Jump to content
Desert Duck

George Kliavkoff--Completely Blindsided?

Recommended Posts

The responsibility for USC and UCLA bolting for the Big Ten resides heavily on the shoulders of the inept Larry Scott.

 

But for Kliavkoff to have apparently been completely blindsided by the USC/UCLA disaster is beyond unacceptable. 

 

Keeping negotiations like this USC/UCLA move secret is virtually next to impossible. For something this huge not to have been leaked at all is next to unbelievable. 

 

People have been fired for much less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, Desert Duck said:

 

 

People have been fired for much less.

Not in government jobs they haven't 

 

It's sad, but the Pac12 and the entire west has an over-inflated sense of self worth and self importance. At all levels

 

$$$ and perceived value drives this whole debacle. The SEC and Bigwhatever have it. The west doesn't.  

 

When all the best west coast players go to the SEC and BIGwhatever, you have a problem.

 

LA schools provide the LA TV market and recruits, that's it. The schools are irrelevant. 

 

Hope everyone enjoyed their water polo and women's tumbling championships. The ride is over 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, Desert Duck said:

But for Kliavkoff to have apparently been completely blindsided by the USC/UCLA disaster is beyond unacceptable. 

Blindsided, yes.  But disagree on unacceptable.

 

It was not his fault that somehow this was kept a secret.

 

But, I don't think we have seen the end result yet.  This may have been the canary in the coal mine and now the puppet masters (media revenue) have the blood in the water they want.

 

Oregon is a prize fish and maybe we are a free agent now.  If so, thank the Bruins and Trojans.

  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in another post sc and ucla are just acting as their reputations would indicate they would. George doesn't have a reputation, but the one forming isn't a good one. He was fooled once, time to get it going, or be the fool.

 

Time for George to start earning his keep, or he won't have a home.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it's hard to believe Kliavkoff was blindsided since this  USC/UCLA defection has been a topic of conversation for a year. What I can believe is that he assumed he has more power and conference loyalty than he actually does. I think he really trusted The Alliance, for whatever the heck that's worth now.

 

What I hope we won't see is some knee-jerk reaction. This might not be a popular idea, but I think fighting to keep the PAC 10-12 Conference together is important. The conference is important to academic issues as well. The LA schools, in football, are mediocre at best--I've not yet bought the whole Lincoln Riley supercoach mirage before a game has been played. Yes, recruiting is affected but remember the transfer portal and NIL which, I think, become real headaches as coaches try to develop and plan on players from season to season. 

 

So many say it's a new day and we have to roll with the punches, blah, blah, blah. Well, since it's a new day, maybe it's time to stop looking down our Pac 12 noses at schools like San Diego State and Fresno State and build a new, real alliance of western schools.

  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon must leave.  Whatever remains of PAC and the type of schools that would actually accept a transfer in,  will make this a Mountain West “Coast” mid major.   No way should Oregon stay with our resources, value, and expectations.  We want Playoffs not the Potato Bowl. This is going to crater PAC bowl alliances.  Oregon is actually in a good spot as a free agent with its National wide fan base, marketing, value.  

Edited by AllOregon
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 10:04 AM, Steven A said:

Oregon is a prize fish and maybe we are a free agent now.

That is a spin I like!

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, AllOregon said:

Oregon must leave.  Whatever remains of PAC and the type of schools that would actually accept a transfer in,  will make this a Mountain West “Coast” mid major.   No way should Oregon stay with our resources, value, and expectations.  We want Playoffs not the Potato Bowl. This is going to crater PAC bowl alliances.  Oregon is actually in a good spot as a free agent with its National wide fan base, marketing, value.  

Unfortunately, I agree with this.  If we don't get into the B1G....we are screwed, IMHO.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Unfortunately, I agree with this.  If we don't get into the B1G....we are screwed, IMHO.

I’d like to think that all those cries to bring on Alabama, to be heeded if we became the northernmost western most member of the SEC 🤡

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I was more optimistic but if B10 really wanted us they would have suggested it. We might, might be able to beg our way in if we plead our case persuasively, but I am not holding my breath. I think the SEC would laugh at us asking to be brought in. 
 

I think it will be combine with big 12 or a fate much worse. 
 

hope I am wrong and we get into the B10. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

GK was surely blindsided but that would be because he naively thought he could trust the other conference commissioners in this so-called "alliance".  His overall solid 1st year on the job is now marred by this huge failure to protect the Pac12 by not implementing any legal framework to prevent others in the alliance from poaching from each other...instead relying on a "gentleman's agreement".  

 

Larry Scott certainly shoulders most of the blame for putting the Pac12 in such a bad financial spot in the first place, leaving GK very little margin for error.  But we can't say GK is completely blameless in this as he left the conference wide open to attack with no possible defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch. 
 

 

20A336A2-7ED3-4EFD-B8E5-23B4DF38D4B8.jpeg

  • Let’s hope! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pac 12 is 0/2 on commissioner quality. The ship is sinking fast. 
 

How the heck can he not have known, unless he engendered zero respect within usc and ucla. 
 

sorry George, you’re just Larry Scott in drag. 

  • Oh no! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody knew OKlahoma and Texas were moving until it was a done deal.  People can be secretive, when they really want to be.  

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with some of the comments that indicate George is somehow to blame. As the saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame . . ."

 

Allow me to distribute the "shame":  1) Larry Scott, and 2) B10 Leadership / Commissioner Kevin Warren.

 

If I'm not mistaken, the B10 / P12 / ACC all made an alliance after UO and UT made the move to the SEC. I imagine conference leadership all shaking hands, looking each other in the eye, and saying, "We have each other's backs. We're in this together."

 

For the B10 / Warren to make that commitment to P12 leadership, and then work behind their backs to take the two teams located in the most important P12 media market makes them douchebags (if this term is in violation of the rules I will gladly find a less severe synonym:  "no good, very bad, yucky meanie monsters").

 

I'd like for the actual nefarious individuals to receive criticism, and I don't think that's George, in this instance.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would urge restraint on GK.  First, what is he going to say publicly: I’m piloting a ship destined to crack up just downstream?

 

And he was betrayed by his own.  The B1G didn’t poach the LA schools.  They went to the B1G.  Not a lot GK can really do with that hand especially when you learn this stuff was in motion almost a year ago (even if it went a little dormant until 3 months ago)

 

In all honesty, if its me calling the shots, you get cold blooded.  You are building a 40-48 team version of the NFL.  2 x 20/24 Conferences.  Drop the brands that don’t work to make room for those that do.  Do you really need an Indiana and Purdue (or either if ND comes in)?  A Northwestern and an Illinois?  A Rutgers?

 

Stranding west coast brands for a national product capped at a hard member total to preserve traditions but invite dilution of real value and create complex travel logistics seems unwise to me.  
 

Maybe this is just motivated reasoning….

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, Nautique Duck said:

I wish I was more optimistic but if B10 really wanted us they would have suggested it. We might, might be able to beg our way in if we plead our case persuasively, but I am not holding my breath. I think the SEC would laugh at us asking to be brought in. 
 

I think it will be combine with big 12 or a fate much worse. 
 

hope I am wrong and we get into the B10. 

I think we will be passed over initially by B10. Big 12 merge with Pac 10 another TV package could be worked out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 10:04 AM, Steven A said:

Blindsided, yes.  But disagree on unacceptable.

 

It was not his fault that somehow this was kept a secret.

 

But, I don't think we have seen the end result yet.  This may have been the canary in the coal mine and now the puppet masters (media revenue) have the blood in the water they want.

 

Oregon is a prize fish and maybe we are a free agent now.  If so, thank the Bruins and Trojans.

While Larry $cott deserves a lot of blame, I Respectfully disagree, George needs to go, TODAY. 

 

Clearly un curious George was very intentionally left out of the loop.

 

A massive no confidence vote by usc and ucla and an illustration that George isn’t qualified to do the job.

 

His one job was protect and enhance the conference.

 

He failed miserably and the PAC12 conference is now DONE. 

 

He should be fired immediately with cause. 

  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

George, so far. Maybe there is a deal down in that hole he has us in, but I am not too sure about that.

 

 

cP3tGHk.gif

  • Mic drop 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I do want to emphasize that I certainly don't remotely blame GK for the condition Larry Scott and his braintrust team allowed the PAC12 to deteriorate into over the past decade. That was pure all Larry Scott & Co.

 

I am, however, amazed that the gutting of the PAC12 was able to remain a secret, and apparently not get out all, prior to the earthquake announcement this week. Usually if you tell one or two people a secret that is not to he repeated, about 30 people are quickly going to hear about it --- or at least hear rumors about it. 

 

But apparently, those involved in the PAC12 USC/UCLA gutting somehow did find a way to keep it completely off the radar and out of the rumor-mill until the announcement.

 

I admit that the following is rather small of me, but I do take some pleasure in knowing that UCLA football will be providing a lot of B1G schools with many easy victories for years to come. 

Edited by Desert Duck
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think UCLA to the B1G is a done deal. There are a lot of high hurdles to be overcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, cartm25 said:

Allow me to distribute the "shame":  1) Larry Scott, and 2) B10 Leadership / Commissioner Kevin Warren.

 

In my mind, this falls squarely on the Conference Presidents.  Not only did they hire Larry Scott, they sat idle while the SEC cleaned their respective clocks when it came to ensuring their prized Olympic Sports would continue to be funded properly.

 

The fact these "leaders" disregarded the very sport that funds their cherished group tells me they believe past prestige in football would take care of business.

 

It should have been clear when the SEC took it USC that the South meant business when it came to running football on the collegiate level.

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2022 at 1:17 PM, Mike West said:

 

In my mind, this falls squarely on the Conference Presidents.  Not only did they hire Larry Scott, they sat idle while the SEC cleaned their respective clocks when it came to ensuring their prized Olympic Sports would continue to be funded properly.

 

The fact these "leaders" disregarded the very sport that funds their cherished group tells me they believe past prestige in football would take care of business.

 

It should have been clear when the SEC took it USC that the South meant business when it came to running football on the collegiate level.

 

 

Sure, I can agree with that sentiment. Whoever the ultimate decision makers were should shoulder the blame.

 

Makes me wonder who failed to act when it became apparent that P12 Leadership’s / Scott’s original vision was not working as planned.

 

Either way, my primary point was that I don’t think George should be called out for much of anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top