Dr Hilarius

Was the Onside Kick === The Pick?

KD and DL just out-Kelleyed CK.  

Whoa.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, but it was pretty darned important and helped to change a very important game.  Damn these guys are gutsy!  Whew!

Onside Kick Celebration by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I would suggest that the onside kick, together with the 3 - 4th down calls, two in our own end and the other a point in time where we needed at least 3 pts, make for a truly defining moment for our coach Lanning. 

He truly has the beginnings of being a great head coach!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Was the Onside Kick === The Pick?"

No.

Kelly called the same 2nd quarter after TD onside kick against Stanford in Autzen when Andrew Luck was qb and Harbaugh was coach. A game changer then and again today. Neither Stanford or UCLA recovered  - pun intended.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The "Pick" represents the turning point in the trajectory of the program. The day Oregon said "we are here". That onside kick was a well timed, great play, but prolly won't swing the program in an upward direction. (But who knows) This could be a great conversation. What are the pivotal moments in Duck history? (the footnotes version)

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, DanLduck said:

I would suggest that the onside kick, together with the 3 - 4th down calls, two in our own end and the other a point in time where we needed at least 3 pts, make for a truly defining moment for our coach Lanning. 

Hey, when you know, you know.  The onside kick was ballsy, but the QB sneaks on 4th down is knowing your personnel and how they match up with your opponent.  Our OL owned UCLA's DL. That was confident play calling.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:13 PM, DuckIt said:

Hey, when you know, you know.  The onside kick was ballsy, but the QB sneaks on 4th down is knowing your personnel and how they match up with your opponent.  Our OL owned UCLA's DL. That was confident play calling.

Ducks went on 4th two times, B2B, in single drive. From their own side of the field. Who does that? Phenomenal execution by the starting QB.

Bo Nix stock jumped in the Heisman race. Hope he ends up in NY.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks went on 4th two times, B2B, in single drive. From their own side of the field. Who does that? Phenomenal execution by the starting QB.

Bo Nix stock jumped in the Heisman race. Hope he ends up in NY.

Yeah, the whole time I was holding my breath, hoping that there were no false starts.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Krsmqn said:

The "Pick" represents the turning point in the trajectory of the program

That, and the Huskies were driving for an almost certain game winning TD before "The Pick".

Kenny Wheaton's pick turned the outcome of the game into a win for our Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1

Not directed toward anyone (and not trying to stomp on anyone's takes)

BUT

Anyone who downplays "the pick" most likely just doesn't fully understand "the pick". I think maybe they just see a great play that beat a hated rival and helped turn around a season ...

AND

Not the total pivot point and change in direction of a long downtrodden program.

That set into motion Oregon moving from a program battling to keep themselves out of the cellar of Power 5 - and playing 6-6 Tulsa in an Independence Bowl was a huge deal (that indeed broke a 25 year bowl drought) to a largely successful 28 year run (25 bowls) and what today is widely and regularly recognized as a top 5-15 program (just below the very "blue bloods" of the sport) that battles for many of the best recruits in the country and has won major bowls and played for National Championships.

Rarely (maybe outside of the Florida schools rise in the 1980s) does this ever happen in the college football world, let alone can be traced not only to one game, but one play!

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, ArkieDuck said:

Kelly called the same 2nd quarter after TD onside kick against Stanford in Autzen when Andrew Luck was qb and Harbaugh was coach. A game changer then and again today. Neither Stanford or UCLA recovered  - pun intended.

It was also the kicker that recovered the onside kick against Stanford

On 10/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, DanLduck said:

Or certainly a risky one, he and Dillingham both.  At some point in time ...it could work against Oregon.  I'm betting DL & KD will know when to do something like this again and when not to.

“The Pick” stands alone.

Next turning point for Duck football is winning a National Championship. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

that was totally awesome!.  3 for 3 in 4th down plays and 1 for 1 in onside kicks!

When CK used to to this stuff, he earned the nickname BB Chip.

Has DL earned the BB Dan yet?

• Go Ducks! 1

@Desert Duck Okay, I admit I might have been caught up in the moment…

The Onside Kick is most definitely not === the Pick, but as @Charles Fischer said, it is ~ the Pick. 

I was a frosh driving back to Portland when I heard the Pick live on the radio and camped out overnight for Rose Bowl tix later that year.

So I am 💯 reverent of the Pick. 

The Onside Kick is ~ the Pick bc it signaled a new era in Duck football. 

DL described the decision-making process… 

A) they used the BYE WEEK to learn an extra play

B) the extra play they picked to learn is essentially a FORCED TURNOVER

C) they managed the WEATHER and game clock to determine when to use the extra play

D) they learned/taught the play to PERFECT EXECUTION 

That is 3D chess and is my/the new bar for OBD. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree the onside kick/recovery is not equal to the pick.  However, it was a genius move at the right time and place.  The fact they pulled this off against Chip caused me to laugh my backside off.

Way to go Coach Lanning and staff!!

Go Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1

The Kick wasn't the Pick but I think it was the fake statue of liberty play Dixon waltzed into the end zone with at Michigan. A program defining moment. The Ducks are back in the national conversation. Lanning will now be the Boy Wonder coach, Bo will now be the Heisman dark horse. The Ducks will continue their weekly progression while storming through their Pac 12 schedule. They will soon become the national fan favorite to claim that coveted #4 spot.

Hind sight will show this play in proper context but it just might be a program altering moment.

• Great post! 1

On 10/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Kick wasn't the Pick

“The Kick!” i love it!! 😎😍

I like that, as “The Kick” signifies a new era for Oregon football! Right?

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck