FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: No.1 Slot DESERVED?

Our Oregon Ducks football program trounced Purdue as we all expected, but what some of you may not have expected was Georgia bullying Texas in their home stadium. Now, the Ducks have propelled to the top slot in the country. As the best-ranked team in the country, fanbases from all over have convened and started arguing over the top five-to-ten ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program trounced Purdue as we all expected, but what some of you may not have expected was Georgia bullying...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

As Joey Harrington says: “It doesn’t matter.” We have over a month of football remaining and conference championships. With the expanded college football playoffs, we’ll get to settle it on the gridiron. 

Does Oregon deserve to be #1? Yes, we are undefeated with two wins over top 20 teams, including the former #2 (and still top 5) team.  

Are we the best team in the country? No one knows but hopefully we’ll have a chance to find out. I do believe that Oregon can beat any team in the county if they play their A game. Hopefully Oregon can stay healthy and continue to improve (become more consistent). 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oregon absolutely deserves to be No.1, you going to give it to Miami? Wins over Boise State and Ohio State, without their best defensive player? The real injustice is that Miami is ranked higher than Indiana. Georgia has a loss but is rightfully No.2.

For now, no team deserves No.1 more than Oregon. Undefeated, 2 wins over top 25 teams, Heisman candidate at QB. Handled the trap of going across the country, after a huge win, on a short week, and shut out Purdue, who scored 49 the week before.

Yes, Oregon is No.1.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Alex, Oregon certainly deserves the current NO. 1 Ranking, for now......

After 2 mistake filled games ro start the season, OBD's won but fell to 8th in the polls. Part of why they are now #1 is because the teams above them lost. 

in the last 5 games we have seen incremental improvement on both sides of the ball. With the O Line rotation settling down and giving DG the time he needs to make the correct throw.

This team play improvement gives this fan confidence that the Ducks can hold this top ranking and make the BIG Title game.

OBD's should be favored in every game they play, however, no sub par or mediocre performances or they may fall from #1.

However, as long as they win and make the BIG Title game thats all that matters.

It's not where we are today but where we end up finishing.

I hope Duck fans never act like the Longhorn fans did after that call. Fans need to carry intelligent perspective. Fan function is to support the team, make as much noise as possible and enjoy the game... 

Key word = GAME........

GO DUCKS.....give Illinois a solid thumping and a taste of Autzen noise.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

The longer we are No. 1, the easier it is to retain the recruits who have verballed to Oregon. Pretty cool for them to say that they are committed to the No. 1 team in the nation, and that builds pride for them and a sense of ownership in the program.

This is important because we have some top players who while verballed....are still taking other trips.  Not good.  The top-spot ranking helps a ton in those cases.

I don't think Dan is going to deviate from his plan to slowly roll-out the offense and defense in order to "win-bigger" to retain the top spot.  Right now just winning is what matters, as the B1G Championship is going to be a pretty tough game...

OSU Ending_Forum Only.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Yes, we are deserving of the #1 spot for now. I think as long as we win out (in convincing fashion when needed) we will rightfully sit at #1.

UGA win against Horns looked big on the surface, but then you look at UGA loss to Bama and see how the Tide have looked over the past 3 games (not great). Also think it was a matter of time for UT to play someone with a pulse.

Unless Dawgs boat race Tenn and Ole Miss consecutively (could happen) and OBD has a suspect outing/drops a dud (not expecting this), we should be OK at #1 going into the B1G championship.

However, our ranking this week has to do with what we have been able to put together since Boise game. There is not a team that has played up to the standard they should over the past 5 games more so than OBD. The talking heads tried sounding the panic alarm after two weeks, but now Dan has the boys ready to steamroll. "Taking care of business".

Staring down another top 20 win this weekend, and we will sit atop the rankings once more.

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!!!!! Cheers to all. Oh and yeah...... DEMOLISH THE ILLINI.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2024 at 12:09 PM, NYDuck said:

However, our ranking this week has to do with what we have been able to put together since Boise game. There is not a team that has played up to the standard they should over the past 5 games more so than OBD. The talking heads tried sounding the panic alarm after two weeks, but now Dan has the boys ready to steamroll. "Taking care of business".

Not to mention the team above us lost... HA

One of the best resumes and undefeated, so yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2024 at 12:19 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

OBD is also No. 1 in ESPN's Strength of Record Rankings. The Committee should pay attention to this ranking.  Another Top-25 win on Saturday (Knock Wood!) will help the cause.

Puddles, Make the Illini Ill!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/21/2024 at 9:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

OBD is also No. 1 in ESPN's Strength of Record Rankings. The Committee should pay attention to this ranking.  Another Top-25 win on Saturday (Knock Wood!) will help the cause.

Puddles, Make the Illini Ill!

The same Illini that gave up 49 at home to Purdue just last week. As I rewatch the game with that lens I don’t even see how that’s possible, but cool, they’re #20!

Favored by 25 over a ranked team is a bit hilarious, but I’ll take it if the public wants to believe Illinois is good.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another benefit to the B1G that Oregon is in the conference?  For the first time in NINE years....the B1G has a team ranked as No.1 during the regular season.  This has not happened since Ohio State was back in 2015, thanks to the information provided from The Athletic.

This is going to be a very successful relationship for both parties...

Oregon and B1G Logo2.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The team has taken care of its business, and the spot is deserved.

We all know the ranking is window dressing at this point of the season. It helps validate the programs goal. If you’re going to tell everyone that you are building a National championship team, then you need to be ranked #1 at some point. 

Btw…That entire scene of the crowd hurling bottles onto the field was absolutely bush league…when the refs gathered together, in a twisted way I was hoping they would penalize Texas just to see those fans totally lose their minds…lol

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have a new perspective from watching Josh Pate describe the difference between Rankings and Ratings

Do the Ducks deserve to be ranked #1 . . . YES!

Now, where would Oregon be in terms of a power rating (i.e., head to head on a neutral field, etc.)? . . . definitely Top 5, and I would put them Top 3.

That is NOT an insult to the Ducks. They are with the big boys, and that's exactly where you want them to be.

At Top-5 / Top-3, IMO, means on any given day you can beat any team in the country.

For those interested in Josh Pate's explanation on rankings vs ratings, here's his tutorial:

Edited by cartm25
  • Thanks 1

Who knows who the best team is, but Oregon absolutely deserves the #1 ranking.  Being undefeated with a win against tOSU makes the Ducks very deserving.  GA has looked like the best team in the country at times, but have also played poorly at times.  The first half against Bama was awful, and honestly our QB Beck has not played to his potential in most games.  The Ducks have looked very good and have a very good signature win against the Buckeyes.  

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

The beauty contest for ranking and or ratings are clicks and views for sports show host and podcast know it alls.

They mean nothing to this fan except conversation pieces. When i go to a tv, radio, or podcast show I choose to have someone dictate there point of view. 

Cowherd, Joel Lay an Egg Klatt, out of his mind Fine whatever are knowledgeable but they go over the top to create controversy. We have vurtually no rebuttal to their bias or nonsense.

When I come to this great site, well i get to safely express my view point. And read and reread all of your posts. Then comment or nicely be refuted. It is fabulous.

Even thru a DUCK BIAS LENS.....

As others have mentioned we just need to play the games.

OBD's are in the drivers seat now and have 5 games in regular season to prove they are number 1.

With so much upside for improvement, the return of key players and a playbook to unfold this fan likes our chances to reach 12-0. Rematch with Buckeyes and on to CFP.

GO DUCKS.....The Illini have bad intentions and need the full Autzen experience.....I envy those who can still attend the games live. It is truly a one of a kind experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

When I come to this great site, well i get to safely express my view point. And read and reread all of your posts. Then comment or nicely be refuted. It is fabulous.

I'm happy you're a Duck

• Thanks 1

Agree with everything in the article - we definitely deserve to be No. 1 right now and nobody else does.    Each win from here on out will only solidify that, starting with this week against No. 20 team.  Playing at Michigan is never a given.  Winning the next two will definitely shut up the last 2 nay-sayers that didn't vote for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

My take is if not Oregon at #1, then who?

I also was not as hyped about Georgia's win as most. They won by 2 scores, not necessarily a blowout, and if you look at how they got to 30, it was a bunch of short field opportunities they took advantage of that made the difference.

Georgia 's passing game is a real weakness. They don't have elite receivers, and that is making Beck struggle.

You could argue on a neutral field that OSU should be at us, by these polls mix in a dose of earning your spot by winning.

So if not Oregon, then who? 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

That so warms my heart, as the reason I created this forum is because of the absence of rational discussion in other places.  Just this morning a moderator caught a political comment immediately and hid it from view.  It is SO NICE to read posts without any thought of having to screen for politics, or nastiness between people.

Although, one thing I've learned is that nice discussion comes from NICE PEOPLE.  This is a special community, and I so appreciate you and everyone who posts their thoughts.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon as unbeaten with a win over Ohio State & BSU deserve #1. But Im biased

Georgia beat ranked  Clemson, Texas & lost to bama in a come from behind fashion. They deserve 2...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Solar said:

I also was not as hyped about Georgia's win as most. They won by 2 scores, not necessarily a blowout, and if you look at how they got to 30, it was a bunch of short field opportunities they took advantage of that made the difference.

Georgia 's passing game is a real weakness. They don't have elite receivers, and that is making Beck struggle.

You could argue on a neutral field that OSU should be at us, by these polls mix in a dose of earning your spot by winning.

Unfortunately I must agree with you about my Dawgs passing game.  Beck hasn’t been great this season, but our receivers haven’t helped him much either.  Way too many drops against Texas.  Fortunately our defense came to life and we were able to get the win, but it could have been a blowout had the offense played better.  I’m thinking that an Oregan vs Georgia game could be a very good game if it happens in the Playoff.  I’m very excited that both my teams have a great shot to make the Playoff.  

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

We will see if Our Beloved Ducks Deserve (Earn) the Number One, come season end.

After all that's the only one I care about.  GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2024 at 9:19 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I think we hands down have the best resume... at last based upon the data. 

I believe we are the only team in all of CFB with two wins over Top-20 schools, let alone two wins over current Top-20 teams. Including one win over a Top-5 program.

And after this Saturday, that will be three wins over Top-20 schools.

I wish I could join you all this weekend at Autzen, and I hope you will all 'bring it' again, just like you did to OSU!

• Thumbs Up 1

I could say rankings don't matter except to fans, but they do.

If we don't win the B1G championship then where we are ranked will determine making the playoffs. 

We not only deserve #1, we've earned it.

I can't believe how so many are hung up on our first two games. We have only improved vastly each week. We have had to find a new offensive line and work in a new qb. Many key starters are transfers learning a new defense.

This team is really finding themselves and gelling as a team.

We are peaking at the right time.

The talking heads in the media are all prejudiced against Oregon for different reasons. Think about it, just 2.5 seasons ago, Lanning and our Ducks lost 49-3 against Kirby Smart and his Dawgs.

How could we be #1 already?!

To them it's unbelievable. 

Well, here we are. Awesome. 

Now we face a real trap game. At home, we're ranked #1, just shutout a team who scored 49 against this team, we better come ready to play.

Go Ducks! Destroy the Illini!

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, Desert Duck said:

I believe we are the only team in all of CFB with two wins over Top-20 schools, let alone two wins over current Top-20 teams. Including one win over a Top-5 program.

I wish I could join you all this weekend at Autzen, and I hope you will all 'bring it' again, just like you did to OSU!

It’s not totally hands down imo. Georgia beat Texas and Clemson (both top 10 now) as well as played Alabama even though they narrowly lost. Not sure how legitimate BSU really is given Idaho did just about as well against us, that was all about OBD, not BSU.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 10/21/2024 at 3:30 PM, Desert Duck said:

GA has two top 20 wins also with wins against Clemson and Texas, but also a loss to Bama.  So the Ducks certainly should be ranked higher.  They’ve earned it.

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2024 at 2:11 PM, SoGaDawg said:

GA has two top 20 wins also with wins against Clemson and Texas, but also a loss to Bama.  So the Ducks certainly should be ranked higher.  They’ve earned it.

This is how I see it as well. 2 top 20 W's each for Oregon and Georgia, but there's that L to Alabama. A good loss, but as Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!"

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2024 at 5:49 PM, 30Duck said:

This is how I see it as well. 2 top 20 W's each for Oregon and Georgia, but there's that L to Alabama. A good loss, but as Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!"

Yeah that Bama game was a rough one for us.  I hate losing it but was delighted to see our guys not get down after such a rough first half.  I don’t know if many teams would keep fighting so hard being down 30-7 at the half, so the fact that we actually came back and briefly took a lead is a bit inspiring.   I feel like this GA team has ridiculous potential, but we have yet to really play a complete game.  Our defense really bailed us out against Texas.  If we can’t start playing more consistent it’s certainly not a given for us to make the Playoff.  On the other hand, the resilience we showed against Bama is cause for concern for our future opponents.  The rest of this season is going to be very interesting.  I can hardly wait to see what the Ducks and Dawgs can accomplish.  I think both of our teams have a very high ceiling.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2024 at 3:43 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Yeah that Bama game was a rough one for us.  I hate losing it but was delighted to see our guys not get down after such a rough first half.  I don’t know if many teams would keep fighting so hard being down 30-7 at the half,

In the L against Alabama & the W over Texas, we see that Kirby is the apple that fell closest to the Saban tree. DeBoer was outcoached by Kirby in his W over Georgia, and Kirby over Sark wasn't a surprise. We don't want to see Oregon have to play catch-up like Georgia did, but it looks like Kirby is Yoda to Dan's Luke Skywalker. 

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Leading a 1500 meters race at 500 meters means nothing. 

On 10/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, Utki said:

Yes, but needing a kick at the end is risky.

• Applause 1

In this instance....your point about how far we have to go is true, but being No. 1 does have meaning for the fans, the recruits and national awareness. To have that coverage for another 5-6 weeks would be nice!

Short Poll.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Should be number 1 now, can be number 1 in January. There is a whole big story that will take place between then and now.

Just making the playoffs is a big step, and do you go straight to the quarterfinals, or play in December to get into the quarters? 

I would say getting to the BIG Championship game is the first step, goal, and being number 1 is good for, not sure really.

From experience being told your number 1 is pretty cool. Getting to the championship and getting second still cool, but hurts. Winning it all, not easy and having people say you should be number 1 doesn't help. 

My end of day rambling!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2024 at 1:32 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

It’s not totally hands down imo. Georgia beat Texas and Clemson (both top 10 now) as well as played Alabama even though they narrowly lost. Not sure how legitimate BSU really is given Idaho did just about as well against us, that was all about OBD, not BSU.

Good catch re Georgia and two Top-10 wins.

With the exception of that loss to Alabama a few weeks ago, Georgia looks awfully tough. 

Plus, Oregon & Georgia both seem to be making huge strides by the week.

I do think BSU is the real deal, but they are understandably not going to get a lot of love given the conference that they're playing in. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 2

If you planned for a 1500 meter race and your strategy was to lead at 500 meters, then it does mean something. If for no other reason than you are the one in charge of your own destiny and the pack has to catch you.

• Applause 1

Alex, I agree with everything you wrote except that I think that almost all fan bases would have littered the field with those water bottles after that HORRIBLE OPI call.

What the refs did in reversing it was 1) a horrible precedent since I am sure they watched the scoreboard replaying it constantly, put they got the result correct.  Here though, the ends did not justify the means.

I am glad the overturning did not affect the outcome since had it not been overturned UT could claim they were robbed when they got pantsed.

• Applause 1

On 10/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Solar said:

Georgia. On the road against the No. 1 team, last Saturday. 7 sacks against what was reputed to be an awesome O-line. Texas D had not played any team better than a team with the 71st-ranked O. And the big wins against Michigan and Oklahoma, were not that big. SEE: Missouri at A+M. See Ole Miss vs. Kentucky. See teams overated because they have played vs. Thin Air.

The TX D played well in Austin. UGA QB Beck struggled away from Athens, as he has all season. His 2023 No. 1 TE and No. 1 WR are now in the NFL. But the Georgia D was solid in shutting down the Longhorns O, 7 sacks (!) and the TX D was on the field too lon,g wore down, and the Dawgs' run game ascended. Tremendous victory by Georgia. 

It's OBD this week at Numero Uno.😍 4-0 through the 1st half of an 8 team gauntlet no other P4 team has to run.  The first Committee rankings will be released on 11/5. Until then, it's all guess work just like it is Grapevine, Texas. It's all subjective which assures that CFB fanatics will be PO'd on 11/5 and on 12/8 when the PO field is seeded.

The always squirrley Ducks Wire today posted a projected playoff field that included 2 ACC teams, 2 B12 teams, Notre Dame, and Boise State. If we see this, the Power 2 will insist on changes being made in the PO format in 2026/27. Look at Clemson and Miami's schedules and the B12 schedules. Where's The Beef?

In the meantime, in between time, ain't Puddles got fun? You know it!

IMMOLATE THE ILLINI!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2024 at 7:51 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

If you planned for a 1500 meter race and your strategy was to lead at 500 meters, then it does mean something. If for no other reason than you are the one in charge of your own destiny and the pack has to catch you.

That was the Steve Prefontaine mentality, especially when he was younger... get out in front of them and run them into the ground. He hated seeing the backs of people in front of him.

Although he did learn to adjust this strategy a bit. 

• Applause 2

WWW.SI.COM

For the first time since 2012, the No. 1 Oregon Ducks football team is at the top of the college...

Dan the man! Love the answer from the presser last night!! Someone make a shirt please.

Dan Lanning and the Ducks take the "who cares" approach to the Ducks first No. 1 ranking in 12 years

The Ducks won't be putting any stock in the its No. 1 ranking any time soon.

For the first time in 12 years, the Oregon Ducks have been ranked No. 1 in the college football polls, but Dan Lanning and the Ducks say, "Who cares" about the rankings and instead focus on this week's task at hand.

"You don't sit halfway through a meal and say you're done eating when there's still a lot of food left on the plate. You know, that's where we're at," said Lanning. "We're at the midpoint of the season. We're not done yet. There's a lot of things that we still want to accomplish, so that doesn't really matter for us."

The task this week? Stopping an improved and talented Illinois football program that's ranked No. 20 in the country with a 6-1 record. Lanning said the Ducks won't pay too much attention to the rankings because this week's iteration of the polls isn't the one that actually matters.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks won't be putting any stock in the its No. 1 ranking any time soon.

On 10/21/2024 at 4:17 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes, but needing a kick at the end is risky.

Unless you're Cole Hocker...dude ran a sub 50 second last lap to win the Olympics 1500. I wish someone got a split of his final 100 meters, it was likely in the 11s. He's super human.

• Applause 1