Charles Fischer

Update: Jan. 22 News on Lock-Down Corner Transfer Jabbar Muhammad

See the latest at the end of this thread....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon already got an experienced corner in the transfer portal, and was good, but when a talent this good in Muhammad becomes available...you take your shot. This guy could truly shut down anyone at USC or Ohio State, and could be a massive difference in a defense where ever he decides to land.

It appears to be an Oregon-Texas battle, and he has finished visiting Oregon, and will visit Texas on Wednesday-Thursday of this week.  He is from Desoto, Texas but it appears there are issues with some credits being able to transfer to the Longhorns, while a transfer to the Ducks would be smooth.

Muhammad was interested in Oregon from the beginning, yet he will be on a highly ranked team with either choice and NIL may weigh into it.  Oregon will be fine without him, but he would be the best cover-corner in the room if he decided to be a Duck.  And there would probably be some transfer casualties among one or more young-gun corners if this happens.

I have been withholding up to this moment, and I will say that this Husky-Bastard was pretty damn good against us, and rather than face him again--I would welcome him on our team as we have other former Huskies.  You can't hold it against them for being Huskies when they make the smart decision to leave...

JHOP at the other site gives us a slight 60-40 edge, but this is before the Texas visit.  We'll find out in the next week, but it is good-or-good for Our Beloved Ducks.

image.png

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Texas / Duck battle, so he will either be with us or not against us until crunch time.

P.S. Let's hope he pulls a "Bo" and beats us and then joins us.

• Thumbs Up 2

He really stood out in the games against the mutts. Hate to say it but he did the best job of covering Franklin all year and when I saw he entered the portal I was really hoping he'd take the short trip down the I-5 to Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good luck on this one. Ducks could use a shut-down corner. Is there any positive feedback stemming from his visit? If so after visiting a rival, that may portend very well for the decision.

• Thanks 1

Wasn't pleased how grabby he was playing against him....

However... he didn't seem to get called too often for how much contact he made. So I guess I'm fine with it.

I would just love the amount of pain it would do to the Husky fan base at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe after transferring from OK St to UW he has 1 season of eligibility remaining. Gonzales anyone?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2024 at 11:43 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Gonzales anyone?

That was my thought as well!  

Speaking of Gonzalez, how awesome is it to see him on the commercials (part of the Por La Cultura series) during the NFL playoffs wearing the all yellow Duck uniform!?  No Colorado, just OBD!!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When asked who was recruiting him? Jabbar Muhammad answered...

"Everybody. Literally everybody. From Coach [Rashad] Wadood to Coach Tosh [Lupoi], Coach [Dan] Lanning calls me every day. I've never had that. Facetimes me literally every day. I spoke with the OC yesterday. It's wild how connected and together those guys are."

image.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

The NEW key word associated with Oregon recruiting?  STABILITY

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Coach Martin leaving might hurt this opportunity 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:45 PM, Lono said:

Rumors, nothing confirmed.  If true, I have a pretty high confidence in Lanning hiring a great new DB coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sorry to see this happen.  Wonder what enticed him go other than it being his alma mater maybe?

BREAKING: Oregon cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin to take job at Michigan State

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks’ cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin is expected to leave Eugene and join the coaching staff at Michigan State.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon CB coach Demetrice Martin is off to Michigan State.

Is Martin leaving?

EDIT- just saw the post with the link to the article.

Edited by Augduck

On 1/16/2024 at 4:56 PM, Augduck said:

Is Martin leaving?

Yes, according to reports in above post.

Writing was on the wall with his son transferring out a couple weeks ago. You know DL will be filling his seat with another amazing coach.

Unfortunately part of being a top tier program is having our coaches poached. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No spinning good from this.  He is a proven great coach, and fantastic recruiter.   But he did not leave the cupboard bare here, and we thank him for that and his time at Oregon.  Godspeed.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Word on Duck Territory is that the players love Coach Wadood and giving him shout outs on the recruiting trail. I'd expect him to be promoted to Coach Meat's position soon.

247SPORTS.COM

Rashad Wadood is the Assistant Coach (Defense) for the Oregon Ducks

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/16/2024 at 2:01 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Word on Duck Territory is that the players love Coach Wadood and giving him shout outs on the recruiting trail. I'd expect him to be promoted to Coach Meat's position soon.

Noted that Muhammad mentioned Wadood recruiting him but not Coach Meat. I'll bet that this move was anticipated. Sorry to see him go but hopefully existing DBs and recruits were in the know and we won't see a lot of movement of players. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/16/2024 at 3:43 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Noted that Muhammad mentioned Wadood recruiting him but not Coach Meat. I'll bet that this move was anticipated. Sorry to see him go but hopefully existing DBs and recruits were in the know and we won't see a lot of movement of players. 

The vibe I’m getting is that promoting Wadood would please the players.

I think Lanning knows a thing or two about the potential of highly motivated defensive recruiting machines!

On 1/16/2024 at 1:45 PM, Lono said:

Probably not... Lanning, Lupoi are both in the recruitment.

But also the key here is that Wadood is also in on the recruiting. He is a Grad Assistant at the moment but he may become the new CB coach. I'd probably venture a guess and say there is one person who has not been working on his recruitment and that is probably Coach Meat because Lanning has probably known for a while now that he was going to take that MSU job.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:02 PM, David Marsh said:

Wasn't pleased how grabby he was playing against him....

However... he didn't seem to get called too often for how much contact he made.

He is a jedi master at holding.  He is really really good at doing it without getting caught.  I hated him last year!  🤣

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Updates:

On 1/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, Augduck said:

Updates:

It does still mean that they have one more coaching spot so someone is getting hired/promoted somewhere.

If OBD can get their secondary wired their D is going to be nasty.  IMHO, the secondary has been the Achilles Heel of this team (from depth, experience and quality).  Having two corners - with one being a lockdown - has to take pressure off the safeties and will allow the DL to get home and/or be stout against the run. 

That was why the Legion of Boom made the Seahawks’ D so formidable.  

Second, it’s great to see the ‘stability’ and ‘loyalty’ narrative start to take hold.  The program has had a lot of HC churn and with DL making clear he is in it to win it over the long term, it will be interesting to see how that boosts recruiting even more.  

For example, how much of a factor did that play for Dante Moore?  Development is a lot about having a consistent staff.  IDK if it came up explicitly but I would be curious if it was an implied factor in the Ducks’ favor.  

• Applause 1

From where I sit, Muhammad is a great player, an excellent defender . . . he's a stud and was one of the Huskies' best this last season.  I would love it if he defected and became a Duck! 😉

Very good player, probably got away with holding/PI more than any other DB in the country, hopefully he'll get the same favorable call if goes to the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Friday, January 19th Update:

I was wrong about him visiting Oregon recently, as Muhammad has NOT visited, and will visit next weekend after his Texas and Alabama visits.  It is good that we are last, and that he was not here during the terrible weather.  (Although Seattle had it too)

From a Texas site this morning....

“Finally, on Jabbar Muhammad; The Washington transfer arrived in Tuscaloosa last night as expected. He’s still scheduled to visit Oregon before making a decision. That’s no surprise, Oregon became the immediate favorite upon Muhammad entering the portal.

Here’s my read on this recruitment. If it’s pure NIL, Oregon will remain the favorite. If normal market value, or even a little above, is okay, then Texas has a good chance when factoring for its other advantages. Alabama would surprise me the most but I’m not discounting a Tide institution with its back against the wall.”

National On3 Writer, Gerry Hamilton, who used to be with Inside Texas puts his odds of 65% that Muhammad will sign with the Ducks.

JHOP at ScoopDuck still thinks that, "Oregon can get it done."

image.png

We will not know for another week or so....

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon Set to Host Washington CB Jabbar Muhammad Ahead of Commitment

Dan Lanning and the Ducks look like they'll get their chance as the last visit for Muhammad before he makes his final decision. He had previously told Ducks Digest that he wanted to make his commitment this week, but it looks like his timeline is getting pushed back to allow him to see what Oregon has to offer.

"They got everything you need to be successful and like I said that's kind of like exactly what I'm looking for at the end of the day," he said of his Oregon interest in a recent interview. "They have stability there. Obviously with Coach Lanning turning down jobs and everything. Oregon's building something really special."

Transfer portal recruitments are extremely fluid and can change in an instant. So I wouldn't be surprised if this trip got moved up to earlier next week. But right now it looks like you shouldn't count out the Ducks for Muhammad.

https://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article284464595.html#storylink=rss

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

image.png

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Spin from Alabama....  (This could be applied to Eugene as well)

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

Whoa!

Mr. FishDuck

Do we know if Dan visited him last night?  

On 1/21/2024 at 12:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Whoa

Looks like Alabama may be stepping up to the plate with a basket of NIL $$$. Cornerback is one of the most difficult positions on defense. Would be nice to have this guy in a Ducks uniform. 

If the Ducks are not able to close the deal, then our young talent gets more playing time. In the end, this is the only way for a young DB to learn and perhaps surprise us all. 

10/5/24. J Smith on the opposite sideline? Nothing new. But Coach Martin to Sparty? No comprende.

Heard Coach Martin leaving was NOT a surprise.   No additional details.   

Coach Martin played at Michigan State...

Below is from a Texas board this morning, (Jan. 22nd) and both they and Alabama refer to Oregon being in it.  Nail the visit this next weekend, Dano!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jabbar Muhammad, CB, Washington via Oklahoma State, via DeSoto (Texas)

The pursuit of the All-Pac-12 cornerback continues after he wrapped up his visit to Alabama over the weekend. First he stopped in Austin, then Tuscaloosa, and he’ll finish his trips at Oregon this week.

Texas has a lot to offer the high-level college product, including family, proximity, and a playing for a strong defense heading into 2024.

Alabama might have more with the chance to be a No. 1 corner in Tuscaloosa after the Tide lost Terrion Arnold and Kool-Aid McKinstry. He also familiarity with Kalen DeBoer’s staff from his time at Washington.

Oregon is one to watch. They are doing NIL at a high level and also have holes in the secondary that Muhammad could fill easily.

Muhammad is looking for one more season to build his draft stock. For some transfer portal prospects, it’s about getting a new start at a new place. For others like Muhammad, it’s finding the best spot where he wouldn’t likely come off the field too much.

With Oregon and Alabama, he’d likely start and rarely miss snaps. With Texas, they already have a strong cornerback room with Malik Muhammad and Terrance Brooks. His rep allocation could ultimately decide where Muhammad plays in 2024.

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Is he referring to Muhammad?

• Let’s hope! 2

Mr. FishDuck

I don't necessarily love the observation; but, it's not holding unless there is a flag. If there isn't a flag, shake the DBs hand and move to the next down.

I've always liked Dontae Manning but he is like the opposite of JM, he gets flags for breathing on a guy wrong. An unexpected benefit of JM might be the Jedi training playing along side a guy like JM might help DM. It's not exactly rocket science but when Rodrick Pleasant (a very elite high school sprinter) was asked about fast guys on the Duck team, I believe DM was the first guy he mentioned (along with Tez and Devon J). Maybe a bit interesting.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 1/22/2024 at 4:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Is he referring to Muhammad?

Would be surprised if he was referring to Jabbar.  

Usually DL does the initial tweet.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Kool-Aid McKinstry

Presented without comment 😍

On 1/17/2024 at 5:39 PM, spartan2785 said:

Very good player, probably got away with holding/PI more than any other DB in the country, hopefully he'll get the same favorable call if goes to the Ducks.

Remember we're going to the B1G, look at how the Michigan DBs played against UW. They don't call much in the B1G. I wish they called more personally.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:13 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Presented without comment 😍

Sorry not following 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:24 PM, Augduck said:

Sorry not following 

It’s a monumentally cool name. 

• Like 1