Charles Fischer

This Recruit IS Focused on NIL, and it is a Bidding War...

What you see below was sent to Oregon, LSU, (who he verballed to) and Miami As you recall, DJ Pickett is a Rivals 5-Star corner, and he is simply asking..."who will pay the most?"

I am confident Oregon will lose this because again--we sell a total package, not just NIL.

I've wondered about this, because if I was a player--there are so many great schools to go to. So if you have your three favorites and are happy going to any one of the three? Might as well make them bid the highest!

The good news is that most players are not primarily about NIL, but some are.

• Yikes! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If true, I’m fine with him going elsewhere and I’m sure that our coaches are, as well. He might be uber talented but we want players who want to be at Oregon and aren’t here only for the NIL money.

The goal is to win a national championship. We need talented players who are all in, are good teammates and willing to work their tails off.  

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 4

Not a surprise.

I have to think that getting “your top teams” in a bidding war is common. However, I also believe that at some point a person’s character is important as well. 

If a player checks all the boxes, then all you can do is offer a competitive bid. It is a business transaction, and the highest bidder does not always win. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's funny that when players try to maximize their financial situation, some people find it outrageous. But, when coaches, administrators, anybody else basically, bargain for the most they can get, it's just fine, the way things are supposed to work. Why the difference?

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's capitalism. When OK and UGA and others toppled the NCAA's broadcast monopoly in the 1980's it became every conference and every 'man' for itself. This young man has an agent. How many agents look at the long run, who best to send my client to the League as opposed to how do I get more bread for my man and moi now? 

This among other reasons including a messed up playoff format for the next two years, the Clemson and FSU suits vs the ACC, the fact we have a POWER 2 and not a Power 4, and the cost of meeting the House settlement 'direct payment' criteria od $20M+ per annum, is why we will have an AFL B1G and NFL SEC and a pro format playoff sooner rather than later.  

Pandora has left the box.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, Drake said:

I have to think that getting “your top teams” in a bidding war is common. However, I also believe that at some point a person’s character is important as well. 

For most players having your top schools means they've all bought in and have competitive bids. 

There is always a bit of a bidding war... Or at least bidding jostling. But as Charles and myself have said that most recruits aren't purely NIL. 

Oregon will probably miss out here as the Ducks are rarely the highest bidder from the sound of it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 10:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

It's capitalism. When OK and UGA and others toppled the NCAA's broadcast monopoly in the 1980's it became every conference and every 'man' for itself. This young man has an agent. How many agents look at the long run, who best to send my client to the League as opposed to how do I get more bread for my man and moi now? 

This among other reasons including a messed up playoff format for the next two years, the Clemson and FSU suits vs the ACC, the fact we have a POWER 2 and not a Power 4, and the cost of meeting the House settlement 'direct payment' criteria od $20M+ per annum, is why we will have an AFL B1G and NFL SEC and a pro format playoff sooner rather than later.  

Pandora has left the box.

I understand your perspective, but I'm with Charles that I think the cup is half full. Nothing wrong with maximizing your current value after all the other boxes are checked.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know I've written it several times, but when you have Dan Lanning and his staff recruiting--regardless of the challenges--they will get theirs.  With great success on the field, I am confident that Dano can have us consistently in the top five in the recruiting rankings going forward.  We miss some, and some flip, but we will be fine.

Duck Flag Poster_GoDucks.com Video.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/1/2024 at 9:37 AM, jrw said:

I think it's funny that when players try to maximize their financial situation, some people find it outrageous. But, when coaches, administrators, anybody else basically, bargain for the most they can get, it's just fine, the way things are supposed to work. Why the difference?

Slick and MariØ bargained for all they could get. They are a great example about what is wrong with trying to maximize money, rather than looking at integrity, loyalty and doing the hard work to build something.

I say you go after the Gonzo's, Muhammud's and players who have shown they can play at the elite college level with solid NIL money. High school kids are a big gamble to put too much money towards. 

Do what we did with Lanning, go after potential and a track record for integrity. Pay him big once he proves himself.  That is what fits the Oregon way.

I think it also destroys the teams culture when you bring in a high school kid with big money. Oregon has shown that if you come you can make the NFL. If you come the program will take care of you. We don't need to be the program that pays more than anyone else. Leave that for other programs.

Pretty much anytime it becomes all about money, or money becomes the most important thing, it ends poorly.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 5:32 PM, Haywarduck said:

If you come the program will take care of you.

Here, here! Oregon has doubled down on the committed athletes! Season, career ending injuries and Oregon still takes care of their athletes...a few of those athletes then chose to transfer which is their right but if a business takes care of you when you're at your lowest and then you decide to leave? I say good riddance and hopefully your next stop will be as accommodating to you...not likely...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 11:27 AM, Solar said:

I understand your perspective, but I'm with Charles that I think the cup is half full. Nothing wrong with maximizing your current value after all the other boxes are checked.

Yeah, but I want the recruit for whom the "other boxes" are the main thing, and if it is perceived that they are not, particularly by one's prospective teammates, culture problems could clearly surface. Some who know have said that this was a problem a couple of years ago when T$M clearly bought the top rated class. Now several of those "bought" players are gone, as is the head coach.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

We've established what they are, we're just haggling over the price.  Coaches, players, ADs, administrators, etc.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

I agree that players should get whatever they can, but trying to force a bidding war is a bad look. Even in the pros we never like "that guy".

My biggest concern is the kids haven't proven anything yet. Not at the college level. I wish NIL was more results oriented, like a sales commission. 

Oh well, it is what it is. Coach Lanning has shown that character is as important as skills, so until proven otherwise, I'll assume any kid he offers fills in all the boxes.

Including Pickett.

Now let's play some football already!

• Thumbs Up 2

Nicely played Sir!

So coaches are so much different......or just about anyone else......it's just that the nonsense of the NCAA has ended. 

I think Lanning gets it.  College football really is NFL lite.  But you can acquire more first round draft picks in college.  Freshman AND experienced players.  

If Lanning wins the Big Ten title this year (no matter what he does in the playoffs), he'll always be able to stack the right mixture of talent.  If he goes to the Playoff Semifinals (Conference Title or not), he'll eventually  acquire enough talent to raise a trophy or two.

Recruiting is a long game these days. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

On 8/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, Mike West said:

Recruiting is a long game these days

And sometimes a really really short game. 

Some transfer portal recruitments are like a week at most. 

While others do stem from high school recruiting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting how both recruits today were from B1G country...Illinois and Ohio.  Would this have happened had we remained in the...??

Pac-2.jpg

Mr. FishDuck