Charles Fischer

High Anxiety: What Sedative Are YOU Taking for the Game?

I have had SO MANY Duck-Buddies tell me how anxious they are getting for the game, and how stressed out they will be during the game.  I recall a fan telling me how he had to take a tranquilizer during big Oregon games, or even not watch them and go for a bike ride during the game.  He would check the score later and if Oregon won....then he would watch the recording.

I am charting the game, so I can't turn to my Oregon Craft Beer IPAs and although being stressed from wanting to win--will be fully engaged watching the plays over on slow-motion.  What do YOU do to calm you down? 

Sedatives anyone?

Explosion Plays Would Help...

LMJ_Video_FP.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

If you have a hook up on overnight tranquilizers let me know… hopefully we will only need them for the first quarter and then it will just be fun soaking in the beat down. 

Insanely long walks! Like maybe ten miles today. As an avid Duck fan living in Seattle, I’ve seen way too many husky dogs today (one is too many!) 

But alas, I remind myself there are way more ducks flying around and we have far better athletes and the game is decided one play at at time through four quarters. And I conclude, “Relax, we’ve got this!”

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

Martinis. 

Several.

But not till after the game.

Win or lose they lower my BP.

During the game I pace.

I yell at the TV.

And I high-five my wife after every good play.

Oh, and I eat licorice vines. Sometimes several bags!

• Go Ducks! 1

I'm going to actively NOT watch the game. The reason why? Because every single time I don't watch a big game on TV, we win, and oftentimes we win big.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Color me superstitious, I don't mind. WE GOT HUSKIES TO BEAT!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Booze. Whether whiskey or a beer/cider I'll decide at game time. Which will actually be later in the day as I record the games to watch later (skip the commercials; be productive in the afternoon). I am cautiously optimistic, but might need a double-shot for this weekend.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have season tickets and attend every home game.

It’s much easier to take the stress when you are screaming your lungs out at the game alongside so many other like-minded individuals. At least you are involved in helping the cause, even if it’s in a very minor way.

I find away games very hard to watch on TV.

I record away games and start watching the recorded broadcast a half hour to an hour after kickoff. I also sneak peeks at score updates on the ESPN app when I can’t take it anymore. That seems to take the edge off.

It’s the not knowing that gets you. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've never needed a seditive, I want to get pumped for the game. During the Bellotti years I snuck in my flask with a portion of peach brandy. In the colder days it was switched out for Crown Royal that mixed better with the snack bar hot chocolate that I shared with my wife. When we scored I would allow myself a swallow. Until I got noticed by a security monitor, he tapped on my shoulder and requested that I give him my monogramed flask that was an Anniversary gift from my wife. He agreed to return the flask after emptying it in the bathroom, which he did. It was late in the fourth quarter and only had trickle left in it.

Being a sneaky and resourceful Duck I aquired a dummy set of binoculars. They looked real and held twice as much. Peach brandy on one side and Crown Royal on the other side. During the "Chip" years the Ducks would score and I would sip.Score and sip, score and sip, score and sip. Leaving the game the South steps became a challenge. Maturity determined that this type of celebration was no longer needed outside the comfort of my little log cabin. 

Saturday 12:30 kickoff may offer up an early brunch with a Bloody Mary and celebratory Duck Farts after each touchdown. I'm counting 7 scores. I think I need some more Kaluha.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Red Eddy....what a great post!  Fun to see what everyone else does...

My Man-Cave is far away from the rest of the house so they don't hear me cheer, or shout in frustration at the TV.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't recommend this to anyone but when I get really nervous and concerned about a huge road game, I've been known not to watch it Live, but catch the recording, if possible, after I already know the final score.  I've done that more than once.  

When watching the recording, even knowing the Ducks lost, I can do so with a critical eye and a calm disposition.  If they've won the big game, I really enjoy it, again with a cooler disposition and an eye for more detail.  

If it's a really big game and it's in Autzen, I always watch it Live if I can - no matter how nervous or concerned I am.  At least the fans are on my side. No medication (or lubrication) necessary in any case.

• Salute 1

I just beat up on a stuffed Husky toy lol

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will probably exile myself into the basement for the game... right now I'm feeling pretty good.

• Haha 1

MYLANTA! With a few shots of Stoli.

LOL at this take that just came up on the CBS site, 

USC D - University of Swiss Cheese, 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, David Marsh said:

I will probably exile myself into the basement for the game... right now I'm feeling pretty good.

Prepare for the attic after the win. Though climb for me but not for you, young man.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, Mic said:

I don't recommend this to anyone but when I get really nervous and concerned about a huge road game, I've been known not to watch it Live, but catch the recording, if possible, after I already know the final score.  I've done that more than once.  

When watching the recording, even knowing the Ducks lost, I can do so with a critical eye and a calm disposition.  If they've won the big game, I really enjoy it, again with a cooler disposition and an eye for more detail.  

If it's a really big game and it's in Autzen, I always watch it Live if I can - no matter how nervous or concerned I am.  At least the fans are on my side. No medication (or lubrication) necessary in any case.

WIMP! But I feel your pain. I'm off for a quick 9 holes. No game whatever the score can match my bad golf swing.

Kirk, where are the pins and needles and the bad Husky juju?

On 10/13/2023 at 6:32 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

I've never needed a seditive, I want to get pumped for the game. During the Bellotti years I snuck in my flask with a portion of peach brandy. In the colder days it was switched out for Crown Royal that mixed better with the snack bar hot chocolate that I shared with my wife. When we scored I would allow myself a swallow. Until I got noticed by a security monitor, he tapped on my shoulder and requested that I give him my monogramed flask that was an Anniversary gift from my wife. He agreed to return the flask after emptying it in the bathroom, which he did. It was late in the fourth quarter and only had trickle left in it.

Being a sneaky and resourceful Duck I aquired a dummy set of binoculars. They looked real and held twice as much. Peach brandy on one side and Crown Royal on the other side. During the "Chip" years the Ducks would score and I would sip.Score and sip, score and sip, score and sip. Leaving the game the South steps became a challenge. Maturity determined that this type of celebration was no longer needed outside the comfort of my little log cabin. 

Saturday 12:30 kickoff may offer up an early brunch with a Bloody Mary and celebratory Duck Farts after each touchdown. I'm counting 7 scores. I think I need some more Kaluha.

You married a good woman!

On 10/13/2023 at 5:38 PM, SilverDuck said:

Booze. Whether whiskey or a beer/cider I'll decide at game time. Which will actually be later in the day as I record the games to watch later (skip the commercials; be productive in the afternoon). I am cautiously optimistic, but might need a double-shot for this weekend.

Go Ducks!

May I humbly suggest cider with something 100 proof poured in and a few beers on the side? After all, in 2024 Oregon is joining a conference of Boiler Makers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:07 PM, Chas Man said:

Insanely long walks! Like maybe ten miles today. As an avid Duck fan living in Seattle, I’ve seen way too many husky dogs today (one is too many!) 

But alas, I remind myself there are way more ducks flying around and we have far better athletes and the game is decided one play at at time through four quarters. And I conclude, “Relax, we’ve got this!”

Go Ducks!

Chas, ten miles? With a walk like that I'd have to hit my cariologist who I have on speed dial and forget (kind of) about the game.

I'd have a nurse in ER tell me the score. And awaken or hopefully join Puddles in the sky?

• Thumbs Up 1

I will drink coffee in the a.m. post some takes here. Probably go troll some fusky fans. Watch some football 

Troll my brother lightly. He is a die hard fusky. Followed his crappy team into every Pac-12 stadium.

Then I am going to watch every minute of the Duck game stone cold sober. My dog will go hide in another room like every week.

I am compleatly jacked up already. I love these feelings these big games give. It's the climax of every week. I live to watch football.

• Applause 1

On 10/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, kirklandduck said:

I just beat up on a stuffed Husky toy lol

I just built a time machine using, erm, questionable methods. I was able to travel 48 hours into the future, and alas my Duck brethren, I have returned from my travels with indisputable evidence of our impending victory!!

Using technology of highly advanced and legally questionable nature, I was able to capture this image in Seattle approximately 48 hours from now.

Observe...

FB_IMG_1697240266924.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I usually turn to my good friend Al. Also goes by Gin. 

But tomorrow, ... I'm taking my niece to the pumpkin patch.

• Applause 1

I usually don’t have a problem watching but I will flip back and forth to watch a better matchup if it’s on during the same time slot. This weekend I’m going to Williams-Brice to see the Gamecocks/Gators, but I’ll try to keep up with the Ducks on my phone. Every now and then I like to leave the house to see a live CFB game….and tailgate.

I actually live closer to Chapel Hill and would love to see the Heels/Canes, but the UNC football atmosphere is akin to Cal and Stanford. It’s hard to believe that they are the same fans that fill the Dean Dome.

IMG_2362.jpeg

I lucked out this year.

My wife just had rotator cuff surgery and she is now taking sugar instead of pain pills 😇 

• Haha 2

On 10/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You married a good woman!

No. A great woman married me. After 43 years I still pinch myself. Heres our Duck Shrine and the Duck with a noose on Fusky ready to kick him off the bar.

ADCreHf67iW52ccxfBPf-jg8ZuYgfBI8AremGg2iZesCqoOluuRHNeRWhVhu9tU_tYdI6qjfybx_TtSj71mhFM0mGAFcq9vLFNxe0HNEpT3Ix1baiZZB5Qsd95VWE8fdKTIiVs_fihmh_JosXX1fqE4s4i61WJa1YdufdxyZCHyFW7n1VpE3vuO8huB3WErJqbWKJtHsGy6FLDfxt6VARs08cavurdPg43ldNo30LPuHjYoNdOR-acli1vs3T2Ba6zObiy_bFQlvgx7_RnTzToX_K_7Jyxt33nqqY3X24AtVtLd8np5OQsuwzAsd1tW81OPSAlFjqnbQdJPl2Ijp3Tno2VOumLhcfSHMmXBab0xl19N0Y_cyH0ybJ_MTR9xhX9hkQC6ytcaBHczbyCy0CF1UweVhslNdSn_ZAljHrBVyKPH3PnglrAbMf7aJ2zzjMrhe7BCJsZjk7wUrY7NuHu-n-nr-dsnvtfv-EpIcczEGRPhBldZur5R1XKXhtk_BWkEJJkNxkwDPuFtfvIKTkhGHCvEJNRCbtgV7m5LTnFwbRw_Jg8pCDBMznBpTCTIwWJ_5vEfYUwygT565PM03jrRdyRFpNlvYqrqQafrdgYZQmCetxHVtRCyGs5q-JLWFe93xYdvIH95h8yKXgYmc7pAMVPq7Mz88xmO2E8NAHXChfojVRh_vTK_tv9FsXs-sIMiLQmRzLWGNHeCar09oJ2n-CLVE6Bu7-S2m_CPIibIE-If6SKpZLiw4C_xlIR5kQrfw5xFh9mEH7X3TpShx4Gi4bEpXiLZNMOv5cgSOAEbukt8AKA3hGChWhKkpgVrDNdS-G-aqFlciIxpruwym6mJWBpiWO4FqtyV6Wg6EvARp1YnDSkWhLtVIw3G_oDPEQAuN8MK5tUCy48p-bX2v4mWlSpZdiBZ8zwQzIlw4M6g62sleizwWxfvrRLIaavri5a56i5MUdD7c5pwUwi5FdUak8gd2R-dIfZA=w297-h659-s-no?authuser=0

ADCreHc3drw-isrXmtJWhrVFIERU2bitlSiEbRQagKlM1DjI4qRheCnCA0A55E79Zehzmdz0xhlIQOkfIjJxXyBT9W2rx2vGi9MD1R52vj_ZWnKGMIx2GozASURz030dZdMTmxeevBvz9CseDQlNUg1BQsox5yMtQ5-L7-aQQFYdln2ww82JEElnwuUTw2gkKFWSOIr0RasGT6lsPbOgS0bDC7p7oLuPf6f0DfHSXkYt4pPSDB2pAWU0getM-310pZvlx7_jQqml6PRXnO1zVbKM2P9RwaKxO-xj7wKHaeeNV0yYgT9ThxifoT1a0jY9R2DGGxamCrhr4UxBihzb9xabl_iTbZpRHdfsMbp1VYhK7Yp6jHGaKnelPSr_EPEiwB1ZkSUMOJ9fD1kvgNIWKjhjT5qa_WZZ7McGNH5l15c92KcaFgsS622TgurNjA0XPuteNdWHzqmwvJ2xuCtqckzHWpCzQHJpDU6d-IkIjp4I2M8TvnKZqYx2T9tdWXoBrLddS8bZ2tgXKEeritBaMWrVKs3CDxX8YKYTzOzed42dB5F2cxvy35CfdWelyXQtOd0r-9DIT8hqazepZs_RnFsNTWgCtlinx87bIGHWIFwshNwYAQSrqtgCt4E27m2WAzsukO4hi-pl4WqwN_ZJL3fm52Fx7fbvf-2L4mzzBomiWGu95jtBhKvmP0uDjpbWuvUrSqBn_qih498Z-uYl50UGJPa9KJ5C506kWmkCTnBDDBAAbynQ3-VGreVmo1VhTwRUnxXL1cb3uQgRk_pfio860y1n_7wZHAdT4tUvKIbq44j0xhSV68DRV2tMmZK0xgVZQc6QPiglnEoa876IJJYPKkqCs8D26GhfWaO8rFxHj75GuiCw6LzvzdlhX2gRf9HgytS2zsDH98IpVBN4SIjyauSUBWereKv-uS9dqCiT0jLdYO5zo_I_KVLMuPKs-lRCgIs9a1WINR4TPyu-PugynF_hZzN5GGQ=w1364-h614-s-no?authuser=0

• Applause 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:20 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

No. A great woman married me. After 43 years I still pinch myself. Heres our Duck Shrine and the Duck with a noose on Fusky ready to kick him off the bar.

ADCreHf67iW52ccxfBPf-jg8ZuYgfBI8AremGg2iZesCqoOluuRHNeRWhVhu9tU_tYdI6qjfybx_TtSj71mhFM0mGAFcq9vLFNxe0HNEpT3Ix1baiZZB5Qsd95VWE8fdKTIiVs_fihmh_JosXX1fqE4s4i61WJa1YdufdxyZCHyFW7n1VpE3vuO8huB3WErJqbWKJtHsGy6FLDfxt6VARs08cavurdPg43ldNo30LPuHjYoNdOR-acli1vs3T2Ba6zObiy_bFQlvgx7_RnTzToX_K_7Jyxt33nqqY3X24AtVtLd8np5OQsuwzAsd1tW81OPSAlFjqnbQdJPl2Ijp3Tno2VOumLhcfSHMmXBab0xl19N0Y_cyH0ybJ_MTR9xhX9hkQC6ytcaBHczbyCy0CF1UweVhslNdSn_ZAljHrBVyKPH3PnglrAbMf7aJ2zzjMrhe7BCJsZjk7wUrY7NuHu-n-nr-dsnvtfv-EpIcczEGRPhBldZur5R1XKXhtk_BWkEJJkNxkwDPuFtfvIKTkhGHCvEJNRCbtgV7m5LTnFwbRw_Jg8pCDBMznBpTCTIwWJ_5vEfYUwygT565PM03jrRdyRFpNlvYqrqQafrdgYZQmCetxHVtRCyGs5q-JLWFe93xYdvIH95h8yKXgYmc7pAMVPq7Mz88xmO2E8NAHXChfojVRh_vTK_tv9FsXs-sIMiLQmRzLWGNHeCar09oJ2n-CLVE6Bu7-S2m_CPIibIE-If6SKpZLiw4C_xlIR5kQrfw5xFh9mEH7X3TpShx4Gi4bEpXiLZNMOv5cgSOAEbukt8AKA3hGChWhKkpgVrDNdS-G-aqFlciIxpruwym6mJWBpiWO4FqtyV6Wg6EvARp1YnDSkWhLtVIw3G_oDPEQAuN8MK5tUCy48p-bX2v4mWlSpZdiBZ8zwQzIlw4M6g62sleizwWxfvrRLIaavri5a56i5MUdD7c5pwUwi5FdUak8gd2R-dIfZA=w297-h659-s-no?authuser=0

ADCreHc3drw-isrXmtJWhrVFIERU2bitlSiEbRQagKlM1DjI4qRheCnCA0A55E79Zehzmdz0xhlIQOkfIjJxXyBT9W2rx2vGi9MD1R52vj_ZWnKGMIx2GozASURz030dZdMTmxeevBvz9CseDQlNUg1BQsox5yMtQ5-L7-aQQFYdln2ww82JEElnwuUTw2gkKFWSOIr0RasGT6lsPbOgS0bDC7p7oLuPf6f0DfHSXkYt4pPSDB2pAWU0getM-310pZvlx7_jQqml6PRXnO1zVbKM2P9RwaKxO-xj7wKHaeeNV0yYgT9ThxifoT1a0jY9R2DGGxamCrhr4UxBihzb9xabl_iTbZpRHdfsMbp1VYhK7Yp6jHGaKnelPSr_EPEiwB1ZkSUMOJ9fD1kvgNIWKjhjT5qa_WZZ7McGNH5l15c92KcaFgsS622TgurNjA0XPuteNdWHzqmwvJ2xuCtqckzHWpCzQHJpDU6d-IkIjp4I2M8TvnKZqYx2T9tdWXoBrLddS8bZ2tgXKEeritBaMWrVKs3CDxX8YKYTzOzed42dB5F2cxvy35CfdWelyXQtOd0r-9DIT8hqazepZs_RnFsNTWgCtlinx87bIGHWIFwshNwYAQSrqtgCt4E27m2WAzsukO4hi-pl4WqwN_ZJL3fm52Fx7fbvf-2L4mzzBomiWGu95jtBhKvmP0uDjpbWuvUrSqBn_qih498Z-uYl50UGJPa9KJ5C506kWmkCTnBDDBAAbynQ3-VGreVmo1VhTwRUnxXL1cb3uQgRk_pfio860y1n_7wZHAdT4tUvKIbq44j0xhSV68DRV2tMmZK0xgVZQc6QPiglnEoa876IJJYPKkqCs8D26GhfWaO8rFxHj75GuiCw6LzvzdlhX2gRf9HgytS2zsDH98IpVBN4SIjyauSUBWereKv-uS9dqCiT0jLdYO5zo_I_KVLMuPKs-lRCgIs9a1WINR4TPyu-PugynF_hZzN5GGQ=w1364-h614-s-no?authuser=0

I like the bar. It has a lot of good drink possibilities.

IMG_2534.jpeg

Being as the drinking will commence during the a.m. I'll be blending the best breakfast drink, the Ramos Fizz.

I suppose I sound like the old hippie here haha. My bottle of scotch is empty so I will smoke a big joint before the game and maybe at halftime, a beer or two along the way, and probably many short walks out in the meadow both when frustrated or intermission.  Occasionally I will complain to my sweetie or text a friend. Go Ducks!  I am cautiously very optimistic. I have a bottle of champagne for dinner if my optimism is rewarded.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope the players are calmer than me. Fans may get more nervous than players because fans are absolutely helpless when it comes to influencing the game. Players can at least hit someone.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

A tough workout, if I give it my all then my Ducks can do the same. Nothing like getting a little tired to calm the nerves. 

A very nice martini to celebrate after the game too.

• Applause 1

Y'all made me feel so much better about myself! I might even watch it live without an anxiety pill now.....huck the Fuskies!!!! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:02 PM, Jemangi said:

I suppose I sound like the old hippie here haha. My bottle of scotch is empty so I will smoke a big joint before the game and maybe at halftime, a beer or two along the way, and probably many short walks out in the meadow both when frustrated or intermission.  Occasionally I will complain to my sweetie or text a friend. Go Ducks!  I am cautiously very optimistic. I have a bottle of champagne for dinner if my optimism is rewarded.

Good thing you don't live in South Carolina. You can marry your 1st cousin but you can't smoke dope.

• Yikes! 1

As fans we get anxious about these types of games. What do you think the players going through? 

What a total rush to run out onto that field tomorrow. Makes me want to put on the pads…as long as I don’t get hit by one of these guys…lol

Let’s go Ducks!!!!

The big screen TV will be warmed up, ready to go, my cushy recliner as well.  The garage beer frig is on extra cold, and a large assortment of central Oregon craft IPAs are chilling and waiting.  Didn't invite friends over,as I'll just need to be left alone so I can concentrate on the game ( and the beer).

It's a great football weekend, starting with last nights game, and there are killer Pac 12 games through the day.  If I can just get through our game, the rest of the games will be very relaxing.

• Applause 1