FishDuck Article

Lanning’s Bulldog Defense: I’m Impressed, Are You?

Like so many of you–I had to tune into the Playoff Semi-Final to watch our new coach, Dan Lanning, work with his defense in his second-to-last game as a Georgia Bulldog. It was amazing to watch Michigan being held to only three points until late in garbage time, and if there was ever a defense that passed the “eyeball test,” ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Happy New Year Chsrles and all the OBD forum. Charles,  just curious, is that a smile on your face?

The only reason I ask is because as I watched the Bulldog defense react and execute their assignments a smile exploded upon my face.

Why? For a few reasons..........

The players appeared to be well prepared, knew their assignments and executed at a high level. That is a sign of good coaching......

The Bulldog defense came to play with fire and passion. The attacking scheme expected a level of dominance to be established. Not a bend don't break scheme. How refreshing and exciting .......

Granted, that defense has its share of 5 stars who look like NFL material. IMHO, you can be born with all the physical attributes to be an NFL draft pick. But high level coaching coupled with that talent gets you NFL ready.

Does Oregon have that talent level? There are Duck defenders who could play at Bama or Georgia, for sure.... Oregon doesn't have as many on their squad right now. That will change. 

I feel that doesn't matter because the PAC does not field many offenses with SEC 5 star talent.  

Oregon has brought in the last 3 top recruiting classes in the PAC. The talent needed may be on the field now. That talent just needs a solid scheme(s) and solid coaching. To me that was the case on the field last night.

The Natty game will provide all the current and future Duck players another snap shot of their future. Oregon had a chance at redemption against Utah. The coaches could not offer the players a better game plan nor motivate their players. Same out come. Another embarrassing beat down........

Bama embarrassed this great Georgia defense.  Looking forward to see how and if the Georgia D can earn that redemption......

Last night was the first time I watched a CFP game since the Ducks beat down FSU. The games are just not compelling and I am not into SEC games.

However last night and this years Natty are compelling. We get a glimpse of Oregon's future......

At the very highest level.......

Looking forward to see how Coach Lanning handles a redemption game against the best, the very best........

Hopefully that Georgia defense can put more smiles on our faces.......

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Like I said in another post --If he can make Oregon's D 60% as good as Ga we will beat every PAC team no problem.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Every single starter on the defensive side of the ball are Jr or Sr. Every one. On the offensive side of the ball, 5. With the covid year, that's an old unit that has been coached up by some of the best coaches in college football. In college, old means good.

These coaches and players have given themselves the advantage of age and maturity to succeed at the highest level of CFB. In a time where players jump into the draft prematurely,  they have shown patience and focus to better prepare for the League. Although not guaranteed, they have put themselves in position for opportunity,  success and longevity at the next level.

Maybe KT should take note. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked the hands up when about to pass. I saw several balls knocked down with perfect timing.

• Thumbs Up 2

As my son, a football fanatic, texted during the game, “Hard not to be excited about Lanning.”

I replied, “ I found the clip of him talking to his players very interesting.  Totally engaged.”

He cannot do it alone.  Hopefully he is hiring a staff that duplicates his enthusiasm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two things stand out immediately - discipline and good tackling form!  The defense was ready before the snap and looked like they knew their assignment.

Tackling was excellent.  The legs were their target!  The offensive runner or pass catcher taken to the ground immediately.  

How many times did we see Oregon tacklers surround a runner try to tackle his shoulders and be carried for 5 or more yards!  Teaching proper tackling technique will be a serious upgrade.

Overall I loved the aggressive pressure on the offense!  No more soft bend-not break passivity!

The new Dan Lanning era is coming!  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:35 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Bama embarrassed this great Georgia defense.  Looking forward to see how and if the Georgia D can earn that redemption......

Yes, they looked pedestrian against Bama. They looked great last night but is that just an indictment against the great Harbaugh team from the B1G?

I'm hoping the Utes make tOSU look bad in the Rose Bowl but I'm not holding my breath. The Pac12 just looks like a group of five conference.

Did anyone see the sign one of the Cincy fans was holding? Something about P5 schools and that 13-0 is still their record. Welcome to the big time! Too bad your team didn't show up! Saban is all about adjustments...

That defense looked really good to me.

I thought Michigan would do much better but I could tell at the coin toss seeing Aiden Hutchinson look up around the stadium that it was going to be a "deer in the headlights" game for him.

Hats off to Lanning and the UGA D but that quality of player will not be playing for Oregon in 2022. 

Coach 'em up guys = Cincinnati. Take the best talent in the  country and make them better = Georgia.

UGA ran the same D against Michigan that it ran against Bama in the SEC champ game. Bama has the Heisman Trophy winner playing QB, Michigan does not.

Can Georgia get a team with equal talent, Alabama, off of its back? Other than for the game vs Bama, the UGA D manhandled teams like it did Michigan all season long.

Not dinging Lanning's coaching but at UGA Dan was working with big time Jimmies and Joes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we can, and I am intrigued by Oregon's focus on making our defense as good as our offense. Since Leavitt was given his huge contract the Oregon Football Program has been committed to making our defense perform more like, or like Georgia's.

Now with the hiring of Dan Lanning we have gone all in on creating a defense which can compete against anyone. Preceding Lanning we hired Avalos, and then Deruyter, both big time hires we never saw in the past. Avalos is now a head coach, something which never happened to our DC's. Lanning is just the logical next step in the commitment the program is making to the defense.

In the past our defense has been there for the offense to pick off the best talent, whether it was Jeff Maehl, or Kenyon Barner.  The offense took whoever they wanted and the DC was expected to scrape together a competitive squad. This past year we even saw one of our best offensive players play defense, TE Johnson playing well at DE. I think we will continue to see a commitment to our defensive players, and a focus on this talent with Lanning as head coach.

The biggest question still, can Oregon bring back the offense which is critical to compete at the highest level. That is the side of the ball which has been decimated by the previous coach. I actually think that will be easier as Oregon still in known for offensive innovation, that wasn't completely destroyed. 

I think we can and will. The focus is there, and it will be interesting to see it happen. Our defense will be the difference in how we compete against sc, and ultimately in the playoff.

• Like 1

Hard not to like what we saw last night.

A group of studs playing defense like Dick Laboes old defenses.

Tackleing, which has has been an afterthought in Eugene for some time now, was a thing of beauty. I’m sure we will have far less injuries if the new staff can teach those proper techniques to the Ducks.

If we can can come up with some corners who can get up on receivers and not let them run free across the middle our front seven will improve automatically.

Agree with 1Ducker1, if we can get 60 to 70% of that defense the rest of the pack is in big trouble. 

Once again excited about the Ducks new staff. Can’t wait for the future to begin.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow. I think what we saw last night was a portal opening up at UO's doorstep.

• Haha 1

Lanning is the coach I dreamt of to come to Oregon when Cristobal left. The DC of a historically good SEC defense chose to leave that position at Georgia to come across the country to be the head coach at Oregon. When he said that this is his Dream job, I believed him!

The Ducks won't have the talent across the board like the Georgia D has this season, but that 330 lbs of DT from up north sure looks good. But has been pointed out before, the Ducks have talent on D, and with the technique and discipline Lanning will impart, the Pac-12 won't know what hit them!

The Blur offense was exciting to watch. But it can be just as much fun to watch your team's D get stop after stop after stop, with pulverizing hits. How I would have loved it if Brady Breeze was still here!

This post is full of !!  I can't wait for the Spring Game!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

I absolutely loved what I saw. Admittedly, I'm only newly obsessed with the X's and O's, but a few things stood out to me.

First, I love the scheme. His defense is aggressive, unpredictable, but disciplined. The pressure that was dialed up made life miserable for the Michigan OL and confused the heck out of the QBs. There's no bend but don't break -- it is an attacking defense that isn't going to wait for the offense to set the tone.

Second, I love the linebackers. All year, Duck linebackers struggled in coverage. Georgia's linebackers are well coached, sure tacklers, and held their own in the passing game. I cannot wait to see our talented LB corps healthy and taking the next step under Coach Lanning.

Lastly, I love the pride. I paid close attention to how the defense carried themselves in the waning moments of the game. They were up by a boatload, could have been already thinking about their rematch with Bama, but still had fire to close things out. Hands still in the air trying to bat passes down. Bodies still flying to the ball. That's a unit that is playing to make one another proud. I'm thrilled for the kind of PRIDE in defense that Coach Lanning can bring.

I know others have mentioned us not having the otherworldly NFL talent that Georgia has. And while that's true, our defense is no slouch when it comes to talent. Remember...

• - Funa: 4*
  • - Flowe: 5*
  • - Sewell: 5*
  • - Bassa: 4*
  • - Ware-Hudson: 4*
  • - Williams: 4*
  • - Jackson: 4*
  • - Manning: 5*
  • - Stephens: 4*

We are no Georgia, but the talent is there to dominate this conference. I'm pumped for Spring. 🙂

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 1/1/2022 at 7:17 PM, WolfDuck said:

His defense is aggressive, unpredictable, but disciplined.

WolfDuck....this is an outstanding first post, and I would hope you share your thoughts with us often.  WELCOME!

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

I absolutely loved what I saw. Admittedly, I'm only newly obsessed with the X's and O's, but a few things stood out to me.

First, I love the scheme. His defense is aggressive, unpredictable, but disciplined. The pressure that was dialed up made life miserable for the Michigan OL and confused the heck out of the QBs. There's no bend but don't break -- it is an attacking defense that isn't going to wait for the offense to set the tone.

Second, I love the linebackers. All year, Duck linebackers struggled in coverage. Georgia's linebackers are well coached, sure tacklers, and held their own in the passing game. I cannot wait to see our talented LB corps healthy and taking the next step under Coach Lanning.

Lastly, I love the pride. I paid close attention to how the defense carried themselves in the waning moments of the game. They were up by a boatload, could have been already thinking about their rematch with Bama, but still had fire to close things out. Hands still in the air trying to bat passes down. Bodies still flying to the ball. That's a unit that is playing to make one another proud. I'm thrilled for the kind of PRIDE in defense that Coach Lanning can bring.

I know others have mentioned us not having the otherworldly NFL talent that Georgia has. And while that's true, our defense is no slouch when it comes to talent. Remember...

• - Funa: 4*
  • - Flowe: 5*
  • - Sewell: 5*
  • - Bassa: 4*
  • - Ware-Hudson: 4*
  • - Williams: 4*
  • - Jackson: 4*
  • - Manning: 5*
  • - Stephens: 4*

We are no Georgia, but the talent is there to dominate this conference. I'm pumped for Spring. 🙂

Coach these kids up and if the stick around to Sr year, they can be just as fatal as what UGA fielded this year. Thats a ton of young talent. It will be fun to watch 

• Like 1

Agreed plus we added Tucker and a LB - can't think of his name. And I believe more is on the way

Hi All, as a life long Dawg fan. I just wanted to let you guys know you are getting a very good coach and a pretty good recruiter. The staff hires he has made so far seem to be very good. I'm not 100% on how he will be as a HC but his personality and ethic is great and he has been one of the better DCs we have had. Some people will say that its Kirbys D and he's just a headpiece, But I don't see it that way. He has changed several things since taking over the D and from what I've seen they have all been good choices. It is his D that is based off of what Kirby setup to begin with. So it will be a great opening game for next year's season for us and you guys. Until then Cheers! 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 11:33 PM, GaMarine said:

Hi All, as a life long Dawg fan. I just wanted to let you guys know you are getting a very good coach and a pretty good recruiter. The staff hires he has made so far seem to be very good. I'm not 100% on how he will be as a HC but his personality and ethic is great and he has been one of the better DCs we have had. Some people will say that its Kirbys D and he's just a headpiece, But I don't see it that way. He has changed several things since taking over the D and from what I've seen they have all been good choices. It is his D that is based off of what Kirby setup to begin with. So it will be a great opening game for next year's season for us and you guys. Until then Cheers! 

Good luck next week vs. Bama. You will have a contingent of fans pulling for you from the far reaches of the Pacific Northwest. While the phrase “Go Dawgs” isn’t in our vocabulary because of the dirty mutt fans up in Seattle, many of us will still be cheering for you guys. 

We hope Dan Lanning continues the great tradition of coaches from the “Saban Tree”. We think we have a great situation for new head coaches to come into. Since 1993, we’ve only had two losing seasons. We’ve only ever hired one true HC from another program and he only stayed one season, so hiring unproven coaches is nothing new to us. 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope we’re competitive in ATL next season. I live in the region, so I might show up.  Until then, Go Georgia, beat Bama!

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 3

Absolutely the talent is there ... The biggest concern is depth at this point. 

I don't expect Oregon to lead the country in defense this next year ... I don't expect a top 5 defines in truth but I do annicipate a top 15 defense. 

The offense is another story... Lots of talent... No sure fire starter at QB and Dillingham has a good and interesting resume but this is really going to be his first chance of shaping his own offense and offensive vision. In previous stops he has had an offensive minded HC who directed and Dillingham executed. 

Also... I too can't wait for the spring game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have had a sneaking suspicion that many of Cristobal's highly ranked recruits are front runners who lack grit.  I guess we shall see after Lanning takes over.

Be nice to see more of this, except with real tackling... The Hybrid BullDuck style.

You know the one: Wrap up the ball carrier's legs, so he hits the ground?

I never could understand the point of jumping on the opponents back for a piggy back ride...

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:51 AM, Utki said:

I have had a sneaking suspicion that many of Cristobal's highly ranked recruits are front runners who lack grit.  I guess we shall see after Lanning takes over.

I disagree. Watch the Fresno State game again. KT was KT until he got rolled up on. Dorlis Sewell and Flowe were monsters but still young. B Williams was a surprise DB. V McKinley was flying around. There's more I just can't think of them.

• Thumbs Up 2