Charles Fischer

Was the Game Plan to Run Anthony Brown this Much?

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release_

Question: Was the game plan for Anthony to run this much?

CRISTOBAL: "No doubt. What they were doing [defensively] calls for him to use legs tonight and he did it and you look at him, 17-for-22 throwing the ball and rushing 17 for 128 I mean what they did defensively if you know – we give a lot of pride as coaches and making adjustments and looking for areas to attack and we felt these things would work and they work if only they are executed at a high level by the players so all the credit goes to the players that execute at a really high level and Anthony used every bit of everything he has to make it a reality.

Byron [Caldwell] has stepped up and played a significant role and has made some really big runs, some explosive runs and has made people miss on contact plus two. He is a big guy. He plays with older eyes. He sees things and he is a quick study. He learns quickly. 

We’re growing, we’re getting better, the 1-0 is sinking in, and I think we’re just scratching the surface, I think this team is just getting better and better every single week in a lot of different areas, and a lot of different phases. The sky is the limit."

Anthony Brown_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

AB threw a beautiful pass with the receiver moving last night, we just need more of them, and less turnovers. 

I think what we are finally realizing is AB's biggest role is as a run threat. I never would have thought he was going to be such a runner, after all his knee injuries.

The ironic thing is this is what we wanted, wondered why it didn't happen, with Justin, and now we wonder why he is running so much!

• Thumbs Up 2

@Confused

Am I the only one here who caught this on Twitter just after the game? We have a plethora of underutilized WR talent, I hope the coaches can keep them happy enough to stay out of the portal until we have a passing QB again.

https://twitter.com/MycahPittman/status/1459789707445882892?t=jOyBal-okLIr1tpyZrMHNw&s=19

Screenshot_20211113-235041~2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

@Confused

Am I the only one here who caught this on Twitter just after the game? We have a plethora of underutilized WR talent, I hope the coaches can keep them happy enough to stay out of the portal until we have a passing QB again.

https://twitter.com/MycahPittman/status/1459789707445882892?t=jOyBal-okLIr1tpyZrMHNw&s=19

Great catch, I mean find, and it could mean anything. I will say he comes off as a bit of a diva to me, at times.  I hope he isn't meaning his the lack of catches is a form of disrespect, but it may. I will say the wide receiver room is full, healthy and is only going to get fuller. 

• Thumbs Up 1

call me naive, but i thought he was talking about being the underdog against utah. 

@DR Hilariusmost of the comments think what I was thinking, but yes that occurred to me. Hope you're right! 

caught this on Twitter just after the game?

Yikes.  Not good at all...

But I don't think he sees the truth as I see it; he does NOT have elite speed, and is an average punt returner compared to many great ones of the past.  He is not a defense-stretcher with his speed and is a possession WR, IMHO.

But we should be throwing to him on 3rd down...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Caldwell (cardwell) will be a good one. He will hit the hole fast, but also is patient to wait for his blockers, and look for cut back lanes when necessary. His last touchdown was a great example. Made it look easy. 

Edited by Drake

One thing that really bugged me was on two occasions we were chugging at 3rd-and-long (as 10-12  yards) and the call that went in was to throw to Dye in the near flat RUNNING ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Both times Dye got crushed FOR NO GAIN. Why in earth aren't we going more vertical in these 3rd-down situations, especially with Pittman and others?

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 3

Caldwell is a helluva lot faster and agile than Dye, and MC should be playing him as much as Dye to get that experience ramp-up going ASAP.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, toketeeman said:

Caldwell is a helluva lot faster and agile than Dye, and MC should be playing him as much as Dye to get that experience ramp-up going ASAP.

There are a ton of moves that come from experience that Dye was not doing over a year ago for example, and Caldwell has yet to learn.  It is the difference between a two yard carry and a five yard one, IMHO.  Caldwell is learning, (such as the Outside Zone Read example above) but still has a ways to go, I believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, toketeeman said:

One thing that really bugged me was on two occasions we were chugging at 3rd-and-long (as 10-12  yards) and the call that went in was to throw to Dye in the near flat RUNNING ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Both times Dye got crushed FOR NO GAIN. Why in earth aren't we going more vertical in these 3rd-down situations, especially with Pittman and others?

Perhaps nobody was open and he passed it to Dye hoping for some YAC?

Mr. FishDuck

@Confused

Am I the only one here who caught this on Twitter just after the game?

I mentioned in a previous thread that I saw an interview with Mycah Pittman where he expressed extreme disappointment about his lack of targets this season. His comment was something to the effect that there were several Oregon receivers, himself included, who would be putting up Drake London numbers if they were targeted as much as he was.

It seemed clear to me that he's not a happy camper. At least he was fielding punts last night instead of letting them soar over his head, like he did in the first half of the Washington game last week. For a super talented receiver such as him, it has to be frustrating playing on an offense where AB's role as a runner has become a key component. 

I predict that more players will hit the transfer portal after this season than ever before. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:35 PM, latracey said:

His comment was something to the effect that there were several Oregon receivers, himself included, who would be putting up Drake London numbers if they were targeted as much as he was.

I understand that he's frustrated, but that's close to Husky fan delusional. What Duck QB does he imagine would be throwing the passes so he and the other receivers would match London's Air Raid numbers? His personal frustration appears to have overwhelmed his awareness of the team's reality.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I saw an interview with Mycah Pittman where he expressed extreme disappointment about his lack of targets this season. His comment was something to the effect that there were several Oregon receivers, himself included, who would be putting up Drake London numbers if they were targeted as much as he was.

It seemed clear to me that he's not a happy camper. At least he was fielding punts last night instead of letting them soar over his head, like he did in the first half of the Washington game last week. For a super talented receiver such as him, it has to be frustrating playing on an offense where AB's role as a runner has become a key component. 

I predict that more players will hit the transfer portal after this season than ever before. 

He's concerned about his NFL prospects.

Kids need to get real.

If he's NFL caliber they know.  And it always gets solidified on Pro Day.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:19 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think what we are finally realizing is AB's biggest role is as a run threat. ...

This, and, I think, that he seems to be an unflappable leader.

Edited by Annie
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

an interview with Mycah Pittman where he expressed extreme disappointment about his lack of targets this season.

@latracey i missed that post—can you share that interview?

On 11/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, DR Hilarius said:

@latracey i missed that post—can you share that interview?

Sure think DR Hilarius.

Here is the interview I referred to which took place after the UCLA game. Mycah matter of factly answers the questions, but the devil is in the details.

He points out that he was desperate to make something happen with the pass he caught because he doesn't get targeted very often. He also points out that there are many Oregon receivers that would be putting up the numbers of Drake London if they got as many chances as him.

He is obviously frustrated at that point in the season while happy that Oregon finally had a game plan vs UCLA that focused on the passing game. One can only imagine how he feels now.

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1

It's easy to see that the receiver room could be frustrated. Their dreams of greatness drive their work ethic. 

We see them blocking, blocking and blocking. They are part of the success of the running game. All that work for just 1 or 2 touches a game. Or no touches?

The players focused on team and winning will stay.  The P12 Championships and New Years 6 Bowl games are some of the rewards......

Along with whatever they make of a great education opportunity. 

Those players driven by their personal or individual goals may hit the portal.  And that's really okay.

Their college opportunity is short and I will always respect the choices they make. What is even better is that MC will support their choices too....

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't blame Pittman or any of the other receivers for being frustrated. I too am frustrated about it.

It doesn't seem like there is much that can be done though. 

Cristobal's "avalanche" offensive scheme is coming into its own at this point in the season. I don't think we are going to see the Ducks throwing the ball much from here on out as long as the avalanche (aka the Oregon offensive line) keeps dominating.

Although Utah will stack the box and probably try to make us one dimensional.

• Thumbs Up 1

CJ, if they stack the box then AB and the TE and receivers will make them pay. 

Just ask UCLA....

JM will game plan to AB's short to medium passing range skill. That sets up the running game on the edges  We have blockers and backs to capitalize on this.

If we play a clean game on offense then Utah has their hands full.

Go Ducks......

• Thumbs Up 2

If you are open and don't get the ball, talk to the coach -- like a man.

If you aren't open, then block -- like a man.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, nw777b said:

If you are open and don't get the ball, talk to the coach -- like a man.

If you aren't open, then block -- like a man.

Maybe Pittman and other receivers HAVE talked to the coach. That would explain why Pittman posted "Disrespected" on Twitter. It's pretty clear that Cristobal's/JoMo's quarterback and offensive strategy are set in stone at this point. We all love to win, but there is more to the big picture for wide receivers who have NFL aspirations.

Edited by latracey

@Confused

Wish I hadn't been correct about this one. Really liked this kid from his first catch from Herbie.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

@Confused

I feel really bad for Pittman and his loss of self-esteem. Quick, someone hand him a trophy! He can go hang out with Odell.

• Thumbs Up 1