cartm25

Apple Emerging as Media Partner for Pac-12 - Primarily Streaming

IMO - The worst case scenario . . .

NYPOST.COM

Apple TV+ is emerging as a potential landing spot for the Pac-12 college football rights, The Post has learned.
  • Oh no! 1

I personally think that Apple is a great idea.  But not an expert, just seems like the present and future to me.  But, I must admit, I don't even have a tv and manage to watch most duck games. Go Ducks one way or the other!  All things in their own time and we will be fine!

Ducks national brand will hurt if it's strictly Apple. Recruiting will be more of a a challenge, big time.

I mean football junkies in the Mid/East/South are not going to pay for a Apple subscription, imo.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

One of my longtime business associates, who hates the PAC, especially the Ducks and Huskies, called me to say that he thought the move to streaming was a good start for the PAC 

I told him to blow it out his ear hole and asked why? Especially that i wanted linear exposure 

He asked me if I had forgotten our basic business school lessons from the 60's and 70's? (Dinosaurs)

He said to me, none of the linear players, who refused Tier 1 rights could or would negotiate until they knew what inventory content was available to bid on 

They didnt know if SDSU, SMU, CSU, UNLV, Tulane, BSU or any other school would be invited to the PAC. Time zones and content is a negotiating factor in the new world of CF.

If the streaming deal gets done then the PAC can expand and take their content to market. Basic business 101.

He, as usual, is right. Thats why he is a billionaire investor and i still work for my living.

Let's see how this plays out. The PAC leadership has to have a Tier 1 Media Deal in place to keep moving forward.

Also lets say Apple charges $10 per month. 4 million subscribers added is $40 million a month. That pencils out 

If you dont want to subscribe, dont.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2

I want to believe that for football they have some plans to get into a network for a few games a week. 

I also saw the incentives could potentially make up the difference in the contract. Please note I said potentially. 

If the current 13 mil subscriber base for pac-12 network had this sub it would be around another 13mil per school or something like that. Which may be ok ... But I don't know. 

I may be in the minority here, but I think this is the way. I don't even have conventional (linear) TV any more as my new TV came loaded with all the apps etc and auto-connected to my wi-fi. I already have PrimeVideo, AppleTV, Netflix etc, so if I have to pay $10/month for all the PAC games, that's perfect for me.

That being said, I'm not quite a dinosaur but I'm no spring chicken either. If people my age (and younger) are operating in a similar fashion, I think this is a good move and a headed in the right direction...

*and for what it's worth, I don't pay for ESPN+ LOL*

Edited by Wrathis
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ten bucks a month?  The cheapest entertainment, and the BEST in my life.  It is what I LOVE...Our Beloved Ducks!

Chase Cota scoring_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

I am a dinosaur lol   All for Apple!!

We, in my opinion, are entering a new paradigm.

Linear tv will be a thing of the past sooner or later.

Let our Ducks always be in the front not the rear of innovation and change.

Can't wait for season to start and we certainly do not need Colorado or AZ.

SMU and SD ST are preferable to me than either of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Apple, 200 mil annually, is the only contract for the PAC, it would be decimating. 

Here is what the Big 12 was in 2012.  13 years, 2.6 billion, 200 mil annually.

Here is what the Big 12 is in 2025.  6 years, 2.28 billion, 380 mil annually.

Here is what the PAC deal looked like in 2012.  12 years 3 billion, 250 mil annually.

It would be the first time in history a P5 conference's TV deal went down annually from the previous contract.

Here are how the TV games were split between ESPN and FOX for the 2012-2024 deal.

The deal is with ESPN and Fox with enough of the conference's own events maintained to allow for the creation of a Pac-12 Network.

• Fox has the rights to 22 Pac-12 football games annually. Eight of those will be on the over-the-air Fox network (four in prime time) and the remaining 14 will be on FX, which is available in 99 million homes. Fox also has the rights to the Pac-12 Championship Game in even years, which will be broadcast in prime time on a Friday night on Fox.
  •  
  • ESPN gets the rights to 22 football games of their own, including eight on Thursday or Friday nights, a weekly 7:30 pm PT game and two ABC prime time games per year. ESPN also gets the rights to the Pac-12 Championship Game in odd years, which will be broadcast on a Friday night.
  •  
  • Fox will have the rights to 22 men's basketball games per year as well as three Pac-12 Tournaments beginning in 2014.
  •  
  • ESPN will broadcast a total on 46 men's basketball games on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays as the Pac-12 ditches their Thursday/Saturday scheduling for a more flexible schedule.
  •  
  • The Pac-12 Tournament will see Fox/FX or ESPN/ESPN2 as well as the Pac-12 Network. Fox/FX and ESPN/ESPN2 will alternate years televising a quarterfinal game, a semifinal game and the championship game with the balance of games televised on the Pac-12 Network.
  •  
  • ESPN has the rights to up to 80 live events per year, which includes the 22 football games, the men's basketball games, women's basketball games and Olympic sports as well for the first time. ESPN also has the rights to the women's basketball tournament.
  •  
  • A Pac-12 Network will be created and will show 350 live events each year. All football and men's basketball games not covered by the deals with Fox or ESPN will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network, as well as an array of non-revenue/Olympic sports.
  • Pac-12 Digital Networks is being created and will be an online channel similar to ESPN3 that will show all games on Pac-12, as well as additional events live online. With Pac-12 Digital Networks comes additional mobile and social media technology for the conference's events as well.

I can't imagine why USC/UCLA would be that much more valuable than OU/Texas.  It can't be all market size, because if it was SMU, Rice, etc any other university in a huge TV market would be getting bigger TV deals.

• Applause 1

On 8/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Ten bucks a month?  The cheapest entertainment, and the BEST in my life.  It is what I LOVE...Our Beloved Ducks!

Chase Cota scoring_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Espn on linear TV actually costs more than 10 dollars a month. I know ESPN was taking a good 10-15 dollars a month out of everyone's linear TV bill. 

People just don't notice because it's not a line item and it's "baked in". 

With that in mind... All this streaming stuff really does mean you pay for everything more peacemeal which has its advantages and disadvantages. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/1/2023 at 2:35 PM, Jemangi said:

I am a dinosaur lol   All for Apple!!

We, in my opinion, are entering a new paradigm.

Linear tv will be a thing of the past sooner or later.

Let our Ducks always be in the front not the rear of innovation and change.

Can't wait for season to start and we certainly do not need Colorado or AZ.

SMU and SD ST are preferable to me than either of them.

Wet would lose two TV viewership markets CO & AZ

I am not totally opposed to streaming.  I remember when ESPN was available in fewer than 2 million homes in the United States.  Times change and are changing.  However, I would like to see the streaming service (whoever that is) offer at least one game a week free without paying a subscription fee.  They could still make money by selling advertising on those games.  I also hope the streaming service will advertise on linear TV to make people aware of the games and how they can be viewed.

• Thumbs Up 2

One would also have to think there is a lot of creative revenue sharing options being thrown around as well - at least over the next couple of years to hold the conference together.  For some schools it may boil down to reduced revenue to keep the conference alive vs join the MWC.  

For others who may be threatening to bolt (Arizona, ASU, Utah), they may be allocated a larger share over a couple years to prove the streaming concept.

There may also be carrots for reaching the PAC12 title game and the playoff.  With the playoff expansion, the incentive is very real and the opportunity more likely in the PAC12 vs other conferences.

If Ducks are on streaming only they will go dark to 80% of football fans. This would hurt tremendously. At every level.

When I watch CF all day the recall button on the remote takes a beating. Usually watching several games at any given time, except when Ducks are playing. That goes away.

I am a fan of the Ducks. All the other games are only because I love to watch football. Charge me $10 and the hassle of not being able to flip around from game to game, I am not watching your team. Don't care who you are or who your playing.

I will watch other conferences over other Pac teams often. Go to streaming and Ducks lose all those viewers that like to watch Oregon but aren't necessarily fans. Gotta stay convenient.

If Ducks sign a contract like that, they deserve what they get. The Pac is done IMO. I would try and get into the B1G for $20m for a couple years over all streaming for 6 years. Ducks will be forgotten by the rest of the nation in 2 years.

Big money wants a couple conferences they can monopolize and control at the power 5 level. Ducks need to take care of themselves at this point. Sorry Pac... RIP!

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, mikethehiker said:

There may also be carrots for reaching the PAC12 title game and the playoff.

One pundit was stating that this is in the formula, that winning is rewarded a higher payout.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

If Ducks are on streaming only

My Duck-Buddy....I will bet you two drinks at the Pre-USC Game OBD Party that it will NOT be streaming only. 

The Pac-12 is trying to be innovative, but they're...

giphy.gif

We will have games on TV, and we'll have a year to

figure out how to make it all work easily switching.

I have a set-up in the FishDuck ManCave, where I press

two buttons and switch from TV to computer.  Easy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Streaming or linear, one thing will remain true, the best teams are never ignored.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

If Ducks are on streaming only they will go dark to 80% of football fans. This would hurt tremendously. At every level.

When I watch CF all day the recall button on the remote takes a beating. Usually watching several games at any given time, except when Ducks are playing. That goes away.

I am a fan of the Ducks. All the other games are only because I love to watch football. Charge me $10 and the hassle of not being able to flip around from game to game, I am not watching your team. Don't care who you are or who your playing.

Absolutely agree. The need to launch an app, find your program, and launch it, makes jumping around much, much more difficult. I think that jumping around actually is a "thing" for college football fans, and it will continue, except WITHOUT a lot of jumping into an app, back to linear TV, back to the app, etc. Mostly it will be in between linear programming games.

And I have to simply wonder, if streaming is the thing, why isn't everyone else jumping in at this time?

A game here and there (like I guess UW and MSU on Peacock)? Sure.  Most to potentially nearly all your games? Doesn't seem to interest the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something?  We are supposed to believe on one hand they need to be applauded for their lucrative media contracts; but, then to need to be criticized for not being heavily streaming? Seems off.

I think leading with a streamer is fantastic. I’m not a dinosaur, but I do sometimes have to ask my kids to set my microwave clock, and I cut the cable cord years ago.

Imagine having all the games in one place?  Never having to figure out which channel, or realizing that it’s on the Pac12 network, that I can’t access or being out of town and not having it shown locally.

You can stream the game ANYWHERE you are on any device you have. Get a Roku box or an Apple TV and plug it into the TV anywhere you are. I do that now when I travel and no longer have to channel surf in a hotel.

Also, have you seen MLS on Apple TV+?  It’s pretty great and will only get better.

This could be fantastic.

• Applause 1

On 8/1/2023 at 3:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My Duck-Buddy....I will bet you two drinks at the Pre-USC Game OBD Party that it will NOT be streaming only. 

The Pac-12 is trying to be innovative, but they're...

giphy.gif

We will have games on TV...

I hope I am wrong. I just don't have a lot of faith in Pac decision makers. They have proven inept for years. The last 12 months shows me all I need to see.

I would prefer the pac stay intact. Super conferences run risk of becoming a popularity  contest for playoff placement. That's recessive. 

Pac has made a mess of themselves. The ones that pay the bills will suffer for it.

Social media reacts to reported Pac-12 streaming deal with Apple TV

After over a year of negotiating and looking for a media rights deal that would see the remaining Pac-12 schools get as much revenue as some of the competing conferences in the nation, commissioner Georgia Kliavkoff finally presented some numbers to his constituents on Tuesday afternoon.

The reception may not have been what he had hoped it would be.

As anticipated, fans of the Pac-12 and college football in general chimed in via social media to comment on the deal, many of whom took a chance to declare a time of death for the conference.

Will the lackluster numbers result in more defections for the conference that is trying — and apparently failing — to stay afloat? Time will tell.

For now, here are some of the best reactions on social media to the new deal numbers that are being floated.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Social media reacts to reported Pac-12 streaming deal with Apple TV

How many Bars in the PNW will have Bass fishing the lakes of Arkansas on at 7:30 Saturday eves because they don't want to pay for apple tv?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:19 PM, cartm25 said:

Excellent question. If it's such an advantage to be first to streaming, why aren't B1G / SEC joining the fun?

I remember posting quite a while back that when the NFL went to streaming on Thursday Night Football, they lost 40% audience share as opposed to when it was on linear tv.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, cartm25 said:

Why a "good start" for the P12 and not the B1G/SEC?

If any other conferences went with streaming first it would be declared as innovative and forward thinking and an absolutely brilliant idea. 

But if the PAC does it it is because they're desperate and not relevant. 

We saw how people reacted to the CW carrying some ACC games. It was hailed as a great move. But when the idea was kicked around by the PAC it was seen as the worst idea ever. 

So it's all about the media bias. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sigh. Well, now I'm a fan of Oregon joining the Big10, just so I can watch the games on ESPN, ABC, and Fox.

• Thumbs Up 3

The realities of the decision also emerged on campus Tuesday, as Arizona coach Jedd Fisch addressed local media about the start of training camp and took multiple questions on realignment. Fisch told local reporters that he videoconferenced with the families of his players to assure them that clarity on the future would emerge soon. He said a guiding force in the process would be "stability wherever we land."

Think of the recruits and their families, the questions & uncertainties they may have. Think Dan is video conferencing with his players families?

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

While we might be dissatisfied with current numbers, this is the future of sports entertainment. Any iPhone, iPad, computer, or smart TV is a viewing platform. I can watch a game anywhere that I have a Wi-Fi signal. 

Apple TV revenues were approximately $1.5 billion in 2022. That represents just 2% of their service revenues annually (+$60 billion total service revenue).

Analysts project Apple TV’s revenues will grow to $2.2 billion in 2023. An increase of 46%. The future looks bright.

The new players in the sports entertainment market have very deep pockets and eventually will own a much larger inventory of that market. We just happen to be one of the first conferences involved. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am a new poster but have followed the discussion for a few years. The PAC has a long history and I am dismayed that we have reached this point. I am very much in the camp that says the PAC needs to hang together as long as they can. I wanted to make two points.

First, leaving the PAC would be disloyal to the other members of PAC especially OSU and WSU that are not as desirable to the other conferences. Leaving OSU particularly would cause many bitter feelings within the state between family and friends. To do so just to join one of the "cool" conferences, in my opinion, would only be taken as a last resort.

Second, breaking apart the PAC would take a tremendous toll on the other sports who would have to travel to the Midwest or farther. I love basketball and here's what I have observed. By the time the teams get into February, the teams are exhausted.  Most of the longer trips are taken at the start of the season when the teams are still fresh, conference games are always later. The PAC has even moved games before Christmas to spread the season out so it isn't as exhausting.

Travel in the winter can be compounded by weather especially in the Midwest. Travel also takes a huge toll on players who are recuperating from injuries. It makes me wonder by Arizona which as has excellent men's and women's teams would want to join a conference that would involve so much travel.

I believe that the PAC would benefit a lot from watching what happens with USC and UCLA with regard to travel, especially with the basketball teams. Football plays fewer games and only once a week. Travel isn't easy but is less of a burden. Even though football is the money sport, the other teams need to also have a voice.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/1/2023 at 4:46 PM, cartm25 said:

IMO - The worst case scenario . . .

NYPOST.COM

Apple TV+ is emerging as a potential landing spot for the Pac-12 college football rights, The Post has learned.

Or, the chance to be a leader in where sports broadcasting is headed and a partner with one of the world's richest, most successful companies with business relationships far greater than the 13M who subscribe to the Pac-12 Network.

I'm not the least surprised with the structure of a base dollar amount and the chance to earn additional money via the # of subscriptions. This will be the format for the coming world of new media.

I believe many of us are correct in regard to the staying power of the Oregon brand. This being the case, IMO providing an equal share to all conference members will not be in line with the Oregon brand's market power. This is where I hope the powers-that-be at Oregon make sure that if, as we expect, Oregon is far more watched than other Pac teams, Oregon will receive a bigger slice of the revenue pie. No more drafting on the Oregon brand. No more agreeing to equal shares for teams that do not make equal investments in the Moneyball sports.

Even with a $20M base why would CU and other teams leave for $11.7M over this base when boosters can easily make the difference up and a team's success in CFB and men's CBB will have Pac teams on an equal footing with B12 and ACC teams without the rigors of travel on the athletes. 

I am not a glass-half-full kind of guy and the conference approach to the new media deal negotiations has left much to be desired but this deal does give Oregon a chance to catch a wave into the new media broadcast world. Take a bite out of Apple now and less than a decade from now the conference's media deal could be envied by teams stuck in a world of linear-only content. 

Based on the old world, the deal is problematic. Based on the New World which ESPN will be joining sooner rather than a later an opportunity awaits.

• Applause 2

On 8/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

I am a new poster but have followed the discussion for a few years.

Welcome to the forum, and do share your thoughts often!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Couple ot items:

1. Cable lost almost 6 million subscribers in 2022. The number is expected to be higher in 2023. The cost of cable, to suffer thru endless, mindless commercials is too high.

Not to mention paying for 1000 plus channels that you dont want.

2. My wife told me she was cutting the chord on our $371.00 cable bill. We analyzed that we watched about 15 or less channels on cable. We watched Amazon, Netflicks and HULU and paid separate for their services. Thankfully, Charles suggested she wait until February to cut the chord. That way i could have CF thru the Natty. She agreed when i offered to pay all the monthly bill 

Come the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, cable is gone. Fox, FS1 and ESPN will be gone and not receive our dollars.

We add Apple to our other sibscriptions, along with our wifi/internet and be under $135 a month.

Yes there are downfalls to the PAC being streamed. However you will be paying a streaming fee for ESPN within 5 years. Thats where ACC, SEC and G5-B12 will be also.

How many of yoi have sent an email to ESPN and FOX to express your disappointment in their shut out of the PAC?

How many of you have emailed them to let them know you will boycott their 2024 advertisers?

You vote with your dollars! You can subscribe to Apple and boycott the cables advertisers.

Or you can support them. For me, and not anyone else, my wife decided.

Gosh I am a lucky, happy Duck

• Salute 1
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

When the Ducks went to the college football playoff, it wasn't because they had recruited all of the very best players.  It was because they were creative and put in a lot of hard work.  That is what the athletic department and university must do to succeed. They can not sit around and feel sorry for themselves.  The situation they end up in in the near future may not be the most ideal, but creativity and hard work can go a long way towards closing the gap. 

They must get creative to find new ways to create revenue and continue to work hard to promote the brand. The Pac (insert number here) must do the same thing.  During the Lavish Lifestyle Larry days of the Pac 12, I don't think we saw much creativity or hard work. For the rest of us, we just need to keep supporting the Ducks and try not to raise our blood pressure over things we can't control.

I've said it here a dozen times. Going with Apple TV is a worst case scenario. Normal people across the country don't have Apple TV because it has very little to offer, and those people are surely not paying for the PAC 12 package.

We'll be extremely lucky to get even half of Oregon fans to sign up for Apple TV. And Apple is adding viewership metrics to payouts??? No way Jose. Zero point zero chance of even approaching those metrics. 

If the PAC is to be the guinea pig for streaming, then they need to be propped up like most beta tests or venture capital business runs: give us tons of cash with no expectations on viewership numbers for our agreement to be the guinea pig.

Personally, I will not be paying for Apple TV. I'll do whatever it takes to get a sign on from someone else out of spite. I already have all the other streaming services. I refuse to pay for Apple. If I won't sign up for it, what does that tell you about other people that are nowhere near as big of a fan of the Ducks as I am?

Edited by 2002duck
  • Applause 2

A streaming road Apple?

Bottom line for me is that I will roll with the ;punches and watch the Ducks in the format that they appear in. 

One silver lining for me (if we go heavily into streaming) is that I won't have to suffer with ABC carrying Montana State when it conflicts with the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/1/2023 at 7:41 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Come the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, cable is gone. Fox, FS1 and ESPN will be gone and not receive our dollars.

YouTube tv has all those channels and it's like 60 dollars a month. Granted the big missing component is no pac-12 network (I have a strange workaround if you're interested). 

So this season I'm picking up YouTube tv (also has and built in dvr) for the season and turning it off once the season is over. 

I have no subscriptions, at this time, at all. I consider them all mega overpriced.  I will be delighted to sign up for Apple TV if they show the ducks!

This is not the past, this is the future.

Most young people and many of other ages have I phones and I pads and mac computers already. 

Cable tv is a thing of the past imo.

Like I said, I'm dinosaur  what do I know..

We shall see.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't hate the Apple TV idea, though I wish it were Amazon Prime since I already have that subscription. Then again, I use SlingTV which has the Pac12 Network as a $15 dollar add-on. If I discard that and sign up for a $10 Apple TV subscription I come out $5 ahead.

That being said, I agree with Charles where I don't think Apple TV is the sole part of this proposal. There are probably other parts at work here that aren't public yet.

I could see Apple TV being the primary holder of content then the Pac12 doing a distribution deal with the CW or ION like the ACC did to get more eyeballs on the conference.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, 2002duck said:

I've said it here a dozen times. Going with Apple TV is a worst case scenario. Normal people across the country don't have Apple TV because it has very little to offer, and those people are surely not paying for the PAC 12 package.

We'll be extremely lucky to get even half of Oregon fans to sign up for Apple TV. And Apple is adding viewership metrics to payouts??? No way Jose. Zero point zero chance of even approaching those metrics. 

If the PAC is to be the guinea pig for streaming, then they need to be propped up like most beta tests or venture capital business runs: give us tons of cash with no expectations on viewership numbers for our agreement to be the guinea pig.

Personally, I will not be paying for Apple TV. I'll do whatever it takes to get a sign on from someone else out of spite. I already have all the other streaming services. I refuse to pay for Apple. If I won't sign up for it, what does that tell you about other people that are nowhere near as big of a fan of the Ducks as I am?

Personally I pay for AppleTv and am willing to pay a subscription fee for all the PAC content. What I wasn’t willing to do was go to Dish just for the Network. I refuse to pay for or support Disney or ESPN. If I wouldn’t pay for them, what does that tell you about other people that are nowhere as big of a fan of the Ducks as I am?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sources: Pac-12 leaders presented with Apple streaming deal

According to sources, the first year of what's expected to be a relatively short-term contract with Apple would start in 2024-25 and begin relatively low relative to the league's hopes. But the deal, sources said, would incrementally improve and potentially be competitive with its peers in the Big 12 and ACC down the road, provided certain subscription numbers are met.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Although several options were presented to Pac-12 presidents and chancellors, the primarily subscription-based Apple streaming deal emerged as the likely leader when commissioner George...

• Applause 1

Pac-12 conference officials were ‘naïve’ about conference realignment

WWW.ON3.COM

On3's Andy Staples discusses the Pac-12's need to get active after losing Colorado with west coast columnist John Canzano

Sensible conversation

With no details it is hard to have a valid opinion. Duck streaming available on only Apple would be bad. The Apple whose products I have avoided for decades.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, MTdux said:

One silver lining for me (if we go heavily into streaming) is that I won't have to suffer with ABC carrying Montana State when it conflicts with the Ducks.

Finally the best of both worlds for us Montana peeps, unless of course you are in University of Montana fan and then not much will help. Go Bobcats!

On 8/2/2023 at 6:40 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

With no details it is hard to have a valid opinion. Duck streaming available on only Apple would be bad. The Apple whose products I have avoided for decades.

I think an opinion is easy to form. In The wake of Pac12 network fiasco, Willie Tagart, Mariø and rhe poor leadership of the Pac  over the past several years...

Oregon needs to take care of Oregon. Keep leading with the chin your gunna get put down. It's time Oregon gets aggressive and looks out for themselves. 

Nobody in the Pac likes Oregon, so why care about them? What Ducks do is the Ducks business. It's time to push the envelope and close the deal with the B1G.

I know, B1G is seemingly in the driver seat. More than one way to skin a cat. Sell it Ducks, not that difficult. Ducks are an elite product. 

If Oregon stays in the Pac they are fools imo. B1G or drift into obscurity.

Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, 2002duck said:

Understand your POV. Early telephones required shared lines and a switchboard. As the delivery system improved millions more people purchased and installed telephones.

Streaming will be made more easy to access and to switch in and out of. ESPN, the leader in college sports broadcasting, and its overseer Disney know that they have to move to streaming as soon as the kinks are worked out. Today's delivery systems are outmoded and bloated with excess administrative costs. 

I will be shocked if the number of folks who sign on to Apple to watch football, basketball, and non-revenue sports does not exceed the 13M subscribers to the Pac-12 Network. I will also be shocked if Fox does not move post-haste to add a streaming service like NBC's Peacock. I wager that in 5 years, before the end of the new B1G media deal that not less than half of the B1G's football games will be streamed. 

Again, I more than respect your POV but no one can shovel sand against the tide and expect the tide to stay out.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2