Charles Fischer

Are You Feeling Snookered by the B1G Yet?

I think we all had an awakening when learning we don't even start our game until 8:00 PM Saturday night.  It is insane, and yet now I see it was part of the plan by Fox. Any other conference playing at night out west will not compete with a late B1G football telecast. Great ratings for Colorado State versus Fresno State?  I don't think so...

The B1G games at night will dominate ratings in that time slot.

Especially when it is the LA market, the Seattle market, and the Oregon Brand.  We will bring tons of eyeballs to daytime games, but really B1G numbers on the west coast at night.  I'll bet you're all getting that sinking feeling, (as I am) that when we play the LA teams or Washington....it will be at night.

It makes perfect sense for Fox.

giphy.gif

My FishDuck Friends...we got played, big-time,

by Fox. Yet knowing that--I would still take the

deal to be with the B1G, and all the benefits

that come with it.  

Would you?

Mr. FishDuck

Yep.

Yes, I would.  Being on FOX late Saturday night > being on Pac 12 Network late Saturday night.

Considering the alternative of streaming on Apple TV with nobody watching for less media rights money, I am okay with it. 

Saying 'we' got played takes the onus away from Larry and to a lesser extent George. We had nothing to do with the incompetent negotiations, and deal which was made. 

I hope I don't come across as flippant to those on this board, but we got taken on a ride, in the back seat. More like, in the trunk!

phone-call-car-and-man-with-hostage-in-trunk-for-negotiation-kidnapping-danger-and-crime-mafia-gangster-criminal-and-business-person-in-boot-for-2TD09X5.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I figured that whenever the 4 West Coast teams play each other that the start times would late. But I had hoped that when we played B1G teams in the Eastern time zone, whether here or there, that games would start here no later than 5:00. (Silly me.) But already there is a 6:00 pm game with MI State here. I guess the Spartan fans are okay with their game starting at 9:00 pm their time???

On 9/24/2024 at 2:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We will bring tons of eyeballs to daytime games, but really B1G numbers on the west coast at night.  I'll bet you're all getting that sinking feeling, (as I am) that when we play the LA teams or Washington....it will be at night.

It makes perfect sense for Fox.

Exactly. So, I don't see it as being snookered, instead it's a huge, backhanded compliment to the Oregon Brand. Especially, since this game and later with Washington shouldn't be competitive, but the Oregon Brand will get viewers. 

Edited by 30Duck

I also think it's fine, as we will get the west coast prime time all to ourselves.  Plus we will get to either watch other games throughout the day or as some wives may say, get the Saturdays back.  🤣 

What I don't understand is why it's not on broadcast Fox, but on cabled FS1!    That's where I feel snookered!

Edited by DuckFan93

I’m surprised people are surprised. Two west coast teams, one of them predicted to be terrible, yet they are LA based. Sounds like a late night slot to me.

Im guessing that if UCLA was in the top-10 we’d have a different slot.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/24/2024 at 3:46 PM, DuckFan93 said:

What I don't understand is why it's not on broadcast Fox, but on cabled FS1!    That's where I feel snookered!

Check again.  Where I am in Eugene, the Oregon game is on Fox, and the Washington State-Boise State game is on Fox Sports 1.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Should be a great crowd. What else is there to do for college students in Los Angeles on a Saturday night at 8:00?

• Haha 3

I'm not surprised at all.  Never thought we'd be considered a bona fide B1G member.  There will be more "surprises" -- in football and other sports.  Just to be contrary, I still think we should have tried the Apple deal.  We're only getting $30M from Fox et al. for the next few years anyhow, and the athletics budget is north of $180M. 

So I liked the Apple gamble -- it's not my money and the difference if any is a small percentage of the overall athletics budget.  As far as "linear" vs. streaming goes...  how's that working out for y'all?  I only stream and I'm pretty sure everyone else will be someday soon.

Too bad that the PAC presidents and sleazy Larry and slow George couldn't get a good media deal done.  But to be honest, I'm okay with being in the B1G -- but not ecstatic about it.

• Go Ducks! 1

We knew going in they wanted us for that late time slot. I'm not surprised. 

I just hope no games in Autzen will be that late.

With any luck the game will in essence be over by halftime. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Saturday’s are busy for me; kids’ sports, yard work, etc.

I actually like the late games where I can watch them in peace and quiet, without kids and wife (who snookered me and lied about loving football while we were dating).

• Thumbs Up 1

Not at all surprised. 

We're prime late night material. 

I kinda knew this was coming. If we're not playing a top tier team then we'll get the late game.

Just maybe on a better network. 

In truth we only got stuck on the pac-12 network once or twice a year because we're the Ducks. We were usually on ESPN or Fox for the late night. And we still are (but not ESPN because contracts). 

Getting put on Peacock is basically like being put in the Pac-13 network. That happened once already for a night game for us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"I still think we should have tried the Apple deal.  We're only getting $30M from Fox et al."

Ok, one more time, I guess.  UO and UW will receive substantially more from the get-go than they would have sticking in the Pac (minus USC, UCLA, Colorado).  AND, more than $30M.

Why?  Because there are other sources of B1G revenue from which they will get 100 percent shares, not 50 percent:  NCAA Tournament shares, Bowl shares, and CFP shares.  Starting in 2026 the CFP shares for each team in the B1G and SEC will be worth about $21M alone.   The Pac12 CFP shares in 2026?  $3-4M each team?  $5M?

Before we get to 2026, what will be the first year share?   About $42M, USC/UCLA about $72M.  And, there will be annual escalators.  The Apple deal was estimated at about $22M and aside from the downside of no firm linear TV component, the "extra" revenue from CFP, NCAA tourney, major bowl shares would not have been close to the B1G membership.

So, did I pull these numbers out of my butt?   No, here is a link that describes the fallacy of "half-shares."

SPORTS360AZ.COM

The West Coast quartet will join the Big Ten in 44 days. Thanks to a public presentation by one member of the group, we can sketch the financial benefits accompanying the move. Washington...

Then, if you are comparing possibilities, think of total ticket sales, and how much UO and UW can push up ticket prices with a B1G slate of visitors.   As total ticket sales go up, so does concessions sales and goodies at the Duck Shop.   I wouldn't be surprised if I was told DAF donations rebounded a bit before 2024 season so people could get their hands on tickets to a certain game on Oct. 12.

I could go on, but that's enough.   I'm sorry, but I just get tired of reading "the stuff about half-shares" without the context of total revenue.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well living in the Pacific time zone, at least I'll e able to watch most of the game before I tire. Imagine the plight of superfans like Jon Joseph in the east who may end up horizontal and snoring before the 2nd half kickoff.

• Haha 1

Whoops, sorry about the spacing glitch above.

No sweat, it took seconds, and do know that you edit a post up to an hour later. Just click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your post and you’ll see an option to edit.

I fix stuff like that often, and titles that others write that don’t tell the reader enough about the thread. Web behavior is readers want to know what is in a thread before they open it, and I’ve told people umpteen times how to do it, and nobody does it, so when I have time, I just fix them.

It’s all about the reader, as I would like to know what’s in a thread before I open it as well.

Not a big deal, as we love your comments here, and look forward to seeing a Georgia victory this weekend!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

We already had West Coast eyeballs. An 11 PM East Coast start gets nobody on the East Coast other than duck fans watching these games. I feel like it puts us in the same spot as before.

I feel we are going to have to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State on the regular for programming to be earlier. 

Snookered indeed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2024 at 4:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Check again.  Where I am in Eugene, the Oregon game is on Fox, and the Washington State-Boise State game is on Fox Sports 1.

You are right of coz.  It does show on Fox's schedule.   I was looking on Google which just says Fox Sports...

A little less snookered now.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Cool 1

I am very upset about it. I paid a lot for tickets to the game this weekend and almost don’t want to go now.

And with all the stupidity of the network wars, this season has been a giant PiTA.

Timing is everything and I understood we took the best deal for us longterm by joining…but I still feel most snookered over our initial half-share. We’re bringing more juice to the league than anyone else, outside of the obvious powers.

The B1G got a great deal.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2024 at 10:13 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Well living in the Pacific time zone, at least I'll e able to watch most of the game before I tire. Imagine the plight of superfans like Jon Joseph in the east who may end up horizontal and snoring before the 2nd half kickoff.

Well, I'm in Eugene, and with my biorhythms, I'm apt to be curled up in the Barcalounger, and, if not snoring, definitely snoozing by the start of the second half!

I also am rooting for the Ducks to not just win, but to be way ahead by half-time.

Edited by Annie
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/25/2024 at 12:49 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I am very upset about it. I paid a lot for tickets to the game this weekend and almost don’t want to go now.

And with all the stupidity of the network wars, this season has been a giant PiTA.

I am right there with you. I am only an hour away from the Rosebowl and have had this circled on my calendar for a long time excited to see the ducks in action. But looking at it now do I even bother? If I stay for the whole game I wouldnt be home by 1am (at the earliest). I have two young kids as well so I would be woken up at 6am after a long night out. And on top of that the environment is going to be a snooze fest especially if the Ducks are up big. 

Really going back and forth if the effort is even worth it or should I just stay home and watch on tv... 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 1:15 PM, Annie said:

Well, I'm in Eugene, and with my biorhythms, I'm apt to be curled up in the Barcalounger, and, if not snoring, definitely snoozing by the start of the second half!

I also am rooting for the Ducks to not just win, but to be way ahead by half-time.

I share your biorhythms, Annie.  I usually record these games and get up Sunday morning to watch before the NFL games start.  It has the added advantage that in the event we lose (last year, UW) I can delay the torture indefinitely.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the B1G having a television deal with FOX, CBS, NBC and it's own network. I'm not surprised at all that Fox would want a big brand to appear in all of it's timezones. Oregon carries the cache to bring a few more eyeballs to an otherwise dead time slot.

What? Is The BIG scheduling games to realize the biggest profit, without regard to the in-person experience or the viewer who wants to go to bed early? When has that ever happened before? To @DrHilarius, I wish I was within a two-hour drive of you. I would take those tickets off your hands so fast and yell myself hoarse at the game.

Go Ducks!

It is what it is.  It was a no-brainer to leave for the B1G, we would not have survived long term as a top 15 program with a TV contract centered around AppleTV, we might have been fine for a couple years, but it would have a been downward trend after that I think.  We probably are going to get screwed at times with some time slots, but I'll take that over having all our games on streaming where nobody other than our fans watch us.  

The goal is a national championship, I'll take that even if it means another night game or two each season.  I do understand if others disagree, just the way I look at it I guess.  

• Thumbs Up 1