Log Haulin

Did Lanning Get His Wings Clipped?

This has been bothering me all day. Something seems off. Seems there has been a shift in the ethos of Oregon Ducks football. I can't say for sure but it feels something has changed and I am not sure it's for the better.

I noticed it in Lannings 2 press conferences since the WSU game. He seems more subdued, less confident and sure.

One thing I always saw in Lanning was the fire in his eyes and the confidence in his voice. It was noticeably tempered in his last two pressers as far as I could tell.

I usually have a pretty good read on these types of things. Its what made me good at poker back when I used to play. 

Did the Husky game play a roll? Was that loss a catalyst for change in the way Lanning coaches and makes game time decisions from the sideline?

I don't know the answer. But I picked up on it pretty quick and will definitely be paying attention to how the Utes game is called. 

I looked at some stats for the season and found that Lanning has went for it on 4th down every game but one. You guessed it, the Coug game. 

Lanning knew Camdens head wasn't right and that he has been struggling with accuracies from distance. Yet he ran him out there and the result was a missed FG. Lanning knew.

No fake punts, no going for it on 4th down, no 2 pt conversions, no onside kicks. Was there any out of the box plays v. Cougs? Can't remember any trick plays, nothing. 

I sure hope I am wrong. Gunna rely on you guys to poke holes in my sprouting theory. I really don't want to be right about this. Its not in my nature. I am a "rah rah" homer. I am not an Eyore.

But man... did Lanning get his wings clipped?

• Oh no! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

A frown and a word is not getting one's wings clipped... that would be a more stern warning.

I doubt that DL got a stern warning. 

We don't know what's going on. Sickness? Worry? Introspection? Second guessing one's self?

The Ducks came away with a loss, but at the same time, people across the country were wondering out loud if the better team didn't lose that day.

No drop in the polls? That's 62 voters from all over the country that didn't see a much difference in how they valued the Ducks. They just moved up the Huskies.

DL said he could handle himself and the criticism. If PK or anyone else expressed any anger at the decisions that were made, I'm pretty sure DL had a good and respectful answer.

A couple of pressers a few days apart does not a pattern make.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I doubt it.  However, if he worked for me, he would have.  After his “over-his-skis” decisions that changed a Victory over UW into a loss….it was UW who was No. 5 int polls, when it should’ve been us.   And, Penix was the consensus Heisman frontrunner, when a victory in that game would have bestowed that status on Nix.  We don’t get such opportunities often enough, and Lanning’s recklessness pulled the rug out from under his team.  It certainly wouldn’t be inappropriate, in my book, if there had been a little “conference” amongst Lanning and UO Athletic Admin…..maybe even Phil Knight?……apres the UW debacle.

The stakes get higher as the season rolls on.

I think the media has a lot to do with any coaches demeanor.  A hero when a fake punt goes well deep in your own territory with an overmatched opponent, and lambasted if you go for it on 4th down and fail with a big game on the line. 

His “wings” aren’t clipped. But, perhaps they got ruffled after the pup game.

It is easy to coach from the couch. Much more intense when a microphone is put in front of you and then you get asked about decisions made that may have cost your team the game. 

We just happen to have a front row seat watching our head coach as he grows into that position.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not feel as if Coach Lanning had his wings clipped.

If anything, I see mid-season stress on a young coach. We are at that point in the season when EVERYTHING ramps up. With each passing week the intensity rises and rises. There is a reason these coaches make the kind of money they do. IT'S STRESSFUL!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, Drake said:

His “wings” aren’t clipped. But, perhaps they got ruffled after the pup game.

And maybe they should be. I don't claim to know the right answer, it was just an observation backed by how the game was called the following week.

I don't know, if true, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. Who knows, at the end of the day this could be a pivotal point in Lanning becoming a better coach 

I did not see the interviews you did, so you have a perception there that many of us do not have.

But I look at the bigger picture; he is only 37 years old, and we ALL go through growth/learning phases in our lives.  Some are painful, and others give us pause as we rethink things.  He might just be going through a "re-thinking" period that perhaps could have come from a discussion with an experienced coach?  Maybe Bellotti, Kirby Smart, or one or more of the Oregon offensive assistants?

Since his staff has been around TONS of winning coaches--maybe he had an "intervention" that is giving him pause?  I do not know, just spit-balling.  But considering his age and how this is his first coaching gig....and how he has lost three games in two years over the same philosophy applied...perhaps all of the above occurred?  

He wasn't clipped, but "advised," and is thinking it through?

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

He probably realized that his defense is good enough to get some stops and he can help them out by not putting them in a hole. Patience will be key when playing Utah. If he can keep their offense in check like UCLA and Beavis did then the chances of winning are really good. If Riverboat Dan makes a return then the Utes could get a freebie or two.

• Thumbs Up 1

For your reference, I believe these were the two pressers Log Haulin is refering to...

Postgame Washington State

Dan Lanning Weekly Press Conference: October 23, 2023

• Thanks 1

Maybe Lanning did the clipping? Let me explain. 

I know DL is the Head Coach, but from what I gather, he hired a knowledgeable, terrific staff - for a reason. Maybe it was Will Stein whose wings have been clipped? Or rather, tampered. 

After all, Stein is the OC. He calls the plays. DL may have given him more slack previously, but might have pulled the leash a bit since our loss to the ... 🤮

I can't say it. 

I know I'm speculating, but hey, who among us actually knows what's happening behind the curtain? 

Whatever happens, I want a team with more consistency in all phases. I'm not expecting perfection, cause that's non-existent in football, but being consistently good in all phases of the game should be attainable for OBD. Let's hope they get there by Saturday... And stay there. 🦆

Great observation, btw. Keeps us thinking. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I certainly hope PK has no influence on coaching.

I know there was a rumor a few years back about him referring some plays.

ewe dub was hopefully a learning experience for Dan, Bo, and all the coaches and players.  Obviously not the refs.

• Thumbs Up 3

Log Haulin, DL was certainly subdued in those presses. Seemed to be fatigued.....

No way to know if anybody got their wings clipped. I asked myself why would anyone (the AD, PK anyone?)

clip the wings of a HC who is 16-4?

98% of the FCS schools would want him as there coach. The other 2% will chase him if they need to.

DL is a rising star, gaining valuable real time in game experience at a Top 10 level temperature. Mistakes are part of the job! Let DL do his job....

Wing clipping is an off season, behind closed doors, out of the heat of the moment type of thing. Mostly for losing record coaches.

Who in their right mind would criticize or clip the wings of top producers?

Gee Dan, we know you are 16-4, #2 in ypg and ppg, top 10 ranking, top 10 recruiting class, up graded the D and added more weapons for Bo, but.........

Not a chance, imho....

After watching and rewatching the Coug game, just dont see where going for it on 4th down was necessary. No gambling needed.

This game was never in doubt and no need to do anthing but ram down the cougars throat ala #88.

At Rice Eccles, Log Haulin, rest assured DL will gamble and take chances. He knows the table stakes against the Utes. I like that version of DL. But FG's do count!

CFP hopes are dashed for the loser.

I wonder if the OBDF members feel OSU has a better defense than the Ducks?

Or does Utah have a better offense that the huskies?

I don't and this game shouldnt be close. Barring mistakes, Utah should struggle to put 21 points on the board....

Only the Ducks can keep themselves from scoring 38 points. Not the Utes!

Go Ducks..........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I think we're reading too much into things.   I am 1000% guilty of doing the same thing at times (a lot) as well.

Dan puts in 16-18 hour days.  When his 'football coach' day is over Dan heads home and is a husband and father to three boys so his day is not really over once he leaves his office.  

He is a passionate guy and he knows very well he is in a very good situation.   I have been told by several people inside the AD Dan is the first of the last three coaches who truly realizes what he has.   Just as a point of reference his predecessor's pressers were so lacking in any emotion that it was often hard to watch.

I sort of detected last week that he might have had a cold.  

My $.02 take is no one has clipped his wings and if I had to sit down and take questions from Crepea I might be a little weary too.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

No fake punts, no going for it on 4th down, no 2 pt conversions, no onside kicks. Was there any out of the box plays v. Cougs? Can't remember any trick plays, nothing.

In truth they didn't need anything outside the box ... But they did add the jumbo package back in. 

I think there is some tempering of his mentality here. 3 games lost when they probably would have been won if they took the points. 

It feels like it is some self evaluation and some growth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, Augduck said:

Honestly, I think we're reading too much into things.   I am 1000% guilty of doing the same thing at times (a lot) as well.

Dan puts in 16-18 hour days.  When his 'football coach' day is over Dan heads home and is a husband and father to three boys so his day is not really over once he leaves his office.  

He is a passionate guy and he knows very well he is in a very good situation.   I have been told by several people inside the AD Dan is the first of the last three coaches who truly realizes what he has.   Just as a point of reference his predecessor's pressers were so lacking in any emotion that it was often hard to watch.

I sort of detected last week that he might have had a cold.  

My $.02 take is no one has clipped his wings and if I had to sit down and take questions from Crepea I might be a little weary too.

I think you hit it on the head.  Occum's Razor....he works his butt off and it's the middle of the season and just into the meat of the toughest part of the schedule.  He's probably just exhausted and maybe has a cold because it's that time of year.  Dude needs a day off to recharge.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, Steven A said:

I certainly hope PK has no influence on coaching.

I know there was a rumor a few years back about him referring some plays.

ewe dub was hopefully a learning experience for Dan, Bo, and all the coaches and players.  Obviously not the refs.

Agree on Phil Knight. He has been an invaluable supporter of Oregon athletics, particularly football, but he is not a football coach……and perhaps no more knowledgeable about the game than the majority of us on this site.

• Applause 1

I choose not to rely on any image DL projects, just the results on the field, and so far I’ve really got nothing to complain about.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

After the first half of the UW game I was beginning to think that Will Stein should have 51% of the vote on whether to go for it on fourth downs.

Some great spit-balling here as Charles said. One thing for sure is something is noticeably different. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing. It doesn't have to be either.

Lanning preaches the 1%. Maybe, as said in different ways here, it's self-reflection after the fusky game and the process is noticeably visible.

Either way, it will be something to watch. Should be interesting to watch the man grow ( if that is what this is) in real time. Just hope he doesn't over correct. 

• Applause 1

Most people that have been around sports all their lives are very intense, myself included. It’s entirely possible that the Mutt game has caused some sleepless nights for our young head coach. Understandable for sure.

Dan knows he has made some mistakes and he probably would have done some things different now that he knows the outcome.

If he becomes a touch more conservative I can totally get it. 

His goal is to win the rest of his games this year with a bunch of young men one at a time. The pack is toughest it’s ever been and we all know that. I doubt if the muts can stay undefeated the next five games. Some very tough outs ahead for them.

Heck Dan may still have a belly ache since the mut game. I know I do.

He is after all human and still very young. Hope he stays here a very long time and wins a lot of games and never looses to the muts again.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 10/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, Augduck said:

I'm with Augduck. The last Ducks vs Them video after the Wazzu game had DL delivering supportive and fiery locker room talks to the team. The first was after the UW loss. No backing down and lots of well directed passion. I didn't see any clipped wings.

The daring play calls like fake punts and 4th down attempts were not needed against the Cougs. After all the criticism about not taking the points against UW, Oregon attempted two FGs. Lewis missed one and needs to get his mojo back after two weeks of subpar performances. You don’t do that by benching your kicker. Remember that Lewis won the last WSU game played in Autzen two years ago. I'm willing to bet Oregon will need his leg at some critical point later this season..

Maybe Lanning is going to put a somewhat more subdued face on during the pressers. And I totally agree about Crepea. Taking his multipart, obtuse and occasionally inanely picky detail oriented 'I'm the smartest dude in the room' questions would make me want to smile thinly, subtly shake my head, and reply in monotonal coach-speak.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

EB DuckDad- thanks for the call out. You nailed exactly what I should have more clearly said.

DL saves his fire and brimstone for the right times.  Taking questions from Crepea and others, which I honestly think he does far more respectfully than his predecessor has to be hard.  By the end of the day I am sure Dan is ready to unwind just like all the rest of us.   Only thing is Dan's job is 24x7 now and is that way until the ink is dry on NLIs on the that first Wednesday in February.  In reality Dan never really gets a reprieve other than a couple of weeks in July when he goes on vacation.

• Thumbs Up 1

I tend to want to listen to the poker players intuition. We may not be seeing a change, change seldom happens to a person with a solid mind and belief system. What we can expect to see is a shift. 

I think Log Haulin is seeing a shift, not feathers being clipped, feathers ruffled, but Lanning scratching his head and questioning his decision process. This process is painful, as we all know, and many have written about, but the end result is a sharper decision making process.

I don't think we are going to see any fundamental change with Dan Lanning, and I am grateful for that. We want Lanning to be aggressive, innovative, but we want him to grow, shift. 

I would say he pondered his decisions, because he hates being 0-3 against our rivals more than anyone knows. Log Hauler noticed that pondering process, and the hand Lanning plays next time just might show that shift.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's a great example of why Dan might be 'distracted'.  I imagine he has a pretty singular focus this week and what Michigan is doing or did is probably not at the top of his list.  I get it involved Oregon (and Georgia when he was there) but not sure what it has to do with Utah.  Just sayin'

Dan Lanning said he didn’t have a lot of thoughts on Michigan in-game scouting Oregon last season: “Ultimately, I think that’ll all sort itself out.” Re: if anything was unusual about 2021 Orange Bowl vs Michigan after it scouted SECCG: “I just remember the result of that game.”