Charles Fischer

Look at the Bright Side With This Game...

Oregon is taking this transition into the Big-10 seriously and blending right in. 

Great defense, and poor offense....Iowa gives the Ducks a nod...

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 2
  • Yikes! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I looked at the bright side, and it burned my retinas to a crisp.

Edited by cartm25
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Didn’t see Jabbar Muhammad in the game, nothing in injury updates from Lanning. Any ideas what’s up?

On 8/31/2024 at 10:07 PM, John Charles said:

Didn’t see Jabbar Muhammad in the game, nothing in injury updates from Lanning. Any ideas what’s up?

He was covering on the pass that the Idaho receiver dropped.  The announcers were saying it should have been an offensive PI since the receiver shoved him.

• Thanks 1

Iowa dropped 40 on Illinois State today and the defense pitched a shutout! I’d say they’re in better shape at this point!

Ducks need a new center. What happened to Pancho?

Poncho was playing right guard, which is where he played most of last season.  Pickard at center...is not good.  But frankly--our AA tackles did not do well today either.  Bad run blocking, and they got beat for sacks and a fumble.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

When we talk about the offense...Gabriel was NOT looking downfield, or did not see open receivers deeper downfield today.  We did not stretch the defense, and Dillon did well considering the Vandals tightened up the pass defense within 10 yards of the LOS, IMHO.

Bad News: The offense was a big surprise to the negative.

Good News: There is a TON of upside to this offense, as the players are there.  Right now...it is surprising to me that Pickard/Poncho at center-right guard was superior to Poncho/Strothers instead?  Strothers must be must worse than I realized.  It would also explain why we went after Bedford as a transfer at right guard.  I thought Strothers had it nailed, but Oregon recruited Bedford and I was surprised.

Not now.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/31/2024 at 8:07 PM, John Charles said:

He locked down his assignments and they never threw to him. He was out there. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Before the season started I was most concerned about the how much we would lose on the OL after JPJ left. Pancho provided some hope in the Fiesta Bowl, not so much today even at RG. But what surprised me most was how bad both tackles played, particularly Ajani Cornelius.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/31/2024 at 8:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Good News: There is a TON of upside to this offense, as the players are there.  Right now...it is surprising to me that Pickard/Poncho at center-right guard was superior to Poncho/Strothers instead?  Strothers must be must worse than I realized.  It would also explain why we went after Bedford as a transfer at right guard.  I thought Strothers had it nailed, but Oregon recruited Bedford and I was surprised.

The offensive line felt the most suspect to me on the whole tonight. They didn't get decent push and the run game suffered and Gabriel felt under a bit too much pressure to really look down field. 

Gabriel has a shot down field early in the game but the timing on the throw was off because Gabriel was under pressure. 

The best news to me is that Lanning and the Ducks are going to treat this like a gut punching horrendous loss. There will be no celebrating this win. 

But we should see a massive turnaround for the team next week because everyone is going to work their butts off. 

It felt like the Ducks were unfocused out there and they certainly didn't finish drives.

Lanning is going to be pissed about this result and we should see the Ducks come out next Saturday out for redemption. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

I think this team is too carried away with their ranking and being in this new conference. The defense looks good  and they saved the day. The offense sucks. I am not impressed with the quarterback, he throws well but he sure can't run. That one time near the end of the game he was wide open and he still didn't run. I don't profess to be at all knowledgeable about football but even I know that when the quarterback can run and throw it gives the offense a lot of options. Maybe we should try the former UCLA quarterback, he seemed good last year.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2024 at 10:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

When we talk about the offense...Gabriel was NOT looking downfield, or did not see open receivers deeper downfield today. 

Perhaps that’s because he didn’t have confidence in the O-line? 

That was the worst offensive line play I’ve seen at Oregon in many years…

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/31/2024 at 10:44 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

I am not impressed with the quarterback, he throws well but he sure can't run. That one time near the end of the game he was wide open and he still didn't run. I don't profess to be at all knowledgeable about football but even I know that when the quarterback can run and throw it gives the offense a lot of options. Maybe we should try the former UCLA quarterback, he seemed good last year.

Dillon Gabriel is a much better runner than Dante Moore, who is more of a pocket passer.

I’m surprised that DG didn’t scramble on that play that you mentioned but perhaps our coaches are trying to protect his health, as he’s not the biggest QB and was injured last season, or he is working on his pocket passing this season.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Lots to work on for sure.

I appear to be pretty alone on the island that it wasn't great, but wasn't that bad.

487 yards to 217 yards

31 first downs to 10 first downs

Didn't really like the 3rd quarter choice to go for it on 4th down at their own 36. I understand DL probably was having a "let's take control of this game and get a yard" moment; but, up 14-0 stay patient and punt the ball away. Idaho hadn't showed the ability to drive the length of the field all game. No reason to really risk it there?

Something crazy happens like your RB tripping on one of his own guys, Idaho unnecessarily grabs momentum, calls a nice trick play, one play, 36 yards and bam, it's a game again.

Concerns? Certainly.

37 rushes for 2.9 ypc 

3 sacks and 1 forced fumble allowed

Really wonder about where the OL is at. Jackson-Powers was the inside mauler and didn't see the same push from the interior, the Bedford injury, and the late camp shuffle on the OL, maybe led to an uncharacteristically poor night?

I think (well hope) the OTs will be fine but worry about the interior. I'm not sure what exactly this offense looks like if the Ducks aren't going to be able to run the ball much better.

Also some hard to describe not finishing drives. I'd have to rewatch but there was a lot of: good play, bad play, good play, good play, bad play, bad play.

Also if Oregon is gonna have a season, they are going to need to be a bit more explosive.

I think there were only 7 plays over 15 yards and only one over 20. Of the 7, 4 were to TEs and RB (from a casual look at the box score). Idaho seemed to have a lot of defenders around the LOS, a lot of check down and guys making a few plays otherwise didn't seem like there was much attack the heavy box. Better team will likely blueprint that until the offense makes them pay.

Maybe this was a game where they didn't want DG to run; but, I think you are going to see at least the threat of the QB taking off (Gabriel has shown the ability). That one play late showed DG step up and a huge running lane open up and he instead forces a pass. There had to be 10-12 untouched yards open to him.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 8/31/2024 at 8:44 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

he throws well but he sure can't run.

Gabriel is a pretty good runner. He had some of the most rushing yards at Oklahoma last year. Granted they didn't run the ball that much, but he can absolutely run. 

He opted not to run. Whether by his choice or play design. 

He is a pretty accurate QB but I'll be honest I found his play uninspired. 

I found Nix to be quite boring but that was only because he was so ruthlessly efficient that there was often no sense.lf drama. He was got it done. 

Gabriel just doesn't feel like he's at the same level as Nix. I'm hoping that changes and quick. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I guess a positive about this game is hopefully it would be a lesson for the Ducks to stay grounded and not to treat any game as a "gimme" - which they probably thought about Idaho.

• Applause 1

On 8/31/2024 at 10:54 PM, David Marsh said:

Gabriel just doesn't feel like he's at the same level as Nix. I'm hoping that changes and quick. 

Well that is a pretty high bar, especially after game 1.

Bo Nix was a top 12 pick in last year’s NFL draft, set the single season college completion % record and is the starting QB for the Denver Broncos. Perhaps we should all (including myself) lower our expectations a tad…

DG is a VERY good college QB, who has proven he can put up points, win a big game in the 4th quarter and should be able to lead a high scoring Oregon offense, if we can improve the offensive line play.  

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gabriel tied Danny O'Neil for the most completions in Oregon history for a single game.  Gabriel was also tenth all-time in attempts, and is eighth for single game completion percentage.  The guys 1-7 had a lot fewer attempts.

But, the ten receivers who caught a ball combined for an average of 9.3 yds per completion.  The longest was 24 yds.  Last year at Oklahoma his average for the season was 13.75 yds.

I have no clue, but maybe there were too many receiver substitutions going on?   How do you develop comfort and rhythm with TEs, RBs, WRs when they are shuffling?  Maybe that was part of the reason for short throws?

I agree the O-line has some remedial learning in practice this week.

• Applause 2

The Ducks looked more like #33 than #3. Not a good start. With so much hype, maybe the players figured just showing up would be good enough. Very disappointing. Gabriel is no Nix and needs to run on occasion. 

Well hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. Ohio State struggled for a quarter and a half against Akron. So maybe it's just gonna be that one letdown game. If you have that and still win, that's a positive.

Gotta fish for the positives in this one.

LOL. In his post game press conference, Coach Lanning was asked what was said in the locker room following the game and he basically said that he wanted to keep it in the room. 

On 8/31/2024 at 9:24 PM, HDuck said:

But, the ten receivers who caught a ball combined for an average of 9.3 yds per completion.  The longest was 24 yds.  Last year at Oklahoma his average for the season was 13.75 yds.

The question already does seem to be out there, "Does Will Stein's offense lead to chronic check down syndrome?"

On 8/31/2024 at 9:31 PM, OregonDucks said:

LOL. In his post game press conference, Coach Lanning was asked what was said in the locker room following the game and he basically said that he wanted to keep it in the room. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Will Stein, Dillon Gabriel, and the Wide Receivers

will look better when the offensive line gives good pass protection.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/31/2024 at 9:37 PM, AnotherOD said:

The question already does seem to be out there, "Does Will Stein's offense lead to chronic check down syndrome?"

Charles wrote this article about Bird Bombs in the Stein offense before he came to Oregon.

FISHDUCK.COM

I have to admit to being pleased with the current line-up of receivers for 2023, along with the additions present for Spring...

Nix threw more than we have him credit for last year. Those were the plays that he would get an incompletion if he was going to throw incomplete. That is not to say that Nix missed a ton of those throws only that he never seemed to miss otherwise.

I also think that right now we are really missing Franklin. Stewart is supposed to be the next big deep threat at Oregon but we haven't quite seen that just yet. Idaho certainly did out work Oregon at the line of scrimmage (when Oregon was on O). Idaho also did a fantastic job defending sideline-to-sideline so even when Gabriel rolled out he didn't have the time and space to make the throw. Idaho played out of their minds well. Our Ducks though had horrible line play that let the offense down as well.

Our runningbacks just struggled to punch into the secondary because there just weren't any holes. Then our attempts to attack the edges were poor because our offensive line didn't seal the edge and give a running lane for them either.

It's going to be a long game next week if the offensive line doesn't pull itself together and fast.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If the doctor said I should go to the hospital during this game I would have gone straight to the morgue. Good grief, fellas! Take some pride in your work.

• Applause 1

Just watched the post-game presser and oh MAN DL was NOT a happy camper.  You could tell he just got done chewing out a bunch of people in the locker room and wanted to go to the video room instead to analyze plays.

Well, they say the biggest improvement is from week 1 to week 2.

Hang on to your hats boys, this is gonna be a fun ride, and it's just getting started.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

May I respectfully suggest that everyone take a slow deep breath and not assume the sky is falling? There are definitely concerns on the O-line, and keeping Pickard at center may not be a winning strategy. Several players along the front made some doofus plays that either killed drives or exposed Gabriel to a sack. I believe that those issues will be intensely addressed at practice this next week. 

It looks to me like it was a conservative game plan that nearly bit Oregon in the butt when Idaho didn't roll over as anticipated. If the Ducks come out flat against Boise State, then I'll be more concerned, but until then I'm going to give this team the benefit of the doubt. I am just thankful that Oregon now has a defense that can bail out the offense on a bad night.

Lanning was obviously pissed off at the penalties, lackluster execution and missed assignments and will take this team to the doctor once he has taken it behind the woodshed.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 10:36 PM, David Marsh said:

Charles wrote this article about Bird Bombs in the Stein offense before he came to Oregon...

Yes, the article mentions Stein throwing deep 8 times a game at UTSA (I think most Duck fans liked hearing that kind of talk).

Read in a post-game discussion someone (who said they charted the game) that Oregon attempted just one pass that traveled 20+ yards through the air.

PFF's premium stats for Nix showed his average depth of target (post bowl game) last year was 6.9 yards. That number was near the bottom among starting FBS QBs, ahead of I guess only 2 regular starters (one being Clemson's Klubnik). 67 percent of his total passes on the year were behind the LOS or 9 yards or less.

Nix's 6.9 yard ADOT compares to: Milroe 13.9, Penix 11.3, Maye 11.0, Daniels 10.5, Williams 9.2, Beck 8.5, Sanders 8.5, and Ewers 8.5.

Bo actually did very well on throws of 10+ yards, just relatively there were not a lot of them. PFF awarded Bo 18 "big time throws" last season which are something like well placed completions thrown into a tight window further down field (which is about 1.3 per game).

To compare that ADOT of 6.9 to his Auburn seasons his averages were 9.4, 8.4, and 9.0.

Absolutely not trying to get into a Bo Nix debate, he was great. Also not trying to be the one to make the "check down syndrome" argument. Only recognizing it seems to be out there. Might we be seeing offensively largely what is being designed?

* I guess I should add (which I guess would be) operating in the high percentage range of taking the easy money throws, not putting the ball at risk, getting the ball out to playmakers on the edge and to the RBs and TEs and let them do the work, paired with a productive powerish run game. Maybe there just isn't a design to push the ball down field with the pass beyond a few well timed shots? I am beginning to think maybe I have been expecting to see an offensive adjustment to some of our opponent's defense that isn't a part of the current core philosophy? *

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:24 PM, HDuck said:

Gabriel tied Danny O'Neil for the most completions in Oregon history for a single game.  Gabriel was also tenth all-time in attempts, and is eighth for single game completion percentage.  The guys 1-7 had a lot fewer attempts.

I have no clue, but maybe there were too many receiver substitutions going on?   How do you develop comfort and rhythm with TEs, RBs, WRs when they are shuffling?  Maybe that was part of the reason for short throws?

I agree the O-line has some remedial learning in practice this week.

Here's my opinion:

The 2021 OL that beat Ohio State can beat any defense against the run.  The 2022 OL was better.  They opened holes all day versus UGA, and actually had better pass protection against the Bulldogs.

We would have shredded the Fuskies last year with either of those OLs because we had the WRs we were missing in both games against elite teams and Will Stein's imaginative system.

That's the cruel joke right now. 

This year's OL does not match the talent level of those two years.  

I personally would use lots of Bootleg and Rollout when passing, and two back sets (either 21 or 22 sets) when running the ball.  In the 12 set, Gabriel must be a feature runner.

I don't see this OL unit as elite enough to handle the likes of last year's Michigan, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Penn State, or gulp...  this year's Miami.  

I can't remember who it was that said Gabriel doesn't have pocket presence ( after the Spring Game).  He absolutely does.  Yesterday proved the Spring Game wasn't an isolated situation.  Gabriel realistically will have two seconds to throw the ball against the nation's best Front Seven Groups.

That's not enough time to unleash an explosive down field passing attack.  Worse this OL unit isn't effective enough to sell play action either.  This is solely my opinion.

The Defense MUST win games this year.  My problem with that is I don't believe the system is suitable because the alignments always leave the edge open to exploit.  The Fuskies proved that last year, and I would  personally develop a running attack to directly exploit that "weakness". If I see it, the nation's best do.

I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG. 

That is what I'm seeing though.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/31/2024 at 8:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

When we talk about the offense...Gabriel was NOT looking downfield, or did not see open receivers deeper downfield today.  We did not stretch the defense, and Dillon did well considering the Vandals tightened up the pass defense within 10 yards of the LOS, IMHO.

Bad News: The offense was a big surprise to the negative.

Not now.

Really good observation.  Overall, Gabriel took the efficiency route.  Especially early.  Later, when he did look down-field he didn't have time 

The Drive before OBD closed out the game with a TD, Gabriel missed a skinny post for a TD inside the Fifteen  yard line on third down- which resulted in a FG.  He didn't even scan the field- he knew what was going to be open on the opposite and took the "cheap" win.

His "clock" is faster though.  In my opinion, he isn't going to have enough time to look backside, and go through his entire progression. 

The good news is Stein knows how to get anybody open.  I even saw a copy of what Georgia uses to spring their TEs open.  And that play is designed to get SOMEBODY open- it forces a conflict decision in the secondary.

I'm concerned that even a healthy OL won't do.  

I'm hoping Stein has sequential plays to Bubble Screens like Arroyo had , and Hitch and Go plays to exploit aggressive LBs and CBs.

I'm also hoping several versions of Screens to the RBs and MAX PROTECT blocking packages become a strategy moving forward.

I truly believe the OL situation is permanent.  I do not believe this OL is capable of handling the Elite teams we would face in the playoffs. They're not athletic enough.  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/1/2024 at 4:39 AM, Mike West said:

I truly believe the OL situation is permanent.  I do not believe this OL is capable of handling the Elite teams we would face in the playoffs. They're not athletic enough.  

One other observation, I believe the OL is better at blocking 1-on-1.  They are big and strong enough to pile drive anybody in my opinion, and they're good at it 

Which means the TEs are the key to motion blocking ( from my perspective).  As H Backs, the TEs can handle pulling to clear space.  

I'm going overboard here, but I truly see a flaw that won't be fixed by "fundamental training".  It's like Dak Prescott for Dallas ( he can get you to the playoffs, but he's not winning a Superbowl).  

This is a case of you deal with the cards you have.  Fold em properly, hold em properly, and run away from your weaknesses.  

Again, I hope I'm totally incorrect.  But I see this as a big picture issue.  A forty thousand foot view.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik Skopil from DuckTerritory reported Bedford was in full uniform and participated in warm-ups (despite not ultimately playing), so there is that.

Lots of late camp OL shuffling and a guy in his first career start and a guy in his second career start.

I know, I know, different team different times but I recall a near panic in 2009 after a poor performance by the Duck OL in a 19-8 opening season loss to Boise State.

Further recall it took a few games to get it together. Thran, York, Holmes, Asper, Kaiser, not an NFL guy in the bunch, but helped take a team to the Rose Bowl.

Not to suggest some serious concerns about the OL in regards to playoff contention aren't fair. If the Ducks don't blow the second game to UW, they make the 4 team playoff with 3/5 of this returning OL. I have to see a couple more games (but I do appreciate somebody willing to call their shot).

• Great post! 1

Week 1 - Do not overreact positively. Do not overreact negatively. Come December, the 'close' victory over Idaho is a W, period. 

Hopefully, this game will send HUey Bris out the door and get the entire program from the coaches to the players to Puddles ready to bring the 'A' and not the 'C-' game versus Boise State and one of the best RBs in the country.

Boise scored a lot of points yesterday but for a team with a veteran defense, it gave up a lot of points.

Bust the Broncos!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

In his post above, Another OD says: "I think there were only 7 plays over 15 yards and only one over 20. Of the 7, 4 were to TEs and RB (from a casual look at the box score). Idaho seemed to have a lot of defenders around the LOS, a lot of check down and guys making a few plays otherwise didn't seem like there was much attack the heavy box. Better team will likely blueprint that until the offense makes them pay."

Gabriel's completion percentage was 83.67.  That's an amazing number for game 1.  But from the first play and throughout the game he had to get the ball out quickly.  He was very prepared for that necessity.  Our O-line has been practicing against an excellent defense all of fall camp.  Gabriel and the coaching staff knew exactly what happened was going to happen, probably weeks ago.  Gabriel was going to his first option on nearly every pass, and when he didn't he usually "checked down" to what we used to call the "safety valve", the back behind the line of scrimmage.  Sacked three times, a forced fumble, he did what he had to do, and did it well.

We have a big problem with the O-line.  Gabriel and the coaching staff knew it was coming and prepared for it well.  That part of the game could have been a lot worse.  

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/1/2024 at 12:30 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

May I respectfully suggest that everyone take a slow deep breath and not assume the sky is falling? There are definitely concerns on the O-line, and keeping Pickard at center may not be a winning strategy. Several players along the front made some doofus plays that either killed drives or exposed Gabriel to a sack. I believe that those issues will be intensely addressed at practice this next week. 

It looks to me like it was a conservative game plan that nearly bit Oregon in the butt when Idaho didn't roll over as anticipated. If the Ducks come out flat against Boise State, then I'll be more concerned, but until then I'm going to give this team the benefit of the doubt. I am just thankful that Oregon now has a defense that can bail out the offense on a bad night.

Lanning was obviously pissed off at the penalties, lackluster execution and missed assignments and will take this team to the doctor once he has taken it behind the woodshed.

OL and Gabriel looked the same in the spring game. I'm not optimistic for significant improvement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once again Dan Lanning needs to take a look at his play calling. I and probably many of you were calling for a punt from our own 37 yard line with a fourth and one. Why wouldn't you punt? That failure plus an immediate Idaho score shocked all of us. How would you feel if the final score was 24-7?

• Applause 2

On 9/1/2024 at 7:48 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Once again Dan Lanning needs to take a look at his play calling. I and probably many of you were calling for a punt from our own 37 yard line with a fourth and one. Why wouldn't you punt? That failure plus an immediate Idaho score shocked all of us. How would you feel if the final score was 24-7?

I would feel that the OL issues contributed to 28 fewer points and about 150 fewer rushing yards.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 9:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Will Stein, Dillon Gabriel, and the Wide Receivers

will look better when the offensive line gives good pass protection.

giphy.gif

Says the old Offensive Lineman...

It would be nice if guys like Cornelius paid attention to the little things, like positioning.

On 9/1/2024 at 8:02 AM, Gotcha said:

I would feel that the OL issues contributed to 28 fewer points and about 150 fewer rushing yards.

I agree that those issues cost the Ducks in both points and yards. I also agree that the quick reads and throws yesterday may very well have been a coaching response to less certainty that the OL could give DG enough time to hit the 2nd or 3rd read.

I am, however, having a problem with believing that two potential All-American OTs with great PFF grades in 2023 have all of a sudden dropped off a cliff. Harper is still who he was last year but Pancho and Pickard were a bit of a disconnect. Pickard got the snaps to DG ok, but has neither the quickness, positional sense or pure mauling nastiness that JPJ had. JPJ made everyone else on the OL better.

The spring game O-line issues I believe reflected more the fact that the 1s were divided into two teams and not that the whole unit is in trouble. Heck, even if you trotted out only the 2s there still should have been a significant talent advantage for Oregon against Idaho. It has to boil down to communication and comfort with what the guy next you is going to do, and to my eye, that was at least part of the issue yesterday. 

Bedford appears to be an integral part of the OL and getting him (and #2 Iuli) back at RG while moving Pancho to center should go a long way to correcting the lackluster performance we saw yesterday. Even if the O-line personnel stays the same for another week or two, just cleaning up the boneheaded alignment and assignment errors will make for a big improvement. If DG tells Cornelius to get his #300+ butt half a yard closer to the LOS, there would have been a 14 point swing in Oregon's favor.

Boise State will be tougher competition than Idaho, but that defense gave up 45 points and  450+ yds (mainly passing) to Georgia Southern. If Oregon gets half of it's offensive mojo back and the OL stops stepping on own 5th extremity, there will be plenty of points scored. Finding a way to bottle up that Jeanty kid, making him wear Bassa like an iron maiden, will limit the damage their rushing attack can do. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/1/2024 at 6:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hopefully, this game will send HUey Bris out the door

Amen.

The big "THUD" you heard outside was the team, and us fans being brought back to earth.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/1/2024 at 9:14 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Bedford appears to be an integral part of the OL and getting him (and #2 Iuli) back at RG while moving Pancho to center should go a long way to correcting the lackluster performance we saw yesterday.

Even if the O-line personnel stays the same for another week or two, just cleaning up the boneheaded alignment and assignment errors will make for a big improvement. If DG tells Cornelius to get his #300+ butt half a yard closer to the LOS, there would have been a 14 point swing in Oregon's favor.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Does anyone know what type of toe surgery Lulu had?  If so, he may well be out for the rest of the season.

While comments about the O-line are deserved, I would like to remind all that Pickard is a walk-on and this was his first start. Comparing him to Pancho may not be completely fair at this point.

It was good he got the reps, cuz it's gonna be a long season.

It takes some time for the big guys to learn to work together. And Idaho's defense was slated to be very solid coming in to this game, and they showed it.

The reality is we have a huge target on our back. We will get everybody's best effort. No team in the B1G wants us to come in and be successful right off.

Idaho should get credit for playing balls out, and for giving all our "blue-chip" players a wake up call.

I'm waiting to see the improvement from wk1 to wk2. Let's get er done!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The bright side is that while Oregon didn't play well, they still won. This happens. The Ducks can't brush it aside, but in a few weeks, we can look back go, whew.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/1/2024 at 7:48 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

He could be forgiven for presuming our mass could move their mass for a yard.

But this sequence brings up a couple things. In the past it would have been a QB sneak for Bo to find that sliver of space to shoot the ball forward for the first down.

Second, there can be so much mass between our RB and the first down it turns into a traffic jame where we literally can't get out of our own way. Or in this case we literally tripped over each other.

On 9/1/2024 at 6:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Week 1 - Do not overreact positively. Do not overreact negatively. Come December, the 'close' victory over Idaho is a W, period. 

Hopefully, this game will send HUey Bris out the door and get the entire program from the coaches to the players to Puddles ready to bring the 'A' and not the 'C-' game versus Boise State and one of the best RBs in the country.

Boise scored a lot of points yesterday but for a team with a veteran defense, it gave up a lot of points.

Bust the Broncos!

Looking ahead from here it is tough to stomach that Idaho out of the gate put the blueprint out their how to shut down this offense. Expect as similar as possible defensive scheme from BSU, until we prove we can beat it.

BTW. This game ended our nation leading streak of 14 games scoring more than 30 points.