too but 5 stars don't always mean anything,  I wish him well at his next stop but neither Mari nor 2 years of Lanning, and 3 different OC's...got him to where the coaches thought he was a starter to lead us at the level we're at (championship contender).

He looked way better this year in garbage time, but Dillon Gabriel not only gives us solid footing to be at the level we were at this year, but the portal talent he'll "bring" with him will take us even further.

Add to that, 3rd year of Lanning recruiting and seeing flashes of some of that as freshmen this season, with another year to develop...whole team will be better.  Let's get a kicker, a corner, and that aTm defensive tackle...look out B1G

Edited by JDuck
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

In Lanning I Trust!

My thinking Lanning thinks he can make Gabriel better, and Gabriel thinks he can do better at Oregon. I also like how Gabriel picked Oregon, much like Lanning did, there wasn't any doubt this is where they wanted to go. Garbiel may have wanted to end up at Oregon the whole time.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

They say the proof is in the pudding... 

After 26 games we can feel confident that DL and staff start the best players based upon game performance. Along with performamce and improvement in practice.

TT and any players leaving thru the TP had their chance(s) to earn those coveted starting spots. They didn't!

TT had 26 games,including spring ball, fall camp and weeks of practice to suplant Bo. I petsonally cant support those who feel he didn't get a fair shake.

TT didnt feel he could beat out Dillion Gabriel, so he hit the TP.

IMHO, Dillion has won on the big time national stage. Cam Ward has not. My instinct tells me DL nabbed the best QB1 available in the TP.

The days of unproven QB's starting are disappearing barring injury.

Go Ducks.....

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

no comment. self censoring

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

TT and any players leaving thru the TP had their chance(s) to earn those coveted starting spots. They didn't!

TT had 26 games,including spring ball, fall camp and weeks of practice to suplant Bo. I petsonally cant support those who feel he didn't get a fair shake.

TT didnt feel he could beat out Dillion Gabriel, so he hit the TP.

Wow! TT is no longer a Duck so I guess he is fair game. I don't think TT got a fair shake, but it's cool.

Edited by Log Haulin

I'm not sure what you are expecting from Gabriel?  I think it is very obvious that Gabriel is a proven veteran QB that greatly improved our QB situation. Our odds of competing for a B1G title have increased substantially with his addition to the team. I'm thrilled to have him join the Ducks and look forward to watching Gabriel lead OBD next fall.  

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Log Haulin I agree that TT didnt get a fair shake with the 1st team offense in game situations.

I was referring to the open competition opportunities in practices. Especially in spring and fall camps.

Those starting spots are earned and for some reason the players hitting the portal couldn't earn playing time.

I hope TT gets to the MWC or maybe a little big 12 conference team and just lights it up.

I liked TT from day 1 and am gonna still be a big TT fan. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I think that our coaches realized that Ty could not read defenses.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm convinced he will help Puddles cause from day 1.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Bo Nix was outstanding for Oregon. Dillon Gabriel should be the same. In modern football, the biggest programs have zero incentive to develop QBs anymore.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/10/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm convinced he will help Puddles cause from day 1.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Bo Nix was outstanding for Oregon. Dillon Gabriel should be the same. In modern football, the biggest programs have zero incentive to develop QBs anymore.

Agreed. Developing QB’s is likely a thing of the past, especially among those schools whose collectives have the necessary cash to spread around.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have more faith in Dillon Gabriel than I had in Bo Nix, when he announced he was transferring to Oregon.

This is not to say that Gabriel will be better than Nix was at Oregon. However, I believe that Gabriel's "floor" is higher than Bo Nix's was at that time.  Bo was undoubtedly a very talented QB; however, he had a number of bad habits that he developed at Auburn (e.g., pressing to make big plays, instead of checking down, leading to interceptions).  To his credit, working with the Oregon coaching staff, Bo really improved all aspects of his game and learned to play within the system and trust his playmakers.  He will go down as one of the best QBs to ever play at Oregon.

Dillon Gabriel is one of the best returning college QBs next year in terms of yards, TDs, passing efficiency, etc.  Three of the players who ranked higher than him were in NY for the Heisman Trophy ceremony.  Dillon won 10 games at Oklahoma last year, including beating playoff bound Texas.  Gabriel currently sits #8 all time in NCAA passing yards.

He is a fantastic QB and, if he stays healthy, will do fantastic things at Oregon. This is a hit it out of the park grand slam for Oregon football.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

Dillon Gabriel is coming to Eugene. Cam Ward is not. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:07 PM, Drake said:

Dillon Gabriel is coming to Eugene. Cam Ward is not. 

And it sounds like our coaches preferred Gabriel over Ward. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, Boomer said:

I'm not really sure he will help them to the level we all expect? he seems like a smaller fellow. I prefer Cam Ward. and find a GOOD kicker! 

No offense. I sure hope you're wrong.

• Great post! 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Career-wise, Dillon has it all over Cam Ward. I'm not certain that with Gabriel in the mix, that Ward was even on Lanning's and Stein's radar. Dillon is a true dual-threat QB, a far better runner than Ward. A better run threat than Bo.

2018 - HS POY

2022 - 2nd team All B12. 

2023 - 1st team All B12.

2023 - 40 TDs, 12 rushing, 30 passing, 69.3 completion percentage, 6 INTs. 3660 yards passing. 252 points accounted for. Beat out Texas QB, Quinn Ewers for the 1st team QB honor. Won the 2023 Red River Rivalry game over Ewers and No. 3 Texas. 

Ward is a very good player but not at the level of Dillon. And, if Oregon can also pick up Moore, and have a season to groom him, the next 3 seasons of Oregon QB room are bright.  

It's rare to pick up a QB who was an all-conference player in a P4 conference. 

IMO, Dillon is the best 2024 QB transfer and will fit perfectly into Stein's scheme. 

DL is far from the 2024 portal finished. Oregon has a very good chance to add 4-year starter DB Mukuba from Clemson and 5* DL recruit Nolen from Texas A+M.

I have every confidence in DL successfully picking the portal with Dillon and others to come.

I sure hope you're right my friend.  You're usually on point, and I'm hoping we replace some top performers with top performers.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Wow! TT is no longer a Duck so I guess he is fair game. I don't think TT got a fair shake, but it's cool.

I do believe TT took too long to develop.  He looked better this year.  But the standard is high when it comes to reaching the playoffs and winning a title.

Can we honestly say TT can make plays consistently, be clutch damn near all the time, and bring OBD back from 11 and  17 point deficits against a top five team?

I just don't see that.  I'm not quite sure he can even "jump in the F1 and drive it like a seasoned Indy car vet".  

He's got two years.  Go somewhere like Texas Tech, Vandy,  or SMU and do some damage?  The guy would instantly be a TP wanna have his senior year. 

Same goes for the backups/formerly high rated recruits.  I expect to see some sizzle and momentum come Spring.  The bar is high, and since the guys want to be considered pros, they better perform like them.  They sure are getting paid like them.  

One last thing: if you're getting paid as a highly ranked recruit ( like some are), you better have a QB guru.  Otherwise, you're going to lose that money.  Too bad I don't have the time or complete skills myself, I believe I could simply take some of the great takes from here and help a QB out lol.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know...I am not convinced that Boomer is an Oregon fan.  The guy has not posted in nearly a year, and when he did before--we have to delete one of them.

This might be an opposing school fan trying to raise doubt, trying to throw shade on Oregon's successes.  My fellow OBD members--I apologize for not taking the time to research this further.  I should have immediately when it was first posted.

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/10/2023 at 3:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If Dillon stays healthy he will break Bo's record for QB starts.

His VA like elusiveness is exciting. He only threw 6 INTs and he's airing it out down the field with accuracy and extremely capability.  He definitely has what it takes, now let's cross our fingers and hope he delivers.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

You hit the nail on the head. Unless you are one of the big money guys out of highschool going to a school with an open spot your way better off starting at lesser school and catching the payday later.

• Applause 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:01 PM, Mike West said:

I do believe TT took too long to develop.  He looked better this year.  But the standard is high when it comes to reaching the playoffs and winning a title.

Can we honestly say TT can make plays consistently, be clutch damn near all the time, and bring OBD back from 11 and  17 point deficits against a top five team?

I just don't see that.  I'm not quite sure he can even "jump in the F1 and drive it like a seasoned Indy car vet".  

Do you think MC and Oregon had something to do with that? Look at TVD and Herbert under MC. 

TT also had a Heisman candidate brought in a take opportunity from him.

What bothers me is a lot of people are borderline dumping on Ty. I think Oregon more than Ty had something to do with his lacking development.

Oh well, everyone is moving on now.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You know...I am not convinced that Boomer is an Oregon fan

Probably a beaver fan. A boomer is a beaver.

I dont think Lanning and Co. cared for Ward.  He has seen him up close and knows what he can and cant do...

I can tell you one person who knows they are gonna need to hit the weight room this off-season....the push-up count next season with Gabriel is gonna get ridiculous.

oregon-ducks-mascot-history-scaled.jpg.5df67420539ab66c2aeed3ea1bb10276.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2023 at 8:25 AM, Lrod said:

I dont think Lanning and Co. cared for Ward.  He has seen him up close and knows what he can and cant do...

Cam Ward is a heck of a QB and will do well next year.  I have heard that he is inconsistent and perhaps that is why our coaches appeared to favor Dillon Gabriel.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, Drake said:

Probably a beaver fan. A boomer is a beaver.

Boomer is an OKLAHOMA appelation...

I have never heard a flat tailed pond slapper referred to as a boomer.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:25 AM, Lrod said:

I dont think Lanning and Co. cared for Ward. 

DL has talked about having a rolodex of potential candidates for the inevitable coaching vacancies that will occur as a successful Oregon program produces new OCs, DCs and HCs.

I'm sure that coaches like DL have files compiled by staffers that look at each portal player at QB. Stats, strengths, liabilities, etc. Adaptability to the offensive scheme as well. They are probably then ranked in order of who can help the Ducks now and who can be developed.

My bet is that Gabriel was #1 on that first list and Ward either #2 or #3. Moore has got to be #1 on that second list. To be complete, the current QB room would be fit in. TT must have been #2 at best if Gabriel or Ward were avaliable.

You go out and get the best player you can to fill a position of need. It's analytics and probabilities. I think DL and staff would have offered Ward if Gabriel had gone elsewhere. Moore will likely be offered as #1 on the development list if he truly wants to be brought into a system where he can be mentored by a great offensive staff and a top notch veteran QB.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It turns out that Boomer will not directly answer questions about his story as an Oregon fan, and he has informed me that he intends to "write whatever he wants."

Not here you won't!

We have to assume he is a Troll from another school, and I have prevented him from posting again. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2023 at 8:59 AM, woundedknees said:

Boomer is an OKLAHOMA appelation...

A boomer is a mountain beaver:

"One of the world’s most unusual and archaic rodents is the Mountain beaver, Boomer or Sewellel, a chunky-bodied, short-limbed rodent of the North American Pacific Northwest, known to scientists as Aplodontia rufa."

Boomer Hill is in Douglas county, just off I-5.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:08 AM, Jon Sousa said:

A boomer is a mountain beaver:

"One of the world’s most unusual and archaic rodents is the Mountain beaver, Boomer or Sewellel, a chunky-bodied, short-limbed rodent of the North American Pacific Northwest, known to scientists as Aplodontia rufa."

Boomer Hill is in Douglas county, just off I-5.

We learn from each other all the time!  Thanks Jon...

BTW..."Boomer" cursed me with words in an email not allowed on this forum.  He gone...

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Imagine a Beaver fan casting doubt on Oregon quarterbacks?

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Friend, Boomer. Is that Boomer as in Sooner? 

Gabriel will be the best QB in the B1G in 2024, including Michigan's McCarthy if he returns to the Wolverines. 

Oregon is adding the B12 Power 4 conference 1st string All B12 QB. And this won't help Oregon?

Which QB do you trust more opening up in DG's home state of Hawaii? DG with 4 years of starting experience or Ty?

Boomer has been a problem years. Should have never been allowed on the boat.

image.png.1f2b783c811f5fc523cd2fe098c25e26.png

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Charles, thank you. Better Sooner than later.

I wonder if Boomer is still ticked off over USC poaching Riley? 

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Five Things to Know About New Oregon QB Dillon Gabriel

Dan Lanning and the Ducks got some huge news over the weekend when former Oklahoma quarterback Dillon Gabriel announced his commitment to Oregon following a visit to campus. 

Gabriel will join the Ducks and replace Bo Nix after spending the last five seasons between UCF and Oklahoma before landing in Eugene. 

Here are five things to know about Oregon's first commitment from the transfer portal this offseason...

To access the info in the article, click here.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

BTW..."Boomer" cursed me with words in an email not allowed on this forum.  He gone...

I’m shocked that his/her charm didn’t win you over…

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, OregonDucks said:

I’m shocked that his/her charm didn’t win you over…

That is true, especially considering how much patience I have for this.

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

I'm still LOL over the above, 'Get Off My Porch GIF."

And this is a bit OT. 

On today's B1G Network: Team you are most excited about coming into the B1G in 2024?

Urban Meyer - "Oregon. Oregon will bring speed on both sides of the ball that the B1G better be ready for."

The new B1G match-up game are most looking forward to in 2024?

Urban Meyer. "Ohio State at Oregon. In one of the toughest places to play in the USA."

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

About 2 years ago I wrote on here that I thought Bo Nix was going to be a star for us.  He hadn't been great for Auburn, but looking at his film you could see had the ability.  Dillan Gabriel is a proven star already, and will pick up where Bo left off.  All my OU peeps love Gabriel.  Say he is a great person and great QB.  He has those intangibles Bo has.  OUUO   it's quite the palindrome.

• Oh no! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

A more durable and skilled version of Big Play VA?

Sign me up, please!

Without the untimely injuries, Oregon's potential was off the charts with Adams at the helm, and the Ducksappear to have much more depth across the board than the 2015 version.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That is true, especially considering how much patience I have for this.

giphy.gif

LOL. Dan Lanning should sign him up for our kicker next year. He has some power in that leg. Wonder how his accuracy is?

Did anyone watch the Dallas Cowboys kicker last night, who was a MLS player? He made field goals from 50, 59 and 60 yards and the announcers said that he hit the crossbars on a couple of kickoffs. I didn’t see the 60 yarder but the 59 had plenty of leg to spare. Dude is insane. 

• Applause 1