FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Undefeated Season Incoming?

Our Oregon Ducks football program is currently favored (along with Notre Dame) to go undefeated through the regular season. The College Football Playoff is certainly a different story, though that sort of praise from the media early in the offseason places a massive target on the Ducks’ backs to be the proverbial “team to beat” in 2024. While this doesn’t necessarily ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program is currently favored (along with Notre Dame) to go undefeated through the regular season. The...
  • Let’s hope! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Going undefeated no longer matters, 10 wins in the B1G gets a playoff birth. "Every game matters" mantra no longer applies. 

At Wiskey in late Nov? At the Big House? V. tOSU? B1G champ game? 

Ducks could go undefeated... sure  Odds are greater for a 9 win season than a 12 win season. DL needs to show more with in game coaching to get to 12 wins.

I no longer care about an undefeated season. Ten or eleven gets the job done. The rest is just bragging rights.

Edited by Log Haulin
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

It would be essential to get a first round bye or at least home field. So win as many as we can. 

Alex, I am glad to see someone else stick their neck out first.  The schedule is tough, but this will be an incredible team that Oregon will put on the field, and one that could go undefeated.  In fact my prediction is that we will go undefeated through the regular season, and in the B1G Championship.  

We will end up as the national No. 2 Seed behind Georgia, who we will meet in the 'Natty.  That is as far as I go, since that is enough of a stretch!

giphy.gif

I do agree with you Alex, that being undefeated would give Oregon the swagger needed going forward, and would show continued progress under Dan Lanning.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The strategy is to win every game one at a time. Although predictions are fun they just don’t mean much.

If ya think they could go undefeated then a trip to the local bookie might be the thing to do today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Every team is undefeated so far; getting an over-confident fan base is easy. As a card-carrying old person, I've had my heart broken too many times to even speculate about things like an undefeated season. I'd rather keep my expectations low and be happily surprised, than be whapped upside the head with a disappointing loss.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Maize and Blue's take on six games that will impact the 2024 season. One-third of the listed games involve the Ducks.

Undefeated? With the 11th most difficult SOS in the nation and 8 games in a row without a break including playing in the Big House and Madison, Wisconsin in November. That's a B1G ask. 

WWW.MAIZENBREW.COM

There will be major implications all year long in the Big Ten.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/17/2024 at 8:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That is as far as I go

Come on Charles: take off the floaties, jump in the deep end; fill the glass two halves full and just say it . . . undefeated National Champs

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2

It's fun to speculate given how much OBD have going for it right now.  But there are still unknowns, the biggest being how quickly Dillon Gabriel gets comfortable with the offense.  Let's see how things are going after the first 4 weeks or so.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would never predict any team to go undefeated. UW should have lost to ASU at home last year, the same team we beat without breaking a sweat on the road. Going undefeated is a huge accomplishment but also takes luck.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

The books like Oregon to finish 11-1. The Ducks are the dogs only vs Ohio State with the Buckeyes currently -1. With the 3-point home bump for the home team, and Autzen is likely worth more than 3 points, Ohio State is closer to -4. 

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Sports wagering has taken over much of the American landscape over the past few years, and college football is no different. Circa Sports has released their College Football Games of the Year...

Which B12 QB will have the better season? Dillon Gabriel or Will Howard? 

What will the game weather conditions be in Ann Arbor and Madison in November? 

Will the football gods be kind when it comes to injuries? 

Will the Ohio State D be as dominant as it looks on paper? Will Michigan's D be able to carry the Wolverines?

No matter how good a team looks on paper in the preseason, over 12 games how will the ball bounce? FanDuel has the Oregon Over/Under at 10.5. The Ducks have to go 11-1 to collect. As much as I love OBD, this is a B1G preseason ask. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/17/2024 at 8:52 AM, Log Haulin said:

Going undefeated no longer matters, 10 wins in the B1G gets a playoff birth. "Every game matters" mantra no longer applies. 

Ducks could go undefeated... sure  Odds are greater for a 9 win season than a 12 win season. DL needs to show more with in game coaching to get to 12 wins.

I no longer care about an undefeated season. Ten or eleven gets the job done. The rest is just bragging rights.

Every Game Matters? Don't ask an FSU fan. Spot on, no 13-0 P4 conference champion will be left behind. But will a 4-loss conference champion be in and seeded in the top 4?

The Ducks are -1, vs. Ohio State.  

Would Oregon be better off going 10-2 and playing in the conference champ game with the Committee possibly looking at a 10-3 finish, or finishing 10-2 with an excellent SOS without traveling to Indianapolis to play for the B1G title? With the new Playoff format, playing in the conference champ game could be a curse as much as a blessing. Will the Committee decide that 10-3 Texas lost twice to Georgia so there is no reason to allow a 3-loss SEC conference runner-up to be in the field? 

The final Committee vote and the seeding with the ACC and B12 champs in the top 4 and earning a 1st-round bye will cause a run on Pepto Bismal. 

On 6/17/2024 at 12:45 PM, jrw said:

Every team is undefeated so far; getting an over-confident fan base is easy. As a card-carrying old person, I've had my heart broken too many times to even speculate about things like an undefeated season. I'd rather keep my expectations low and be happily surprised, than be whapped upside the head with a disappointing loss.

Bowls, Polls, and Tattered (old) souls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You never know. Coming into the final round of the US Open, Rory McElroy was 496 for 496 on the season for putts 3 feet or less. McElroy birdied 4 of 5 holes to take a two-shot lead before bogeying 3 of the last 4 holes in a crushing defeat.

The only 'good news?' Rory earned $2.3M for his second-place finish.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Every Game Matters? Don't ask an FSU fan. Spot on, no 13-0 P4 conference champion will be left behind. But will a 4-loss conference champion be in and seeded in the top 4?

The Ducks are -1, vs. Ohio State.  

Would Oregon be better off going 10-2 and playing in the conference champ game with the Committee possibly looking at a 10-3 finish, or finishing 10-2 with an excellent SOS without traveling to Indianapolis to play for the B1G title? With the new Playoff format, playing in the conference champ game could be a curse as much as a blessing. Will the Committee decide that 10-3 Texas lost twice to Georgia so there is no reason to allow a 3-loss SEC conference runner-up to be in the field? 

The final Committee vote and the seeding with the ACC and B12 champs in the top 4 and earning a 1st-round bye will cause a run on Pepto Bismal. 

ND is part of the long play here, I believe they can never get a bye?

But yeah, conference championship should get you in, not an auto-bye. If a P2 runner up is like 13-1 and has to go play a fresh 9-4 KSU, there could be some alterations down the road 😆 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

Ver’ bad drink Jobu’s rum.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 3:24 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Ver’ bad drink Jobu’s rum.

Are you tellin' me JC can't hit a curve ball?

• Mic drop 1

Correct, no bye available for ND. For the next 2 seasons, ND can be seeded only as high as No. 5. ND has no risk of losing a 13th data point champ game. The PO 5th seed will host a 1st round game vs the G5 representative. 

ND opens at TX A+M, finishes at USC, and plays FSU and Louisville in South Bend. How's this for Brutal? No. (we are not that) Illinois, Purdue, a close-by cupcake chomping, Miami (not mari(o), but Ohio,) Stanford, Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Army, Navy but no Air Force, so no Commander in Chief Trophy for the Domers. An impressive SEC-like 4 G5 opponents. 

Come 2026, ND should be required to play 13 games with at least 10 against P4 competition. 

I gotta say, thinking the Ducks could go undefeated in their inaugural year in the B1G, with such a difficult SOS...

...is simply amazing. Amazing!

We have come a very long way.

While I believe we can win every game, doing so requires some fortunate bounces along the way. Besides reasons suggested by others, I think tOSU is going to be really tough.

That new OC of theirs really knows how to get the most from his qb.

By the time Oct.12 gets here, their offense will be hitting on all cylinders. It will be one great game.

The injury bug is always a concern, but we've never been this deep, especially the qb room.

It seems we have guys at every position ready, wanting, to be the next man up.

Can't wait to get started. Bring on the Vandals!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, DanLduck said:

I gotta say, thinking the Ducks could go undefeated in their inaugural year in the B1G, with such a difficult SOS...

...is simply amazing. Amazing!

We have come a very long way.

While I believe we can win every game, doing so requires some fortunate bounces along the way. Besides reasons suggested by others, I think tOSU is going to be really tough.

That new OC of theirs really knows how to get the most from his qb.

By the time Oct.12 gets here, their offense will be hitting on all cylinders. It will be one great game.

The injury bug is always a concern, but we've never been this deep, especially the qb room.

It seems we have guys at every position ready, wanting, to be the next man up.

Can't wait to get started. Bring on the Vandals!

Great take. I'm not certain Dante Moore agrees with your evaluation of Chip's QB coaching skills. 😍

Your concerns about going undie are spot on.

College Football News preseason review of Oregon. At 10-2 or better, the Ducks will be in the playoff and host a 1st-round game.

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/oregon-college-football-preview-2024-key-players-game-schedule-season-predictions

• Applause 2

On 6/17/2024 at 9:45 AM, jrw said:

The one time I was semi confident the Ducks would go undefeated in the regular season, my son lived in Las Vegas... I dropped $20 on it at the new sports book near his home, and left the ticket with him.

Ducks came through, and he got a month worth of rent money out of it.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 5:52 AM, Log Haulin said:

I still think that the team to win it all in any given year can have no more than one loss.

One loss wouldn't disqualify them but the roster and coaching will just need to be that good to win it all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm not certain Dante Moore agrees with your evaluation of Chip's QB coaching skills.

Yeah, Chip was out doing too much recruiting, glad handing boosters, making public appearances and not paying attention to his QBs or the O.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Who will be the B1Ggest QB of them all?

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Big Ten has some new faces and key questions at quarterback entering 2024. So, how does it all play out in terms of the B1G's QB of the Year race?

Being a long-time OBD fan like all of you, it's exciting to see all the hypes.  But don't they make you nervous?  Jinx, jinx?   Let's pump the brakes a little and beat BSU and Rodents first, no?

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. I'm not certain Dante Moore agrees with your evaluation of Chip's QB coaching skills. 😍

Your concerns about going undie are spot on.

I thought about Dante at UCLA, but CK has had so much success before him I gave it a mention. I believe their run game will the best in years and Howard has game experience, DM didn't. 

I also think this move rejuvenates CK. Might get those innovative juices flowing.

I just remember him turning Dixon into a legitimate Heisman candidate after he left that summer to play baseball, and then winning our bowl game with the 4th string qb after all the injuries we had.

I'm betting his success at tOSU will make him a hc candidate again.

Anyway, I'm glad we're in the B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1

The talent on this team may just be better than last years 12-2. It certainly has more depth at critical position groups.

Whatever weaknesses the 2023 squad had, Charles pointed out to me that those have been addressed.

So for arguement or agreement sakes, let's just say that this is the most talented and deepest Duck squad ever assembled.........

In all 3 phases.........

With no serious injuries to any 2 deep position group.........

That is a tall task to go undefeated. It's a tall task to win 2 of 3 against tOSU, UM and Whisky. 

So for every reason this great Forum can give me for an undefeated season, there is a reason it cannot.

11-1 or 11-2 with a couple of losses against tOSU still positions us for a first round home game that the Ducks will win.

Hopefully we draw the ACC or BIG12 champ in second round. That will be a winnable game and we make the semifinals.

Pick your poison in the semi-finals?

Georgia, Bama or tOSU. Whoever wins next year will truly be a National Champion .......

GO DUCKS........

On 6/17/2024 at 4:02 PM, DanLduck said:

I'm betting his success at tOSU will make him a hc candidate again.

Candidate yes, but I don't necessarily wants to and he sure as heck has enough $$$ from being fired twice in the NFL and what his current gig pays.

I also think D's have caught up with his O and he doesn't have any more rabbits in his hat/visor.

On 6/17/2024 at 2:16 PM, David Marsh said:

I still think that the team to win it all in any given year can have no more than one loss.

One loss wouldn't disqualify them but the roster and coaching will just need to be that good to win it all. 

I have to agree. Football rarely has a Cinderella win it all. Especially college football.

The paring down of conferences and ultimately teams able to compete for top talent will expand the number of programs with a legit shot at a title.

But those teams will basically be compressed into two conferences. It will be like the old AFL/NFL.

It's been a long time since my "realistic" prediction and "hopeful" prediction have been so close . . . a sign that my expectations are high!

In my mind, the 4 games that stand out are tosu, @ Mich, @ Wisconsin, and UW.

Worst case scenario is the Ducks go 2-2 in those games and finish with a 10-2 record.

However, I'll be disappointed if they're not 11-1 or better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:47 PM, cartm25 said:

It's been a long time since my "realistic" prediction and "hopeful" prediction have been so close . . . a sign that my expectations are high!

Worst case scenario is the Ducks go 2-2 in those games and finish with a 10-2 record.

I think Fusky will struggle. 8-9 wins. The Wisky game is the one that has my attention. That could be a make or break game for UO with the playoff committee. If Ducks drop tOSU and Mich games, Wisky game is super sketchy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can’t believe how much credit UW is getting in some corners, they’ll be lucky to hit 7-5. For some context, they’re rated just ahead of Colorado for national title odds.

Caesars has their over/under at 7 even.

Their roster was gutted, they lost their coach, and their final class rating (portal included) to replace that talent landed #30, between Purdue and Michigan State…and that ranking was pumped up from signing 32 3 stars.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks will be very good this season.  Yet, it’s just too early to tell how good.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Oregon may go undefeated in the regular season.  The schedule is tough, but it isn’t brutal.  tOSU game will be the tell and they come to Eugene.  

Who knows right now though?  I think Oregon has a better chance of going undefeated than many top teams, including my Dawgs.  While the schedule is tough, I think it will set up well for the Ducks.  I think the GA schedule is really tough, be hard to win every game.  

I thought GA’s schedule was really bad until I glanced at Florida’s schedule.  If you haven’t seen theirs take a look.  It’s ridiculous!!!  I almost feel sorry for them,……. Almost!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:58 PM, SoGaDawg said:

The Ducks will be very good this season.  Yet, it’s just too early to tell how good.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Oregon may go undefeated in the regular season.  The schedule is tough, but it isn’t brutal.  tOSU game will be the tell and they come to Eugene.  

Who knows right now though?  I think Oregon has a better chance of going undefeated than many top teams, including my Dawgs.  While the schedule is tough, I think it will set up well for the Ducks.  I think the GA schedule is really tough, be hard to win every game.  

I thought GA’s schedule was really bad until I glanced at Florida’s schedule.  If you haven’t seen theirs take a look.  It’s ridiculous!!!  I almost feel sorry for them,……. Almost!

I agree with every point you make here SoGaDawg except one; How can a Red Clay Hound ever feel sorry for a water lizard? (I know you qualified your statement with "Almost" and I do have some Gator buddies.  But still....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a big ask. No doubt we are loaded. Our coaching staff is terrific. Are they both ready? Only time will tell.

Outside of the obvious, there are three potential trap games. Oregon State hates us and we are playing in corn valley. They are not talented enough but they will be jazzed. We should win by 20.

Wisconsin will be coming with a chip on their shoulder. They have a lot to prove after last season.  They have a good coach and are plenty deep. I was at Wisconsin's Randall Stadium "Camp Randall" in I believe 2001 when the beat a good Oregon team. It was a huge disappointment, a long flight back. Good players- good coach, Oregon 31- Wisconsin 17

The Boise State game scares me. I was at that infamous loss in the game in Boise when the punch was thrown right in front of me. These guys appear to be a top flight group at QB and RB but can"t have the horsepower to stay with the Ducks. I don't think? We have had 3 better teams lose to these guys in the recent past. Coach them up Father Dan. Oregon 24 Boise State 20.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 7:47 PM, cartm25 said:

At Purdue is a trap game. How ready will Oregon be traveling to the Eastern time zone the week after playing Ohio State and playing Purdue on a Friday night? Purdue is at Illinois the week prior. 

Eugene to West Lafayette, Indiana: 2238 miles. Distance from Champagne-Urbana, Ill. to West Lafayette: 91 miles.

8 games without an off week will yield at least two games where the Ducks will not have their 'A game.' And games in the Midwest in late November? 

4 games in the back end of the 8 game gauntlet have the Ducks home vs Illinois in Week 9. At Michigan in Week 10. Home vs Maryland in Week 11 and on the road at Wisconsin in Week 12. A travel yo-yo and game day weather concerns in Michigan and Wisconsin. 

Week prior games: Illinois vs. Michigan; Michigan vs. Michigan State; Maryland - Idle; Wisconsin- Idle

Maryland and Wisconsin both have the week off before the Oregon game. Certainly not ideal for the Ducks. 

Power 4 conferences with 16, 16, 17, and 18 teams, intra-conference scheduling will yield far more favorable schedules for certain conference members. In 2024, Oregon has the 11th most difficult schedule in the nation. Ohio State's SOS is ranked 57. USC's schedule is ranked first or second depending on the source.

(Pay no attention to the FPI SOS, calculated by a predictive model and not calculated by the opponents' results in 2023. There is no way Oregon has the 30th most difficult SOS in the nation. There is no perfect way to calculate SOS. Teams can improve and decline rapidly from year to year but for the most part, will stay at the level as in prior seasons.)

In 2024 Oregon plays the B1G's two biggest, badest teams. In 2025, Michigan and Ohio State are not on the schedule and I hope that Oregon will not face 8 conference games in a row with a week off. No other P4 team in 2024 plays 8 weeks in a row without any time off. Going undefeated with this schedule would be extraordinary. 

10-2 with this schedule will result in an at-large playoff bid. If the 2 losses are competitive, Oregon should be seeded no lower than 8th and host a 1st-round game. 

Oregon's 2024 Over/Under is 10.5. 11-1 is doable but not without difficulty. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Paul Finebaum: Y'All don't miss one of the top 2 games next season: Ohio State at Oregon! Well hush my grits!

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/paul-finebaum-unveils-ohio-state-oregon-texas-georgia-as-cant-miss-college-football-games

PFF top 10 win totals for 2024 taking into consideration SOS.

LONGHORNSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

PFF ranked teams in FBS 1-131, where does Texas land?

On 6/18/2024 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

PFF top 10 win totals for 2024 taking into consideration SOS.

LONGHORNSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

PFF ranked teams in FBS 1-131, where does Texas land?

That’s actually hilarious on multiple levels.

First of all, that top 10? Second, that’s a lot of top 10 with 8-9 wins. I’m confident that isn’t how it will turn out.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

Ohio State has never been less than -3 versus all B1G opponents. The consensus for the Oregon matchup has tOSU -1. Down from -1.5. 

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Betting lines for several key Ohio State games in 2024 have already been posted by sportsbooks.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:30 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

That’s actually hilarious on multiple levels.

First of all, that top 10? Second, that’s a lot of top 10 with 8-9 wins. 

Yes, it looks like a ranking of NFL and not college teams. I don't pay the $10 a month to subscribe to PFF. It would be interesting to see PFF's recently released CFB SOS but the ranking is behind a paywall. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/18/2024 at 11:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Yes, it looks like a ranking of NFL and not college teams. I don't pay the $10 a month to subscribe to PFF. It would be interesting to see PFF's recently released CFB SOS but the ranking is behind a paywall. 

Their win total for UW specifically probably has the greatest chance to be accurate, but to think they’d be top-10 at 8-4 is just nuts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know. I like to dream about an undefeated season, but I've come to prefer Dan Lanning's approach. Every week is a new game, and it's always Oregon against Oregon. If they continue to take that approach and improve 1% each game, it's going to be a great season.

Edited by CountryProf
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/18/2024 at 8:06 AM, Chuc007 said:

This is a big ask. No doubt we are loaded. Our coaching staff is terrific. Are they both ready? Only time will tell.

Outside of the obvious, there are three potential trap games. Oregon State hates us and we are playing in corn valley. They are not talented enough but they will be jazzed. We should win by 20.

Wisconsin will be coming with a chip on their shoulder. They have a lot to prove after last season.  They have a good coach and are plenty deep. I was at Wisconsin's Randall Stadium "Camp Randall" in I believe 2001 when the beat a good Oregon team. It was a huge disappointment, a long flight back. Good players- good coach, Oregon 31- Wisconsin 17

The Boise State game scares me. I was at that infamous loss in the game in Boise when the punch was thrown right in front of me. These guys appear to be a top flight group at QB and RB but can"t have the horsepower to stay with the Ducks. I don't think? We have had 3 better teams lose to these guys in the recent past. Coach them up Father Dan. Oregon 24 Boise State 20.

Please stay home and watch on TV. KIDDING!

On 6/17/2024 at 7:20 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The talent on this team may just be better than last years 12-2. It certainly has more depth at critical position groups.

Whatever weaknesses the 2023 squad had, Charles pointed out to me that those have been addressed.

So for arguement or agreement sakes, let's just say that this is the most talented and deepest Duck squad ever assembled.........

In all 3 phases.........

With no serious injuries to any 2 deep position group.........

That is a tall task to go undefeated. It's a tall task to win 2 of 3 against tOSU, UM and Whisky. 

So for every reason this great Forum can give me for an undefeated season, there is a reason it cannot.

11-1 or 11-2 with a couple of losses against tOSU still positions us for a first round home game that the Ducks will win.

Hopefully we draw the ACC or BIG12 champ in second round. That will be a winnable game and we make the semifinals.

Pick your poison in the semi-finals?

Georgia, Bama or tOSU. Whoever wins next year will truly be a National Champion .......

GO DUCKS........

ACC champ or B12 champ in the second round means playing in Atlanta vs the ACC champ or playing the B12 champ in Glendale, And it means that Oregon did not win the B1G championship. The B1G champ will play the 2nd round game in the Rose Bowl. The SEC champ will play in the Sugar Bowl. Even if it finishes 13-0 the Dawgs will not have the option of choosing the Peach Bowl in Atlanta over the Sugar Bowl.

The SEC champ will not play a playoff game including the champ game in Atlanta outside of Dixie. Ducks could play the ACC champ in Atlanta. Then play in Dallas or Miami and the champ game in Atlanta. Head East young man?

The location for the ACC, B12, B1G, and SEC champs are fixed no matter where the champ is seeded in the top 4. 

• Thumbs Up 1