Log Haulin

Cal a Legit Trap Game?

Next week kinda makes me nervous.

It could be if OBD take a relaxed attitude towards next week.  That big game hangover is real, especially when you win it.  

Not to me, as they simply do not have the offense that outscores us even if their defense does hold us down a bit.

I was really concerned about Washington State, and rightly so. We were lucky to escape!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, Log Haulin said:

Are you watching them against the Purple mutts? Call’s offensive line is playing terrible. The offense looks weak. 

Call’s defense looks ok but I sure don’t suspect that Cal can stop Oregon enough times given their offensive woes and Oregon’s size speed and depth. 

Next week I suspect we will see a massive difference in the Jimmys and Joes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The same Cal that handed the Buffs their first win of the season?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Turned on Cal/fusky. Yea, nevermind. Both teams look bad. Fusky looked good first few games. Horrible football being played in this game.

The only way Cal is a 'trap' is if Oregon lets it happen.  Or a very serious injury occurs to Bo during practice week.  Bite my tongue!!

I think this is another place the Ducks will benefit from CDL’s attitude towards the game.  I think much like Kirby he will strive to keep players focused on the task at hand.  The old cliche line “be where your feet are” attitude.  A true trap game starts in the practices leading up to the game.  It could happen, but I have the feeling Oregon’s coaching staff is not a staff that will allow for this to be a problem.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning is keeping this team engaged. 

If it was MC Oregon would have beaten zona on the road by maybe 10 points ... Oregon put them away with no issue and closed that door on zona. 

I'd be nervous if we still have MC... But not with Lanning. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

Turned on Cal/fusky. Yea, nevermind. Both teams look bad. Fusky looked good first few games. Horrible football being played in this game.

And Washington is wearing their new "royal" uniforms! 

I think there will be more Oregon fans at Cal next week than Cal fans. Certainly lounder.

There is zero crowd noise at Cal tonight against Washington. Also most of the stands are empty. 

Cal, Stanford and UCLA don't put fans in stadiums. They are super quiet. 

"Cal a Legit Trap Game?"

No. But I will say, if you're looking to go to a road game, Strawberry Canyon is a great place to do it.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:06 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I think this is another place the Ducks will benefit from CDL’s attitude towards the game.  I think much like Kirby he will strive to keep players focused on the task at hand.  The old cliche line “be where your feet are” attitude.  A true trap game starts in the practices leading up to the game.  It could happen, but I have the feeling Oregon’s coaching staff is not a staff that will allow for this to be a problem.  

Being beat down early (Georgia) and hit in the face and knocked down only to come back to win (WSU) fosters a much different attitude, in my humble opinion. 

If the Ducks were 6-1 with a close loss to GA and blowout wins thereafter, I could see it happen under another HC.

The "it's like whatever" perspective DeAnthony revealed regarding the Rose bowl is not happening with this team -- I agree not likely under Lanning. 

Was it Franklin that was jawing after a great catch and then Lanning shutting that down quickly? The receiver patted his chest and clearly said, "on me". I LOVED that scene. I have respect for both of them.

• Go Ducks! 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:12 AM, nw777b said:

Was it Franklin that was jawing after a great catch and then Lanning shutting that down quickly? The receiver patted his chest and clearly said, "on me". I LOVED that scene. I have respect for both of them.

The culture is taking hold in a lasting and meaningful way. 

Also... Holy crap, Franklin just blew up last game with some big time numbers. It was also really good to see Nix with that deep pass connect with a reciever and it go for a touchdown rather than the reciever sprawl out to make the catch at the 2 yard line. 

Extra fun against UCLA whose defense is set up to not allow plays like that at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning and crew have to date been pretty good at exorcising old ghosts.  In the past Cal’s terrible, no good coach (not going to mention some on this board were actively saying he would be a great hire but… 🙂 ) would manage to stymie the Ducks.  

Don’t see that happening this year.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, David Marsh said:

There is zero crowd noise at Cal tonight against Washington. Also most of the stands are empty. 

Cal, Stanford and UCLA don't put fans in stadiums. They are super quiet. 

No, but when Oregon comes in to town, that'll probably change.  Fans always want the blood of big favorites and O will be a huge one  Wilcox will have his team as prepped as he can and the fans will be there, not like the 59,900 yesterday in Autzen, but probably > any recent game there.  

Won't matter.  Lanning has his team focused on how to win football games.  

My "eye-ball" test doesn't see any trap games, and Lanning & Co.'s coaching reinforces my cataracts.

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, Steven A said:

My "eye-ball" test doesn't see any trap games, and Lanning & Co.'s coaching reinforces my cataracts.

If there is any "trap" game left it'd be OSU in Corvallis.  I maintain that will be Oregon's toughest test, sans Utah, left on the schedule.  

For some 'mysterious' reason (lol) the Beavers never need any incentive to spank the Ducks. Johnathan Smith could win Pac-12 Coach of the Year (snatching it away from Dan Lanning) if he manages to win that game, assuming his team wins out beforehand.  Which it could very well do.

But Oregon is too focused now to lose. Dan Lanning nips out Lincoln Riley for C-of-the-Y, (if the PAC voters are smart instead of fawning to media).

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don’t see OBD falling into any trap this year for two reasons.

#1, this coaching staff will not let them.

#2, THESE DUCKS ARE UNSTOPPABLE!  At least according to FOX!  (although I tend to agree!)

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, PittDuck said:

#2, THESE DUCKS ARE UNSTOPPABLE!  At least according to FOX!  (although I tend to agree!)

Well, they're starting to look like they are.  

Sans the knee-down yesterday, it might have been 8 scores-in-a-row on possession, topping their previous two games where it was 7-in-a-row on possessions.  that'd make for 22-in-a-row possessions where they've scored. As it stands, they've scored on 7-in-a-row 3 times in a row!

The NCAA may have to institute a new rule against such 'disrespect' for the opponent. 

No.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, Mic said:

Johnathan Smith could win Pac-12 Coach of the Year (snatching it away from Dan Lanning) if he manages to win that game, assuming his team wins out beforehand.  Which it could very well do.

Neither will win coach of the year ... We all know that Lincoln Riley has already won that award and we are just waiting to hear the announcement at the end of the year. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Think even if Ducks have a little letdown they will still win by 20 plus. Cal just isn't any good and this game will be no different then when we were little kids playing the bigger kids ... just ain't gonna win!

Side note is that our game is on Fox at 12:30 and Trojans get P12 Network at 4 pm. Another impressive Duck game in front of a big audience including some potential recruits can't be bad. 

Edited by LADuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/23/2022 at 9:50 AM, David Marsh said:

Neither will win coach of the year ... We all know that Lincoln Riley has already won that award and we are just waiting to hear the announcement at the end of the year. 

In the infamous (if rather meekly uttered) words of Lee Corso:  "Not so fast...!"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, JDuck said:

No.

I like succinct.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:50 AM, David Marsh said:

Don't let the Pac-10 door hit you on the way out, Lincoln.

• Mic drop 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, Log Haulin said:

Naw...  Utah & OSU two toughest games left before the CC which the Ducks can make, if they win both of those two. One home, one away.

I think we will have a tough game at Cal, we always seem to, however it would be normal to have a little let down after playing a perfect game which we did yesterday.

I just don't see Lanning allowing this team to let down.  It's not in his DNA, and he has his team motivated.  I can't believe how effective our new coach has been week to week, and it's becoming more and more obvious how lucky we are to have him.

• Applause 1

From the post game presser, “The standard doesn’t change, each week we are playing Oregon” It seems that if you have the same opponent every week, then there isn’t a trap game scenario. In all honesty, any past coach that we have had, I would agree about the trap game. But I don’t have that feeling with CDL. We almost got caught with the WSU game. But the buy in hadn’t stuck with the players yet. After they ralleyed for the win, I think it stuck. Each week going forward, we are playing Oregon. The standard doesn’t change. I’m sold and I think the players are as well.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1