Pennsylvania Duck

Coach Dan Lanning's Old Colorado Comment Going Viral Today

Oregon will host Colorado next weekend in a tantalizing Pac-12 matchup. Dan Lanning's past remarks on the Buffaloes program recirculated in anticipation of the marquee bout.

During the summer, Colorado announced a move to the Big 12 in 2024. Oregon's head coach threw shade at the program when asked about the switch.

"Not a big reaction," Lanning told reporters on July 31, per Breanna Greene of KOIN News. "I'm trying to remember what they won to affect this conference, and I don't remember. Do you remember them winning anything? I don't remember them winning anything."

If they both stay undefeated this weekend, Oregon and Colorado may turn into one of the most hyped games on a packed Week 4 schedule.

Lanning's soundbite will only fuel the flame, especially since Sanders doesn't seem like the type of coach to ignore trash talk.

Interesting to note the tweet was reposted by someone at Fox today...

To access the article, click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good... hype this thing up till it boils over. Hope its on billboards in Colorado. Hope it's  played over and over and over.

Get every eye in the country on this one. And when the Ducks thrash Buffs, all the sweeter. 

Oregon will just be the beginning of the end for this ridiculous love fest for the Buffs. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

That was more of a slam on their entire athletic program. They can’t win in the Pac, so they headed back to their old conference. If they take it personally then that’s their problem. Just play football and don’t lose composure when they start yapping. Oregon isn’t TCU, Nebraska or CSU. The Ducks will have just as much to prove as Colorado does.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

To be fair, Coach Lanning wasn't way off base. 

2011 -  3-10

2012 - 1-11

2013 - 4-8

2014 - 2-10

2015 - 4-9

2016 - 10-4

2017 - 5-7

2018 - 5-7

2019 - 5-7

2020* - 4-2

2021 - 4-8

2022 - 1-11

*2020 was obviously a shortened season, so who knows what the outcome would have been had they faced a full schedule. 

With the exception of 2020, Colorado had just 1 winning season in the PAC12 - 2016, which ironically was Oregon's worst PAC12 season. Coincidence? 

Obviously with Dion as HC, Colorado has already shown that they can be competitive this year. But to be fair, Coach Lanning wasn't speaking about this year. He was referring to the past 12 years, which Colorado, even in their 10-4 season, failed to beat Okie State in the Alamo Bowl. Thus, no championships. 

Championships - this is what I believe Coach Lanning was referring to, imo. 

Either way, social media is chirping, so best that Oregon just takes care of business when Prime and crew come to town. 

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Well, Colorado State coach Jay Norvell took DL off the hook this week with an ad hominem directed straight in Prime's direction. Stupid is as stupid does.

Although DL's comment was, as Dr. Jacks noted, possibly directed at CU Athletics in general (FWIW, I don't think it was) Deion will take advantage of DL's shot at CU.

Unlike Norvell, how was DL to know that Prime was going to deliver on his promises? 

IMO, Norvell erred by commision. DL erred by quasi-commission. But DL's words are still going up on Prime's CU bulletin board. 

IMO, it will not have a thing to do with the Ducks game. I think Norvell's comment is forage for CU to light it up and pile it on against CO. State.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 9/14/2023 at 8:17 PM, Krsmqn said:

To be fair, Coach Lanning wasn't way off base. 

2011 -  3-10

2012 - 1-11

2013 - 4-8

2014 - 2-10

2015 - 4-9

2016 - 10-4

2017 - 5-7

2018 - 5-7

2019 - 5-7

2020* - 4-2

2021 - 4-8

2022 - 1-11

*2020 was obviously a shortened season, so who knows what the outcome would have been had they faced a full schedule. 

With the exception of 2020, Colorado had just 1 winning season in the PAC12 - 2016, which ironically was Oregon's worst PAC12 season. Coincidence? 

Obviously with Dion as HC, Colorado has already shown that they can be competitive this year. But to be fair, Coach Lanning wasn't speaking about this year. He was referring to the past 12 years, which Colorado, even in their 10-4 season, failed to beat Okie State in the Alamo Bowl. Thus, no championships. 

Championships - this is what I believe Coach Lanning was referring to, imo. 

Either way, social media is chirping, so best that Oregon just takes care of business when Prime and crew come to town. 

Go Ducks!

Nothing's fair in love and football and Deion will certainly not go out of his way to be fair.

... except a fair catch. 😄

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2023 at 8:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO, Norvell erred by commision. DL erred by quasi-commission. But DL's words are still going up on Prime's CU bulletin board. 

If a team needs quotes and pictures on a bulletin board to get them motivated to win a game then they’re not that good to begin with. Great players stay focused and play in the moment and I’m sure Deion knows that. His guys will be ready nonetheless.

However, Deion also knows that controversy get the fans and media all lathered up and focuses attention on him and his team. Attention is great for money and recruiting. He’s been a master of marketing and promotion for almost 40 years. He’s like a Don King and Jake Paul all rolled into one. It’s quite genius, actually. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I wish DL chose better words when asked about Colorado. DS is a trash talker himself, but throughout his playing and coaching career, was able to back up his talk.

Fortunately, the Oregon/Colorado game is at Autzen, so I guess that helps somewhat. Like another poster stated, Oregon just needs to focus and execute, as we all know DS will use what DL said as a rallying cry to his team.

OBD definitely have the talent to win this game, but it's not going to be a cakewalk as in the past. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sanders uses Kayfabe tactics. He kicked off his tenure at CU with a me against the world narrative.

He is very good at it. He knows darn well what Lanning said and the meaning behind Lannings words.

But Sanders needs an enemy. Some of the things he has said are misguided to creat the illusion.

Yea... its all kayfabe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will admit that Jay Norvell might be onto something with his comments. He basically told his guys “I just wrote a check that you guys are going to have to cash”. He’s forcing his guys to fight or back down. If anything, the game will be salty. There is a high chance of cheap shots, ejections, etc. I will be watching this one for sure.

Norvell is obviously angry about having to pull his players out of game prep to have them interview with ESPN for the Gameday sequences. He’s also angry because it’s all happening because he got sucked into the “Deion Show”. Read his quote in this article and you will see that he’s pretty salty about Deion getting a HC position strictly because of his fame while he had to wait forever for his shot. This is his one and only chance to hype himself and his program. I have to say that it’s a good start. His comments about Deion won the internet today.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Colorado State coach Jay Norvell took a jab at Deion Sanders, saying, "When I talk to grown-ups, I take my hat and my glasses off."

On 9/14/2023 at 9:14 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I will admit that Jay Norvell might be onto something with his comments. He basically told his guys “I just wrote a check that you guys are going to have to cash”. He’s forcing his guys to fight or back down. If anything, the game will be salty. There is a high chance of cheap shots, ejections, etc. I will be watching this one for sure.

Norvell is obviously angry about having to pull his players out of game prep to have them interview with ESPN for the Gameday sequences. He’s also angry because it’s all happening because he got sucked into the “Deion Show”. Read his quote in this article and you will see that he’s pretty salty about Deion getting a HC position strictly because of his fame while he had to wait forever for his shot. This is his one and only chance to hype himself and his program. I have to say that it’s a good start. His comments about Deion won the internet today.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Colorado State coach Jay Norvell took a jab at Deion Sanders, saying, "When I talk to grown-ups, I take my hat and my glasses off."

However, it's not how you start ...

Everything is "personal" to coach Sanders. And his media following.

It is his main way of inspiring his team.

Whatever hype it takes, fine.

So far, it seems to work.

But I believe his team doesn't have the depth to compete against the best of the Pac-12. 

Oregon, is at the top  

We need to play smart, play well, disciplined, and beat CU into the ground!!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is certainly a fun thread... but if the team was thinking like us, they are looking past Hawaii.... Not good.

Beat Hawaii... then focus on CU.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Don't be scared of trash talk leading up to the game. But, let the plays talk for themselves during the game. After the game?? SCOREBOARD!!

38-27 Oregon. 

Our D is picking it up. This will be the 'D'ifference!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colorado made the move that finished the PAC off.  DL's comments were ill advised (likely out of frustration as well) but largely accurate.  They were here for a dozen years, contributed very little to raising the PAC's national prowess, and then bounced to grift off another conference.  Colorado, USC, and UCLA were all so terrible for so long while Oregon, Stanford, and Utah carried the torch for the PAC.  If I'm Oregon and a fan of Oregon, I'm still more motivated against Colorado.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:43 PM, DanLduck said:

Everything is "personal" to coach Sanders

Here is Sanders' response to Norvell...

Deion Sanders on Jay Norvell's criticism: 'They done messed around and made it personal'

• Haha 1

I think Lanning put a target on his team's back for a reason. I think he wants to see who elevates their game to the moment and who doesn't. I believe who ever starts the second half of this game will be the ones he sees as the ones who are ready to lead.

His words helped send this from a big conference game to a big national game. I'm sure he new what he was doing. It will now be put up or shut up time for both teams. Can't wait.

Everything is personal with Deion and he is using it to fuel his team.  That's okay from my perspective but as I said in another thread, the fatigue with him is setting in.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think Lanning put a target on his team's back for a reason. I think he wants to see who elevates their game to the moment and who doesn't. I believe who ever starts the second half of this game will be the ones he sees as the ones who are ready to lead.

His words helped send this from a big conference game to a big national game. I'm sure he new what he was doing. It will now be put up or shut up time for both teams. Can't wait.

Good point!

On 9/15/2023 at 1:40 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Right on, Kamikaze Kid. It was just so unlike Lanning to say something like that, out of character. He doesn't want to give anything away! Maybe he did have an ulterior motive!

Naw....Coach Lanning just made a mistake is all.  Like the rest of us--he could not possibly have known what would happen in football season a few months later.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Well, Colorado State coach Jay Norvell took DL off the hook this week with an ad hominem directed straight in Prime's direction. Stupid is as stupid does.

Although DL's comment was, as Dr. Jacks noted, possibly directed at CU Athletics in general (FWIW, I don't think it was) Deion will take advantage of DL's shot at CU.

Unlike Norvell, how was DL to know that Prime was going to deliver on his promises? 

IMO, it will not have a thing to do with the Ducks game. I think Norvell's comment is forage for CU to light it up and pile it on against CO. State.

The whole bulletin board thing, in my opinion, is a non-issue.

If you need some slight to get ready to play, you're probably not going to win anyway.

You win on the field, nowhere else.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Deon Sanders has used his fast talking mouth to try and motivate his team. I get it, thats Deon. It's what he has always done.But Deon isn't going to play a single snap.

What Sanders doesn't realize is that he has put a huge target on his team. Every team that goes up against CU is going ro have a little more motivation to pound them into the dirt.

Sanders will keep jawing. He can't help himself. Many will continue to buy into the hype. The major networks will make sure of it. It's a huge money maker for them.

True colors will soon be revealed. I hope his players are mature enough to handle the adversity that is sure to come. Sanders has encouraged his team to fight at least once. We all saw the video.

Careful of what you celebrate today. Tomorrow could show a much different truth. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't look like it's going to end well for college football.

This "us-against-them" mentality will work for a while with the team, but not after this season.  Maybe even not the entire 2023 season?

Deion Sanders' Colorado Contract Contains Unusual Disclosure Language –  Sportico.com

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/15/2023 at 1:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This "us-against-them" mentality will work for a while with the team, but not after this season.  Maybe even not the entire 2023 season?

Deion Sanders' Colorado Contract Contains Unusual Disclosure Language –  Sportico.com

It only truly works if you keep winning. 'nobody believes in us' works while you win. But, when you lose? Thats reality. And reality usually hits...'home'.

Bulletin board material, sure. Making a big difference in how the game plays out, no. 

This statement was about the CO past. A lot of those players aren't around anymore. Lots of new guys, who are looking pretty good so far.

Sanders and these players realize that what Lanning said was true. I count (not very hard) one winning season since 2011. 

This is a feast for the fans though! If Colorado were to pull off the upset? Oh my! Lanning, but even more so Duck fans, would never hear the end of it. Well at least not until next year when the two teams probably don't play each other for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

The really amazing (yet pitiful) irony of all of this is that Deion Sanders has almost single-handedly brought more attention, national spotlight, buzz and interest in a nearly forgotten football program in ONE season as entire teams, (like Oregon) have struggled to build up the old-fashioned way: by winning - year in and year out

How long did it take for Oregon to start getting the recognition it deserved before the media finally, grudgingly, began to acknowledge Oregon as a legitimate football power, a school to reckon with?

Never underestimate the power of publicity, charisma and media spotlight when that media crowns a new Darling.  Sanders and his team are on top of the CFB right now without really winning much of anything.  And if they keep winning... well... I guess we'll start hearing about CFB Playoffs and Shedeur for Heisman.  Egads.

• Applause 1

Mic, great points. In addition to winning on the field Oregon with the help of NIKE had a marketing plan to win off the field including the then-unique uniform changes.

And Chip Kelly with a then avant-garde, hurry-up no huddle offense took the country by storm. He certainly got Saint Nick's attention down in Tuscaloosa. 

But Deion? The man is a media magnet all on his own. He personally has increased the Buffs 'market cap' by 100%. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 9/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, Log Haulin said:

Deon Sanders has used his fast talking mouth to try and motivate his team. I get it, thats Deon. It's what he has always done.But Deon isn't going to play a single snap.

What Sanders doesn't realize is that he has put a huge target on his team. Every team that goes up against CU is going ro have a little more motivation to pound them into the dirt.

Sanders will keep jawing. He can't help himself. Many will continue to buy into the hype. The major networks will make sure of it. It's a huge money maker for them.

True colors will soon be revealed. I hope his players are mature enough to handle the adversity that is sure to come. Sanders has encouraged his team to fight at least once. We all saw the video.

Careful of what you celebrate today. Tomorrow could show a much different truth. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't look like it's going to end well for college football.

Log, great thoughts. However, I think Deion knows full well that he is a target and so is his team.

Coach Prime's reply about Lanning's comment. I bet by next week it will be 'personal.'

Colorado is having to start a freshman center today. 

I don't think many people picked up on this (it really is a cultural thing however).  There is a cultural phenomenon in the Black Community called the dirty dozens.  It usually goes by "your Mama is so fat, she has her own zip code".

So when Sanders said "he just brough my mama in this" (my interpretation), I started busting up.  

I've got to hand it to Norvell, he actually did a good job of bringing attention to his program using those dirty dozens, and using coach speak at the same time.  The comedy in all this is hysterical to me.  So many people are taking it "personal", when it really is hype and marketing at its finest-using those dirty dozens at that.  

I've always thought the WWE and WWF did a great job of promoting their product.  It obviously never gets old.  That old adage "any publicity is better than no publicity" is definitely in play.

• Applause 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:38 AM, Mike West said:

I've always thought the WWE and WWF did a great job of promoting their product.  It obviously never gets old.  That old adage "any publicity is better than no publicity" is definitely in play.

I said as much in another post. The problem is... this isn't pro wrestling. This is college football. The use of kayfabe and "your mama" jokes has no place here.

Sanders is bad for college football as a whole. The bill will come due and Sanders will dine and dash. 

College football is changed forever due to NIL and realignment. Now we have the clown show that is Colorado. 

Again... be careful what you celebrate. The cost of admission could end up being more than you are willing to pay.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DL will pour cold water on it with his usual anti-bulletin board commentary on the opposing coach and players next week.

Something along the lines of "I really respect what Coach Prime has accomplished there. They've got some great players...and if we don't play our absolute best they can beat us."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, Log Haulin said:

I said as much in another post. The problem is... this isn't pro wrestling. This is college football. The use of kayfabe and "your mama" jokes has no place here.

Sanders is bad for college football as a whole. The bill will come due and Sanders will dine and dash. 

College football is changed forever due to NIL and realignment. Now we have the clown show that is Colorado. 

Again... be careful what you celebrate. The cost of admission could end up being more than you are willing to pay.

That may have been the best Gameday ever. 1st time in Boulder since 1996. Great interview with Prime. The Rock was great.  Lee Corso's 400th hat dance. 

A 2025 Duck 'commit' is in Boulder today. I hope he doesn't flip.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/15/2023 at 1:19 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think Sanders has a lot better understanding of sports psychology than most ever will. Frankly, he was born with it.

Pretty much everything he says makes his team play better than if he'd kept his mouth shut.

I wish we could have coach Prime in Bo's ear before every away game to get his head right.

Sustained confidence, urgency and resolve can overcome any adversity, even losses they will inevitably experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sanders could make bulletin board material out of an opponent’s grocery list.  He’d “make it personal” if the coach bought Jif instead of Skippy.  

This works for a while but gets old in a hurry.  

Genius he is not, trash talker he has always been one of the best. Reality, he is not playing so all his talk means nothing unless you let it into your head. I always tried harder to beat a trash talker and I’m sure our Ducks will feel the same. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s beat Hawaii first then take care of Colorado, Frankly they should have lost both games but got the breaks and won.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:19 AM, TFITZ81 said:

Colorado is having to start a freshman center today. 

I think Popo could have fun with that, if it is true also for next week...

Popo is strong_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

Popo drove the Texas Tech center seven yards back and owned him...

Mr. FishDuck

I have been a top salesman for 50 years. I can recognize B.S. and if a person is a professional or not. I think Coach Prime is the best salesman I have ever seen. He is also a fine coach and a great motivator. Check out his documentary on Netflix. It is clear that he cares about his young men and is preparing them for life. What he has done at Colorado is unprecedented but a legal overhaul. He had the cojones to turn over virtually the entire team and they will be a force in the Pac 12 this year. 

I just read but cannot remember the source that stated that recruits are now flocking to Boulder and it is expected that his recruiting is going to go through the roof. 

I am really happy that this game is being played in Autzen. Autzen could be the difference. GO DUCKS!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:56 AM, Log Haulin said:

This isn't the Simpsons upstaging the Cosby Show.  This isn't Beavis and Butthead.  

You are seriously underestimating Coach Sanders.  The HBCU coaches did the same thing.  You do know Jackson State immediately went back to being the dog with fleas Sanders inherited don't you?  He immediately turned that program around. Sound familiar?  And don't think for a second Sanders didn't get the same welcoming committee in the HBCU ranks. You know, like what Norvell said about earning his job.  Norvell is 36-35 in FBS ranks.  Sanders is 2-0, and counting.  Norvell inherited a 3-9 team...and went 3-9.  Sanders has doubled the record of the homeless dog he inherited in two games.  In a tougher conference, Sanders is going to exceed Norvell's three wins. 

You are witnessing the building of a program.  It isn't a popularity contest, it isn't American Idol. It is serious business and a serious businessman is running a program the way he is supposed to: marketing it, growing it, and attracting the talent it needs to succeed.  He is not in the business of running it like the staid Presidents ran the Conference formally known as the PAC12.

People called him out. Still are.  He said he was coming.  He is here.  The cost of admission has risen.  There are far more ways than one to skin a cat.  The status of College Football is not going to the dumps because one Deion Sanders is running his program his way.  It didn't when Miami football players walked into South Bend Indiana wearing fatigues to provoke Touchdown Gosh.  It won't as realignment continues.  This is just part of the tapestry called College Football.  

Edited by Mike West
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2

On 9/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mike West said:

Sanders has doubled the record of the homeless dog he inherited in two games.  In a tougher conference,

Buffs haven't played a conference game yet. Gunna have to set the brakes on that one for a sec 

You are seriously underestimating Coach Sanders

I have given Deon his due. Stated plainly what I think of his talents in another thread. 

It's clear you are a fan. I get it, a lot of people are. Dude is super polarizing. He was one of a few players that sewered me on NFL. The arrogance that showed up in the league around 2k was a huge turn off for me.

It's  no secret I don't like the guy. His accomplishment are impressive though. 

The cost of admission has risen. 

And thats the bottom line. All about the Benjamins. And thats why he is here for awhile. Every media outlet out there will pump this untill the last dime.

Many of the same people overjoyed about the cash generated also groaned over the cash controling realignment. 

The play Deon is getting on OBDF alone is crazy. Doesn't make sense the love the guy gets after beating 2 weak teams. But he will get one more then 2 straight losses. That should quiet the noise till next year 

You will need to click to see entire post...

• Applause 1

The good news about Sanders?

He is the Big-12’s problem after this season!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sometimes teams need some extra motivation to dig deep. 

But I don't think making everything personal and having to push back against someone else's words or narrative is sustainable. 

At some point players need to dig deep and play to win because they want to win.

Do you think Saban, Smart or Dabo get their players hyped to play a game by saying the other coach said mean things about them? No... they focus on their business and take care of business. 

This stuff I think works in the short run and may help build a team up and believe in themselves but when do things stop being personal and a team just needs to take care of business and win? 

On 9/16/2023 at 3:11 PM, Log Haulin said:

Buffs haven't played a conference game yet. Gunna have to set the brakes on that one for a sec 

I have given Deon his due. Stated plainly what I think of his talents in another thread. 

It's clear you are a fan. I get it, a lot of people are. Dude is super polarizing. He was one of a few players that sewered me on NFL. The arrogance that showed up in the league around 2k was a huge turn off for me.

It's  no secret I don't like the guy. His accomplishment are impressive though. 

And thats the bottom line. All about the Benjamins. And thats why he is here for awhile. Every media outlet out there will pump this untill the last dime.

Many of the same people overjoyed about the cash generated also groaned over the cash controling realignment. 

The play Deon is getting on OBDF alone is crazy. Doesn't make sense the love the guy gets after beating 2 weak teams. But he will get one more then 2 straight losses. That should quiet the noise till next year 

You basically called Deion Sanders a clown.  He is anything but.  Jay Norvell knows.  He's black.  From a traditional background.  Sanders is from the Ghetto.  I respect Sanders because he isn't trying to bring the Ghetto mainstream.  He, like Norvell respects traditional life, but Sanders isn't going to compromise his core because people expect him to.  He doesn't bring all that excess baggage the ghetto leaves people with.  A clown show is what the HBCU schools continue to do.

That is why I respect Sanders.  He tried to make the HBCU ranks more professional.  They weren't having it, so he left.  That is the background you don't know about.  A lot of people want to take a country boy out of the country. Well, the same thing applies to ghetto folk.  I am fortunate enough to know how hard it is to navigate those unrealistic expectations of being yourself and dealing with a main culture that doesn't want you to be who you are.  And I'm not from the ghetto.  

Style and character are two very different aspects of a person.  It sounds like you mistake style for lack of character.  Willie Taggart lacks character.  Deion Sanders does not.  There is nothing wrong with you criticizing Sanders' style.  Please don't disparage his character when you don't know what he is really about.  Sanders is a role model for tons of young men that have been told they can't be who they are-and also been fed in an insidious manner that they can't succeed because they are black.  Sanders is an excellent example of exposing that lie.   

That is why Sanders is important.  That is why some in the media give him a wider audience.  Not to mention Colorado State is finally exploiting Colorado's weaknesses.  Sanders wasn't supposed to win early and he did.  Josh Pate at Late Kick said it best: moving the goalposts after the fact is hater material.  And that is directed at people that aren't necessarily hating on Sanders' style.  Norvell hasn't defeated teams with more talent at Colorado State until today.  Sanders has done it twice.  Media be damned, Sanders deserves respect for being professional enough to pull that off. 

• Great post! 2

On 9/16/2023 at 10:19 PM, Mike West said:

You basically called Deion Sanders a clown.  He is anything but.  Jay Norvell knows.  He's black.  From a traditional background.  Sanders is from the Ghetto.  I respect Sanders because he isn't trying to bring the Ghetto mainstream.  He, like Norvell respects traditional life, but Sanders isn't going to compromise his core because people expect him to.  He doesn't bring all that excess baggage the ghetto leaves people with.  A clown show is what the HBCU schools continue to do.

That is why I respect Sanders.  He tried to make the HBCU ranks more professional.  They weren't having it, so he left.  That is the background you don't know about.  A lot of people want to take a country boy out of the country. Well, the same thing applies to ghetto folk.  I am fortunate enough to know how hard it is to navigate those unrealistic expectations of being yourself and dealing with a main culture that doesn't want you to be who you are.  And I'm not from the ghetto.  

Style and character are two very different aspects of a person.  It sounds like you mistake style for lack of character.  Willie Taggart lacks character.  Deion Sanders does not.  There is nothing wrong with you criticizing Sanders' style.  Please don't disparage his character when you don't know what he is really about.  Sanders is a role model for tons of young men that have been told they can't be who they are-and also been fed in an insidious manner that they can't succeed because they are black.  Sanders is an excellent example of exposing that lie.   

That is why Sanders is important.  That is why some in the media give him a wider audience.  Not to mention Colorado State is finally exploiting Colorado's weaknesses.  Sanders wasn't supposed to win early and he did.  Josh Pate at Late Kick said it best: moving the goalposts after the fact is hater material.  And that is directed at people that aren't necessarily hating on Sanders' style.  Norvell hasn't defeated teams with more talent at Colorado State until today.  Sanders has done it twice.  Media be damned, Sanders deserves respect for being professional enough to pull that off. 

This was a good debate until you put words in my mouth and brought up the race card. Which has nothing to do with it. 

By doing that, you killed the conversation. I get it, it's  an easy out. You had plenty to make your case, but it is what it is. 

On 9/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, Log Haulin said:

This was a good debate until you put words in my mouth and brought up the race card. Which has nothing to do with it. 

By doing that, you killed the conversation. I get it, it's  an easy out. You had plenty to make your case, but it is what it is. 

My man, your not understanding here. Definitely let this convo drop.

Let's move on to discussion of the teams' play on the field from here on out.