Charles Fischer

Ruh-Roh! The Hits Keep Coming for USC...

Can you blame them?  (Rumor is they have a very highly rated RB, that could be a Bucky replacement?)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

And....another Oregon pay-site has confirmed that Oregon has already been contacted by "interested parties" for a number of transfer prospects from a number of teams at key positions.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

If that list includes some solid QB1s, I'd be a happy Duck fan.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Drew Mehringer might as well go after Duce Robinson again!

I don't think we need any more RBs...Noah is going to come back next season along with Dante Dowell and Jayden Limar.  Add in any recruits for 2024 (most likely Jason Brown Jr. and Da'Juan Riggs) and you have a ridiculously stacked room.  

Like Kamikaze Kid mentioned, I'd rather they look at another veteran QB transfer to add some much needed experience to the QB squad after Bo leaves. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ll take WSU QB Cam Ward. 

It would be intersting to know how many here agree with kirkland and kamikaze on bringing in a seasoned QB out of the portal. 

When Bo was brought in the consensus seemed to be that most wanted Oregon coaching staff to play Ty. The argument often was that being recruited by Ducks, Ty was a true Duck and he was our 5*.

I remember grumblings about how Oregon keeps bringing in grad transfers. Fans wanted Oregon recruits developed into stars and thought that was what was going to get Ducks to the promise land. An argument I don't fully disagre with.

Seems the thought on this has flipped a bit. I remember getting into some mildly heated debates here about the Bo Nix acquisition.

Some great points were made in opposition to my view on the Nix transfer.

I find myself in opposition with kirkland and kamikazi. This puts me on the other side of what I argued in my pro Nix argument... kind of.

I think Ty is ready to lead. He has all the skill sets needed to play the position at an elite level. He has been poised in the limited snaps he has played. For the first time, he looks the part 

With another spring and fall camp, I think TT will be more than capable of leading this team. Even with the massive expectations put on the Ducks by its Alum and fan base.

I don't think it is vital that Oregon grabs another plug and play elite QB. Of course I wouldn't object, but I think Ty is ready to ball out next year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with you O Great Hauler of Logs!  

If our 5* commits don’t get a shot because we are bringing in “experience” the 5* commits will soon figure it out and commit elsewhere.

Bringing in transfers doesn’t always pay off.  For every Nix we had a Brown and for every Vernon Adams we have had a Dakota Pruckup

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I would say odds are 98% there will be a transfer QB next year. That doesn't mean TT won't get every opportunity to win the job; but, I can't imagine really any scenario where it is TT, Novosad, and two true freshman.

After what Bo has accomplished as a transfer at Oregon and the last two seasons of Oregon's offense putting up numbers, I would be mildly surprised if it wasn't either a big name (from prior recruiting cycles) or an already accomplished QB looking for a new start.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:21 PM, AnotherOD said:

I would say odds are 98% there will be a transfer QB next year. That doesn't mean TT won't get every opportunity to win the job; but, I can't imagine really any scenario where it is TT, Novosad, and two true freshman.

Totally agree with this. In my eyes, Thompson has not shown any signs of greatness in the limited time he has gotten. In fact, the signs are mostly of not being ready for the job, sad to say. Seems like a great kid, but unless he's a real late bloomer, I don't think he's the guy. I'll hope for late blooming.

• Applause 2

Don't know why a runningback would want to play at USC... That offensive line gives them nothing and they'll be passed over for the pass game... Literally! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, PittDuck said:

I agree with you O Great Hauler of Logs!  

If our 5* commits don’t get a shot because we are bringing in “experience” the 5* commits will soon figure it out and commit elsewhere.

Bringing in transfers doesn’t always pay off.  For every Nix we had a Brown and for every Vernon Adams we have had a Dakota Pruckup

I don't know about that. If you're a highly touted 5* QB recruit then you should be able to at least compete for QB1 or QB2 right away and coaches would have that as a reasonable expectation. If it's 3 years later and you're still not showing any concrete signs that you're "the man" then it's likely not going to work out.

I'd also argue that Brown was a decent QB but like Herbert was hamstrung by Cristobal's stone age offense.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:17 PM, kirklandduck said:

I'd also argue that Brown was a decent QB but like Herbert was hamstrung by Cristobal's stone age offense.

As was Thompson, freshman year under Mariø was not helpful. Followed by 2 years behind Nix. It's unfair to grade Thompson with that history.

Put the 1's around him making plays and I think Thompson will thrive. He will gain confidence and with 2 years eligibility, he can be an above avg to very good QB his senior year (25 season). 

With the trajectory Oregons D is on, it could be enough to get into playoff and take a run at the NC.

TT could be just as good as Stetson Bennett (above avg). TT has a huge arm and above avg legs. He looked like a QB in the games he has seen this year.

• Great post! 2

On 10/27/2023 at 6:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

It's unfair to grade Thompson with that history.

Sorry, my Duck-Buddy.  I disagree.

If Ty Thompson is our QB...we are screwed.  (IMHO)

I do believe in the potential of Luke Moga, and Austin Novosad, but we need a one-year band aid at QB, in my opinion.  But that is for the off-season....let's savor this year and all the potential it brings!

Ty Thompson by J3P.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bring in a transfer if need be and let the best man win the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although TT has a great arm and can be slippery running the ball he seems to lack the ability to play the position. 
Ty is a good example of inaccurate star ratings at the high school level. Herbert and MM were rated far lower than TT. Go figure.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, ElPatoUO said:

I hope nobody on a message board can, with a straight face, claim the coaches would be making a mistake if they bring in a QB transfer, when they are dealing with 1/1,000th the information....and probably aren't qualified to even judge that minuscule fraction.

Many, with a straight face, did exactly that when Bo was brought in last year. I was in the minority last year with my takes on the Nix transfer. Looks like I am in the minority again. Seems to be a good place to be.

I was a Bo fan when he was with Auburn. He was faced with coaching problems the Ducks never had even with slick and mc. The tigers had turned into a mess. I loved the fact he was coming to Eugene and so did he. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Its a toss up for me at the QB position. However, as a coach, if a game smart, talented, proven, experienced QB is available and fits my scheme, i would take him.

One injury to TT and a redshirt freshman or true freshmen at the helm? No thanks. Look at the mistakes the freshmen QB at UCLA has made. The QB at Arizona stepped in well, however he hss yet to face a D. The Beavers D will be a big test.

No substitute for game day experience 

Staying on topic, i would be excited for any high quality, mean, nasty DL/OL portals that fit DL's needs.

Does usc have any of those?

Next year USC could be looking at a record of 4-8 or worse. They just don't have any superior talent on their lines and some horrible coaching.

Rumor is Riley will be forced to clean house with the coaching which should result in a hit to recruiting and players getting used to a new D system.

Williams should be leaving. Their LB's, Db's are subpar. The receivers are over rated except for Branch.  

The only DL or OL that USC has that could be of interest is Bear Alexander......all the others IMO are not worth much. Bear is undisciplined so I'am not sure he would fit the Oregon coaching staff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think Ty is ready to lead. He has all the skill sets needed to play the position at an elite level. He has been poised in the limited snaps he has played. For the first time, he looks the part 

With another spring and fall camp, I think TT will be more than capable of leading this team. Even with the massive expectations put on the Ducks by its Alum and fan base.

I don't think it is vital that Oregon grabs another plug and play elite QB. Of course I wouldn't object, but I think Ty is ready to ball out next year.

TT has looked much better this year.  Hopefully, it has clicked for him and he can take full advantage of his natural talents.

That said, elite teams constantly bring in elite talent to compete, at every position, year-after-year (e.g., USC under Pete Carroll, Bama under Nick Saban). 

Unless the coaches are 100% confident that TT is capable of leading Oregon to a national championship then you should bring in an experienced QB via the transfer portal and let them compete in spring and fall camp for the starting position.  The same should be true for every other position...you have to win your job every year. Nothing is going to be handed to you based on your past success (look at Oregon's secondary this year, as an example).

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:40 AM, fred flintstone said:

The only DL or OL that USC has that could be of interest is Bear Alexander......all the others IMO are not worth much. Bear is undisciplined so I'am not sure he would fit the Oregon coaching staff. 

It's a big tell when Lanning, who was around him at Georgia, didn't pursue him in the portal at all. Lanning didn't want him. 

• Applause 1

I also like how Lincoln Riley and USC are loading up on skill positions (mostly through the transfer portal) but Oregon continues to win the battles for blue chip offensive and defensive lineman.  It doesn't matter how many skilled players you have, if Oregon is blowing up the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Lanning is building Oregon's roster for the long-term.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, PittDuck said:

I thought the same thing would happen at USC under Pete Carroll when he would sign 5-star after 5-star (and Oregon was happy to get a few of those recruits, at the time, like DAT).  The same could be said about Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State today.

However, elite recruits usually have supreme confidence in their abilities (some may call it arrogance). These players have known nothing but success, dominated at every level and been told how amazing they are by family, friends, fans, recruiters, coaches, etc.  They believe that they will be able win the starting job because they are different, faster, stronger, better, etc. than other players (past or present).

As long as Oregon keeps winning on the field, creates a good environment for the athletes and sending players to the NFL, the high level recruits will keep coming.

I like the way Jonathan Smith is developing his new promising freshman QB. I just watched a game from a few weeks ago. Pre-game, Smith decided that the third possession belonged to the freshman. He came in, did well, and then sat out while DJU came in and finished.

We have all said that the only way to learn the game is to play the game. We've also said that taking snaps when the game is no longer on the line and just handing off helps, but it is not the same.

When we are favored by 3 touchdowns, why not give a guy (who might have to be called in on a moment's notice to finish out a game) the 3rd or fourth possession while the game is still up in the air?

• Like 1