Charles Fischer

Bo Nix Working Hard Already...

Hmmm. How DOES he look?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I'm going with Ty. He has really beefed up.

Feels like this year's QB battle will be much more competitive than last season's farce. We can expect three things for sure:

1. We will be much better off than last year

2. We will like the starter by the time he's named (even if it is Bo)

3. One of Jay, Ty, or Bo will not be with the team by the end of the season

• Like 1

I expect Jay or Ty to be gone before the start of the season. Not sure about the rule but I don’t think Bo can leave unless he drops out. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

And what happens if Bo isn't named starter? There are so many what ifs, that it is hard to even begin to put the variables together. All I hope is we have a solid starter and a back-up who is ready to take over. I also want to see a starter who has upside over the next few years. 

Nix has two years to play, but will he improve over the next two years. I could see both Ty and Jay leaving if it looks like another two years sitting on the bench.  This is going to be a tricky needle to thread. We are going to want to see our qb thread the needle on the field. We are also going to want our coaches to thread the needle on picking the right guy, and having a strong back-up. I would say this is probably the most difficult decision I have seen at Oregon in a while.

All I can say is all the qb's better be working hard right now. Another variable is working hard down south, without the Oregon receivers may not be the smart way to work hard. The shrewd qb is working with his receivers and not on spring break away from the program. Staged practice < Fun practice with your teammates.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario fully botched the QB situation by keeping games way to close and never letting backups see the field in clean up time.

AB should have been pulled from the bowl game after the first couple three and outs. Since he stayed in till the end, their is no clear indicator of either remaining QBs on field capabilities.

it’s an unfortunate situation for all involved. The players, team, coaches and fans have no choice but to just see how it all plays out.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:23 PM, Just Ducky said:

I expect Jay or Ty to be gone before the start of the season. Not sure about the rule but I don’t think Bo can leave unless he drops out. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

You get 1 free transfer without having to sit out a year. This may be different for grad transfers? But I don't think Bo earned a degree at Auburn?

IMO, the Frosh Player of the Year in the SEC with 3 year's starting in the SEC will be hard to beat out. 

Maybe it was all to do with Mario's no risk O philosophy but Ty couldn't get Brown off the field and Bo, if his ankle is healed, is a better player than AB. Similar career stats but Bo faced far better competition in the SEC than did Brown in the ACC and the Pac-12. AB started 1 game vs a top 25 team that he won. Bo has more top 25 wins by far, including Ws vs Bama and Oregon.

However, Bo is 0-3 vs Georgia. Only Tennessee and Auburn play Bama and Georgia every season. 

On 3/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, Jon Joseph said:

You get 1 free transfer without having to sit out a year. This may be different for grad transfers? But I don't think Bo earned a degree at Auburn?

Bo Nix's Oregon bio says he graduated from Auburn last fall.  Eliminating the requirement to sit out a year is for first time transfers so I don't imagine Nix has any other options.

On 3/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, McDuck said:

Bo Nix's Oregon bio says he graduated from Auburn last fall.  Eliminating the requirement to sit out a year is for first time transfers so I don't imagine Nix has any other options.

Before the 'free transfer rule' and the portal coming about for CFB players, grad players were allowed to transfer without sitting out a year.

So, does a grad transfer get 2 'free transfers?' I don't know but I doubt it.

Playing SEC football and scoring a degree in the time he was enrolled on The Plains is impressive. Many the SEC guy who leaves early for the NFL never obtains a degree.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Or, does enrolling without playing a down in a game allow another free transfer?

And then will accepting NIL $ count as playing in games if your NIL $ is tied to your school?

So many questions, so few brain cells to come up with answers.

• Haha 3

I think we're going to have some answers in the spring game. I covered the spring game way back when, and this new kid called Marcus Mariota could not hide himself.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:36 PM, Steven A said:

Or, does enrolling without playing a down in a game allow another free transfer?

And then will accepting NIL $ count as playing in games if your NIL $ is tied to your school?

So many questions, so few brain cells to come up with answers.

There's just so much confusion, I can't get no relief!

In 'theory' NIL cannot be tied to a given school. LOL!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

A1: In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must: »

Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school; »

Leave their current four-year school academically eligible; »

Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and »

Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

OneTime_Transfer.pdf (ncaa.org)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well…he looks good without any defenders harassing him. 

The Ducks need three solid QBs. Unfortunately, we probably have 3 QBs that would start at a lot of programs. I would fully understand if one decides to transfer this year.

While I would wish them well, it would be aggravating to see that person light it up with another team. Mainly from the standpoint of having to watch so many balls thrown into the turf last year. 

Guys we did get Abbott at QB in 22? He has a possibility of adding something if 1 of our QBs leave. Watched some of his highlights looked good to me.

Never count out walkons re R Walk, B Mayfield, S Bennett, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

There's just so much confusion, I can't get no relief!

QB discussion aside, Jon, you've moved from The Guess Who to...Jimi Hendrix? Bob Dylan?

Back to the topic, may the best man win. And, may the other two have some patience.  ("Dude, injuries happen...")

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no problem with Nix starting if he wins the job. What I hope for is if he is not playing well, one of the other guys at least gets a chance. 

What was so frustrating last year was that sometimes AB was playing so poorly it was hard to imagine anyone coming in and being worse. So, why not give those guys a chance? 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 3/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, Haywarduck said:

And what happens if Bo isn't named starter? There are so many what ifs, that it is hard to even begin to put the variables together. All I hope is we have a solid starter and a back-up who is ready to take over. I also want to see a starter who has upside over the next few years. 

Nix has two years to play, but will he improve over the next two years. I could see both Ty and Jay leaving if it looks like another two years sitting on the bench.  This is going to be a tricky needle to thread. We are going to want to see our qb thread the needle on the field. We are also going to want our coaches to thread the needle on picking the right guy, and having a strong back-up. I would say this is probably the most difficult decision I have seen at Oregon in a while.

All I can say is all the qb's better be working hard right now. Another variable is working hard down south, without the Oregon receivers may not be the smart way to work hard. The shrewd qb is working with his receivers and not on spring break away from the program. Staged practice < Fun practice with your teammates.

If Bo isn't the starter then that means Thompson to me will be primed for a huge season. That will be a huge relief from last years terrible season. I mean we beat OS in the shoe then everything fell apart. Not gonna be the case this year as I expect Oregon to beat everyone except Georgia.

• Like 1

The problem with AB was teams figured him out. He was like a pitcher who baffled teams with one pitch, but then once they figured there was only one pitch he was easy to hit. AB was a running qb with limited passing ability.

I was actually startled more teams didn't pick off his sideline throws after Stanford figured out that was one of the few passes he could complete. The Stanford LB almost picked off two of them. That was a pass AB made way too many times if I was a DC of the opposing team.

AB did his best and gave it his all. For that we should all be grateful. The fact that the guys underneath him didn't get any playing time would seem to have been unjust. We will see in the coming years.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:21 PM, Haywarduck said:

The problem with AB was teams figured him out. He was like a pitcher who baffled teams with one pitch, but then once they figured there was only one pitch he was easy to hit. AB was a running qb with limited passing ability.

I was actually startled more teams didn't pick off his sideline throws after Stanford figured out that was one of the few passes he could complete. The Stanford LB almost picked off two of them. That was a pass AB made way too many times if I was a DC of the opposing team.

AB did his best and gave it his all. For that we should all be grateful. The fact that the guys underneath him didn't get any playing time would seem to have been unjust. We will see in the coming years.

I agree with the sentiment for AB. I do believe because of tOSU win it seems to have locked MC to play it safe.

We have pretty much proved on the "forum of decorum" I do believe the boo game was the start.

The players and.MC lost each other and the team towards the end of the season was not functioning properly.

I believe we now have a fresh start with a staff that will "make football fun again", inspire the players, have challenged spots and improved play.

That's why I believe we are going to shock everyone.

Go Ducks Fly High

Edited by Duck 1972

My dawgs beat Bo and Auburn all three times they faced him. BUT it wasn't easy and Bo is a player who earned my  respect. Tough guy. Oh and  thanks for the helmet Mr. FishDuck.

• Thumbs Up 1