FishDuck Article

FishDuck Take: Oregon Spring Game Concerns and Confidence

If you are looking for something sweet, then this article about the Oregon Spring game is not for you. I offer my perspectives of the game without any reason to suck-up to anyone, and my views do not represent the feelings of our staff at FishDuck. I wish to offer a balanced “take” of the beginning of the second year ...

FISHDUCK.COM

If you are looking for something sweet, then this article about the Oregon Spring game is not for you. I offer my perspectives of the game...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Charles, thanks for your honest evaluation of the Spring game and the players involved. Your assessment was spot on.....

Both D units made it difficult for the offense to put points on the board. Up front pressure and tight coverage were on display. For me, it was difficult to tell how the best offensive lineman were split amongst both units. Both front sevens took advantage of any opportunities inexperienced players provided.

As for Ty Thompson, he showed improvement in a number of phases. Is that improvement enough to lead the Ducks to 10 wins if he was the starter? I suppose if DL and Stein bring in a QB thru the portal then we will have the coaches answer that question.

Would have liked to have seen more play or any play from all the QB's. Lightning can strike at any time on the football field.......having multiple back up options would be nice.

GO Ducks.........

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since it was a glorified scrimmage, and a good exposing one at that, my best takeaway was watching touchbacks, decent punting and Cam Lewis looking as if his leg is stronger.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Excellent point about the defensive secondary, "The amount of YAC, (yardage after completion) was low due to much better tackling technique, and fewer missed tackles than last year." I saw many short passes that last year would've gained 5 or 6 yards end up with no gain because of better tackling and close db's.

I forgot to mention Saturday that the move of Jamal Hill to linebacker will greatly improve the Duck defense.  He's a quick and sure tackler.

I didn't realize at the game that the running attack had so few yards.  Thanks for pointing that out in today's article!

On a side note, I don't know how many times I've called Chase Cota his dad's name.   I claim my old age and the fact that Chad was one of my early heroes as my excuse.  Sorry Mr. FishDuck I guess I'm not the only one. 😉

Thanks Charles for writing today's excellent article!  Your information, for instance "Bird Bomb" and "Georgia Havoc", is much appreciated!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would add the offense may not need a Heisman caliber qb to win games. With the weapons available, and the O-line, we may be able to win some games with a serviceable qb. The D might also be good enough to help win some games. 

I do agree it is not a good sign our new senior qb with experience didn't see the field. Maybe beating North Park, with an enrollment close to what my high school had, isn't a good way to prep for D-1 football? I think we have some options, with good coaching, to sit Bo for short periods. I also agree there isn't greatness sitting on the bench.

I do look forward to seeing the defense we thought we were going to have last year, materialize this year. We can't afford to see the defense fail like it did at critical junctures again. What I saw on the field gave me hope.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 5:26 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Is that improvement enough to lead the Ducks to 10 wins if he was the starter?

In my view?  No.

The Pac-12 is going to be SO TOUGH this fall, that we will have a difficult time getting to 10 wins in the regular season even with Bo Nix, IMHO.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Great review Charles. I was at the game and the vibe in the air was electric, I think it will turn into the recruiting bonus that Lanning was looking for. After reviewing the video yesterday, I'd say all of my in person perspectives were validated.

First, the sound of that ball being punted was music to my ears. Punt punt punt punt! The improvement on D all across the board was impressive. good passes turned into contested receptions or broken up incompletions. Ball carriers went down when met by the D most of the day on both sides. Who knew that was even a thing! I'm not concerned about the O at all. There are play makers everywhere. They just ran into a much improved D.

The glaring red flag I'm afraid is TT at QB2. I hope he thanked the refs after the game because on his very first play, he passed the ball on the 19 yard line back to the 18 where Funa blew it up. Instead of a live ball scoop and score, the refs blew the play dead. There were too many more near pics to count. On film you can see him just stare at where he's about to throw. His emotionless whatever demeanor was also more disturbing to witness in person. QB3 Novosad looked much more energized and into the game. I say either he jumps to QB2 today or portal in a senior QB2.

I was really impressed with Hill as a linebacker. It looked like he was easily doing what Lanning wanted done at that position last year. He brought down Bucky fairly easily in a 1 on 1 battle with no help and we all know how hard that is even for a good lineman.Burch also looked like the real deal. I think Tez will be that DAT like spark the offense has been missing for years and Holden will be the go to guy to keep the chains moving.

Overall, I was very impressed. I think with a QB2 upgrade, this is a legit Pac Championship game/ playoff contender.

• Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 5/1/2023 at 6:19 AM, Steven A said:

Since it was a glorified scrimmage, and a good exposing one at that, my best takeaway was watching touchbacks, decent punting and Cam Lewis looking as if his leg is stronger.

In today's Eugene paper--Lanning was quoted as being pleased with how most of the kickoffs were deep in the end zone, or out of it.  Both Cam Lewis and Andrew Boyle were doing that, although I give Cam the nod for a few yards longer.  Punting averaged nearly 42 yards between both teams, thus it was not fantastic--but an improvement.  Good stuff!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 6:30 AM, Smith72 said:

On a side note, I don't know how many times I've called Chase Cota his dad's name.

I can't believe I did that!  As I was keyboarding it...I was thinking "Chase" but when the fingers punched it came out Chad and I did not even pick it up in proofreading!  Goes to show how that 1994 team changed Oregon football and is burned into our subconscious.

Good catch, and it is now corrected--thanks!

• Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 7:04 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would add the offense may not need a Heisman caliber qb to win games.

I agree that Heisman caliber is not needed, but is TT good enough to beat Washington or Utah on the road?  Arizona State?  We may disagree on this, because I doubt Oregon can win a single game with Ty at QB.  

• Yikes! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 7:04 AM, Haywarduck said:

What I saw on the field gave me hope.

Hayward....that summarizes my thoughts about the defense, and you wrote it best.  I overlooked what the total impact of what the portal transfers could be....because added to all the veterans and newbies on defense--this could end up being a very good defense this fall!  (And the coaching is evident)

Agree?

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 8:15 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

His emotionless whatever demeanor was also more disturbing to witness in person.

This is the lack of "it" factor with TT that I've noted on TV over the last two years.  No presence, no leadership aura....just a dud.

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My only mini gripe is I wish Bo would have been pulled after a quarter or so and we could have seen a real battle for QB2. It's hard to judge Novosad on such a small sample size. Some of his throws where off but so were many of Bo's. On one pass play, he didn't see anything and just kept it and ran picking up several yards, the exact amount I can't remember. Just that play alone showed good real time awareness and self confidence. Contrast that with TT repeatedly mechanically throwing into tight coverage with near disastrous results. The Tez 60+ yard TD was mostly Tez being Tez. The 60+ yard Hutson TD was a nice throw to a receiver that had beaten his coverage by a few steps.

I really hate piling on the guy but with better punting and a much improved D all across the board, the QB2 issue has become the lone elephant in the room.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would add the offense may not need a Heisman caliber qb to win games. With the weapons available, and the O-line, we may be able to win some games with a serviceable qb. The D might also be good enough to help win some games. 

I do agree it is not a good sign our new senior qb with experience didn't see the field. Maybe beating North Park, with an enrollment close to what my high school had, isn't a good way to prep for D-1 football? I think we have some options, with good coaching, to sit Bo for short periods. I also agree there isn't greatness sitting on the bench.

I do look forward to seeing the defense we thought we were going to have last year, materialize this year. We can't afford to see the defense fail like it did at critical junctures again. What I saw on the field gave me hope.

Great take but I need to see the OL in real games and not a scrimmage. Two sides of a coin. Yes, the D shut down the run game but the mix-and-match OLs were not opening holes. 

And while I am very happy about how the edge rushers locked; again, this causes me concern regarding the OL. At least regarding depth. 

I do think the D will be improved but improved enough with 5 preseason top-25 teams on the roster; with road games against 3 of the 5. The O is going to have to play a whole better than it showed on Saturday. And with the change in timing rules, it will have to play better while running fewer plays.

Sorry, but I did not like seeing Nix throw a number of 'wounded ducks.' His velocity did not seem as good as last season. I hope his leg injury is not lingering. A number of times he threw the ball without setting his feet. Will he miss Dilly's coaching? His play at Auburn dropped off after Dilly left.

I like the receivers. I think Dez was a great pickup and as Charles noted, will likely replace Cota but with more RAC ability. The frosh drops? I'll blame it on 'first game' jitters and hope I am right.

Fun day. Great to see the Ducks out on the field.

One of the most improved players I saw was Patrick Herbert. A needed showing at a lack-of-depth TE position. 

Fun and entertaining game Great for the fans and the recruits but as a barometer for the regular season? 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/1/2023 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is the lack of "it" factor with TT that I've noted on TV over the last two years.  No presence, no leadership aura....just a dud.

Glad is on the roster depth wise but IMO he would be better off transferring to a G5 team. I do give him credit for staying and competing but this could be due to not having much interest from other programs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree that Heisman caliber is not needed, but is TT good enough to beat Washington or Utah on the road?  Arizona State?  We may disagree on this, because I doubt Oregon can win a single game with Ty at QB.  

Agree about the first half Ty, but the second half Ty could win, or help win a few games. I will agree a qb can't come out and not be the man, leader on the field. That was what was so evident in last years spring game, Bo owned the team, Ty was a bit player. This was the first time I saw Ty starting to own the team while on the field, that is critical! I just hope we don't ever see the first half Ty again.

I will also say receivers can make or break a qb. Qb's have won the heisman because they had NFL talent to throw too, not because they were the best qb (Johnny football). We have that kind of talent now, and if we land Zahkari even more guys who make qb's look great. Guys who can make 50/50 balls theirs are invaluable, huge.

On defense I do think we have recruited, Devon Jackson, along with transferring in talent, Jacobs, Burch, and developed enough talent, Popo, Bassa, Funa, Hill, to have a pretty decent defense. Next year will be another step forward too, but this year we have more talent which fits the defense, knows the defense, and seems to have the mentality to create havoc!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

with better punting and a much improved D all across the board, the QB2 issue has become the lone elephant in the room.

Amen Duck-Brother.  It is a massive Achilles heel for us. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, Haywarduck said:

Agree about the first half Ty, but the second half Ty could win, or help win a few games. I will agree a qb can't come out and not be the man, leader on the field. That was what was so evident in last years spring game, Bo owned the team, Ty was a bit player. This was the first time I saw Ty starting to own the team while on the field, that is critical! I just hope we don't ever see the first half Ty again.

I will also say receivers can make or break a qb. Qb's have won the heisman because they had NFL talent to throw too, not because they were the best qb (Johnny football). We have that kind of talent now, and if we land Zahkari even more guys who make qb's look great. Guys who can make 50/50 balls theirs are invaluable, huge.

On defense I do think we have recruited, Devon Jackson, along with transferring in talent, Jacobs, Burch, and developed enough talent, Popo, Bassa, Funa, Hill, to have a pretty decent defense. Next year will be another step forward too, but this year we have more talent which fits the defense, knows the defense, and seems to have the mentality to create havoc!

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!

• Applause 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take but I need to see the OL in real games and not a scrimmage. Two sides of a coin. Yes, the D shut down the run game but the mix-and-match OLs were not opening holes. 

Our offensive line situation right now is normal to me; we have six players who are experienced, tough and can start and play at a couple of positions. Rarely do we have true two or three deep experienced talent at offensive line.  But I do love some of the young-guns coming up, and with some playing time will turn into starters in 2024.

By contrast...the defensive line depth is huge; we DO have a three-deep between returning players, portal transfers and an impressive newbie in Matayo Ug.  I have absolutely no concerns about the offensive line or defensive line.  This team now looks strong, and deep with the exception of the most important position on the field, IMHO.

Ty...it is a head-scratcher to us too.

Ty Thompson by J3P.jpg

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good take by FD Fearless Leader. The overall look and coverage skills in the DBs is significantly improved by the influx of portal talent. Bo wisely threw a couple passes away when the target was covered or about to get blown up for a loss.  The bookends in Burch and Brandon, Mase and Matayo at the edge provided a lot of pressure to hurry those throws. Middle of D-line was solid. In a true game there would have been several sacks. The LBs didn't have their names called out much, but the paucity of rushing yards was a statement to how effective they were.

I'm perhaps less concerned about the relative lack of offensive production. When fall rolls around and the O-line has it's starting 5 + 2-3 rotational players, Oregon will be OK. Ditto for WR and RB. Dowdell is a load and may replace James as the short yardage guy.

TE needs depth and it looks like they were underutilized in the spring game due to that. Getting TFerg back will be a big help and PHerb is bigger and better this year. Sadik will be very good with some work. I see Tez as a Charles Nelson kind of receiver, but with better wheels and Holden as assuming the Cota role. So much talent has been added to that WR room on top of Franklin and Hutson, with potentially more to come.

I agree the Ducks are in big trouble without Bo. TT is still just too mechanical and lacks anticipation and field sense. He got better in the second half once he had some success, but his receivers were open when he hit them and he threw no one open with touch and anticipation. Should have been picked at least twice. Portal in, portal out at QB in 2024?

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, Haywarduck said:

I'll certainly agree with that concerning our defense.  

Could TT beat Portland State?  Sure.  Arizona State on the road when the 'Devils will be scoring tons of points?  Nope.  And they are what...the fifth toughest team on the schedule?  Sixth?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm very encouraged about our defense, not so much about our QB play.  Bo was pretty mediocre, but he always seems to rise to the occasion when needed and he just doesn't get rattled.  Sorry, TT just does not instill confidence I'm really not seeing anything new here and Novosad looked liked a boy among men (huge caveat here, he should still be in high school).  The other caveat on the QB play is that they were under pretty much constant pressure, hats off to the defensive line in particular they were getting pressure without blitzing for the most part.

The lack of a running game isn't that concering to me.  Is it from a superior defensive line performance or an inferior offensive line performance?  Probably a bit of both, but I feel pretty confident in both these position groups when we get our best players all on one side of ball.

We have legitimate deep threat receivers, and please just get Tez the ball in the open field, he'll do the rest!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would expect the QB depth situation to be resolved before the start of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a legit starting caliber qb transfer to get a shot at replacing BO after next season. TT could still be in contention once he gains confidence. I would play him for the first half against PSU and see what he can or can't accomplish.

I dont want BO playing much at all against the Viks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 1:42 PM, Duckhart said:

I would expect the QB depth situation to be resolved before the start of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a legit starting caliber qb transfer to get a shot at replacing BO after next season. TT could still be in contention once he gains confidence. I would play him for the first half against PSU and see what he can or can't accomplish.

I dont want BO playing much at all against the Viks.

Michigan State starting QB Thorne is in the portal. Might be a good fit. But I would guess he wants to go to a place where he will have the chance to start.

While Ty has not lived up to anywhere near the hype he received coming out of high school. I do believe he is improving.

My take:

His nerves are still a HUGE issue for him. His first two processions were carbon copy what we saw during the season last year. He had one thought in his head.. get rid of the ball ASAP no matter the cost! Both of those series I believe ended up with Mase Funa getting hands on the ball. After that he settled in a bit and made a couple reads and check downs. I did feel towards the end of the first half (when he played with some urgency) he showed some promise, made some good reads, used his feet to buy time, and delivered some nice balls. This carried over a bit into the second half.

Do I feel he has what it takes to win games... Yes. But, not against the better third of the Pac12. I do feel more confident in putting him in for clean up duty to protect Bo from unwanted exposure to injury. That is a plus.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, DUCati855 said:

While Ty has not lived up to anywhere near the hype he received coming out of high school. I do believe he is improving.

My take:

His nerves are still a HUGE issue for him. His first two processions were carbon copy what we saw during the season last year. He had one thought in his head.. get rid of the ball ASAP no matter the cost! Both of those series I believe ended up with Mase Funa getting hands on the ball. After that he settled in a bit and made a couple reads and check downs. I did feel towards the end of the first half (when he played with some urgency) he showed some promise, made some good reads, used his feet to buy time, and delivered some nice balls. This carried over a bit into the second half.

Do I feel he has what it takes to win games... Yes. But, not against the better third of the Pac12. I do feel more confident in putting him in for clean up duty to protect Bo from unwanted exposure to injury. That is a plus.

The problem I see is I am not sure Ty's issue is nerves. He just doesn't go into the game like a point guard in charge of the flow and dynamics of the game. He doesn't seem to see the game like a highly skilled point guard would, should.

He seems to be a skilled guy who when asked to do specific things amazes those watching, in practice, or against lesser talent. The problem is those things have to be in ones back pocket in D-1 football, and you need to be able to pull any of the skills out at any time, and know when the right time is. You also need to know, and be able to do so many other things to be a truly elite qb.

I know I bring this guy up all the time, but it was obvious in high school he (Brock Purdy) had all of those traits, beyond the measurables. You need to be the brilliant field general, not just the guy with the big gun. I would say being the point guard type of qb is more important than the big gun, something I think has been proven over and over, at least in the college game.

So unless Ty is able to channel his second half of the spring game self from here on out I think the staff is going to have to get somebody else to ensure the season doesn't balance on one play where Bo's decision making, or a defenses game plan is questionable. I can't count on Bo to make all the right choices, and I don't think all the coaches and players will be beyond trying to take Bo out. It is painfully obvious how to beat Oregon.

I think it comes down to an elite program needs two guys who can start at qb. Right now we have one and a half. I agree with Charles and others, unless Ty, going forward improves on his second half performance, we need another guy backing up Bo.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

The problem I see is I am not sure Ty's issue is nerves. He just doesn't go into the game like a point guard in charge of the flow and dynamics of the game. He doesn't seem to see the game like a highly skilled point guard would, should.

Love the hoops take Hayward. I'll add my two cents in that direction. TT seems like the best kid on his 6th grade basketball team. He's got the size and skills that the other sixth graders can't deal with. The problem is that today he's playing at the park with his older brother's friends. Now his size and skills are no longer over powering and he just doesn't know how to respond. After getting a few shots blocked he simply shuts down and hopes to blend in no longer feeling dominant.

From what I saw of Butters last year and Novosad this year, they seem like younger brothers just excited to be out on the court with the older guys. By playing their best and embracing the learning experience, they look willing to take their lumps as a part of he learning curve that's required for getting better.

The kid's a Duck and I'm rooting for him to succeed. I'd still like to see them add a player that looks like they belong out on the court right now.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

because I doubt Oregon can win a single game with Ty at QB.  

I'll disagree on this as I think it is a bit harsh.  There seems to be enough other parts that a journeyman QB can win us some games.

Hopefully, we won't have to find out!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix

Ty Thompson

Austin Novosad

Marcus Sanders

That is the line up at QB and my guess is that at this time we will not get anyone from the transfer portal. If they are transferring, they want to start and that is not going to happen. In Coach Lannings eyes, TT is the #2 QB and I saw enough potential Saturday (for the first time) for me to be encouraged by his play. He seemed to be more comfortable the longer he was in the game. Also hoping that Bo does less running this year and stays healthy! GO DUCKS!  124 days to kickoff!

Thanks Charles for opening up a super discussion.

Edited by Santa Rosa Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Column: After familiar start, QB Ty Thompson showed growth at UO spring game

For the first 29 minutes and six seconds of game time on Saturday afternoon, things went about as poorly as they could have for Oregon Ducks redshirt sophomore quarterback Ty Thompson.

What started out as a tough watch had quickly turned into an adequate performance from someone that looked to be settling into the position and getting comfortable in the pocket.

That notion made Saturday a bit of an audition for Ty, and one that he’s gone through a few times at this point. As a true freshman, Thompson showed a few flashes in the spring game but was ultimately not impressive enough to beat out Anthony Brown for the starting gig.

A year ago, Thompson was asked to go up against Nix in a QB competition, which in hindsight doesn’t feel like a fair fight.

There were a few times when Thompson could have put some confidence in the bank during the 2022 regular season, but after every time he left the field, fans were still lacking the confidence necessary to write his name down on the 2024 depth chart in anything but a very light pencil.

Did I leave Autzen Stadium after the spring game feeling that the Ducks have a surefire difference-maker at the QB spot after Nix leaves?

Not exactly...Read more of Zachary Neel's reaction in the article below...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Ty Thompson was among the biggest winners of the day at the UO spring game. After a tough start, he settled in and came to play.

• Go Ducks! 1

Except for the back-up QB position, it appears most of you are happy with the offense.  Here is a projected offensive depth chart after the Spring Game.

Projecting Ducks' offensive depth chart following Oregon Spring Game

Coming into the spring, we had an idea about what the depth chart was going to look like for the Ducks. After watching practices and the scrimmage on Saturday, we may have updated opinions on how things are going to shape out.

Here’s our updated prediction for the Oregon depth chart, starting with the offense:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

After weeks of watching practice and Saturday’s spring game, here’s our projected offensive roster for the Oregon Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

I think it comes down to an elite program needs two guys who can start at qb. Right now we have one and a half. I agree with Charles and others, unless Ty, going forward improves on his second half performance, we need another guy backing up Bo.

I have no problem looking to the portal for another backup QB. I just do not feel as strongly as Charles (and others) towards Ty proficiencies or lack there of.

To say the Ducks can't win a game with him playing seems very extreme given what I saw once he settled into the game. Just my thoughts.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

He seems to be a skilled guy who when asked to do specific things amazes those watching, in practice, or against lesser talent. The problem is those things have to be in ones back pocket in D-1 football, and you need to be able to pull any of the skills out at any time, and know when the right time is. You also need to know, and be able to do so many other things to be a truly elite qb.

I know I bring this guy up all the time, but it was obvious in high school he (Brock Purdy) had all of those traits, beyond the measurables. You need to be the brilliant field general, not just the guy with the big gun. I would say being the point guard type of qb is more important than the big gun, something I think has been proven over and over, at least in the college game.

So unless Ty is able to channel his second half of the spring game self from here on out I think the staff is going to have to get somebody else to ensure the season doesn't balance on one play where Bo's decision making, or a defenses game plan is questionable. I can't count on Bo to make all the right choices, and I don't think all the coaches and players will be beyond trying to take Bo out. It is painfully obvious how to beat Oregon.

Great take. The problem I see is that the young man was way overrated having played against lesser competition in HS in Arizona.

The level at which you play matters. I think his 5* rating was a muff as is often the case when ranking players out of HS.

I love it that he has stuck it out but in this day and age of the portal if he was all that he already would have been poached.

Your backup QB needs to be pushing the starter or you do not have a quality backup.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just want to say how much I appreciate a truly objective look at the spring game. Thank you, Charles.

Lots to be enthused about and lot's to be concerned about.

This season's schedule is a witch and it whips me off that UW and Utah visit SC and that SC has a second idle week the week before the champ game while Oregon has to trip to both Utah and UW. And Oregon has to play Oregon State the week before the champ game while SC takes a nap. 

I guess this is on Merton Hanks? Why not send SC off with a handshake and give UCLA one of the conference's weaker schedules?

This is the kind of stuff that makes the Pac-12/10 disrespected nationwide. Yes, USC has to trip to Oregon but other than that? SC is playing the once-upon-a-time south division schedule and getting UW at home and 'south division' Utah at home.

Why for goodness sake give SC and UCLA a kiss on the way out the door?

OT regarding the spring game but material as to the conference's decade + modus operandi, see foot, shoot same; and why do Hanks and ref-man Campbell still have jobs? 

On 5/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

As Charles has oft-noted, show early or you won't show.

Unfortunately. this young man has yet to show. A 5* recruit should be right on Nix's heels; or, Nix would not have to be in Eugene, to begin with.

With Butterfield gone I agree with the posters above, grab another QB out of the portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what a 5-Star QB does in spring football....and how long as Ty been here?

WWW.LATIMES.COM

The first day of UCLA football spring practice gave everyone an early glimpse of Dante Moore, the heir apparent to Dorian Thompson-Robinson at quarterback.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is what a 5-Star QB does in spring football....and how long as Ty been here?

WWW.LATIMES.COM

The first day of UCLA football spring practice gave everyone an early glimpse of Dante Moore, the heir apparent to Dorian Thompson-Robinson at quarterback.

Losing Dante Moore at the last minute really hurt.  IMO he's the most college-ready QB in the 2023 class...a 4 year high school starter and 2 state championships.  You don't earn that spot based on potential, he has the goods and it shows.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The frosh drops? I'll blame it on 'first game' jitters and hope I am right.

Bucky dropped the ball allot to start last year, do well give them the benefit of the doubt.

This is what a 5-Star QB does in spring football....and how long as Ty been here?

I saw a few highlights from Moore's performance in one of those All-Star games and my heart sank.  He really looked good.  I'm afraid he is the real deal -- he has "it."  I wasn't real disappointed at the time he flipped, but I sure am now.  TT definitely doesn't have it.  I hope something gets jarred into place and he finds "it" -- I really do.  He seems like a great kid, but at this point I have to agree with Charles -- not there and won't get there.  Sigh.  Moore on the other hand, looks poised for greatness.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I remember about Ty’s high school tape was that it was a lot of great comebacks and late game heroics. He looked otherworldly. 

Now I have to wonder why his team was always in a position to have to make a comeback. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, kirklandduck said:

Losing Dante Moore at the last minute really hurt.  IMO he's the most college-ready QB in the 2023 class...a 4 year high school starter and 2 state championships.  You don't earn that spot based on potential, he has the goods and it shows.

Pretty sure Ty won two state championships and has looked good at the camps, and all-star games. Dante is water under the bridge, and will have to prove himself over the long haul. Fortunately for ucla Dante seems to be the back-up.

I am just watching how Stein does with Bo, and his qb development. Bo looked good, needs to look better, Ty also needs to improve. We have a lot of work ahead of ourselves at the qb position if we are to really, recruit and develop qb's, again.

I think the smartest move we are making is building the weapons around our qb's. Back to the point guard analogy, if you have guys who can score and dominate their position, the pressure comes off the point guard.

You can have one of the most dominant NFL ready qb's, but if your receivers can't catch the ball, he doesn't dominate the college game. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

Pretty sure Ty won two state championships and has looked good at the camps, and all-star games. Dante is water under the bridge, and will have to prove himself over the long haul. Fortunately for ucla Dante seems to be the back-up.

I am just watching how Stein does with Bo, and his qb development. Bo looked good, needs to look better, Ty also needs to improve. We have a lot of work ahead of ourselves at the qb position if we are to really, recruit and develop qb's, again.

I think the smartest move we are making is building the weapons around our qb's. Back to the point guard analogy, if you have guys who can score and dominate their position, the pressure comes off the point guard.

You can have one of the most dominant NFL ready qb's, but if your receivers can't catch the ball, he doesn't dominate the college game. 

The spring update on ESPN today predicts that Moore will be the starter for UCLA. No UCLA spring game but apparently Moore has looked great in practice and possesses dual-threat abilities the Chipper loves. 

Dilly may have been a big loss but losing Moore because Dilly moved on was tough.

Yes, water over the dam but losing his commitment is a large hole in the dam.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

What I remember about Ty’s high school tape was that it was a lot of great comebacks and late game heroics. He looked otherworldly. 

Now I have to wonder why his team was always in a position to have to make a comeback. 

He looked great in HS but did not play at the top level in Arizona. Looks like one of the talented HS guys who cannot make the big step up from HS ball.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Ty is a really good example of what  is/was the biggest issue with Mario.   He likes guys with lots of stars and his ability to evaluate if those stars are really warranted is very flawed.  We all know the star system has it's pros and cons but I think Mario used it as his most important metric.  

On 5/2/2023 at 7:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

I'd argue the level of competition is higher in Michigan than in Arizona.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, kirklandduck said:

I'd argue the level of competition is higher in Michigan than in Arizona.

I don't know. But I do know that the state of Arizona produces many the top recruit who for the most part do not stay in Arizona.

Thank you for the honest assessment of TT. Other media outlets ridiculously refused to tell the obvious truth. TT cannot process the field. For most of the game he threw more catchable passes to the defenders than his own receivers.  For our season, Bo Nix is going to have to be super careful. If TT really is our only back up option, and he ends up at QB, the ducks are a 500 team, at best. 

The one possible bone to pick is positives for the O-line. Nothing was proven to me during the spring game. I’d like to believe that the d-line is very good and the o-line is good too but needs a little more time to get organized as a unit. Otherwise, the o-line simply did not look very good at all. 

Edited by AlaskaDuck

On 5/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, AlaskaDuck said:

The one possible bone to pick is positives for the O-line. Nothing was proven to me during the spring game. I’d like to believe that the d-line is very good and the o-line is good too but needs a little more time to get organized as a unit. Otherwise, the o-line simply did not look very good at all.

As discussed in the article and in posts prior to this--Oregon will have SIX very experienced offensive linemen available this fall.  One was held out of the Spring Game due to injury, thus only half of the offensive lines for both teams had experienced offensive linemen. No surprise the very deep defensive line spanked them often.

We will have a very good offensive line this fall, and the running game will be superb...IMHO.

OLine after Holiday Bowl_Ryan Walk Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2023 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

If you are looking for something sweet, then this article about the Oregon Spring game is not for you.

The truth is rarely sweet but you hit the nail on the head.  Oregon has significant talent and depth across the roster with the notable exception of QB where we have talent but unfortunately a significant step down to the  backup.  Thompson showed in the second half what we already knew that he has an elite arm for the post route but his first half proved that he still has no touch and gets tunnel vision.  As I see it, our season largely depends on Bo's health.  If Bo stays healthy the whole season then this is going to be a special year, if not then we see just how good of a QB coach Will Stein really is.

• Thanks 1