Charles Fischer

Pennsylvania Duck: This Forum, the World, Has Suffered a Great Loss

Our own Pennsylvania Duck, Kim Paczesniak, died on this last Sunday April 14th from COVID, and treatment complications.  I cannot begin to convey the feelings that I have, and especially that of Joe Perkins, (NJDuck) who worked closely with Kim to coordinate the postings of articles every day.

Kim cannot be replaced in this world, or on this forum.  Her love and genuine caring for everyone was present in every phone call, and the hundreds of hours of dedicated service given to the members and readers of this forum cannot be understated. I recall telling her many times at between the times of 1:00 AM and 2:00 AM Eastern time--to go to bed and we'll figure out how to post the rest of the game articles from the evening later.

It was one of tons of examples of how she took her volunteer commitment very seriously, and how we all benefited from it.

I am beside myself, trying to understand and accept the loss of Kim.  It is common at Autzen Stadium before football games to have a moment of silence to honor those who have fallen in service of others.  After posting this, I will take until tomorrow at this time to refrain from posting as my own day of tribute (From the 17th to the 18th at 10:00 AM) to this wonderful and remarkable Oregon fan.

From Mark Paczesniak, Kim's Husband:

Kim's life is a great American story.  Born in Singapore (02/20/1952), Kim's mother took her back (as an infant) to their home village in rural south China, where her mother soon died (Mark and Kim don't know why).  She was then living with maternal family members until she was smuggled out to Hong Kong when she was two years old, living there with a grandmother until she was seven years old.

Arrangements were made for her to be sent to America to be raised by a maternal aunt and her husband in Salem, Oregon.  Timmy and Wanda Yee raised Kim as her parents, where she graduated from South Salem high school in 1970.  Working two jobs every summer (cannery and waitress), Kim paid her way through the University of Oregon, graduating in 1974.

Kim excelled in customer service, and then into outside sales with Owens Corning Fiberglass, and later into sales management with Certain Teed Corp.  It was very unusual (at that time) for a female to rise to such a level of authority.  This led to a corporate promotion in marketing at company headquarters in Valley Forge, PA (1986).

Our first son, Mitch, was born in 1990 and our second son, Joe, was born in 1992, at which time Kim stepped out of the workforce to be a full time mom.  When Joe started kindergarten at at our local grade school Kim started a whole new career.  For 25 years Kim worked in learning support as a teacher's assistant.  This last year of illness was her first year of retirement.

She was my one and only for 50 years. (Married for 47)  Never a bad day.

From Joe Perkins, NJDuck

Kim was a wonderful person whom I got to know personally working side by side with her, bringing in pertinent news worthy informative articles for Oregon fans, stimulating many tremendous conversations on the OBD.

She was kind and generous to a fault, giving so much of her time and energy to bring enjoyment to our beloved site.  My life was enriched because of knowing her. I am having my helmet avatar changed to Kim’s, celebrating her life, keeping her memory alive on the OBD.

Kim was one of a kind and will be forever missed!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Salute 3
  • Oh no! 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 22

Mr. FishDuck

So very sad. May Kim's spirit be blessed.

• Like 3

Godspeed Kim...Godspeed.

• Like 2

What a loss to this world. My condolences to Mark and everyone who knew her personally.

• Like 1

Shocking and tragic, thinking good thoughts for Kim and her family 😢

• Like 1

Extremely sad news to read Charles.

Tragic loss to all followers of the site. I thoroughly enjoyed the threads from our beloved PennsylvaniaDuck.

She will be missed by more than she knew. Having lost a mother and a sister in the last month, I feel Mark’s pain a little more acutely than perhaps I would have a couple months ago.

• Like 2

Oh, this is awful news. So very sad to here. 

• Like 1

She did so much for everyone here. What a great person she was. 

• Like 1

My deepest condolences to the Paczesniak family.  

• Like 2

I did not know Kim’s last name until now.  Mark’s Dad, Walt Paczesniak was one of the great football coaches at Marshfield, Coos Bay, where I played,  Walt also was my US History teacher.  He had a wonderful sense of humor.  He used to tell us: “You think that nose is for smelling.  When you get in the Army you’ll find out that nose is for digging.”

Very sad time for Mark.  I wish him and family the very best.

• Wow 1
  • Like 1

I received a message today from Mark Pacześniak.  He wanted to thank us for the kind tribute toward Kim on OBD.  He also mentioned that anyone who knew Kim in college would have known her as Kim Yee, a sociology major and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

RIP, PennsylvaniaDuck!

You will be missed!

The epitome of the "American Dream".

Kim’s efforts and dedication to this board will be missed.

She’s irreplaceable.

The hours she spent making this board so enjoyable for the rest of us is just another example of her “giving back,” something she did throughout her life.

• Like 3

Ugh—I have no words. She will be missed. 💔

What tragic news. Kim seemed like a person with a kind heart. Her dedication to providing interesting and informative content to this forum was a big factor towards contributing to the excellent commentary and discussion on a wide variety of Duck related topics.She will be very much missed by the Duck community.

RIP Kim. You were and will always be an outstanding Duck.

• Like 1

Life is short. Don't just be nice to each other when sad news like this reminds us of how much we miss a loved one when they pass. Be kind everyday. As Mark wrote about his lovely wife passing, be there for each other.

We can argue, get angry at each other. But don't let those silly things break up wonderful friendships, or whatever relationship you have. Be kind, be thoughtful. Remember today is a gift, and treat it as such. Give forgiveness, a friendly word. A couple bucks to a soul in need. As Kim lived her life, and is now in that great Duck pond above. Don't just wish her family well. Do it to everyone you know. 

Our body's are mortal. Our souls aren't. RIP Kim. Your life left a positive mark on your loved ones. Thank you!!

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Kim,  through hard work, dedication, and her love for the Ducks, as well as what this forum stands for, made this a better place for all of us.

• Like 1

How very sad. Condolences to all her family and friends.

What an amazing life and her legacy continues.  My thoughts and prayers for the whole family.

RIP

Thank you so much for your tireless work, Kim.  Loving embraces from all of us at OBD.  You will be sorely missed. 

May your God's love hold onto you always.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Kim, you will be missed.

Condolences to the loved ones of Pennsylvania Duck. May she rest in peace.

It is the work of dedicated OBD members like Pennsylvania Duck/Kim Yee that make this the best Oregon fan forum, hands down. She is and will be missed by all. May her family be blessed by her life and memory.

Definitely shoes that will never be filled. Rest in peace PD. 

Edited by Krsmqn