Haywarduck

What Did We Learn In Week 3?

I would say, most importantly we learned that Bo Nix owns this team and that is invaluable. He came to Oregon to do exactly what he is doing, leading a team like he was suppose to when he came out of high school.

He threw some beautiful balls, threw some out of bounds, and played Bo's game, and that is more than enough. He also ran like a LB, with a plan. He reminds me of AB with the ball, a force when he turns it up field, and doesn't instinctively slide.

We also have some amazing talent at WR. The ball Franklin caught was a beautiful throw, but that throw was equaled by Troy going up, and securing it like a guy playing at the next level. 

Dorlus and DJ Johnson came out yesterday and couldn't be stopped. If the refs had called all the holding penalties the game might still be going on. These guys are the real deal and the D-line come out yesterday.

Nobody should throw toward Gonzalez. The guy is a lock down corner, and hopefully we see improved play from the rest of the db's.

The cougs are the real deal, wining on the road, and at home. They will be a HUGE test this weekend. 

We also learned Lanning has some gunslinger in him. Going for it on 4th was a hugely aggressive and confident move. Also putting Ty in early was aggressive and I saw no panic in Lanning. Lanning is a leading light for this team, and that light is a beautiful calming green and yellow hue everyone benefits from. Everyone on that team looks to Lanning and they benefit with everything he says and does.

Kudos to Tosh, Locklyn and Dilly too. These coaches under Lanning are the real deal. We have coaches who can recruit, and they can also coach a game, and develop talent, love it!

Lastly I love seeing the beavs playing good football. I hope they keep building and smash the dawgs the week before we destroy them. Which then leads into a massive three week period to end the Pac-12 season. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but that is easy to do with this amazing team we have. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

I learned that watching Ducks football can be fun again.

It's obvious from afar that the team is focused, disciplined, crisp, aggressive, and ready to play. All things that were missing under what's-his-name.

No more deflating play calls, bad choices, disorganization, baffling time-outs, and lack of energy.

Win or lose, Lanning's teams are going to be ready to play and engaging to watch.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 9/18/2022 at 8:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would say, most importantly we learned that Bo Nix owns this team and that is invaluable. He came to Oregon to do exactly what he is doing, leading a team 

Dorlus and DJ Johnson came out yesterday and couldn't be stopped. 

Love this. It seems in hindsight that Mario was so strong willed (overbearing?) That he completely dominated team and they sat around waiting for him to tell them what to do passively.

Not this year!

Also, DJ is playing well and his hustle is amazing. Making plays downfield and chasing down runners. Only getting better

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think we all learned why Nix is the starter.  And that Oregon's season, after that 49-3 debacle, isn't going to be a bust.  And that there's still a lot of reason for optimism for the team going forward, but that there is still a lot of things needing fixing and a lot more talent needed to fix them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I learned this coaching staff can game plan. Much like UGA did to the Ducks, they came out and set the tone early on both sides of the ball.

I learned this coaching staff can problem solve week to week. Nearly every flaw that UGA exposed week one has been addressed and improved upon.

I learned the starting D is becoming the real deal fast. They have given up only two TDs in their last 6 quarters of play.

I learned that the O has too many play makers to everywhere making focusing on one thing to stop difficult. Distributing the ball to so many running backs and receivers and tight ends gives the other team nothing and no one to focus on to stop. Brilliant game planning.

I learned that talk has become walk for this Ducks team and I'm actually excited about football again!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, Mic said:

I think we all learned why Nix is the starter.  And that Oregon's season, after that 49-3 debacle, isn't going to be a bust.  And that there's still a lot of reason for optimism for the team going forward, but that there is still a lot of things needing fixing and a lot more talent needed to fix them.

Agree and he is going to make some mistakes going forward. I would say without question this team has his back, and those mistakes will be covered by both sides of the ball. I hope he stays healthy and has the season he dreamed of when he moved, with is wife, to Oregon.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I loved the tenacity and aggression from start to finish. This was smash mouth football with a game plan. Loved it. 

What really has me feeling good about coaching abilities of Lanning and his staff is how they were able to dictate clock use.

Seemingly at will.

I looked at how much clock used in offensive possessions. 2 to 5 minutes all game with throttle to the floor. 

Lanning then dropped a gear and jaked down the hill on the last drive for 8+ minutes and 3 points. 

Well done coach.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, Log Haulin said:

I loved the tenacity and aggression from start to finish. This was smash mouth football with a game plan. Loved it. 

What really has me feeling good about coaching abilities of Lanning and his staff is how they were able to dictate clock use.

Seemingly at will.

I looked at how much clock used in offensive possessions. 2 to 5 minutes all game with throttle to the floor. 

Lanning then dropped a gear and jaked down the hill on the last drive for 8+ minutes and 3 points. 

Well done coach.

One word, REFRESHING! We have a grand master on the sideline, once again.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1

One of the rather negative tweets (I hate Twitter!) yesterday about Mario C's play calling really did underscore an apparent difference between him and our new HC Dan Lanning:

Yesterday, Oregon, on 4th and 1, on their own 30, up 10, went for it (and got the 1st down).  Mario, at mid-field, down 8, punted.

That is something else we learned yesterday.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Learned the coaches are right in starting Nix.  Ty did not look all that comfortable.

Also, loved the QB under center; using the sneak for the 4 and 1, and then a different play from the same formation later on.  More tape for others to worry about.

WSU up next . . . looked bad week 1, bad stats in a good win week 2, put it together week 3, crash and burn week 4.

Go Ducks

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

A) Only 48 penalty yards

B) TDs on the last drive of first half and the first drive of the second half

That’s how you win the Pac. 

We haven’t seen that consistently since the CK years. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Steven A said:

Learned the coaches are right in starting Nix.  Ty did not look all that comfortable.

Also, loved the QB under center; using the sneak for the 4 and 1, and then a different play from the same formation later on.  More tape for others to worry about.

WSU up next . . . looked bad week 1, bad stats in a good win week 2, put it together week 3, crash and burn week 4.

Go Ducks

I don't see Ty as uncomfortable, at least I wouldn't describe him that way. I just don't see him commanding the field, and leading the teams emotions like Nix does. 

When you see a leader on the field or just about anywhere you can sense it, feel it when you are in their presence. This is something Ty needs to learn from Nix.

The first play call I put on the coaches, and then the tipped ball wasn't on Ty. I do think Bo pulls both of those plays off. He was in sync and the players were paying complete attention to what Bo was going to do.

I also think this is something that isn't easy for a back-up to come in and have. Maybe with Utah last year, where the team had already picked the back-up as the team captain, but the coaches decided to go with the other guy.

Hopefully Bo stays healthy and we won't see if the team really would rally around Ty. Right now I agree Bo has it, and Ty is looking to find it.

I will say players love to see a qb turn the ball up field like Bo does. He is a players qb, and has the edge that commands respect. Nobody doubts Bo would do anything he is asking them to do.

This is an interesting subject, and I am on record as liking Ty as our qb. I have nothing but respect for Bo, and completely support the coaches decision, just like to ponder all the subjects, tough and easy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, Haywarduck said:

One word, REFRESHING! We have a grand master on the sideline, once again.

Or at least one who embraces the 'Kellesqe' philosophy of hurry-up offense after a big play, and before a big play, and anytime the ball's ready to snap unless clock burning's called for.  Yeah, it's a big reason why Oregon football caught on nationwide when Kelly was here.  Fans love it and it wins games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:46 PM, Mic said:

Or at least one who embraces the 'Kellesqe' philosophy of hurry-up offense after a big play, and before a big play, and anytime the ball's ready to snap unless clock burning's called for.  Yeah, it's a big reason why Oregon football caught on nationwide when Kelly was here.  Fans love it and it wins games.

Absolutely, this is the kind of football that made me a Duck's football fan. It was so much fun to watch.

I was thinking after the first two drives, Oregon Football is back. Speed was everywhere, fast paced, chunk plays abounded, and the plan was aggressive on both sides of the ball!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 10:33 AM, Log Haulin said:

Seemingly at will.

Game management is looking like really plus for this staff. It's good to see all the little things are being taken care of, plays getting in early, no stupid timeouts, good use of the clock. These are the things that can make or brake a close game and unlike the last few years Lanning is on top of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

One impression I had is that Bo still can be coached. One thing that has been repeated here and throughout the media (and during every game) is that Bo is still inconsistent after 4 years in the game.

What I am referring to is Bo's use of the out of bounds pass. Without doubt KD and DL have been drilling that into his head since the Georgia game. From what we saw yesterday, maybe it is starting to sink in... a little. He didn't seem to force any (many?) dumb throws through non-existent windows. Instead, he threw the ball away to live another down. It worked.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I love what Franklin & Cota are doing, but what's wrong with Dont'e Thornton, Kris Hutson, & Seven?  The three of them seem to be non-existent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dorlus and DJ were mentioned above. They played very well, but more than that, they are keys cogs in the defense. We need them healthy and strong for every big game.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:15 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

I love what Franklin & Cota are doing, but what's wrong with Dont'e Thornton, Kris Hutson, & Seven?  The three of them seem to be non-existent.

In-game matchups, perhaps?  

We should see them more against WSU as Lanning & Dillingham like to spread the ball around.  We have at least 2 good TE's, these 5 receivers you mention and 4 RB's.  There are only so many plays in a game and with Bo running the ball, that makes 5 RB's. That's at least 12 good options to distribute the ball to. More, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bucky was 7 yards past the LOS and Nix was leading a block 5 yards in front of him. That one play made me a big Bo fan.

• Like 1

The thing about Bo is you can’t buy the kind of determined focus he seems to be putting on display to turn his career around. When a quarterback refuses to accept anything short of the goals they’ve  set for themself, it becomes an invaluable team asset.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Bucky was 7 yards past the LOS and Nix was leading a block 5 yards in front of him. That one play made me a big Bo fan.

I saw him throw several blocks. One good thing I notice is that he is being smart about the blocks he throws. He usually just throws a shoulder into a guy to slow him down just a bit. He knows that he doesn't have to throw his whole body into someone else to completely stop them in their tracks.

This is coaching. I don't know when Bo was taught this, but it is a very smart move. The guy would get banged up bad if he was always throwing his body into people.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, Flyin Vee said:

It's what a good QB (sans injury) is supposed to do in an offense like this.  But, yeah, I give him credit for that and it's the kind of thing that helps build team respect for the QB and the willingness to do the same for others.  This type of thing has got to be coach instilled.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:19 PM, Jon Sousa said:

This is coaching. I don't know when Bo was taught this, but it is a very smart move. The guy would get banged up bad if he was always throwing his body into people.

Seems we were on the same page with this at the same time.  

• Thumbs Up 2