David Marsh

Seven McGee In the Transfer Portal...but WAIT!

Seven McGee has opted to transfer out of Oregon.

This puts transfers post-Cristobal at 2 for Oregon.

What I find interesting for McGee is... does this tell us anything about Dye and Verdell's intentions to stay with the program for one more season? I could see McGee opting to stay as the No. 2 running-back behind Cardwell... but not the No. 4 potentially behind Verdell, Dye and Cardwell.

You are right; this could shout the intentions of those two players.  Between Verdell, Dye and Cardwell?  Might be more leaving...

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 7:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You are right; this could shout the intentions of those two players.  Between Verdell, Dye and Cardwell?  Might be more leaving...

Sean Dollars is getting healthy too.

The RB room is crowded, I was half expecting at least one back to transfer even if Mario hadn't left. 

Interesting he announced this the day the new coach was introduced, just last week he said he wouldn't make a decision on leaving till after the bowl game... not like i ever stick to a schedule on making decisions on stuff heh.

Guest KingT

I think this hurts and also reflects coaches not finding space for him this year. The other issue is some of these guys just love the attention and adoration showered upon them by social media and fans...so there could be a lot going on here. Can't say I'm surprised with as little time as he saw this year. Most guys transferring out of Oregon have not fared well in other programs.

I feel like he has amazing hands and could also play the slot really well. This decision really surprises me as he has wanted to be a duck for years. I am really saddened by this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That was fast and encouraging on Dan's recruiting/people skills!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

Now can he pull back Mycah Pittman (if he hasn't already left for SC)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:50 PM, deschutesduck said:

That was fast and encouraging on Dan's recruiting/people skills!

Wow.  No kidding, as that is AMAZING.  And the other listed there...the analyst?  Don't be surprised if he doesn't materialize again...

Mr. FishDuck

I hope both Verdell and Dye come back.   Honestly, I am not sure how high their draft stock is now. Does anyone have insight on that?   Seems to me both will benefit from another year under a better HC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well done, coach!

This is the same kid who decommitted and recommitted prior to signing originally. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I hope both Verdell and Dye come back.   Honestly, I am not sure how high their draft stock is now. Does anyone have insight on that?   Seems to me both will benefit from another year under a better HC.

I think Verdell's draft stock is gone with his injuries... His only hope for the draft is to play next year and avoid getting injuries ... Before this year he sat out the second half of a lot of games dur to monitor dings during the game. Not good for NFL teams. 

Dye is awkward size wise for the NFL.... He isn't really big enough to be a running back and he may not be fast enough to play the slot... I have always found he lacked that extra gear on a long run to get him into the end zone. He always seemed to be caught from behind. 

I hope Dan the man told Seven that he sees many explosion plays in his future as a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't understand why anyone would enter the portal before talking to Lanning.  What's the rush?  Talking to you, DJ James.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Steven A said:

This is the same kid who decommitted and recommitted prior to signing originally. 

He also bounced between high schools in New York and California while spending a lot of time ineligible.  He is young and a bit of maturity would certainly help.  Nice save by Lanning and Johnson.

First of all glad Seven decided to stay.....and Verdell and Dye need to go....RB's tend to have short life spans and they've taken enough hits. If either has NFL ambitions another year at Oregon won't help....they are what they are.

And honestly it's time for new backfield blood. Cardwell, Seven, Benson and Dollars should give us all we need in the running game.

I could see McGee becoming more of a slot receiver, I think he has the skills for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who is @coachDonJ? Is it Don Johnson head of player personnel & director of recruiting?

• Thumbs Up 1

Great!  Captain Dan wins his first recruiting battle, and on day 1.  1-0.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:49 AM, RkyMtnGuy said:

First of all glad Seven decided to stay.....and Verdell and Dye need to go....RB's tend to have short life spans and they've taken enough hits. If either has NFL ambitions another year at Oregon won't help....they are what they are.

And honestly it's time for new backfield blood. Cardwell, Seven, Benson and Dollars should give us all we need in the running game.

Great take. But I think there is a reason Benson came in as a 3 star recruit. As of now, there are better RBs in the portal than Oregon has on its roster, including a stud RB from Georgia Tech.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping this means that Lanning may get the running game back to days of LaMichael and DeAnthony, where we'd see the RB rip off 10, 20, 30 or more yards on a regular basis.

Yes, I'd like to see the passing game be wide open, but a long run is a thing of beauty too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:48 AM, Annie said:

but a long run is a thing of beauty too.

It sure is!

• Like 1