FishDuck Article

Let’s Be Thankful For the Coaches Who Have Left Oregon

In the last five years Oregon has seen two head coaches leave for their dream jobs. Willie Taggart didn’t even finish coaching the entirety of his first season at Oregon before he jumped at the opportunity to coach at Florida State. Mario Cristobal left after the Pac-12 Championship game after leading the program for four years. Both names prompt angry ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Guest KingT

Meh, I'm over journalists and commentators hitting out at the fan base, it gets old. Fans will be fans.

Coaching is a two part mix: 1) Recruiting and 2) Game Management. Mario gets an A in recruiting and a C- in Game Management. He was clearly holding the Offense back and couldn't manage in game adequately at this level.

Fans should label and think of him how they wish regardless of how Journo's characterize the situation. He improved the program, but we improved in the end with a new exciting young staff.

Both Slick Willie and MC were in way over their heads with coaching big time college football. Yea, Oregon is not a Blue Blood but the expectations in the football world is as high for Oregon as most of the traditional blue blood schools. 

Slick Willie was exposed quickly and fortunately for Oregon, his incompetence was realized at FSU. No real damage there but bruised pride and JH potential not being realized.

Cristobal's incompetence was realized in Eugene. He hurt the brand and failed to develope/utilize talent. MC's lack of ability to prepare and manage games was glaring. This sure doesn't feel like a 10 win season. His only asset was his ability to draw in the talent he failed to develope.  Its almost criminal the way JH talent was squandered. 

Now we sit at a cross road with Lanning. Many of us, myself included, are pumping sunshine with Lanning. Same as we did with SWT and MC. We don't really know yet though.  I like the huge potential with Lanning. 3rd times a charm?!?!  I just hope he can manage games and develope talent.  Oregon has a ton of talent and will continue to draw talented players. Coach them up Lt. Dan.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have no problem with fans calling out the previous coaches for what they were, and are. Going forward, we should do just that, move forward. The coaches, like slick did (my apologies) will self destruct on their own. 

I guess I don't understand how we need to be grateful for setting up repeated coaches for their dream jobs? If we didn't hire slick (there I go again) he never would have had the opportunity to coach at FSU, nor make the money he did. It is like being grateful to an ex-spouse who left you for their dream companion, which was actually a nightmare. He has never won except at Oregon, so the gratefulness should start and end, where it ended.

As for Mario, the same thing, we made a winner out of a loser. Much like Chip, Mario is leaving thinking he is all that and a bag of chips. In actuality he is just another coach who had the privilege of coaching at Oregon and didn't realize what he had. It was an honor to coach at Oregon. We make mediocre coaches great, there I said it. You don't want us to look bad, now I will make us look a bit too proud, going forward, oh well we should be proud.

We are like that amazing spouse who gets spurned, over and over. We shouldn't be grateful we get burned, we should respect ourselves more and expect more. Much like Charles led the charge on, we are a program which expects more than Mario gave us, and that is ok. There should be a massive buyout, probably larger than at any other school. If you want to come here, and learn how to be successful, get the support it takes to look even better than you are, expect a massive buyout.

The Oregon Football Program isn't a blue blood program. Almost every blue blood program is a coach grinder. We are a coach making program, and it is time we realized it. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be grateful. I am grateful to Leavitt who brought back our defense. I am grateful to Mario for bringing in the talent.

There are many more things I am grateful for, but I am not grateful for being a stepping stone where coaches use us, and don't appreciate what they had. Great ponder point, but I think we need to make sure others are as grateful for the opportunity as we are for them to come here. If anyone can think of another way to ensure we are better appreciated, like the massive buyout, then I am all for it.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

David, I appreciate your article and your gracious attitude toward those that I will no longer speak their name.

In the spirit of the article, I will no longer name call.

I am truly thankful that the coaches have left  Thankful to the administration's who saved us from not just a bad date but a bad relationship.

Thankful that we don't have to endure coaches who worked hard to get less out of these talented players.

Thankful to not have to under perform in a less than mediocre conference. Attendance and ratings prove the overall conference is lacking.

Thankful to not here coach jibberish or useless coach speak. At least not from the nameless ones, anyway.

Happy New Year OBD Forum members. This is one of the true Duck treasures.

Did I mention I was glad the coaches left?

• Thumbs Up 1

David...this is a very interesting, yet difficult subject.  As a publisher of an article blog, and owner of a Duck forum...I see the need for decorum, class and respect given to former coaches and players.  But the fan in me?

Naaaahhhh.

Four years ago, I held my nose and wrote an article, Yeech: Do I Have to say "Thank You" to Willie Taggart? and it was like being told to eat my Brussel Sprouts. Yes, he helped Oregon, but boy--the fan in me rebelled at writing it.

New Forum Rules for Writing About Former Coaches and Players?

Just last night a moderator suggested a new way to how we write about former players and coaches on the OBD forum, and it would be a substantial rule change.  Right now....you cannot get personal towards the current players and coaches, but once they leave--all gloves are off.  

I would not have wanted to be the "Polite Police" to everyone who wrote something denigrating about Coach Cristobal, Mycah Pittman, Jayson Jones, etc.  I see how it is the "class" thing to do, but I question if that isn't personal choice, and not one that should be applied to a forum when emotions are high?

The bigger issue for me is enforcement; I have enough to do with enforcing the rules we have, and do not need any more of the nasty confrontations that come with that role.  I am already telling people enough (two lately) to be "polite and respectful" to their fellow OBD members, and I don't know that I want to be sticking up for former players and coaches who leave us in aggravating circumstances.

At some point my rules become quite an over-reach to people, and I am concerned that this new rule would cross that line?

I would LOVE feedback from as many as possible on this proposed change in the rules--please.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Hi David,

Thank you for the article.  I agree, need to move on.

I guess to me the saddest part of this was not having enough time for the new coaching staff to come onboard to help secure most of the incoming recruiting class.  Here's hoping for a favorable turn around  before the Feb. deadline.

Looking forward to a bright future with the new coaching staff and the potential they will bring to the table in all facets of the football program.  Hopefully making Oregon a powerhouse not only in the PAC12, but future NC potential.

Again, here's to the new coaching staff, players and a fanatical fanbase that will make a winning combination toward future endeavors!

Thanks all!  This forum/site has been and will always be such a great blessing!!  This is due to the many members giving their time, effort, intelligence and for the love of the game with a safe environment that makes this place FIRST CLASS!!

GO DUCKS!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

Edited by NJDuck

Looking back, Taggart's introductory press conference was a performance by a stand -up comic.

"I just flew into Eugene, and boy are my arms tired"

He stayed until his agent told him that his dream gig was open, and off he went.

Mario was a longer running production, with some big time talent. But it was booooring!. Year after year, the same lines, delivered in the same monotonous pattern. When he got a call to move on, it was a relief to close the curtain.

Now Lanning is here. His cast of coaches is almost complete, He's kept quite a few of the players we've come to know, and anticipate seeing in their new roles, along with some new ones that will be added by opening day, when Lanning leads his new team against his old one, in what is sure to be a blockbuster!!!

I recommend keeping the current policy.  "Right now....you cannot get personal towards the current players and coaches, but once they leave--all gloves are off.  "

As a fan I can see the need for fans airing their feelings about coaches and players who spurn them and leave.

Catharsis - "the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions."

Criticize them but be civil and polite.  No need to rant and go on and on.  After a while all of us will move on enjoying OBD!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If lack of politeness is left in section 12 I'm OK with that. But personal attacks having nothing to do with the topic would grow wearisome quickly. But that must be weighed against time needed to monitor our potty mouth. It has been pleasure to discuss AB football talents in full realization that despite his perceived football flaws this forum has not attacked him personally. I feel the toward coaches past and present.

I feel very little sympathy for the multimillionaires that can’t even hold up their end of the bargain.  That being said we shouldn’t be crass jerks about it.  I would shoot for honest with decorum.

Besides I know the least about football on this forum.  So when everything goes well I listen. When obvious issues are occurring and most people are still in “wait and see mode”, I speak up.  For example, MC’s offense or Danimals’ potentially problematic. So we should be able to be critical of our coaches and players.

However, if we allow a “gloves off” approach, it is likely the forum will devolve into twitterverse.  And who really wants that?

Furthermore, we should never attack a player.  We can be critical of their performance but never attack them.  They are at the mercy of the fans, coaches, and administration.  All they are trying to do make a better life for themselves and their family. So we should really cut them a break.

Lastly, we should be honest with decorum in this forum for us.  In a world where we see rudeness, personal attacks, and dishonesty on a daily basis, shouldn’t we have a sanctuary where we lead the in the discussion of football?

If we want gloves off… just go to Twitter, Facebook, or a remarks section on a sports web page.  They have that market space covered.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

In the last five years Oregon has seen two head coaches leave for their dream jobs. Willie Taggart didn’t even finish coaching the entirety of his first season at Oregon before he jumped at the opportunity to coach at Florida State. Mario Cristobal left after the Pac-12 Championship game after leading the program for four years. Both names prompt angry ...

Read the full article here...

Yes they recruited really good but I never in a million years believed you couldn't recruit to Oregon. It was just most the coach's that brought Oregon up didn't like the way these players were getting " CODDLED " and didn't want to keep kissing their heinies to come play at Oregon and I get it because it's gotten way out of hand. Thank goodness we have coach's coming here that are Grinders and they enjoy this. Not me in a million years. Honestly if and I don't know if this is true but I heard A@M pays their O Lineman 50 grand. Hello if this is the case and Phil wants this as bad as he says he does?

Then I would conclude that he will need to open up his check book and pay more than everybody else. I had to laugh at the picture with Mario wearing Addidas brand apparel as what a let down in shirts and everything else Miami wears and I'm not bragging up Nike because I certainly think it's a way over priced product that is very uncomfortable shoe. I mean people love the swoosh but it's over rated like everything else on this planet. I remember going to the RED BOX bowl at Levi stadium and watched the ugliest football game of my life. We won but could you imagine if it would have been MS 7 OR 6.

Thats pretty much what we've been watching for 4 seasons even with the two PAC 12 Championships the win over OS was just old ugly football that Oregon just was in the right place at the right time. Nothing more nothing less. Can we just all agree that this team will be better off because look at Lanning and the staff he's putting together and he gets it. David regardless of how people felt about what slick and Mario did they do have that right to feel mis guided by a guy that was getting paid more than most of us put together in this entertainment business.

We all have good points in this and better minds will prevail. I just also quit my 247 pay your money and your at the mercy of that site. Its supposed to be a Duck site right, yet they put up crap about SC and then after all this they were putting up all this crud about Miami and I seriously don't care about Miami, SC as I paid for Duck stories not their stories. So if anybodys thinking about wasting money on their I wouldn't. Also they have a C+ rating and to me 10 dollars is to much a month for that. Good article David and well spoken and remember People have the right to be or feel as they do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with David. We as fans

can show the rest of CFB what the Ducks are made of. CLASS.

I remember when D Smith was playing for Dallas and was the best RB in the NFL. When asked why he didn't celebrate when he scored instead giving the ball to the refs he said he didn't need to.

He new how good he was and didn't need to show any emotions and act like a pro. I think the quote was "act like you been there".

I believe negatives impact on who we are every day. The more you see it and use it the more it becomes a part of you. That's why I avoid it as much as possible.

Now that doesn't mean you can't give helpful criticism or have an opinion but I believe we can do it in a way that doesn't hurt ourselves. 

Do you think that MC gives a second thought to us calling him names or that we are upset with him. I don't think so. I don't think I would.

What exactly did he do. He came here to further his career. We all have had that option for ourselves and many of us took them, some for better some for worse. 

As far as as his coaching style and staff they did what they thought was best for the players and team. That is what coaches do, some better some for worse. It all works out in the end.

Yes we can look at the results be critical and have our opinion of it but we don't have to be negative or mean to them. They are people who are just like us, imperfect but deserving of common decency.

Any way those are my thoughts on the subject. Take care everyone have a great New Year to you and to the Ducks. 

I wish the best for all of our old players and coaches and our current and future players and new coaches, there are new opportunities for the future.

Go Ducks Fly High.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Guest Axel

I disagree with David Marsh. If I want to call Taggart "Slick Willie" or Cristobal "Wario," that's what I'll do. Fan is short for fanatic. We're not always nice or rational. Neither is the world that we live in.  

I also recommend keeping the current policy. Once a coach or player leaves, the gloves are off. Duck fans have good reasons to level broadsides at Helfrich, Taggart, and Cristobal. Meanwhile, I'm guessing that most of us agree that we are thankful and excited to welcome the Dan Lanning era to Oregon football. 

Pocketchange....you wrote a GREAT post, and I want to offer response commentary and would love any further thoughts...

I feel very little sympathy for the multimillionaires that can’t even hold up their end of the bargain.  That being said we shouldn’t be crass jerks about it.  I would shoot for honest with decorum.

Besides I know the least about football on this forum.  So when everything goes well I listen. When obvious issues are occurring and most people are still in “wait and see mode”, I speak up.  For example, MC’s offense or Danimals’ potentially problematic. So we should be able to be critical of our coaches and players.

Agreed, (above) as "Critical Analysis" is what I strive for, where I give credit where due and grief where deserved.

However, if we allow a “gloves off” approach, it is likely the forum will devolve into twitterverse.  And who really wants that?

We do not have that now in this forum, and the "gloves off" has only been with the world outside the current players and coaches.  Thus far, the rules have worked, but the question is whether to expand the protections to former players and coaches who, "have not endeared themselves to us."

Furthermore, we should never attack a player.  We can be critical of their performance but never attack them.  They are at the mercy of the fans, coaches, and administration.  All they are trying to do make a better life for themselves and their family. So we should really cut them a break.

Yep.  Our rules clearly state that you cannot get personal with the current players or coaches.  You may certainly be critical and negative about their performance or coaching decisions, as that is what we do on a forum.

Lastly, we should be honest with decorum in this forum for us.  In a world where we see rudeness, personal attacks, and dishonesty on a daily basis, shouldn’t we have a sanctuary where we lead the in the discussion of football?

If we want gloves off… just go to Twitter, Facebook, or a remarks section on a sports web page.  They have that market space covered.

You make a compelling case, especially since the primary tone that serves as a foundation to the rules is everyone being, "polite and respectful."  Did you find the posts about Cristobal or Pittman leaving to be over-the-top or offensive?  Did anyone?  That is the default we currently have in place, and I wondering about when OBD members are hot about a player or coach leaving...if trying to enforce decorum might turn their frustration on me?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/31/2021 at 9:17 AM, Smith72 said:

Criticize them but be civil and polite.  No need to rant and go on and on.  After a while all of us will move on enjoying OBD!

This is what separates our Forum from anyplace else.  The bunch who feel that any rules on how or what they post inhibits them are right. But the Boards where people just post whatever, however they want, don't have discussion. There is no need for articles or topics, it's just a board full of rants.

Our old buddy, impulse control. Is a good guy. As a Seahawks fan, when Pete called for a pass on the 2 yard line, with Beast Mode in the backfield, I was WTH!!! But what I wrote in the board I was active in at the time was, "If that had worked it would have been one of the best calls in Super Bowl history."

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles, I would err on the side of civility, decorum, and politeness in any decisions you make.

Those things are what separate OBD from pretty much every other comment section on the interwebs.

Doing so still leaves plenty of room for honesty and criticism. It's usually not what people say, but how they say it that causes problems.

If people want to act like jerks, there are plenty of places that will welcome them. Don't let them be that guy here.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:50 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

David, I appreciate your article and your gracious attitude toward those that I will no longer speak their name.

That's fair... I know this will be my last article probably that talks directly about either of those coaches for a long time at the very least. 

I would also like to reiterate that because Taggart and Cristobal left, it resulted in Oregon getting paid instead of having to pay to get rid of them. 

Isn't that reason enough to thank them? 

Also how many more years did anyone really want to watch a Cristobal offense? 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Jim Rome use to say, "have a take, and don't suck," not a bad way to look at it. You need to have a take, not just a rant, or something which has been stated repeatedly, not worth reading. You also can't suck, there has to be material meaning to what you say, back it up.

Your take should be on point. If you don't like how Mario ran the program, be specific. If that includes the fact he lied, be specific. Quote where he lied. Maybe have and a take and don't suck is too harsh, but maybe it explains how people feel when they read a rant or just something which has been stated over and over and over.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:18 AM, David Marsh said:

I would also like to reiterate that because Taggart and Cristobal left, it resulted in Oregon getting paid instead of having to pay to get rid of them. 

Isn't that reason enough to thank them? 

Also how many more years did anyone really want to watch a Cristobal offense? 

I have no problem thanking those who helped us. I give great thanks to FSU. I can also compliment Mario and Miami. I have a real problem giving slick too much credit, as the whole character of that guy was one big flaw. I fully admit, the way he left gives me a reaction that isn't healthy, but I am  ok with that, and grateful FishDuck gives me a place to vent that. I won't go into specifics, but his complete lack of integrity bothers me greatly.

I can agree, we should move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

If that includes the fact he lied, be specific.

I don't think MC lied about wanting to stay and end his career at Oregon when he was hired. I think things changed in some dramatic ways in the last few months. 

Most importantly I think the health of his mother tilted the scales dramatically. Pair that with Miami willing to pay insane amounts of money to get MC... The contract itself is big but the buyout was also massive at nine million. 

Cristobal wanted a large buyout when he was hired at Oregon to try and ensure the fan base he wasn't going anywhere. And at nine million it was a steep price for Miami to pay just go get him to leave Oregon. 

I think Cristobal danced around the discussion if he was leaving or not the last week or so before he actually left which as fans feels disingenuous. Though unsurprising. 

Maybe have and a take and don't suck is too harsh, but maybe it explains how people feel when they read a rant or just something which has been stated over and over and over.

I see the rational points here for decorum, and your thought makes a ton of sense too.  But again...I am thinking of the haggling with emails and phone calls where people tell me that, "Charles...you've gone too far."

Sometime it is easy to suggest these things, but you feel differently when it is YOU who has to carry out the rule enforcement.

That would actually be an interesting question...."for those who want me to enforce decorum on former players and members...would YOU be willing to send the emails and deal with the responses and phone calls?"

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

I fully admit, the way he left gives me a reaction that isn't healthy, but I am  ok with that, and grateful FishDuck gives me a place to vent that. I won't go into specifics, but his complete lack of integrity bothers me greatly.

I get that feeling... He has received his punishment... He is banished to a G5 school at FAU and I doubt he even sniffs at a P5 job for another 5-10 years, if ever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cristobal as Coach = stuck in neutral.  I’m glad we’ve moved on from him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

From my limited experience on this forum, I have encountered no "jerky" behavior or over-the-top disrespect. It's healthy to have a space to both celebrate and commiserate together. I haven't noticed anyone resorting to personal attacks on players or coaches, past or present. Critical comments have been made as a result of poor performances, of course, but that is acceptable and to be expected. We are passionate about our Ducks, after all.

In my opinion, Mr. FishDuck has done an admirable job of making this forum a fun place to wax eloquent as well as rave and rant. I don't think we need any more rules. 

Agree with David's main point and arguments. Let's not be a sour grapes fanbase. If we feel compelled to talk about Taggart or MC, then Haywarduck nailed it:

You need to have a take, not just a rant, or something which has been stated repeatedly, not worth reading. You also can't suck, there has to be material meaning to what you say, back it up.

MC elevated recruiting and built what appears to be an amazing team-first culture. FSU bailed us out of our worst coach in decades (yes I think Willie was worse than Helf). Miami spared us from paying $85million for a decade of plodding Cristo-football. Thank you to all three. Taggart, eh I don't ever have to thank that guy.

Best of luck to MC at Miami. If they play well, great for him, and hopefully our Ducks beat them any and every chance they get. Looking forward to the Lanning era now. May it bring plentiful touchdowns and wins.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with the article

All gas and no brakes. Moving on. The folks who left have left; take the good, leave the bad.

Feel how you want, I sure do. After 2006 I hoped I'd NEVER see Dennis Dixon at QB again! Boy, that was dumb. 

Maybe folks are just mad at being left? How they left is irrelevant, they left you! 

All have left some positives, even if that positive ended up being their absence. 

Since Pete Carrol, NO PAC12 team has won a Championship,  NOBODY! The whole conference has struggled. We've had it pretty good.

Personal attacks have no place here, save that for the Fuskies.

Keep looking for great.

• Thanks 2

I know PK and the administration wanted him longer. They offered him a generous contract to stay and I would have been ok with it. 

I still believe the massive and key injuries hampered this last season greatly. No amount of coaching could have changed that.

As far as new rules or not I don't believe you need to do that. As you stated you have enough to worry about.

Things will work out where the discourse will change from the past to the present. I don't take offense when people get negative. It's their problem not mine.

I will be there to present a different perspective when I feel it needs to be said. 

I do respect the rules u started this forum with. You state them right up front.

It's each individuals responsibility to follow them. If they don't I wouldn't even read their response.

Just have a prepared statement to send explaining that there are other sites they can post to if they can't follow the rules. End of story. No need for u to get emotionally involved. Y you have the power to take them off the site. 

That's how I would handle it. I wish I could help but am so inept in the using of my phone.

Maybe if someone who could help me set it up it'd work out. I don't have any technical support around me to help.

I learned what I do know by trial and error with many times ready to throw it outside

I'm a hunt and pecker typist and very slow and constantly making errors. My phone is an old Android with limited memory to boot. Oh well enough about my problems.

Edited by Duck 1972
Missing info
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 11:22 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I know PK and the administration wanted him longer. They offered him a generous contract to stay and I would have been ok with it. 

I think this is so important to think about.

We would have been happy to keep Cristobal because Cristobal does a great job winning the off-season. We usually enter the off-season feeling kinda meh but hopeful for next year and with a GOOD early signing day we are usually feeling very optimistic for the future in that regard. Then we have a decent Spring and usually an ok Spring game... enter the summer... get some big recruiting momentum over the summer months.

Then we are back in the actual season and we are wringing out hands from this lackluster offense and a defense that should be much better than it actually is on the field.

But his recruiting gives us profound optimism which really allows us as a fan-base to overlook so many of the on-field flaws. The off-season for college football is LONGER than the season so we spend most of the year feeling good with recruiting wins.

With all those recruiting wins we are feeling on the verge of truly breaking into the final four and in truth... I feel with a good quarterback and just half the injuries Oregon would have made it to the playoff this year. I don't think the results once in the playoff would have been pretty though.

But there is always next year... and that is what kept PK and fans in a perpetual cycle of hope. Though the real question is does that cycle of hope lead to the promised land or does it just keep leading to on-field disappointments? So in that regard, MC leaving forces Oregon to hire someone who may be an upgrade to the program and give us a real shot at that promised land.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David, I believe this off-season would have been very different.  In prior years, we had hope that "he would become the CEO," or he would "let the OC do his job," but after four years--everyone knows he is not changing.  And that includes the fans, (of which would have had a very dull off-season waiting for more of the same next year) or the players who now see that on offense--things are not going the way they hoped.

I believe we would have seen a much bigger exodus of players leaving via the portal beyond what has and will happen if Cristobal had stayed.

This really worked out well for all parties, as everyone is happy.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Charles it may have not been pretty but it was still successful. To me winning by a lot or winning by 1, it's the same (except for the heartburn).

I cared about the other problems more. The lack of discipline, the lack of consistent readiness, the lack of explosive plays, etc. 

I was willing to see if he could fix those. A lot of people were not. That's ok. The way things turned out we will never know. 

I hope our new staff will answer those problems. We shall see.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering if we peaked out after the tOSU game?

Here's wishing Mario has all the success At Miami that Willie had At Florida State

• Haha 1

I am one who would have been happy to have had Mario stay. This would have been an indication he meant what he said. I also think Mario could have won bigger if he had what he worshiped at Alabama. At Alabama he had Derrick Henry, Kamara (who transferred) and TJ Yeldon, all NFL backs on the same team. 

I am also very grateful for the assistant coaches, who are in limbo and gave great effort to Mario and the program. Much like the amazing coaches who were cut when Helfrich was let go, they are just victims of the whims of the head coach they believed in.

We should all be even more grateful to the coaches who were left, on the side of the road.

• Like 1

Agreed. All of them. They gave their best. Thanks a lot and well wishes for their future.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with your points David. I am grateful they came to Oregon, and even more grateful they left.

WT gave us Cristobal. MC gave us great recruiting, which most of us never thought possible, at least not top 10.

Our program now is certainly in better shape after MC, than after Helfrich. 

If we are admittedly in the "only a Natty or bust" group, coaches will come and go. We need to expect and respect that.

No one seems to mention the coach's family. As much as we love Eugene and the Pacific NW, not everyone loves to live here. The weather, culture, politics, etc. are not every one's cup of tea. It is very possible that Mrs. Cristobal wanted to move. There are major differences living in the south from the NW.

If a coach or player doesn't want to be here, I don't want them to be here. We should honor other's choices. It's what liberty is all about.

Finally, civility is one of the things I cherish most about the OBD forum. I don't expect Charles to have to be a hall monitor either. We need to monitor ourselves. Name calling and childish rants are what we expect from that purple team up north, not from educated, intelligent fans like us. 😉

• Thanks 2

On 1/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, DanLduck said:

No one seems to mention the coach's family.

respectfully, everyone talks about the coaches’ families…

from all accounts jessica, rocco, and mario mateo cristobal loved eugene. the taggarts and the moorheads, not so much. 

that danimal brought his entire family on his first trip to eugene bodes well. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, DanLduck said:

Finally, civility is one of the things I cherish most about the OBD forum. I don't expect Charles to have to be a hall monitor either. We need to monitor ourselves. Name calling and childish rants are what we expect from that purple team up north, not from educated, intelligent fans like us

It is a nice wish, but we cannot monitor ourselves.  One OBD member who posted often and wrote good stuff did make a mistake two days ago, and wrote something that was not "polite and respectful."  I sent the "reminder" email, and he then told me to delete his account as "he did nothing wrong."  We all make mistakes, but he refused to accept that.

Some people want a license to write whatever they want and will try to manipulate you into caving into them--when they are the offending party.  I did as he asked, but it is too bad; we all lose, but it was his choice.  The rules apply to all, as the moderators find the violations and I enforce them.  Without that we descend into chaos quickly...

I am committed to keeping this the "forum-with-decorum!"

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, DR Hilarius said:

respectfully, everyone talks about the coaches’ families…

from all accounts jessica, rocco, and mario mateo cristobal loved eugene. the taggarts and the moorheads, not so much. 

that danimal brought his entire family on his first trip to eugene bodes well. 

Unless Lanning takes this program to new heights and then bolts to the NFL, taking any other college coaching job, after leading the Ducks to success, will be viewed as  unacceptable.  His departure will be met with much fan resentment, if he doesn't make good on this introductory speech promise:

If William Jewell College comes calling, I love William Jewell College, but I'm staying at Oregon.  I'm gonna stay at Oregon as long as I can stay at

Oregon and as long as Oregon will have me. There is no other for me. This is the premier job in the nation, not just in this league, but in the nation.

Again, it was gonna take a premier job for me to leave the situation I was in.  So I'm thrilled to be here because I know what we can do here. There

doesn't have to be a next step for me. This job can be the final step.

I will hope for the best but will take what he said with a grain of salt.  We shall see...

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thanks 1

Again why do we expect these guys to not be human like the rest of us.

I don't know for sure but it's an educated guess that's it's very few of our community here at OBD who stayed or is staying at the same job or didn't take a promotion for their whole lives.

How can we hold them to a higher standard than the rest of us hold ourselves to. IMHO that's a horrible thing to do.

Just because "we" wanted them to stay. Why are our feelings more important than theirs. 

Well it's said he gave us his word. I whole heartedly agree that's important. In fact I believe it's one best character factors a person can have.

But I also see it as a lose/lose question of will he stay forever.  What's he going to say.

I believe a person who would make a forever promise is lying. Their is no way a person can do that as nothing is permanent in this world. Nothing!!!

Now anyone can believe that things can be permanent but that doesn't make it so in reality. IMHO more so than less so.

Happy New Year everyone. Now to the Feb Signing Day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being respectful, yet offering critical feedback on a coach or player that has left should be ok. As far as gloves off that will differ from poster to poster in terms of how brutal they want to be w/o crossing the line.

Schools like Oregon will always be a junior training ground for coaches and players alike. Nothing wrong with that when it comes to amateur college sports.

There is a reason why, there are buy outs in coaches contracts, its there for both parties.

• Like 1