Quackanadian

All New Coaches = Good Thing

Anyone who is familiar with Machiavelli's writings would be familiar with the notion that when you take over a new program (or kingdom), the previous regime should be replaced in it's entirety. One major argument for this is that their loyalty to the former coach (or king) would be a bond that is hard to break, and could cause negativity. 

I understand the desire to keep the D Line Coach Joe and some others, but he was hired by and loyal to MC. Also, things get stale over time for the smaller chess pieces. So, I agree it's time for a completely new and fresh overhaul of the coaches. 

Young. Energetic. Knowledgeable. Relentless. Up-to-date. That's what is needed IMHO.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 12/23/2021 at 9:38 AM, Quackanadian said:

it's time for a completely new and fresh overhaul of the coaches. 

Great point, A lot is said about continuity being a plus in a coaching staff. That would be actively worked against with a coach from the old staff staying with a new one. 

Great take! At least the departing guys, to my knowledge, are not being beheaded or knifed in the back on the way out?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah Machiavelli. Now THERE was a man who understood how the world truly works. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For me, it's always sad to see people or coaches leave or get the boot. Familiarity makes us feel comfortable. Maybe safe from the unknown... 

Wish nothing but the best for all the coaches in their future endeavors.

As I look at the company, I founded 42 years ago, I see no one on the staff from 14 years ago. That's when I turned the company over to my youngest son. 

He was young, energetic, creative and fresh out of college with 2 degrees. He systematically eliminated the geritol staff he inherited from me.

He hired like minded, young energetic, creative, workaholics to continue to build the company. He and his team do in a business quarter what my team did in a year.

Here's to the new youth movement taking place on Oregon football. I wish Coach Lanning the same success my son has had. 35 years old is a great number.

PS: Coach, during my son's learning curve he sought our my advice, often.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm confused.  Was the former staff so blindly loyal to MC (who abandoned them) they might actively work to undermine the new head coach or were they so fed up and constrained they would take a 50% pay cut to get away?

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope we don't see too many of Machiavelli's ideas, but I agree, a new staff is warranted. 

I also hope we aren't seeing the Peter Principle again. 

I think the gamble on Lanning is exactly what the Oregon Football Program is all about. We aren't about settling for an assistant. We also aren't about going backward, or copying what has already been done. 

It is an exciting time again. I love it!

Hope is winning over fear, the gamble is winning over the staid way, uncertainty and innovation is, freshly, what the Oregon Football Program is defined as, and the others are afraid, again!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I too am sorry to see Joe S go.  However, I'm sure he will land on his feet and if it is for less money, then I'm sure his contract calls for the make-up payment.

I am not sure any retained coach would have any loyalty to the guy who left and didn't offer to take him with the "dearly departed/dead to me" former coach.

Also, since "the buck stops" with Lanning, he needs to make sure he is confident with his picks whether they be entirely new, or some holdovers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, it has become “part of the game” for those schools interested in the super league JJ (rightly) predicts here on OBDF.  

It almost killed me when so many years of OBD coaching experience was (were?) shown the door along with Helfrich.  

The game, unfortunately, is no longer a game, and as such, is no longer quite as much fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, Quackanadian said:

Anyone who is familiar with Machiavelli's writings would be familiar with the notion that when you take over a new program (or kingdom), the previous regime should be replaced in it's entirety. One major argument for this is that their loyalty to the former coach (or king) would be a bond that is hard to break, and could cause negativity. 

I understand the desire to keep the D Line Coach Joe and some others, but he was hired by and loyal to MC. Also, things get stale over time for the smaller chess pieces. So, I agree it's time for a completely new and fresh overhaul of the coaches. 

Young. Energetic. Knowledgeable. Relentless. Up-to-date. That's what is needed IMHO.

Cheers!

I heard that Machiavelli was a Prince of a guy.

• Haha 4

Darkness, maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This is one of the days I wish Cap'n Candy Cane or whomever it was would come to read OBD. I double-dawg dare ya to find me a discussion of Machiavelli on any Miami football forum. I don't believe you'd find one south of the Mason-Dixon line. 

Finally! A way to poke fun at the south that doesn't resort to tried and true trope of carnal relations between siblings! It's a fine day indeed.....

You gotta love the Readers Digest condensed version of Poli Sci 240:  Understanding Machiavelli:

An action is just and right if it succeeds. If it fails, it is unjust and the prince deserves to be deposed........

Thus, was born the Monday Morning Quarterback:  If Prince Pete had just RUN the ball from the 1-yard line instead of trying a STUPID pass, the Sicily Seahawks would have WON the Super Bowl! Fire the bastard!!...........

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just when I thought college philosophy had no real value, someone drops a Machiavelli reference on a football blog.  My day is made!

Now let's discuss how good of a defense Nietzsche could design. 

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, noDucknewby said:

Just when I thought college philosophy had no real value, someone drops a Machiavelli reference on a football blog.  My day is made!

Nietzsche? Would field a defense of supermen, right?

• Haha 1

Nietzsche? Nietzsche is over rated.

On 12/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Nietzsche? Nietzsche is over rated.

He's No.7 here.

I Kant figure Macavilli out 

• Haha 3

I'm just a simple peaceful man that likes violence ie CFB

• Haha 1

Hey, can I get a plato Aristotle over here?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok we're really off the rails now ha ha:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, 30Duck said:

Hey, can I get a plato Aristotle over here?

With all the transfers, opt outs and coaching changes the cup still appears to be half full for OBD.  

Philosophically speaking, while we're at it, can we get a Socrates to share his cup with the fill-in-the-blank-prowessLESS team up north?

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:56 PM, Steven A said:

Philosophically speaking, while we're at it, can we get a Socrates to share his cup with the fill-in-the-blank-prowessLESS team up north?

HMMM, that would mean next year's game vs UW would be a LOCK, right?

Yup we're not a Freud of Dem doggies.

• Haha 2

On 12/24/2021 at 12:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

HMMM, that would mean next year's game vs UW would be a LOCK, right?

A partial/hemi lock. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, Steven A said:

A partial/hemi lock. 

At least eminent scholar Jimmy Lake has been ostracized.

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

Thus, was born the Monday Morning Quarterback:  If Prince Pete had just RUN the ball from the 1-yard line instead of trying a STUPID pass, the Sicily Seahawks would have WON the Super Bowl! Fire the bastard!!...........

LOL 

I'm not sure the Seahawks win it if they run inside.  The Patriots emphasized they expected that inside run.  An OZR however?  Like the play that got them to the one yard line?  B2B titles baby!

Of course, I was rooting for the "dark side".  I love the fact the Steelers and Patriots show players why they are owners.  I'll never forget the response to the INT.  

A friend of mine who absolutely hated the Patriots said he couldn't believe he just witnessed that stupid play.  I responded by saying I said the exact same thing to myself when the Patriots' Free Safety jumped over a falling WR and let him catch Wilson's pass instead of INTERCEPTING IT.  

The Seahawks had no business getting that goal line shot.  The game should have been over on that "non interception" 

Ole Pete choked.  He knew better than to run a dive ( hadn't worked all second half of the game- twice in third and one situations).  But that great run by Beast Mode to the one yard line was the play Carroll should have run again.  

Guess it shows even the best mess up.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, Mike West said:

I'll never forget the response to the INT.  

image.jpeg.071260fd6120a6bc4b36b3a10fe31808.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, noDucknewby said:

There's nothing Nietzsche .... couldn't "teach ya"... about the raising of the wrist.... 😉 

On 12/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

This is one of the days I wish Cap'n Candy Cane or whomever it was would come to read OBD. I double-dawg dare ya to find me a discussion of Machiavelli on any Miami football forum. I don't believe you'd find one south of the Mason-Dixon line. 

Finally! A way to poke fun at the south that doesn't resort to tried and true trope of carnal relations between siblings! It's a fine day indeed.....

You gotta love the Readers Digest condensed version of Poli Sci 240:  Understanding Machiavelli:

An action is just and right if it succeeds. If it fails, it is unjust and the prince deserves to be deposed........

Smith - you’d be absolutely wrong about NO discussions of  “Niccolo Machiavelli”on the Miami forums …………just last week we were discussing whether he was the best Italian-American Running back or was it Alan Ameche?  

BTW - joking about Southerners at this time of the year is especially cruel because Christmas is a tough time for our children because they only have one set of grandparents to receive gifts from. 

• Haha 1