Annie

Traeshon Holden is Back on the Team

According to KEZI News just now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Wide receiver Traeshon Holden has been reinstated at Oregon after all charges were dropped...

Now confirmed by multiple sources. Lanning has essentially said that new information dictated the reversal. 

“Following the release of new information from the Lane County District Attorney’s office, student-athlete Traeshon Holden has been reinstated to the Oregon football team,” Dan Lanning said in a statement. “We will always take allegations of this nature very seriously. However, when new information is provided by authorities, such as in this instance, disciplinary action will be reevaluated and adjusted, when appropriate.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Annie and EastBayDuckDad!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

“I’m happy to have been exonerated, and I’m looking forward to a great season with the Ducks."

So are we.

• Thumbs Up 2

The start to good news. Spring FB can't get here soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not unexpected after all the charges were dropped.

Glad the pendulum swings both ways when a young man is booted from the team for his alleged actions. I don’t mind Dan Lanning making an error in this case, as long as he is fair when he perhaps was too quick to be judge and jury. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

BREAKING: WR Traeshon Holden reinstated at Oregon after arrest charges dropped

After Holden was arrested on multiple charges last week, including Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, Menacing, and Coercion, he was quickly dismissed from the team, according to a statement from head coach Dan Lanning.

However, the Eugene District Attorney later dropped all charges after reviewing EPD body camera footage and interviewing witnesses to the incident.

On Friday, it was announced that Holden would be reinstated to the team.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Wide receiver Traeshon Holden has been reinstated at Oregon after all charges were dropped against the Alabama transfer.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only wish he'd used the verbiage: "Indefinitely Suspended" when this started.

• Thumbs Up 1

More details in this account:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Holden was reinstated following the decision by the Lane County District Attorney’s office not to...

Edited by jrw

Well now that this officially done. I think DL and Oregon handled this well.

Once they were presented with new evidence they had enough integrity to change course. That's a good sign. A lot of people wouldn't have.

My only question is why did he have a gun in the first place?

Situations like this really are a two-edged sword.  The typical "We are aware of the situation and waiting to gather all the facts" often smacks of "Yeah, he was a bad boy, but he's a valuable player so we'll just wait until this blows over and pretend nothing happened."

On the other hand, our nation's justice system has always been based on Innocent Until Proven Guilty, so it's concerning when someone is disciplined or released based only on an accusation.  

Personally, I would rather a coach or AD wait until the facts are in before issuing discipline.  Seems to me DL jumped the gun on this one.  Must have been awful for Holden to think he'd lost his place on the team if he hadn't done anything wrong.

Let's hope this provides this young man even more fuel to prove he can live up to his dreams he had coming out of high school. Most of these transfers have bigger dreams than have been achieved. These kind of bumps in the road can either push them down, or be a pivot point to making the tough choices needed to become great.

Make yourself great Traeshon. You got tripped up, get up, brush yourself off, and run better routes going forward.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 7:05 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Situations like this really are a two-edged sword.  The typical "We are aware of the situation and waiting to gather all the facts" often smacks of "Yeah, he was a bad boy, but he's a valuable player so we'll just wait until this blows over and pretend nothing happened."

On the other hand, our nation's justice system has always been based on Innocent Until Proven Guilty, so it's concerning when someone is disciplined or released based only on an accusation.  

Personally, I would rather a coach or AD wait until the facts are in before issuing discipline.  Seems to me DL jumped the gun on this one.  Must have been awful for Holden to think he'd lost his place on the team if he hadn't done anything wrong.

DL's still learning to be a head coach. We saw the learning curve last season with some controversial decisions on the field. 

Now he's learning the off the field decision making process. 

I have faith in him and still think he has a tremendous upside.

• Go Ducks! 1

Is it political to say that “this young man may have been subject to “spin the wheel of charges” and arrested before an investigation was completed or even started. And that “My hope is that his civil rights were not violated but if they were he takes legal recourse”?

jist asking for a friend😀

Edited by Flyin Vee
  • Thumbs Up 1

Genuinely happy that this situation turned out positive for this young man.

I like DL's swift response in both directions. Showed the team, staff and school that their is no tolerance in his program for any indescretions.

Showed the team, staff and school that he can swifty act when he may have made a snap, knee jerk reaction. He did not let his ego get in the way. Well done.....

Now lets turn this into a positive on the field. Mistakes will be made, however growth comes thru learning and overcoming our mistakes.

I hope that GK and the 10 presidents can get their egos out of the way and learn from their mistakes!

Too much to ask?

On 2/25/2023 at 8:15 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Is it political to say that “this young man may have been subject to “spin the wheel of charges” and arrested before an investigation was completed or even started. And that “My hope is that his civil rights were not violated but if they were he takes legal recourse”?

Just asking for a friend😀

No, but why try to start something that could go an ugly direction?

This is what I HATE about moderating, as people feel their need to stir the pot is more important than keeping the peace on the forum.

NOBODY would want to deal with the crap I do every week.

Just responding for a friend…  🙄

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Genuinely happy that this situation turned out positive for this young man.

I like DL's swift response in both directions. Showed the team, staff and school that their is no tolerance in his program for any indescretions.

Showed the team, staff and school that he can swifty act when he may have made a snap, knee jerk reaction. He did not let his ego get in the way. Well done.....

Now lets turn this into a positive on the field. Mistakes will be made, however growth comes thru learning and overcoming our mistakes.

I hope that GK and the 10 presidents can get their egos out of the way and learn from their mistakes!

Too much to ask?

I think Lanning sent a strong message of "walk away, don't put yourself in a potentially risky situation".  Not a bad lesson for a group of young men to learn, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, Flyin Vee said:

If you have to ask if something is political, it probably is to some people, so just leave it off OBDF. Political issues go off the rails quickly and no fun to moderate.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I like DL's swift response in both directions.

Yes, a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation.

Probably won't be the last time and probably a good precedence set.

• Thumbs Up 2

None of us know what DL was initially told.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:15 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Agree with the sentiment from others, but it would be nice if this could be part of a civil discussion. The problem, or it isn't a problem, we don't discuss these situations even though it is ripe for just that. As Charles has stated, if you have to mention any of the trigger words, it isn't worthy of hitting submit. 

On 2/25/2023 at 9:11 AM, McDuck said:

I think Lanning sent a strong message of "walk away, don't put yourself in a potentially risky situation".  Not a bad lesson for a group of young men to learn, IMO.

According to the police Traeshon did try to ‘walk away’ (deescalate the conflict). The conflict was so severe and escalated so quickly that the police said it would have been appropriate for for him to use force to protect himself or others. 

• Wow 2