Mudslide

It's Final: Cal & Stanford to the ACC

WWW.ESPN.COM

The ACC presidents and chancellors met Friday morning and voted to add three schools -- Stanford, Cal and SMU -- beginning in the 2024-25 school year. It will bring the league to 18 members -- 17...

And Then There Were 2:  Stanford and California to Leave Pac-12 for ACC

It was reported by multiple outlets on Friday morning that the ACC officially voted to extend invitations to the Stanford Cardinal, California Golden Bears, and SMU Mustangs for the start of the 2024 season. This means that over the past month, eight of the 10 remaining Pac-12 teams have decided to jump ship and search for greener grass.

What comes next for the Beavers and Cougars is unclear, but a move to the Mountain West seems to be the best option, unfortunately.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Stanford and Cal are joining the Atlantic Coast Conference. Oregon State and Washington State are homeless. College football makes zero sense.

This is really going to piss off FSU and Clemson by adding in West Coast travel and no extra $$$ to cover it.

Friedlander: ACC adding Cal, Stanford makes no sense. But what does in college athletics these days?

It makes no sense. Absolutely none at all.

Then again, what does these days when it comes to college athletics and the misalignment of its conferences?

Pac-12 stragglers Stanford and California have about as much place in the ACC as pineapples or broccoli have on pizza.

But here we are.

Early Friday morning, the league’s presidents and chancellors voted to extend invitations to the Cardinal and Bears, along with fellow outlier SMU, effectively transforming the Atlantic Coast Conference into a Bi-Coastal Conference. The schools accepted the invitation soon after.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Adding Stanford, Cal and SMU, is a short-term money grab that will do little to narrow the ACC's revenue gap with the SEC and Big Ten.

• Applause 1

Cal and Stanford won't get an equal share until year 10.  They won't move from 30% to 75% until year 7.  Yikes.  Stanford can afford it, but Cal not so much, even with UCLA handing over 10 mil per year.

A sad day for OSU and WSU, and for Olympic sports at Stanford and Cal.  I would like to continue playing them as non-conference foes, but boy it is all so strange.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Mountain West Conference:

Air Force 
Boise State 
Colorado State 
Fresno State 
Hawaii 
Nevada 
New Mexico 
San Diego State 
San Jose State 
UNLV 
Utah State 
Wyoming

What's not to like?

giphy.gif

My Beaver and Cougar brothers--I do feel your pain.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Maybe just maybe with the Ivy League west finally gone, The Pac 2 can still invite in the best of the Mountain West and rebuild a respectable conference. OSU, WSU, SD St, Fresno St, Boise St, UNLV, CSU, Hawaii wouldn't be a bad start. Maybe Apple still wants a foot in the door of college football and dishes out $10M a school and maybe even pushing closer to $15M with subscription incentives. That would be better than simply joining the MWC for all schools involved. I'm still rooting for the Pac to survive this.

• Thumbs Up 1

OSU under Johnathan Smith should do very well in the Mountain West. I don't feel too bad for them, or their fans because now they will know what it's like to have multiple winning seasons.

Still, gotta give a jab for my Beaver friends. 😁

stsmall845x845-pad1000x1000f8f8f8_u2.jpg.b7142819c1d1c84909c3f3db145e0271.jpg

Go Ducks!!! 

• Cool 1

Sigh of relief coming out of Westwood? Cal made its own decision to join the ACC, so will the Regents parse the deal Cal agreed to and punish UCLA? I don't see it.

Cal is in a P4 conference and not a G5 conference which would have warranted UCLA being tagged with a bigger Calimony payment.

Stanford non-revenue sports will still be recruiting in a P4 world. Stanford going independent would have caused huge scheduling problems. Seeing as how the Beavers want nothing to do with Puddles and the Stanford/Notre Dame game will kind of be a conference game, let's, as Charles suggests, make the Tree a permanent OOC nesting spot for Puddles. Football, basketball, and all other sports.

It will be interesting to see if the Stanford/Notre Dame game will continue to be played every season.

J Smith will be gone in a year or two. Beavs won't be able to afford him. After the success he has this year, Smith will be poached. He will be of more value than the Beavs can sustain long term. Just sucks for Beavus 

Sucks for the Beavs... At least they'll have one of the nicer stadiums in the MtnWest.

• Haha 1

So sad……!

A Bowdoin College reference, who knew? I did not know that Bowdoin had a larger endowment than Cal. I need to up my betting game in order to help the Polar Bear cause.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Stanford and Cal -- along with SMU -- have left the Pac-12 for the stability of the ACC. For the Cardinal, it somewhat makes sense. For Cal? Not so much.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, Krsmqn said:

OSU under Johnathan Smith should do very well in the Mountain West. I don't feel too bad for them, or their fans because now they will know what it's like to have multiple winning seasons.

Still, gotta give a jab for my Beaver friends. 😁

stsmall845x845-pad1000x1000f8f8f8_u2.jpg.b7142819c1d1c84909c3f3db145e0271.jpg

Go Ducks!!! 

I think they should dominate for the first 2-3 years...then the significantly reduced revenue will hit hard because they won't be able to recruit like they used to.  

On 9/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, kirklandduck said:

I think they should dominate for the first 2-3 years...then the significantly reduced revenue will hit hard because they won't be able to recruit like they used to.  

I think the Beavers best watch out playing at San Jose State on Sunday against the MW preseason all-conference QB who had his moments against SC. (I am happy that the Beavs will be featured on CBS.)

I think SJS QB Chevan Cordeiro could outshine DJU. 

OSU is currently ranked 61st in 2024 recruiting. I'm not sure there is much of a recruiting budget to cut. OSU's recruiting fits far better in the MW (the AAC has dropped out) than in the P5/4.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A sad day for OSU and WSU, and for Olympic sports at Stanford and Cal.  I would like to continue playing them as non-conference foes, but boy it is all so strange.

Me too.

My completely ridiculous prediction: OSU to the Big 12.  WSU to the Mountain West.  Pac-12 to the dust bin of history.

The B1G and Big 12 additions made some sense. Kevin Warren kind of made it necessary to add travel companions for USC and UCLA. He had no love for college football, promptly going back to the NFL after boggling the whole Covid decision, and "Alliance".  But whatever, that league has the money to do what they want. Their football league got better, and they got great television markets. 

The Big 12 was in a fight for survival, they extended their footprint. Added schools they wanted, and got revenge on the PAC for telling them they weren't good enough to merge with two years ago.

The ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE added two schools on the PACIFIC COAST. Also SMU, a school in Dallas. They didn't make their football conference any better, added no extra revenue, and now have two schools thousands of miles away. They don't have the money or stability the B1G does. They have two members who already want to leave, and have now gone against what North Carolina wanted. Notre Dame got what they wanted though.  Still not a member, nor will they join the league. So you just made your three most powerful members even angrier. For what? Unequal distribution, but not more for anyone. Just none for SMU and a very small amount for CAL and Stanford.

The ACC isn't long for this world, the SEC is gonna strike in a few years. There aren't any members they want outside the ACC. Same goes for the B2G. My guess is the Big 12 picks the best of the rest after those two get who they want. So Stanford and CAL will once again be the rest, and we all know how they feel about the Big 12. Maybe by then Notre Dame will have to join the B2G, and they'll get invited as a group.

Maybe the PAC-2 should merge with the Mountain West and call it the PAC-13.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, DUCati855 said:

Sucks for the Beavs... At least they'll have one of the nicer stadiums in the MtnWest.

Maybe they should paint their turf orange.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Maybe they should paint their turf orange.

Brilliant!

• Thumbs Up 1

AAC just said no thanks to OSU and WSU.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Mountain West looks to be the likeliest option for both schools after Cal and Stanford left for the ACC on Friday.

So Cal and Stanford get 30% revenue share.  What's that amounting to?   $10M/year?   Seems like they can do better by staying in pac-4 and add to it, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Seems like they can do better by staying in pac-4 and add to it, no?

They get to remain in a Power conference in ACC, also with better longer term $ prospects.  PAC-X won’t be a P5.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Applause 1

On 9/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, AllOregon said:

They get to stay in a Power conference, also with better longer term $ prospects.  PAC-X won’t be a P5.

Sure, but $10M/yr for 7 years will probably kill Cal Football, esp. if they continue to underperform...  Furd got deep pockets, but not sure the culture there will tolerate long-term losses either...  Interesting to see what happens.

Glad OBD at least gets a revenue boost.   

Edited by DuckFan93

On 9/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, AllOregon said:

AAC just said no thanks to OSU and WSU.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Mountain West looks to be the likeliest option for both schools after Cal and Stanford left for the ACC on Friday.

That's what ACC said until today about Furd/Cal too.  One never knows.  AAC schools get $7/yr, while Mountain West gets 4.   Either one is a huge haircut for our poor neighbors.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think the Beavers best watch out playing at San Jose State on Sunday against the MW preseason all-conference QB who had his moments against SC. (I am happy that the Beavs will be featured on CBS.)

I think SJS QB Chevan Cordeiro could outshine DJU. 

OSU is currently ranked 61st in 2024 recruiting. I'm not sure there is much of a recruiting budget to cut. OSU's recruiting fits far better in the MW (the AAC has dropped out) than in the P5/4.

Well when you think about it, OSU generally recruits classes ranked somewhere in the 50's year to year (at least during Jonathan Smith's tenure) and consists of primarily a bunch of 3* kids with a blue chip or two (they had 2 solid ones committed for 2023).  That's with having a Pac12 revenue share of $30-$35 million a year (with a record $37 million last season).  MWC gets $4 million a year on its current deal that runs through 2026 and I doubt the next deal will clear double digits even after OSU and WSU join.  Whatever recruiting budge the Beavers have now will be decimated after 2024 so I expect it to plummet, no more occasional blue chips anymore through high school....maybe the occasional one through the transfer portal.

• Applause 1

Maybe, maybe not the same as ACC talks. We know ACC vote was 11-4 YES and today shifted to 12-3 YES (NC St flipped).   Door was very much still open.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Sure, but $10M/yr for 7 years will probably kill Cal Football, esp. if they continue to underperform...  Furd got deep pockets, but not sure the culture there will tolerate long-term losses either...  Interesting to see what happens.

Completely  agree.   I just meant I can see why they jumped to stay in a power conference when it is clear Pac is no longer one.  Even though the $ sucks.

Honestly, I'm just sad for what the college football landscape has become. I honestly hope now that ESPN, Fox and all the other players that caused this whole realignment chaos go belly up and the whole thing implodes. This is just crazy.

Then maybe everyone can come back home and the PAC rises again like the Phoenix coming out of the ashes.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

ACC considering neutral sites for non-revenue sports (sorry, can't get the link to load).

Of course, that would include Cal and Stanford football!!!

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:04 AM, Steven A said:

This is really going to piss off FSU and Clemson by adding in West Coast travel and no extra $$$ to cover it.

Once every 3-4 years probably... So they'll probably only have to do 3-4 times before the ACC falls apart.

• Applause 1

Unfortunately pure capitalism in college sports is not going to work. 

Not long before we will have to subscribe to Apple, Amazon, Peacock, Paramount plus, Sling, Youtube etc just to watch most games. There will be a point where most fans who are not multi 7 figures rich, decide that this is not worth a really nice dinner out once a week at an upscale restaurant. 

Going back to the 50's when you watched your favorite team and that is about it. Sports betting might suffer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:33 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Honestly, I'm just sad for what the college football landscape has become. I honestly hope now that ESPN, Fox and all the other players that caused this whole realignment chaos go belly up and the whole thing implodes. This is just crazy.

Then maybe everyone can come back home and the PAC rises again like the Phoenix coming out of the ashes.

Does a Power 2 Premier League need middlemen? Why not take the product directly to market? Sell advertising and streaming. Investment banker(s) to fund the but out of the SEC network and the acquisition of Fox's 61% stake in the BTN.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Does a Power 2 Premier League need middlemen? Why not take the product directly to market? Sell advertising and streaming. Investment banker(s) to fund the but out of the SEC network and the acquisition of Fox's 61% stake in the BTN.

Waiting for them to cut out the absolutely worthless NCAA. Honestly what do they do besides rubber stamp rules changes that the media companies want and take their cut? 

Their biggest pro-player on field rules change is even a sham. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The NCAA recently announced changes to the targeting rule. These changes are not yet in effect, but...

• Applause 1

Great! We get to watch Mario soil his bead sheets against Stanford while coaching a different team.

• Applause 1

ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low in college sports

The most honest thing that will be said about the ACC’s nonsensical expansion gambit that was formalized Friday comes from deep in the heart of Texas: Pony Up.

That’s the mantra from proud new ACC member SMU, but it’s also the ethos that describes exactly what kind of Ponzi scheme the league just ran on college athletics. 

In a transparent, desperate, pathetic attempt to take the crumbs of conference realignment and act like they were prepared by a Michelin-starred chef, ACC commissioner Jim Phillips announced Friday that the additions of Stanford, California and SMU would “strengthen the league in all possible ways.” 

The ACC expanded because there was a pool of television money ESPN was contractually required to give it because of conference expansion, and most of that money will be hoarded by the existing members while the newbies subsidize their athletic departments in other ways.

In SMU’s case, the desperation to get into a power conference was so strong, it reportedly agreed to forego a media-rights distribution for its first nine years as a member of the ACC.

In other words, SMU is going to literally pay to play in its new league despite being competitively irrelevant in its old one. There will be three presidential elections by the time SMU gets a dollar from television.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Even in a college sports industry that struggles to find the bottom, ACC expansion is a new low. A thriving conference does not run...

Cal, Stanford, and SMU are now members of a Power 4 conference. SMU has a good shot at leaving the AAC with a championship. Rhett Lashlee can coach and poach. Lashlee brought in a lot of 2023 portal talent. 

The ACC was the last life raft available for the Bay Area schools. Smart move helping to create the 2nd coast-to-coast conference. And being covered by the ESPN-owned ACC is a step up from Larry's Late Nite Loser Network. 

I don't know about Cal but I do know that Stanford athletes, revenue and non-revenue, supported this move. 

And the ACC even with the geography concerns is a better fit for Cal and Stanford than the B12.

• Thumbs Up 1